Offense:
We have 5 major positions to address during FA and draft:

QB - Sanchez ---> Geno Smith ®
OG - Brandon Moore ----> Brian Winters ®, Stephen Peterman

OG - Matt Slausson ----> Willie Colon
TE - Dustin Keller
RB - Shonne Greene ----> Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson

QB: GarrardGeno Smith, Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy, 

It appears Idzik is going to do what Pete Carroll and Mike Shanahan like to do, which is bring a bunch of QBs in and the best player plays. My expectation: We are taking 5 QBs into camp

RB: Chris Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight,
FB: Hilliard, Tommy Bohannon
WR: Santonio, Kerley, Gates,
WR: (+another WR), Hill, Schillens, White
TE: (+another TE), Cumberland, Reuland, Hayden
We could use more talent at RB, WR and TE, but we do have enough players under contract to field. My expectation: TE is the priority, we will also add another RB and WR

LT: Ferguson
LG: Colon, Peterman, William Campbell
C: Mangold, Schlauderaff
RG: Winters, Ducasse
RT: Howard, Oday Aboushi
Ducasse can be used at OG, my guess is they'll have 8 OL on the active roster, meaning another OT and another OG are pending. My expectation: 2 more OL will be added

Defense:

ILB - Scott

OLB - Bryan Thomas ----> Antwan Barnes

DT - Pouha ----> Sheldon Richardson ®
DT - Devito ----> Antonio Garay
FS - Bell

SS - Laron Landry -----> Dawan Landry

CB - Revis -----> Dee Milliner ®

DE: Mohammed Wilkerson

DT: Kenrick Ellis, Sheldon RichardsonAntonio Garay, Damon Harrison
DE: Quinton Coples
Our starters are in place, Ellis replace Pouha, and Garay takes the role of Ellis from last year I'm guessing, now it comes down to replacing DeVito and building depth / adding prospects. My expectation: We'll be adding 2-3 guys for depth on the DL.

OLB: Pace, McIntyre (+ another OLB)

ILB: Harris

ILB: Davis, Bellore
OLB: Antwan Barnes, Sapp

CB: Cromartie, Lankster, Walls

CB: Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson
(Update: Revis traded.) Whether or not Revis is traded will determine everything here. We should still be adding a CB. My expectation: If we trade Revis, we'll be adding a CB possibly via FA and the draft, but that trade affords us the picks (in theory) to draft a lot of the players we need to address everything else I've pointed out. If we keep him, we better do it with a team-friendly extension. Then we'd be fine at CB.

FS: Allen (+another FS)

SS: Dawan Landry, Josh Bush 
We need more bodies here. My expectation: This is a deep safety draft, so we'll be adding some decent prospects.

Red = Ape's 'absolute needs'
Green = Ape's 'nice to have' needs
Bue = new additions, additions they made that I didn't particular call for

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My preggers wife decided to take a mid-morning nap, so I'm bored. I'll try to keep the original post updated through the coming months. It's not perfect, and the red/blue/green commentary is obviously subjective. I'm not expert, I just like making lists I guess... 

LOL, I'm a creative director. I probably don't need to ask, but ... what emotions do the colors evoke from you?

They make me want you all the more.

The optimistic view would suggest that we draft Jarvis Jones or Mingo, and they become DeMarcus Ware, and then get a plus safety, plus TE out of the draft, all of which is feasible. As to FA's, maybe Mornhinweg can fix Kolb (who we sign to a 3 yr, $9 mil deal), along with someone like Umenyiora getting stuck with a one-year, show-me deal. Then it's just a matter of hitting on a bunch of low-round picks and UDFA's who develop quickly.

My preggers wife decided to take a mid-morning nap, so I'm bored. I'll try to keep the original post updated through the coming months. It's not perfect, and the red/blue/green commentary is obviously subjective. I'm not expert, I just like making lists I guess... 

If you plan on keeping this updated that would be great.  It is a really nice and easy to read update on the team.  Thanks.

And I like the colors.

If you plan on keeping this updated that would be great.  It is a really nice and easy to read update on the team.  Thanks.

And I like the colors.

I'm going to try, I may not be up-to-the-minute, but I'll try to be timely.

The optimistic view would suggest that we draft Jarvis Jones or Mingo, and they become DeMarcus Ware, and then get a plus safety, plus TE out of the draft, all of which is feasible. As to FA's, maybe Mornhinweg can fix Kolb (who we sign to a 3 yr, $9 mil deal), along with someone like Umenyiora getting stuck with a one-year, show-me deal. Then it's just a matter of hitting on a bunch of low-round picks and UDFA's who develop quickly.

In addition to that it would be nice if Tanny left us with a going away present that we don't already know about from last years draft.  A Josh Bush, Antonio Allen or Jordan White that stepped up and contributed would be a nice parting gift from Tanny.

I'm going to try, I may not be up-to-the-minute, but I'll try to be timely.

No, we need up to the minute.  Please develop an app so you can get it done within 30 seconds of any roster move.  :)

I think the 2nd and 3rd wave of free agency will be good to us. As I've pointed out in other threads, Idzik is using FA like the middle rounds of a draft. Not looking for stars, but looking for youth, and value.

I agree with your list, and think we should overlook the youth we added last year. I really just see no reason to be pessimistic that the nucleus of young talent is in tact, while we are replacing role-players and trying to position ourselves for another injection of youth... all while looking for a way to get us out from under Sanchez. Which is ultimately what it all boils down to... Sanchez lost multiple games last year on his own. Remove that variable and we aren't in such bad shape. Now remove Sanchez along with some of the dead weight like Scott, Pace and Thomas, and what? We have slim chance to see a major turnaround?

Worst case, we match what we did last year - because we are young, not old.

Best case, we eclipse it as we see young up-level us.

I dont' see us getting much worse.

You left Mauga off the ILB list and they tendered him.  IMO he is well ahead of Bellore on the chart. He was actually getting run ahead of Davis ealy in the year.  Nice depth player, injury concerns, cheap

I'm not sure about the status of Isiah Trufant, but he was a very nice bottom of the roster CB.  He was an exclusive rights FA, but I'm not sure it that means anything now.  Coming off a serious knee injury, so maybe he isn't ready.

Schilens is a FA.  I don't think they will have him back. 

You don't list Damon Harrison the NT they kept most of the year - probably due to the constant injuries of Pouha, Ellis and Devito being dinged.

I think they may look at Colon as a swing guy.  I obviously am higher on Ducasse than most here.  I think he looked at least fair last year.  Duguglielmo's comments weren't exactly a ringing endorsement, but Gug's talent evaluation and mouth were already suspect (see Hunter, Wayne). If it were me I would add another OG - draft is supposed to be loaded with them and play the best 2 and then possibly have Colon as a top backup at all spots assuming he doesn't win a starting job.  They also have Landolt a T from Penn State they kept around most of last year for no discernable reason.  They must like him, but with a new GM and OC that might not mean much.

There are a few other guys of interest signed, but at best a couple will see game action.  Darrin Walls a CB that played some down the stretch. Jaquawn Jarrett S that will be in the competition.  Bret Lockett a S who has been around a few year, basically a STer but he had a Manti T'eo with Kim Kardashian. . Donnie Fletcher a CB that was around most of last year. 

Lex Hilliard and John Griffin will be in the mix for roster spots but don't really change predictions because they don't solve spots of need per the Ape.  There are a bunch of WR they had in during camp and the season while guys were injured that they may or may not like that signed futures deals.  Some may have been higher on their list than guys like Gates.

Royce Pollard and Titus Ryan off the top of my head.

I was just taking a peek ahead at who the players are that are likely to be on the 2014 roster. It's a fairly blank slate. Just a cursory overview. If anyone sees discrepancies, feel free to add/correct.

QB: None.

McElroy is the only one whose contract extends beyond this year, and he's not making it out of camp. Tebow will be released soon, Sanchez after the season. Garrard is on a one year deal.

RB: Bilal Powell and Mike Goodson.

McKnight's contract is up at the end of the season (IIRC).

WR: Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Clyde Gates

Gates might show enough as a return man to replace McKnight. Holmes will be cut.

TE: None

Cumberland was tendered, so he's on a show-me deal. The rugby player and Konrad Reuland terminate at the end of this season.

OL: Brick, Mangold, Schlauderaff

Howard and Colon are on one-year deals. Vlad is up at the end of 2013.

DL: Wilkerson, Coples, Harrison, Ellis

Good shape overall.

LB: Demario Davis

Harris will be cut or violently restructured. Sapp is up, Bellore is up, Mauga is up.

S: Josh Bush, Antonio Allen

One or both need to step forward

CB: Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson

Assuming Revis is traded/not restructured,

I agree that it is a blank slate (good thing) but I think way more of those guys will be back.  They just don't have to be.  Won't some of those guys be RFA that can be retained if they don't suck?  For instance Ducasse if he is an okay level starter?  McKnight, Reuland, Hayden Smith.  I can't remember the new RFA rules.  Some of the bigger deals will probably redo their contracts sooner rather than later, depending on if they want to sign somebody (Kolb).  A guy like Harris that is a good player but makes way too much for instance.

I was just taking a peek ahead at who the players are that are likely to be on the 2014 roster. It's a fairly blank slate. Just a cursory overview. If anyone sees discrepancies, feel free to add/correct.

McElroy is the only one whose contract extends beyond this year, and he's not making it out of camp. Tebow will be released soon, Sanchez after the season. Garrard is on a one year deal.

Gates might show enough as a return man to replace McKnight. Holmes will be cut.

Cumberland was tendered, so he's on a show-me deal. The rugby player and Konrad Reuland terminate at the end of this season.

Good shape overall.

Harris will be cut or violently restructured. Sapp is up, Bellore is up, Mauga is up.

An edit with salary numbers would be greatly appreciated...lol, or is that asking to much?

I think if we trade Revis, we're dumb!!! For real, we have a couple of the best DB's in the league, and we will trade the #1??? Its nuts!!! No man in conscience will do that! That's is my opinion! Losing Revis, we're saying good bye to our secondary!!

One of the things we have best is the depth of DB's!!!

I just saying!!!

I think if we trade Revis, we're dumb!!! For real, we have a couple of the best DB's in the league, and we will trade the #1??? Its nuts!!! No man in conscience will do that! That's is my opinion! Losing Revis, we're saying good bye to our secondary!!

One of the things we have best is the depth of DB's!!!

I just saying!!!

There are ample threads to have the Revis debate in, this thread was started as more of a "roster tracker" than a "let's also argue about Revis here" thread. Thanks for contributing, but can we steer the Revis argument back to one of the many Revis threads? Thanks.

I haven't seen much of Garay, but he is a little smaller than Jenkins and Ellis. It's possible that they plan to use him in the Devito role  a bit more than the Pouha role. I've heard he was a bit more one-gapper, so that might be more fitting.  Obviously they are looking to Coples to take the majority of those snaps, but they might have been looking for a run stopper to play DE/DT as much as a backup mountain.

Hey I-28: check your messages here, I sent you something that I wanted to see if you could figure out how to post in this thread for me-thanks brother

Saw it, cool find.

I'm going to put the link here for now.

When I have some free time I'll try to put the screen capture in, problem is, it's always going to be fluid. Might be better just to check the link regularly? I dunno.

Thanks man

Saw it, cool find.

I'm going to put the link here for now.

When I have some free time I'll try to put the screen capture in, problem is, it's always going to be fluid. Might be better just to check the link regularly? I dunno.

Thanks man

yea they are the best-a few years ago they went to pay-only site, and then last season they started letting us view the depth charts for free. They are the best out there too

Good shape overall.

Thats why Idzik's success or failure will be based almost entirely on the next two drafts (this years and next years). His moves thus far have set it up to be so. 

If, by May 2014, he lands us a good QB, a dominant pass rusher, and 2 capable long-term starters on the OL and LB corps's than he will be considered a success. 

If not - failure. 

Thats why Idzik's success or failure will be based almost entirely on the next two drafts (this years and next years). His moves thus far have set it up to be so. 

If, by May 2014, he lands us a good QB, a dominant pass rusher, and 2 capable long-term starters on the OL and LB corps's than he will be considered a success. 

If not - failure. 

Very true.  Idzik at this point is slashing players, looking to slash more next year and signing mostly guys who will be one or two year rentals.

The draft over the next two years as well as the coaching staff will determine Idzki's success.  If Rex is fired, it becomes who is hired and how they do.

Archived