The OK draft Tavon Austin at 9 I don't care if he's small thread

T0mShane

That's his highlight package from when he destroyed Oklahoma--the game you keep seeing the scouts freak out about on Twitter. Austin outright abuses a defense that includes a buch of NFL players on it. Just silly levels of quickness. Like, Madden-level stupid.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's his highlight package from when he destroyed Oklahoma--the game you keep seeing the scouts freak out about on Twitter. Austin outright abuses a defense that includes a buch of NFL players on it. Just silly levels of quickness. Like, Madden-level stupid.

That video is straight up bonkers right there. He must have broken or avoided 50 or more tackles in that one game alone. I can't say that I would be disappointed with this pick.

He does look like a slot receiver more than anything though, and we do already have Kerley there. Kerley has been surprisingly good. If I recall, 8 games into the season he was on pace for a 1,000 yard season which is hard to imagine with Sanchez throwing to him. Draft profile says Austin played some RB, too. So maybe we can use him as an RB/WR hybrid like Dexter McCluster. Works in a WCO if I remember right... spread the field and get the yards after catch. He could be a real weapon out of the backfield, on swings/screens, etc. Probably can't block for crap though.

Walter's draft isn't worth following til draft time in which he can follow the trend and rumors of others. He mocks now consist of his tweeter box. lol. Also Austins has been slotted as high a the Dolphins. After the FA we know for sure he's not going to be a Phins. The next suitor is the Rams at 16. So some trading down would have to be done if that's the route.

Walter's draft isn't worth following til draft time in which he can follow the trend and rumors of others. He mocks now consist of his tweeter box. lol. Also Austins has been slotted as high a the Dolphins. After the FA we know for sure he's not going to be a Phins. The next suitor is the Rams at 16. So some trading down would have to be done if that's the route.

Trading down to 16, getting this guy and picking up a mid 2nd round pick or a 3rd and a 4th would be awesome.

What need does he fill?  We already have an undersized slot guy and a pretty good kick returner.  Not sure this makes too much sense.  If you want to argue WR is a position of need, I won't deny that, but there are more pressing needs than this guy for sure. I just don't see it happening.

What need does he fill?  We already have an undersized slot guy and a pretty good kick returner.  Not sure this makes too much sense.  If you want to argue WR is a position of need, I won't deny that, but there are more pressing needs than this guy for sure. I just don't see it happening.

I was thinking the same thing. But on the other hand, I don't see how you pass on a talent like this, basically Percy Harvin on a rookie contract, for a guard or a Barkevious Mingo in the first round just because you have a need at that position this year.

Good points. I love that Gastineau Lives was up at 4:45 thinking about this.

My thoughts, most of which are not original:

1. He's not just a slot receiver because he has sick vertical speed. Slot guys are slot guys because they're quicker than they are fast a la Welker and Kerley.

2. In the absence of the big QB, the Jets offense needs to find guys that can make touchdowns happen by themselves. Austin can clearly do that. I also think Cordarelle Patterson is that type of guy--someone who can make people miss, then get down the field.

3. Austin is small, but he's thick. Look at how many tackles he runs through in those videos. You also don't see him taking many big hits because he's so elusive. I think he'll be able to protect himself well enough to avoid injury.

4. Our division is filled with big secondaries, for which Austin will be a matchup nightmare, the same way that Desean Jackson feasts on the lumbering corners in the NFC East. Whatever team drafts Austin, every other team in that division is going to have to draft a corner specifically to deal with him.

5. The only time Sanchez looked like an NFL player last year was when he was throwing to Jeremy Kerley. As with Kerley, it doesn't matter how big you are if you're open. A quarterback can complete a pass to an open 5'8 guy a lot easier than he can to a covered 6'4 guy.

6. Will he block? No. But will his presence on the field ensure that every safety in the league's first step goes downfield at the snap? Yes.

7. Santonio Holmes is gone after this year. Practically a lock.

8. The players that you'd draft instead of Austin have seeeeeeeerious question marks anyway. Mingo has never produced. Cooper and Warmack play a position you can get All Pros at in Round Six. Star has a hole in his heart. Patterson has off-field issues. On and on.

im real high on jarvis jones but if hes gone i have no prob with austin. this kid is gona be a star.  hes a playmaker and we do not have any on this team. think he will be the best wr in the draft. like others have pointed out hes tiny but i dont care. holmes, kerley, hill, austin, and resign braylon would be nice. holmes will be a goner after this year and austin can step up and take his spot.

CrazyCarl40, on 20 Mar 2013 - 06:06, said:

What need does he fill? We already have an undersized slot guy and a pretty good kick returner. Not sure this makes too much sense. If you want to argue WR is a position of need, I won't deny that, but there are more pressing needs than this guy for sure. I just don't see it happening.

Player on offense who can make big plays. Thats a GAPING hole.

Good points. I love that Gastineau Lives was up at 4:45 thinking about this.

My thoughts, most of which are not original:

1. He's not just a slot receiver because he has sick vertical speed. Slot guys are slot guys because they're quicker than they are fast a la Welker and Kerley.

2. In the absence of the big QB, the Jets offense needs to find guys that can make touchdowns happen by themselves. Austin can clearly do that. I also think Cordarelle Patterson is that type of guy--someone who can make people miss, then get down the field.

3. Austin is small, but he's thick. Look at how many tackles he runs through in those videos. You also don't see him taking many big hits because he's so elusive. I think he'll be able to protect himself well enough to avoid injury.

4. Our division is filled with big secondaries, for which Austin will be a matchup nightmare, the same way that Desean Jackson feasts on the lumbering corners in the NFC East. Whatever team drafts Austin, every other team in that division is going to have to draft a corner specifically to deal with him.

5. The only time Sanchez looked like an NFL player last year was when he was throwing to Jeremy Kerley. As with Kerley, it doesn't matter how big you are if you're open. A quarterback can complete a pass to an open 5'8 guy a lot easier than he can to a covered 6'4 guy.

6. Will he block? No. But will his presence on the field ensure that every safety in the league's first step goes downfield at the snap? Yes.

7. Santonio Holmes is gone after this year. Practically a lock.

8. The players that you'd draft instead of Austin have seeeeeeeerious question marks anyway. Mingo has never produced. Cooper and Warmack play a position you can get All Pros at in Round Six. Star has a hole in his heart. Patterson has off-field issues. On and on.

He is DeSean Jackson with balls.  And Holmes may bot even play this year.  Those foot injuries are a bitch.

A 5'8, 175 lb slot WR with the 9th overall pick.  When you say that to yourself, it seems absolutely ridiculous for a team as depleted as the Jets.  Then you watch the kid play and its like, holy sh*t, this dude is unreal.  

That said, the best defense WVU played last year was the 50th ranked Oklahoma Sooners who actually dont play defense.  They just put cones on the field and throw Sooners jersey's on them to make it look like they have a defense.

He's not going to do what he did in college in the pro's, obviously, but he is my favorite prospect of the WR's.  I dont think he'll be able to take hand offs in the NFL, too small, too risky.  I dont see him breaking tackles the way he did in college.  He could be a great player in a system...but WVU has always produced players like this who dominate a league that collectively doesnt play defense, at all.  While Noel Devine and Steve Slaton arent as dynamic as Austin, but they made people look silly at WVU and you have to consider the talent they face.  Its awful.  In his career, has ever even faced a top defense? And what was the result.

Too risky IMO.  But I wouldnt cry if he was the pick. 

A 5'8, 175 lb slot WR with the 9th overall pick.  When you say that to yourself, it seems absolutely ridiculous for a team as depleted as the Jets.  Then you watch the kid play and its like, holy sh*t, this dude is unreal.  

That said, the best defense WVU played last year was the 50th ranked Oklahoma Sooners who actually dont play defense.  They just put cones on the field and throw Sooners jersey's on them to make it look like they have a defense.

He's not going to do what he did in college in the pro's, obviously, but he is my favorite prospect of the WR's.  I dont think he'll be able to take hand offs in the NFL, too small, too risky.  I dont see him breaking tackles the way he did in college.  He could be a great player in a system...but WVU has always produced players like this who dominate a league that collectively doesnt play defense, at all.  While Noel Devine and Steve Slaton arent as dynamic as Austin, but they made people look silly at WVU and you have to consider the talent they face.  Its awful.  In his career, has ever even faced a top defense? And what was the result.

Too risky IMO.  But I wouldnt cry if he was the pick. 

11 catches for 182 against LSU

11 catches for 182 against LSU

Yeah, just saw that.  It was in a blow out...how much of it was garbage time I wonder?  But that is impressive, no doubt.

Not sure 1 game vs. a team that actually plays D is enough of a resume though.

Yeah, just saw that. It was in a blow out...how much of it was garbage time I wonder? But that is impressive, no doubt.

Not sure 1 game vs. a team that actually plays D is enough of a resume though.

If you're going to parse every player down to the amount of times they destroyed top ten defenses, you'd be unable to draft anybody. How many top teams did Jerry Rice destroy? Aaron Rodgers?

chris stueber actually had this mocked first (that I saw) in his Mar 15 effort. 

it's an unconventional pick but the Jets WR are awful. I'd support it.

I am concerned about the "upside" tho. best case are we talking Santana Moss/Desean Jackson worst case Ted Ginn or Johnny "Lam" Jones.

End of the day you're taking a returner/slot guy in the top 10. and that can be problematic. 

If you're going to parse every player down to the amount of times they destroyed top ten defenses, you'd be unable to draft anybody. How many top teams did Jerry Rice destroy? Aaron Rodgers?

That's simply untrue.  

And I dont recall Jerry Rice being 5'8, 174 lbs or a top 10 pick.

QB is a little different but and I dont remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure that Rodgers had some really good games vs. USC during their glory days. 

Not to be lost in all that is WVU had some really good open field blockers, especially on that last drive of the video. 

Kid can ball, but I'm still uneasy about small, every-down guys.  Maybe it's just something I need to get over.

This is the first "Wow!"highlight film I have seen in ages.  That said, the guy is tiny and not surprisingly seems to go down on contact.  It's not going to be that easy to run away from NFL defenses.  Not sure about at 9, but i would love to have him.  Seems to fit the Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin theory.  I like Jeremy Kerley, but you DO NOT pass on any draft pick because you have Jeremy Kerley.  Especially since at WR you can have them all on the field at the same time. 

Rice?  I thought he was 6'2, 200+

Are you saying Austin >>>> Rice???? 

Maybe he was 6'2", but he wasn't 200 coming out.  He also played at D 1-AA.  I am not saying that Austin is > than Rice, but I am saying that he could reasonably be considered a better prospect.  I have been hearing that slow guys will be great ever since Rice, but there is only one Jerry RIce.  Just like every kid that didn't make their freshman basketball team claims they will be the next Jordan.  Shane was correctly pointing out that few players destroy multiple top offenses in their college career and I'm not even sure that Rice played any.

Maybe he was 6'2", but he wasn't 200 coming out.  He also played at D 1-AA.  I am not saying that Austin is > than Rice, but I am saying that he could reasonably be considered a better prospect.  I have been hearing that slow guys will be great ever since Rice, but there is only one Jerry RIce.  Just like every kid that didn't make their freshman basketball team claims they will be the next Jordan.  Shane was correctly pointing out that few players destroy multiple top offenses in their college career and I'm not even sure that Rice played any.

Like I said, I'm not going to cry over the pick...he's my favorite WR prospect but thinking about drafting a 5'8 slot WR with the 9th overall pick, raises some concerns for me when the team has so many holes.

And while there are few players who destroy multiple top D's, there certainly are those players out there and they typically arent midgets and they typically go very high in the draft.  AJ Green and Julio Jones come to mind.  

Its really when you combine the 2 that scare me.  Small + his resume was built on beating the worst D's in college in a spread offense that was tailored to getting him the ball in space.  Again, I have my doubts but could get behind the pick.  Just wouldnt be the first pick of my GM career if I'm John Idzik.

Like I said, I'm not going to cry over the pick...he's my favorite WR prospect but thinking about drafting a 5'8 slot WR with the 9th overall pick, raises some concerns for me when the team has so many holes.

And while there are few players who destroy multiple top D's, there certainly are those players out there and they typically arent midgets and they typically go very high in the draft.  AJ Green and Julio Jones come to mind.  

Its really when you combine the 2 that scare me.  Small + his resume was built on beating the worst D's in college in a spread offense that was tailored to getting him the ball in space.  Again, I have my doubts but could get behind the pick.  Just wouldnt be the first pick of my GM career if I'm John Idzik.

Kind of in the same boat. He's one of those guys that we will whine if they don't pick him that we knew he'd be great and if they pick him we'll be saying "why did they pick that midget so high?"

FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah (former scout) has the Jets picking Jarvis Jones at 9 and the Bucs picking Austin at 13. Yes, please.

That's what I'm saying, but flip it.  I'd rather get the unique talents of Austin at 9, then see how the draft unfolds at 13.  Our team could have the choice between Warmack, Cooper, Star, Jarvis, Mingo, Ansah and decide to trade down.  Shoot, we could trade down several times. 

Worst cast scenario we trade back so far that we have to "settle" for Alec Ogletree or Eddie Lacy, plus the trading down compensation. 

Archived