Why should Revis be valued by the Jets more than by all 31 other teams?

Sperm Edwards

Well, the easy answer is Freeman is a much better QB than anything the Jets have. Doug Martin is a much better running back than anything the Jets have.  Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams are better receivers than the Jets have.  Hell, even old man Dallas Clark was a better TE last year than anything the Jets have.

And now, they have some pretty good defensive players too.  Tampa has a very good offensive squad but they couldn't stop the pass.  They have addressed that area of need and with someone like Darrelle Revis they could take the next step and easily be the 2nd place team ("4th" place was semantics) and a contender for a wild card. 

The Jets with Revis are still a 6-10 or worse team this coming season.  The Bucs with Revis and other additions could easily be 10-6 or better.

Even as bad as Sanchez was last year, the Jets finished 6-10.   The Bucs finished 7-9.     And the jury is still out on Freeman.   He's better than Sanchez at this point, but by how much?    Freeman turned the ball over 27 times in 2011.  Last year he turned the ball over 25 times.   52 turnovers in two seasons.... Don't people laugh at Sanchez for doing that?      I will give Freeman props for being able to throw more TDs, but saying Sanchez is a turnover machine because he's had over 50 turnovers the past two seasons kind of means Freeman is in the same boat.  And he has better weapons, as you said.  

But the Bucs are driving forward like they are a new super bowl contender, while the Jets are in a rebuild.  That's the part that makes no sense.  But I guess the Bucs feel like they can win in the next couple of seasons.  Then again, if they sign Revis to a huge deal,  how are they going to pay Freeman if he pulls a Flacco and wants his 15-20 million next offseason?

My point is, if no team comes up with the $15 mil figure (and, looking at this offseason, teams are refusing to spend all of a sudden), then the Jets become the favorite to re-sign him. Also, what's to stop Idzik in mid-season?

YEP.

If I'm supposed to hold "no comment" and comments from people familiar with his thinking against him, then I'm also going to hold "I want to be a Jet" to be a true statement. 

Revis makes this franchise and team better. 6-10 isn't enough of a reason to dump him for pennies on the dollar. 

If i read this correctly you are saying don't turn down the 1st round pick. Which is fairly reasonable.

the question I have for you is why are the Bucs ambitious after a 7-9 season 4th in Nfc south while the Jets are screwed and rebuilding after 6-10 and 3rd in the AFC east.

the easy answer is that the Bucs are wrong. But I wonder...

dropping bait lines in multiple threads. Bound to catch something big.

dropping bait lines in multiple threads. Bound to catch something big.

when this whole thing started, the idea was that some team that was close to a Super Bowl would take Revis to get them one last shot. A denver or SF.

now the only suitor is tampa bay, who arguably is as close to a Super Bowl as the NYJ. which is to say not at all. 

when this whole thing started, the idea was that some team that was close to a Super Bowl would take Revis to get them one last shot. A denver or SF.

now the only suitor is tampa bay, who arguably is as close to a Super Bowl as the NYJ. which is to say not at all.

You know, I know, we all know Tampa has a much stronger roster and cap situation than the Jets. For one, they still believe in their QB. It's a stupid debate.

You know, I know, we all know Tampa has a much stronger roster and cap situation than the Jets. For one, they still believe in their QB. It's a stupid debate.

They had 1 more win than the Jets. I don't think they are much stronger in any respect. Slightly stronger, ok. But it's two sub .500  teams. 

Which gets us back to the title of this thread-Why aren't teams jumping through hoops in order to have the best cb in all of football?

Could it be he is a pain in the ass?

Could it be that others don't value him the way he values himself?

Could it be that cb is NOT the lynchpin that every club builds around when giving out highest contracts?

Which gets us back to the title of this thread-Why aren't teams jumping through hoops in order to have the best cb in all of football?

Could it be he is a pain in the ass?

Could it be that others don't value him the way he values himself?

Could it be that cb is NOT the lynchpin that every club builds around when giving out highest contracts?

The player for picks trade market isn't about 2 teams helping each other out in a fair value situation.

It's about 1 team screwing the other in an uncomfortable place (like the back of a volkswagen?)

Idzik is not going to get screwed on this deal, that's why it's limping along. 

This is how I look at it. Jets are on the hook for his $9mil in ANY CASE. Thats a sunk cost that should never have any bearing on future business decisions (or football decisions). Jets will have the same amount of cap space when negotiating with Revis in any case. Give him a 5 year $60 mil contract with $30 mil guaranteed. $15mil signing bonus and first two years of guaranteed base.

First year base: 7 mil

second year base: 8 mil

Third year base: 8 Mil

Fourth year base: 11 mil

Fifth Year base: 11 Mil

Cap charges:

2014: $10 mil

2015: $11 mil

2016: $11 mil (cap savings if released $2 mil)

2017: $14 mil (cap savings if released $8 mil)

2018: $14 mil (cap savings if released $11 mil)

Essentially making it a 3 years, 38 mil, or 4 years $49 mil contract (or even a 2 yr 30 mil contract and then trade) .Something like that would be ideal and give the Jets the chance to release him while he turns 31 or 32 and not take on that $14mil cap charge in 2017 or 2018. Its still manageable cap charge pretty much through out till then (contrary to the $14-16mil he is assumed to be targetting) and still gives Revis almost $13mil a season if he stays 3 more years. Probably include incentives in there too to protect us against Revis not being himself after the injury.

I would sign on to locking up Revis with your contract in a heartbeat.  But I don't think Revis would sign your contract.  Even if he did sign it, I'd still be worried about him honoring it with so much of it paid by the end of year 1.  I could literally see him holding out as early as year 2.  Ridiculous as that may sound, I wouldn't be shocked to find Revis viewing the remainder of his contract as:

"I'm playing this year for $8M, which is beneath me as the best defender in the league.  I have outplayed the contract I signed one year ago because back then everyone was worried about my knee, which we now know is 100% back to normal.  To compound matters, after this year the guaranteed portion of my contract is over so I could be released, rendering the last 3 years of my deal fluff/meaningless.  Therefore I am holding out for a new contract with more up-front bonus money or at least give me a $4-6M raise in year 2 and guarantee the following 2 years through 2017."

This is why his trade value is not as high as his past level of play suggests it should be and why Idzik is not batting away awesome offers from all directions 5 times a day.  This is a guy who even hinted at a holdout after even more money was paid to him after 2 years, and year 3 was also for more than this contract. 

So you'd have to put in similar anti-holdout language and I don't think he'll sign another deal like that again.  But I wouldn't trust him with a contract that pays him $22M in year 1 and then "only" $16M over the next 2.

My point with the $3M/year over the next 4 seasons from his current contract was that other teams are making (or not making) trade offers and that's without that extra amount factoring in for their teams.  So what is ultimately the top offer among 31 other teams is cheaper to them than what he would cost the Jets, and people are still saying we shouldn't do it.  If he cost an extra $3M/year over the next 4, our top offer - whatever that ends up being - would be lower.

The player for picks trade market isn't about 2 teams helping each other out in a fair value situation.

It's about 1 team screwing the other in an uncomfortable place (like the back of a volkswagen?)

Idzik is not going to get screwed on this deal, that's why it's limping along. 

I am glad you have faith in the GM, I do also, at least to date.

Yes.  Everyone has a certain value.  The only thing that complicates things are the cap implications from a given player's originating team if a lot of bonus money has been paid.  

How many draft picks would the Jets pay to acquire Aaron Rodgers? 5 number 1 picks? More? Everyone has a value above which no one will out-bid (or turn down).

But even if the top offer for Revis ends up being a mid-#1 in a top-weak draft plus whatever else, I'm sure Idzik will pass that on to any other potentially-interested team to see if they'll outbid it.  If the Jets turn it down, then the Jets are trading away those picks for Revis with a contract that will be voided after this rebuild season that won't result in a SB with or without Revis.

OK

The bolded is simply not true.

The Bucs are not the only suitor.  They are the suitor who has admitted to it to the media.  There are been reports of other suitors.

Archived