lamont to test the market....

spjets

The agent for Jets running back LaMont Jordan said yesterday that his client will test the free-agent market but hasn't shut the door on a possible return to the club.

Free agency starts next Wednesday.

Jordan, who just completed his fourth NFL season, is considered by many the top running back in free agency now that the Seahawks and Colts put their franchise tags on Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James. Jordan hopes to sign a deal that would pay him at least $12 million in guaranteed money.

The Buccaneers, Cardinals, Dolphins, Panthers and Raiders are among the teams who may express an interest in Jordan.

"The Jets have presented us with a very fair offer," Jordan's agent, Alvin Keels, told The Star-Ledger. "LaMont doesn't feel slighted at all. The Jets want to keep him in New York. I realize that and LaMont realizes it. But LaMont feels he owes it to himself to test the market.

"He's excited. He's looking forward to it. But LaMont stressed to me that it's not totally out of the question that he won't be back with the Jets."

That, however, seems unlikely.

Jordan, 26, badly wants to be a starter and that's not going to happen with the Jets next season. That job belongs to Curtis Martin, who won the NFL rushing title last season with 1,377 yards and will earn a base salary of $4.7 million in 2005. At 31, he is showing no signs of slowing down.

Last season, the hard-running, 5-10, 230-pound Jordan rushed for 479 yards and two touchdowns on 93 carries, an impressive 5.2-yard average.

"That (being a starter) is something LaMont really wants," Keels said. "Right now, he has set his heart on being a featured back in the NFL. While the Jets offer a lot of pros, not being the featured back is a con.

"The reason LaMont is exploring free agency isn't so much for the money but the opportunity to show he can be a starting running back in the NFL."

Should Jordan leave, third-year pro B.J. Askew will get the first crack at filling the role as Martin's backup. The Jets would likely draft a running back as well.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/b...39026141640.xml

Be pretty funny next year when BJ Askew is your featured RB after CuMar hits the wall.

That is the single most terrifying thing I have read in a long time.

Jeez, Tex....what's next, you going to tell me the Jets are going to resign Browning Nagle as our #2 (er, #1 when Chad breaks something else this year) QB???

*shiver*

Archived