Keller gone

Joe Jets fan

Dolphins | Agree to terms with Dustin Keller 
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:38:08 -0700

The Miami Dolphins agreed to terms with TE Dustin Keller (Jets) on a one-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

FANTASY TIP: Keller should see his value increase in Miami, where the passing game is a huge upgrade over the offense he was in with the Jets.

Comment | Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2NckDQVbS :mad0222: 

Manish Mehta 12m.

Dustin Keller signed with the Dolphins, according to his brother's tweets about 15 minutes ago. #nyj

Beat Writer / Columnist 

I hate that he went to the Fish.

Guess that means you can put TE in the 2nd on your mock draft.  Question is will it be the Jets pick at 39, or the Bucs

Obligatory "falls down without contact on his way out the door" comment.

I won't miss him. I liked his potential, but it never realized, and he was part of the Mark Sanchez pampering crew, with Braylon, so, hopefully with Sanchez buried on our bench, he won't be needed for cheering up the mopiest QB on Earth.

I didn't mind him as a player, and he was fun to watch...though despite his breakaway speed he rarely scored from outside the red zone.  

My beef with him is that he only entertained three teams (Dolphins, Bills, and Giants). 

Here's hoping Los Yets have a LBer next year who hits him hard, first thing. Not a fan favorite here at all. My problem with him is that he always came across as soft. I wonder how much Sanchez dragged him down. I suspect a lot.

Time to get taller and more physical at the position.

agree, IF and a big IF he is on field. The guy is injury jinxed or a pussy who cant play thru the pain.

I'd imagine last year's "injury" had a lot more to do with him sitting out the dumpster fire rather than going out there and looking bad on a bad offense.

I'd imagine last year's "injury" had a lot more to do with him sitting out the dumpster fire rather than going out there and looking bad on a bad offense.

well that speaks volumes LOL

Seriously though, F him. Several of us noticed same shiit last year with him. He gained weight and looked sluggish, slow out there. Not a good trait for a TE who is supposed to be a decent speed pass TE.

Lets also face it,,Fan 101  (I am just as guilty)...We always over rate our teams players.

There is a reason Idzik let him walk. he is OK, but there are NO AllPro teams in his future.

well that speaks volumes LOL

Seriously though, F him. Several of us noticed same shiit last year with him. He gained weight and looked sluggish, slow out there. Not a good trait for a TE who is supposed to be a decent speed pass TE.

Lets also face it,,Fan 101  (I am just as guilty)...We always over rate our teams players.

There is a reason Idzik let him walk. he is OK, but there are NO AllPro teams in his future.

He put up numbers with a putrid QB, so I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Sparano came in here and tried to turn him into Howard Cross, which was never going to work. Philbin's offense asks the TE to do what Keller does--run past LB's and catch a bunch of passes. I think it's possible he puts up an 80/950/8-type season.

He put up numbers with a putrid QB, so I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Sparano came in here and tried to turn him into Howard Cross, which was never going to work. Philbin's offense asks the TE to do what Keller does--run past LB's and catch a bunch of passes. I think it's possible he puts up an 80/950/8-type season.

If he gets back in shape like I said.

I liked him but literally every time he caught the ball, I felt he was going to fumble from trying to dive over someone or spin off of someone, or something else like that.  And for a big guy, I feel he's kinda on the soft side. 

Am I right that if we don't sign a big name we get a 3rd round comp pick in 2014? If we do it's not a bad deal.

Probably more like a 5th or a 6th.  We're not going to get a 3rd round pick for failing to re-sign a guy getting $4.25M.  

Think we got a 6th for Ellis and his contract with NE was similar.  But he was a DE not a TE and DE salaries are higher.  Maybe someone who has a better grasp of the secret formula can chime in but I'd expect a 5th give or take a round.

Reaction: Jets should've kept Keller

March, 15, 2013
Mar 15

12:43

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Recommend1
Tweet14
Comments92
Email
Print

Some quick thoughts on the Jets' latest defection -- TE Dustin Keller leaving to take his talents to South Beach for a one-year contract with the Dolphins:

QUESTIONABLE MOVE: I can understand why the Jets let RB Shonn Greene, S LaRon Landry, S Yeremiah Bell and, to a lesser extent, DT Mike DeVito walk out the door, but this Keller situation puzzles me. He's only 28, still in his prime. He's a pass-catching tight end whose skills would've translated nicely into Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast system. He probably didn't break the bank with the Dolphins (guessing around $3 million), so the cost wouldn't have been prohibitive. It's not like they have no cap space; the latest estimate is about $14 million under the cap. It seems that new GM John Idzik has it in his mind that he has to strip down the entire operation.

TOUGH MARKET: Obviously, Keller wanted a long-term deal, but he was undermined by two factors: The tight end market dried up quickly, and his value took a hit because he missed eight games last season due to hamstring and ankle injuries. The durability question is bogus because he didn't miss a game in his first four seasons. He got unlucky at the worst time. Stuff happens. At the end of the season, he talked about not wanting the franchise tag because it afforded no long-term security. As it turned out, he got a scaled-down version of a franchise tag.

NOW WHAT?: The Jets' starting tight end will be Jeff Cumberland, a restricted free agent who received the low tender ($1.3 million). This is troubling. He played in 55 percent of the offensive snaps last season, finishing with 29 catches for 359 yards and three touchdowns -- all career highs. He has the athletic ability, but I wonder if he has the route-running discipline to thrive in a West Coast offense. He doesn't have the same rapport with QB Mark Sanchez that Keller did.

MIAMI NICE: Well, say this for the Dolphins: They're winning the offseason. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. Remember the "Dream Team" Eagles of two years ago? That said, I think Keller will be a good pick-up for them. Coach Joe Philbin employs a West Coast attack, and Keller will give them more in the passing game than his predecessor, Anthony Fasano (Chiefs). Because he's on a one-year contract, Keller will be highly motivated in advance of another bite at free agency.

I liked Keller but I'm not killing myself over this, and some people seem to be really upset? I'm not happy he's in Miami but beyond that, what's the big deal? The team wasn't going to be great next year anyway. He's solid but he's replaceable.

Here's hoping Los Yets have a LBer next year who hits him hard, first thing. Not a fan favorite here at all. My problem with him is that he always came across as soft. I wonder how much Sanchez dragged him down. I suspect a lot.

Time to get taller and more physical at the position.

I always thought he was dumb.  People would say he disappeared during games.  I always thought he was one of those guys who missed his assignments.

I always thought he was dumb.  People would say he disappeared during games.  I always thought he was one of those guys who missed his assignments.

Sure, the problem is that we know for sure the guy in charge of getting him and everyone else the ball definitely missed his assignments. That's the problem with evaluating the Jets' recent offensive skill guys...there's that huge "Sanchez sucks" factor.

Reaction: Jets should've kept Keller

March, 15, 2013

Mar 15

12:43

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Recommend1

Tweet14

Comments92

Email

Print

NOW WHAT?: The Jets' starting tight end will be Jeff Cumberland, a restricted free agent who received the low tender ($1.3 million). This is troubling. He played in 55 percent of the offensive snaps last season, finishing with 29 catches for 359 yards and three touchdowns -- all career highs. He has the athletic ability, but I wonder if he has the route-running discipline to thrive in a West Coast offense. He doesn't have the same rapport with QB Mark Sanchez that Keller did.

Thanks Richy, because this is certainly the barometer with which we should base all of our future moves off of.

Archived