Report: Revis *would* get $12-$13 mil per from Bucs--financials sorted already

T0mShane

I think it's pretty obvious Mehta's source is Schwartz and Feinsod, no?

They're prime candidates for leaking it.  But if you read my post, Idzik has a couple of damn good reasons for leaking it.  If Idzik is really this creative, pitting one report against another, note that he made it known to Cimini that he's in no rush to do anything with Revis barely a day earlier.

It seems far-fetched that Mehta would be the one reporter in the country that anyone in Tampa's front office would leak this to. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're prime candidates for leaking it. But if you read my post, Idzik has a couple of damn good reasons for leaking it. If Idzik is really this creative, pitting one report against another, note that he made it known to Cimini that he's in no rush to do anything with Revis barely a day earlier.

It seems far-fetched that Mehta would be the one reporter in the country that anyone in Tampa's front office would leak this to.

Of course I read your posts. Every word.

I think what we can assume is that:

1. Tampa wants Revis badly.

2. Schwartz and Feinsod want to get away from Revis' $6 mil 2013 Jets deal ASAP, and into Tampa's fat long-term deal.

3. To that end, Schwartz and Feinsod have painted themselves into a corner--they can't make the contract cost-prohibitive to Tampa, for fear that Tampa will pull out, but they can't short Revis, either (which increases the likelihood of a holdout later, btw). $12-$13m seems to be that middle ground, which might also invite more suitors.

4. Idzik can sit back and fan himself with that measly $6 million dollar deal while Schwartz and Feinsod do his job for him with Tampa. Every dollar that gets shaved off Revis' deal, the higher the compensation will be for the Jets in trade.

5. If Tampa pulls out, S&F have to crawl back to Idzik for a year with the knowledge that no market developed for a $16 million dollar corner, and that will likely hold true next season, too.

Bottom line: I don't know that Idzik has to use the media for any purpose here. This is Mark Dominik and S&F haggling against themselves, simultaneously inflating and deflating the value of Darrelle Revis. It only blows up in Idzik's face is Revis leaves New York next year out of spite, because I think the $12m offer will end up being what he gets anywhere, and why wouldn't the Jets pay that?

Off topic question:  all this talk to the media about the Revis trade, doesn't something like this qualify as tampering and could not the league look into it.  How many times did we hear Tanny say "I cannot talk about a player under contract to another team?"  Even if they are not attaching names to it could not the NFL twist some arms?

All The Bucs have really said is that, they aren’t sure if Revis is really available or not.  I take that to mean that they are getting frustrated with the fact that Idzik won’t pull the trigger on what they are offering.   There can only be tampering if someone files a complaint with the league.  All this talk so far is in the Jets favor.

Mehta is just looking at what appears to be frustration on the part of the Bucs, and assuming they are willing to pay at least 12-13 for Revis, and making a story up.  Don’t forget just a few days ago Mehta was reporting that the Jets hadn’t even spoke to Revis.

The one thing that came out of the Idzik presser was that he said it wasn’t true, and they had spoken to Revis agents.

If the Bucks later pay him 16, Mehta will write an article that the Bucs just paid Revis that to embarrass him for breaking the 12-13 story.

They're prime candidates for leaking it.  But if you read my post, Idzik has a couple of damn good reasons for leaking it.  If Idzik is really this creative, pitting one report against another, note that he made it known to Cimini that he's in no rush to do anything with Revis barely a day earlier.

Why would any agent leak this information?  They essentially are setting the market for their client and losing any negotiating power.  It would honestly be one of the worst negotiating tactics I've ever heard of coming from a camp who we know to be a shrewd as they come.

There is logic behind Idzik leaking it, obviously but I'm going to just guess that this article is bogus.  I dont see Revis camp tipping their hand this much knowing that Idzik is being very difficult with his supposed trading partners.  Just doesnt make any sense. 

Why would any agent leak this information?  They essentially are setting the market for their client and losing any negotiating power.  It would honestly be one of the worst negotiating tactics I've ever heard of coming from a camp who we know to be a shrewd as they come.

There is logic behind Idzik leaking it, obviously but I'm going to just guess that this article is bogus.  I dont see Revis camp tipping their hand this much knowing that Idzik is being very difficult with his supposed trading partners.  Just doesnt make any sense. 

I disagree.

Leaking it means they're leaking the number they'll settle on.  In a negotiation you never lead with the number you'll settle on; you have to start higher.  Well starting the negotiations at $15-16M seems to have gotten them nowhere.  Jets aren't talking to them (allegedly) and an absurdly-low number of teams are interested in a 27 year-old HOF CB. They'll spend a first round pick on a crap-shoot player who may not prove to be NFL-caliber, but they won't spend it on Revis.  Certainly not if a higher number gets leaked again.

The ACL thing is part of the reason, but after seeing Peterson come an inch of breaking Dickerson's record, with a much worse injury, with less healing time, I think it's an more of an excuse than a reason.

If the Revis camp opens negotiations at $12-13M with the Jets, he'll get less.  If they leak that TB will pay $12-13M they're leaking what the (alleged) going rate is for a CB of his caliber.  If a few teams now pounce on the $12-13M/year idea then it could create a bidding war where he gets a little more (even if it isn't in the $16M/year range).

They have good reasons for leaking that.

But there are also good reasons for Idzik being behind it.  He gets other teams to get over their fear of negotiating with a player who may take no less than $15-16M/year. Also, if Revis believes the leak, then he might as well take the same money from the Jets since TB seems unwilling to part with their #13 pick for him, leaving Revis to play out the year for what is now another $5M in "new" money.

This whole Revis thing is getting silly.   Fact is, we don’t know anything that is going on except what they want us to know.  No one is getting secret leaks that the teams and Revis don’t want.

Any one remember the Aso thing?  All the leaks?  Charlie Burke?  (Was that his name?)   Toon with his “high fives all around”.   Ah good times

Then Aso signed with the Eagles (thank God)  who was hardly mentioned in all the leaks.  The Jets were played all along

It will probably be announced on the day of the draft that Revis has been traded to the Browns for a 3rd Rd pick

I disagree.

Leaking it means they're leaking the number they'll settle on.  In a negotiation you never lead with the number you'll settle on; you have to start higher.  Well starting the negotiations at $15-16M seems to have gotten them nowhere.  Jets aren't talking to them (allegedly) and an absurdly-low number of teams are interested in a 27 year-old HOF CB. They'll spend a first round pick on a crap-shoot player who may not prove to be NFL-caliber, but they won't spend it on Revis.  Certainly not if a higher number gets leaked again.

The ACL thing is part of the reason, but after seeing Peterson come an inch of breaking Dickerson's record, with a much worse injury, with less healing time, I think it's an more of an excuse than a reason.

If the Revis camp opens negotiations at $12-13M with the Jets, he'll get less.  If they leak that TB will pay $12-13M they're leaking what the (alleged) going rate is for a CB of his caliber.  If a few teams now pounce on the $12-13M/year idea then it could create a bidding war where he gets a little more (even if it isn't in the $16M/year range).

They have good reasons for leaking that.

But there are also good reasons for Idzik being behind it.  He gets other teams to get over their fear of negotiating with a player who may take no less than $15-16M/year. Also, if Revis believes the leak, then he might as well take the same money from the Jets since TB seems unwilling to part with their #13 pick for him, leaving Revis to play out the year for what is now another $5M in "new" money.

This is kind of a contradictory statement.  You start with negotiating 101, start high, settle for less - negating the fact that his agents have already tipped their hands with a # (which you never throw out the first number in a negotiation) and that # is lower than perceived going rate.  

You kind of have a point with a bidding war that could drive up his price but I highly doubt it drives it up an extra 4 mil.  

I'm just going to stick with my thoughts on this being completely bogus.  I doesnt make sense, IMO.  

Pedro is putting both of you to shame

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that one.  Don't get me wrong, he's off to quite the start, but he's got a long way to go before he's rambled on as endlessly as the likes of Sperm and I have.  I mean, come on, people still seem to actually bother to read what he writes.

All The Bucs have really said is that, they aren’t sure if Revis is really available or not.  I take that to mean that they are getting frustrated with the fact that Idzik won’t pull the trigger on what they are offering.   There can only be tampering if someone files a complaint with the league.  All this talk so far is in the Jets favor.

Mehta is just looking at what appears to be frustration on the part of the Bucs, and assuming they are willing to pay at least 12-13 for Revis, and making a story up.  Don’t forget just a few days ago Mehta was reporting that the Jets hadn’t even spoke to Revis.

The one thing that came out of the Idzik presser was that he said it wasn’t true, and they had spoken to Revis agents.

If the Bucks later pay him 16, Mehta will write an article that the Bucs just paid Revis that to embarrass him for breaking the 12-13 story.

Yes, and I suppose all of these leaks could be coming from Revis' scumball agents

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that one.  Don't get me wrong, he's off to quite the start, but he's got a long way to go before he's rambled on as endlessly as the likes of Sperm and I have.  I mean, come on, people still seem to actually bother to read what he writes.

IDK B G.  I heard he is starting a grass roots campaign for Captain in the Spring.

Sperm can kick back.  He’s already made his bones.  He’s a Mod

Don’t look in your rear view mirror.

IDK B G.  I heard he is starting a grass roots campaign for Captain in the Spring.

Sperm can kick back.  He’s already made his bones.  He’s a Mod

Don’t look in your rear view mirror.

He won't win, he does not hate me yet.

This is great news. It gives the Jets a ton of leverage against Revis, since $12 mil is not a lot for him. If trade talks die down, Jets can extend Revis knowing what others will ofer him. It also gives Jets the upper hand in trade talks, since now they are not staring down $16mil per and would keep Revis if they chose to. Idzik is playing cool and not showing his hand. But Im hoping he doesn't give in too early. Revis should net u a first rounder any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I will be pissed if its first rounder alone. Has to be a first day pick, and a second day pick (2nd or 3rd rounder).

Below is one of my previous posts from couple days ago:

Give him a 5 year $60 mil contract with $30 mil guaranteed. $15mil signing bonus and first two years of guaranteed base.

First year base: 7 mil

second year base: 8 mil

Third year base: 8 Mil

Fourth year base: 11 mil

Fifth Year base: 11 Mil

Cap charges:

2014: $10 mil

2015: $11 mil

2016: $11 mil (cap savings if released $2 mil)

2017: $14 mil (cap savings if released $8 mil)

2018: $14 mil (cap savings if released $11 mil)

Essentially making it a 3 years, 38 mil, or 4 years $49 mil contract (or even a 2 yr 30 mil contract and then trade) .Something like that would be ideal and give the Jets the chance to release him while he turns 31 or 32 and not take on that $14mil cap charge in 2017 or 2018. Its still manageable cap charge pretty much through out till then (contrary to the $14-16mil he is assumed to be targetting) and still gives Revis almost $13mil a season if he stays 3 more years. Probably include incentives in there too to protect us against Revis not being himself after the injury.

just a couple months ago we had this discussion and even the revis haters thought signing him at 12 wasn't such a bad idea. 

Who exactly are these Revis haters you speak of?

Nearly all the posters I read,  that want to see a trade happen, really think  that Revis is a great player.   They just don’t think that a CB is worth the kind of money he is asking for and/or,   Don’t trust that any contract he signs will get past the 2nd year with out him creating drama no mater whaat the contract says.

Are the “haters”  really just people who disagree with your mantra that the Jets should roll over and put their butts in the air

Who exactly are these Revis haters you speak of?

Nearly all the posters I read,  that want to see a trade happen, really think  that Revis is a great player.   They just don’t think that a CB is worth the kind of money he is asking for and/or,   Don’t trust that any contract he signs will get past the 2nd year with out him creating drama no mater whaat the contract says.

Are the “haters”  really just people who disagree with your mantra that the Jets should roll over and put their butts in the air

anyone who says the Jets need to trade Revis for a 2nd rather than see him "walk for nothing" is a revis hater in my book. It sounds rational but actually discounts this player's talent and resume to a ridiculous extent. 

anyone who says the Jets need to trade Revis for a 2nd rather than see him "walk for nothing" is a revis hater in my book. It sounds rational but actually discounts this player's talent and resume to a ridiculous extent.

There is literally nothing about this post that is not wrong.

There is literally nothing about this post that is not wrong.

nothing not wrong does that mean everything is right? too many negatives in that sentence. 

I do think people who are eager to ship him out harbor some sort of holdout-anger that has nothing to do with his value. He's friggin Revis it's insane to trade him for a 2nd. 

My personal want is to do what is in the best interests of the team, not necessarily an individual.

You and I may actually classify what actually is "in the best interests of the team" differently, and that would be a difference of an opinion. The same opinion which you at times deride others for not seemingly giving you.

My personal want is to do what is in the best interests of the team, not necessarily an individual.

You and I may actually classify what actually is "in the best interests of the team" differently, and that would be a difference of an opinion. The same opinion which you at times deride others for not seemingly giving you.

Best interests are fine. last year's 2nd round was Stephen Hill. Is Revis for Stephen Hill a fair trade? The "trade him for whatever" crowd is underrating revis and overrating draft picks. Friggin Kellen Clemens was a 2nd rounder. It's a total crapshoot.

Best interests are fine. last year's 2nd round was Stephen Hill. Is Revis for Stephen Hill a fair trade? The "trade him for whatever" crowd is underrating revis and overrating draft picks. Friggin Kellen Clemens was a 2nd rounder. It's a total crapshoot.

No one has said 2nd round compensation is totally fine.

Per Peter King, the current proposal is next years Bucs 1 and 2. Believe who you want to believe.

If draft picks are such a "crap shoot", not sure why teams don't give up picks for franchised players more often, yet you don't see it. 

Just because you can poinjt out that some draft picks fail, does not mean all draft picks fail. That is idiotic thinking. Especially coming from a guy who reports on the draftability of players. Why just not throw names in a hat then?

Buccaneers | Willing to trade 2014 picks for Darrelle Revis 
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:49:28 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers likely would be willing to trade their 2014 first- and second-round pick for New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis if the Jets were willing to accept draft choices from next season. The Jets have insisted on getting the Buccaneers' 2013 first-round draft choice as well as an additional pick, which likely would be a 2014 pick. It is believed theBuccaneers would be willing to pay Revis in the neighborhood of $15 million per season in a new contract.

Comment | Source: SI.com - Peter King | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2OCPUOozc

This is kind of a contradictory statement.  You start with negotiating 101, start high, settle for less - negating the fact that his agents have already tipped their hands with a # (which you never throw out the first number in a negotiation) and that # is lower than perceived going rate.  

You kind of have a point with a bidding war that could drive up his price but I highly doubt it drives it up an extra 4 mil.  

I'm just going to stick with my thoughts on this being completely bogus.  I doesnt make sense, IMO.  

It's not contradictory.  If TB is willing to pay up to $12-13M and Revis is willing to accept that, it is not the same thing as Revis going to the Jets and saying he'd be willing to take a $12-13M/year contract if they would extend it to him.

It doesn't have to necessarily drive it up $4M (and I said I doubt it would drive it up that much).  It would drive it up as much as it will go up.  Then he'll know he got the most he could.  If it drives it up zero then it drives it up zero.  If it drives his dollars up $500K/year then it's $500K per year he wouldn't have otherwise had.  

As far as it being completely bogus, that could be as well.  Another article came out that said TB is willing to pay him up to $15M/year.  Both articles can't be right...and one of the two was written by Mehta. 

Archived