Antwan Barnes signs with the Jets

gsnts725

i like this player but his signing is not enough to preclude OLB at 9. The Jets have Garrett McIntyre and Antwan Barnes starting...  not even close to enough. 

It might be enough in this rebuild year :( .. I dont see Idzik going nuts in 2013. I think W/L record a distant priority to down the road health and consistency.

i like this player but his signing is not enough to preclude OLB at 9. The Jets have Garrett McIntyre and Antwan Barnes starting...  not even close to enough. 

Agreed.  Moves to fill an immediate need should not divert from the building process.  If Jones is there at 9, and checks out physically, he's my guy.

Of course not, but while some fans may wish it, the truth is Idzik isn't even trying to preclude anything, rather he's simply trying to make sure he isn't forced into anything either.  McIntyre and Barnes is far from ideal as their starters, but before that it was McIntyre and absolutely nobody, which is quite a bit worse.  Idzik wants to give himself as much freedom as possible to go BPA, whatever position he may play.

Of course not, but while some fans may wish it, the truth is Idzik isn't even trying to preclude anything, rather he's simply trying to make sure he isn't forced into anything either. McIntyre and Barnes is far from ideal as their starters, but before that it was McIntyre and absolutely nobody, which is quite a bit worse. Idzik wants to give himself as much freedom as possible to go BPA, whatever position he may play.

This sounds like a pretty new strategy to the Jets.

I know he's a favorite sleeper on the internet but what's the difference between Butler and Barnes? Not even saying to not sign Butler, just curious. They seem like very similar players - mediocre against the run but capable of being interesting pass rushers. Butler's bigger, which is a major advantage. 

I don't know who Barnes is to tell you the difference between the two but could tell you about Butler if that helps? I can tell you Butler is reliable dropping back into coverage and could be use in a Bart Scott role like Ryan did with him in Dallas, which was play him at ILB in blitz packages.

Jets | Sign Antwan Barnes

Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:29:33 -0700

The New York Jets signed LB Antwan Barnes (Chargers) Monday, Mar. 18. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Share: twitter.jpg facebook.jpg | Source: PhiladelphiaEagles.com

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl/new-york-jets#ixzz2NvuQzcxE

Jets | Antwan Barnes contract update 

Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:06:05 -0700

Updating a previous report, the New York Jets signed LB Antwan Barnes to a three-year deal. He will make $900,000 on 2013 and $1.2 million in 2014 and 2015. The contract includes incentives in the second and third year that can earn Barnes more money.

Comment | Source: New York Daily News - Seth Walder | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2NvuZehbl

Solid signing in my book...

Even if he starts this year and isnt top notch, when we have cap space next year, he is a solid back up for the next two years....how you build a solid squad front to back...ok with Idzik, so far.

When Joe Klecko retired and went to the Steelers as an DL cosultant, I think it was Joe Greene said “I don’t need anyone to show me how to jump off sides”

If a guy has a tendency to jump offsides, it is far off set, as long as he gets to the QB.

My problem with Barnes is, he only did it one season

He only did it in a few games that season too.    He had like 4 sacks one game against the Ravens.. Kind of revenge I guess.  

Other than that he's a situational pass rusher and coming off an injury.    

Are the only cheap guys available the ones who missed practically a season?  

He only did it in a few games that season too.    He had like 4 sacks one game against the Ravens.. Kind of revenge I guess.  

Other than that he's a situational pass rusher and coming off an injury.    

Are the only cheap guys available the ones who missed practically a season?  

The only cheap ones with any upside, yeah

Dumpable contracts and a very small 3 million dollar jump in cap room to bring down the FA prices? Seems like a decent hand.

Was just going to post this.  He's signed some injury riddled players so far, one's I dont expect much out of...but at least the contracts are disposable.

I dont expect us singing the praises of any of the recent signings.  Maybe Garay because he's just a monster, but with the right draft to compliment these guys, they could be decent depth signings while building a future roster. 

Archived