DHB drawing interest from Jets

F.Chowds

DHB drawing interest from Jets, not Colts

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2013, 7:04 AM EDT
darrius_heyward_bey_107847531.jpg?w=250Getty Images

The recent, periodic flurries of tweets from Colts owner Jim Irsay have made it clear that the Colts are and have been pursuing a receiver.

As Irsay said Sunday, it’s not current Giants receiver Victor Cruz.  As a source with knowledge of the situation told PFT on Sunday night, it’s also not former Raiders receiverDarrius Heyward-Bey.

Cut on Tuesday, the seventh overall pick in the 2009 draft hasn’t generated much buzz.  However, we’re told that the Jets have interest in Heyward-Bey.

It’s unclear at this point whether Heyward-Bey has interest in the Jets.

The former Maryland speedster seemed to be on the verge of breaking out in 2011, with 975 receiving yards on 65 catches.  But his production dropped by roughly a third in 2012, so the Raiders dropped the remainder of his pre-rookie wage scale contract.

I posted this in another thread.  Here is the side-by-side comparison of DHB and Stephen Hill.  Very similar numbers.  I'd be okay bringing him in on the cheap.  Hands are still suspect, but you can't deny his 9-route.  

Hill (6'4, 215) ran a 4.36 forty, and jumped a 39.5'' vert... 133'' broad...   Hand size = 9 3/8  Arm length = 33 3/8

Heyward-Bey (6'2, 210) ran a 4.30 forty, and jumped a 38.5'' vert... 126'' broad...  Hand size = 9'  Arm length = 33 5/8

I posted this in another thread.  Here is the side-by-side comparison of DHB and Stephen Hill.  Very similar numbers.  I'd be okay bringing him in on the cheap.  Hands are still suspect, but you can't deny his 9-route.  

Hill (6'4, 215) ran a 4.36 forty, and jumped a 39.5'' vert... 133'' broad...   Hand size = 9 3/8  Arm length = 33 3/8

Heyward-Bey (6'2, 210) ran a 4.30 forty, and jumped a 38.5'' vert... 126'' broad...  Hand size = 9'  Arm length = 33 5/8

Sweet, so we'd have to fast tall dudes who cant play WR.

This type of move would signal to me the Jets would be looking for the QB in this years draft that has the biggest upside/score/scouts opinion, whatever you want to call it, that has the biggest arm, and most accurate deep ball thrower, I think that would put M Glennon on a watch list for the NYJ's in round #3 if he is available, I think Idzik is smart enough to not reach in RD 2 for a project, where in RD 3 it's no longer a reach.

DHB would be a nice signing, low risk deal.

But, how are they supposed to be running a WCO with receivers like DHB and Hill? They are both vertical receivers, not horizontal.

Marty Morn's offense is predicated on deep shots. He takes more deep shots than most WCO. 

This type of move would signal to me the Jets would be looking for the QB in this years draft that has the biggest upside/score/scouts opinion, whatever you want to call it, that has the biggest arm, and most accurate deep ball thrower, I think that would put M Glennon on a watch list for the NYJ's in round #3 if he is available, I think Idzik is smart enough to not reach in RD 2 for a project, where in RD 3 it's no longer a reach.

I don't think you mess around at QB. You don't decide one guy is a reach and wait around to take another guy that might not be a reach a round later.  QB is like a light switch.  He is either on or off, good or bad. A 3rd round QB that hits is worth a million Kellen Clemens.  If they like Glennon they aren't going to wait around.  QB is too important to gamble and wait around.  FWIW, I think they may just live with what they have, plus some other lousy FA and hope somebody steps up.

Marty Morn's offense is predicated on deep shots. He takes more deep shots than most WCO. 

Not to mention IF Rex is a 1 year hold over in Idzik's mind, then so is MM, yes a 1 year deal with DHB would be something geared towards MM, but if its a multi year deal it has nothing to do with what MM wants to do on offense.

Really?  I think improving our WR depth really has nothing to do with our QB situation.  I wouldn't be surprised if we add KK and dismiss the position entirely on draft weekend. 

Really?  I think improving our WR depth really has nothing to do with our QB situation.  I wouldn't be surprised if we add KK and dismiss the position entirely on draft weekend. 

Dismissing the QB in the draft this year would be a bad idea, TBH you should draft one every single year, even if its in the late rounds, you just never know, you can't win the lotto if you don't play.

While we are talking about name WRs that are floating around, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Breaston. He visited a few teams and no contract, but I heard his knee is still healing.  He might be done, but he would probably be a better fit than DHB.  You think they'd have him in to gauge contract terms and then wait to see how he heals.

LOL.

What am I missing here?  What makes Florio think  the Jets have any interest in DHB?   Who told him that?  Mehta?

Got to call BS on this story.  Just doesn't make any sense to me if you look at what the Jets have been doing.

#27TheDominator, on 18 Mar 2013 - 11:59, said:

While we are talking about name WRs that are floating around, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Breaston. He visited a few teams and no contract, but I heard his knee is still healing. He might be done, but he would probably be a better fit than DHB. You think they'd have him in to gauge contract terms and then wait to see how he heals.

He's too old, too many stops. DHB is the better upside play.

I wanted this the day he was released. Of the Top 3 WR's the JETS have question marks against 2 of them. So signing his would be a big upgrade at the WR position.

And for all those guys who say he cannot catch he had 975 yards in 15 games couple of seasons ago and he was not too shabby last year.

The question is the price. As long as it is reasonable price he should be signed.

They are going to suck next year. Why not bring in some high ceiling guys who might contribute the next time the Jets are good?

BC they might produce and ruin the Plan. Can't draft an underclassmen QB without these guys remaining as they are PLUS you're forcing players in new coach and new QB.

I don't think you mess around at QB. You don't decide one guy is a reach and wait around to take another guy that might not be a reach a round later.  QB is like a light switch.  He is either on or off, good or bad. A 3rd round QB that hits is worth a million Kellen Clemens.  If they like Glennon they aren't going to wait around.  QB is too important to gamble and wait around.  FWIW, I think they may just live with what they have, plus some other lousy FA and hope somebody steps up.

heheheh...you said "reach around"....

I wanted this the day he was released. Of the Top 3 WR's the JETS have question marks against 2 of them. So signing his would be a big upgrade at the WR position.

And for all those guys who say he cannot catch he had 975 yards in 15 games couple of seasons ago and he was not too shabby last year.

The question is the price. As long as it is reasonable price he should be signed.

Yeah that’s the big question.  Define reasonable.   The Jets have signed 4 FA’s to fill starting spots, or at least compete for them. 

The most they have paid any of them is 2.3 million.  Most of them were around 1million 

When Revis is traded, it will be a $13,000,000 cap hit.  Not going to leave much for a rookie class,

I just don’t think he is going to fit into the Jets strategy as far as the cap situation goes, and I don’t think they are going to spend money for a player that they already have a clone of him on the team.  Hill

SenorGato, on 18 Mar 2013 - 13:15, said:

BC they might produce and ruin the Plan. Can't draft an underclassmen QB without these guys remaining as they are PLUS you're forcing players in new coach and new QB.

If DHB lives up to even a small part of his potential with the jets, i'm sure the next coach/QB would be glad to have him. Also do you really think it's likely that the Jets are going to "produce" and have a winning year this season? With this roster?

I mean it's possible... It's also possible that Jennifer Lawrence will fall in love with me or that I'll win the Mega Millions...

Yeah that’s the big question.  Define reasonable.   The Jets have signed 4 FA’s to fill starting spots, or at least compete for them. 

The most they have paid any of them is 2.3 million.  Most of them were around 1million 

When Revis is traded, it will be a $13,000,000 cap hit.  Not going to leave much for a rookie class,

I just don’t think he is going to fit into the Jets strategy as far as the cap situation goes, and I don’t think they are going to spend money for a player that they already have a clone of him on the team.  Hill

You sure about that ?

Archived