Report: Revis *would* get $12-$13 mil per from Bucs--financials sorted already

T0mShane

So now there's somebody willing to give him 15? Hey don't they know he won't impact what happens?!!?! That's 2006 tOp QB money!!! Only true impact guys like Jared Allen and Tamba Hali make that!!

Also you keep quoting 16+ as if Revis came out on video and requested that. I'm only using similar tactics here.

Im not dealing with more phone bullsh*t, lost the last part of your post. It's eithe this or I smash my phone:

Lol so now is the time to question what's written in the papers for you? What a surprise! 12-15 was always a more believable number (and far more recent) than what you were using, and I am still fully in for that price range.

It sure doesn't seem like many people are willing to pay that pric

1 - Revis is not "on average" so there's absolutely no reason to break it up.

2 - CB is a prime position in today's NFL.

3 - High end CBs have been amongst the highest paid players in the sport besides QB for the past decade. Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, and Aso right off the top, then there's the infamous D. Hall deal.

4 - Cromartie is very tradeable.

5 - Revis >>>>>>>>>>> Cromartie

6 - It is ineffective team management to trade an elite player in his prime because fans stuck in the 60's still try to tell themselves that CBs don't matter.

7 - Cromartie is hardly making mega bucks. The line for that with fans is really short -'I get that and I'm jealous they steal millions from my friend Woody too - but 9 million a year isn't mega bucks.

CB's, on average are the third highest paid DEFENSIVE position.

They are down on the pecking order, Appropriately so.

The game has changed and continues to evolve to an offensive sport.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CB's, on average are the third highest paid DEFENSIVE position.

Again, we aren't playing with average. They've also held the #2 or higher spot for highest paid individual defensive player in the league twice...Clements behind Peppers and then Aso in front of everyone...Bailey gets 10+ million a year at an age when teams are at least beginning to try to force guys out if they haven't been wandering around for 2 years already. This isn't even considering that teams are piling CBs/DBs onto their rosters nowadays, which would bring down the average marginally. 

They are down on the pecking order, Appropriately so.

Yet somehow the best ones seem to find themselves at the top. It's as if teams need guys who can get in between the QB and his receiver in today's game...

The game has changed and continues to evolve to an offensive sport.

Yes, built around the passing game. What group of defensive players are most responsible for defending the pass? What group of players has the speed to handle today's passing games? Jesus this is common sense...just think it through and you'd see how dated your logic on the position is. 

A blurb in one of the articles I've read the last few weeks said he might pursue a career in media when he's done playing.

Speaking the kings english isn't a prerequistite for being an ESPN talking head.  I still cringe when I remember Emmit Smith saying that a team "got debacled".

well they was all debacled up, what did you want emmit to say?

Has Evrything to do with incentives. Stay healthy for over a year and he's seeing 26 million garaunteed. That is what happened. They COULD HAVE cut him, but chose to keep him instead because he help up his end of the bargain, stayed healthy, and once again played at a high level.

No one said offer Revi anything like that. A 27 year old Revis is worth more than that. I said that already. It remains true.

The same place your 16+ came from - NY tabloids looking for story to sell. If 12-13 is his market, factor in no income tax + the 3 million the Jets have for him then we're almost there. This number came within the past week. Your big ones came at least a year ago.

$15M is the most recent number made public by anybody.  

They came out during the same news cycle so I'm perfectly fine with saying 12-15. Thats consistent with the numbers I've used this whole time anyway.

Again, $15M is the most recent number made public by anybody.  If Manish Mehta was the only person to float a $15M number, and two other sources quoted a $12-13M range, I'm quite certain how you'd be foaming at the mouth as to how ridiculously invalid that number is as well as finding fault with this unreliable source.  But in this case, Mehta says what you want to hear, which is different than anyone else has reported, and you accept it as gospel.

There have been three rumored numbers for Revis in 2013:  

1. Cimini: $16M/year average with $60M guaranteed (or something like that)

2. Mehta: $12-13M/year with no details

3. King:  $15M/year with no details

You have placed all credence to the middle figure and no credence to the other two.  And while I've got no love for any of the 3, Mehta wouldn't top anyone's list as the reporter with the most reliable unnamed sources.

A blurb in one of the articles I've read the last few weeks said he might pursue a career in media when he's done playing.

Speaking the kings english isn't a prerequistite for being an ESPN talking head.  I still cringe when I remember Emmit Smith saying that a team "got debacled".

Ray Lewis-not Sir Richard Attenborough, in the elocution department. But he sure can get rid of dirty laundry.

At a loss why the networks keep hiring these guys. Namath was poorly-spoken and drunk all the time, But compared to the likes of Michael Irvin and Sterling Sharpe, he's like Geoffrey Rush in "The King's Speech".

All depends on whether Revis is hanging onto his money. With an uncle who played, perhaps he has avoided the pitalls.

You have placed all credence to the middle figure and no credence to the other two.  And while I've got no love for any of the 3, Mehta wouldn't top anyone's list as the reporter with the most reliable unnamed sources.

the timing of the comments are important. Mehta is the most recent and considering the state of the CB market, actually makes the most sense. it's possible that all the statements were accurate at the time of the reports... now he's worth less cause the FA market is depressed. 

the timing of the comments are important. Mehta is the most recent and considering the state of the CB market, actually makes the most sense. it's possible that all the statements were accurate at the time of the reports... now he's worth less cause the FA market is depressed. 

Actually, I believe King's was the latest number-Yesterday. That was preceded by Mehta's number.

^I think it matters more so whom these guys are getting these numbers from. I'm sure Malcolm Glazer will give you a different number than Mark Dominik will, and they'll both give you a different number than Schwartz and Feinsod. Smart thing would seem to assume the number is somewhere in the middle--$13 mil per?

Off topic question:  all this talk to the media about the Revis trade, doesn't something like this qualify as tampering and could not the league look into it.  How many times did we hear Tanny say "I cannot talk about a player under contract to another team?"  Even if they are not attaching names to it could not the NFL twist some arms?

Not to help the Jets...not at all.

OK, let's start with the premise that the Jets are idiots for wanting to trade the best CB in the game.

Why are teams not lining up at the door in order to take advantage of the Jets idiocy?

Because scoring TDs+sacking the QB>>>trying to cover a receiver

Now Florio is reporting that the trade will happen because the Glazers are pushing for it behind the scenes, and that Idzik will get what he wants. Yadda

Florio is anally attached to Mehta though.  Most of the stuff Florio quotes about the Jets comes from Mehta whose sources are as real as yours or mine.

Again, we aren't playing with average. They've also held the #2 or higher spot for highest paid individual defensive player in the league twice...Clements behind Peppers and then Aso in front of everyone...Bailey gets 10+ million a year at an age when teams are at least beginning to try to force guys out if they haven't been wandering around for 2 years already. This isn't even considering that teams are piling CBs/DBs onto their rosters nowadays, which would bring down the average marginally. 

Yet somehow the best ones seem to find themselves at the top. It's as if teams need guys who can get in between the QB and his receiver in today's game...

Yes, built around the passing game. What group of defensive players are most responsible for defending the pass? What group of players has the speed to handle today's passing games? Jesus this is common sense...just think it through and you'd see how dated your logic on the position is. 

I'm confused on your argument.   You mention Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, etc.   CBs who got paid big bucks.   Pro Bowl CBs.   

What you leave out is that Clements played on the Bills for years.  A team who hasn't really been a legit winning team since 1994.  Obviously Clements wasn't all that big a deal on a losing team.   He went to the 49ers.   Sounds good. Until you realize he was on the 49ers when they weren't winning.   Now he's moved to the Bengals.    Except he's 33 and isn't that same player he once was.  Plus he's not paid as much.

Bailey.  This was discussed before.  He's been on bad Redskins teams and he was on the Broncos for years when they stunk.  Finally the Broncos have a legit shot at a super bowl, except Bailey is long past his prime.

This is what I dont' get.  You bring up big time CBs who played on losing teams.   Great pay Revis what he wants and wind up like all those other losing teams who had the high paid CBs you mentioned.     Wait till the tail end of Revis's career when he's no longer the dominant CB and claim it's because of him they win.

Mehta is not the most recent.  King is the most recent.

Well yeah, but Mehta is the most recent report that fits in with what they want to use as the basis, so obviously that's the only one that counts.  Duh.

Honestly, I can understand not wanting to take any of these numbers as gold, because who knows how much of this is legit, how much is for negotiating purposes and how much is complete BS.  But it's kind of funny that the two guys who've been spending the past couple of months dismissing every number that was reported by the media as meaningless now want to put such stake in a particular number that's been reported once.  Bottom line, it would seem at this point that whatever number the Jets are currently hearing, they don't want to pay it, as all of this would suggest they're either looking to move him or even if not, at least drive down his asking price.

It may very well happen. But from the Bucs' perspective hard to see how you can justify these kinds of salary numbers for a corner. There may be pressure on the Jets to resolve this, but at a loss why the Bucs are signing up for Revis's 2015 holdout.

If it does happen, without a 2013 #1 Wrecks can not bother to ever come back to Florham Park. 2013 will officially be a dead zone. Would LOVE in that caser for Idzik to go "Apocalpyse Now" and cut Sanchez, Holmes, Harris and gut this debacle down to the studs.

I'm confused on your argument.   You mention Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, etc.   CBs who got paid big bucks.   Pro Bowl CBs.   

What you leave out is that Clements played on the Bills for years.  A team who hasn't really been a legit winning team since 1994.  Obviously Clements wasn't all that big a deal on a losing team.   He went to the 49ers.   Sounds good. Until you realize he was on the 49ers when they weren't winning.   Now he's moved to the Bengals.    Except he's 33 and isn't that same player he once was.  Plus he's not paid as much.

Bailey.  This was discussed before.  He's been on bad Redskins teams and he was on the Broncos for years when they stunk.  Finally the Broncos have a legit shot at a super bowl, except Bailey is long past his prime.

This is what I dont' get.  You bring up big time CBs who played on losing teams.   Great pay Revis what he wants and wind up like all those other losing teams who had the high paid CBs you mentioned.     Wait till the tail end of Revis's career when he's no longer the dominant CB and claim it's because of him they win.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/noncause.html

Those teams didn't lose because they had a high end CB. The only people primed to credit Revis with everything if/when the Jets win and he's around is you and people with a similar mindset. I will never be confused with or accused of crediting a team with one player who did all the heavy lifting. It's an extreme disservice to everyone and just a bad way to analyze any team in any sport.

Oh, and the Broncos with Bailey >>>>>>>>>>>>> the Redskins without Bailey until Shanahan went out and got them a QB a decade later.

By a day, if that. You're really ignoring the timing.

Well yeah, but Mehta is the most recent report that fits in with what

they want to use as the basis, so obviously that's the only one that

counts.  Duh.

Rotfl, is this from a member of the same crowd using "no comment" and a person familiar with his thinking back in 2011/2012 as the basis for his franchise crippling salary demands?

Why are teams not lining up at the door in order to take advantage of the Jets idiocy?

The answer is EXTREMELY simple, but again you halt your thought process at "obviously CB isn't valuable." Teams have to pay in picks for Revis, the Jets are holding extremely steady on very high demands like a smart franchise should and does. Teams then have to negotiate with Revis on an extension, not an easy thing to do for any elite player in the history of any sport ever. This is not something that happens overnight or even in a couple of weeks.

Again, $15M is the most recent number made public by anybody.  If

Manish Mehta was the only person to float a $15M number, and two other

sources quoted a $12-13M range, I'm quite certain how you'd be foaming

at the mouth as to how ridiculously invalid that number is as well as

finding fault with this unreliable source.  But in this case, Mehta says

what you want to hear, which is different than anyone else has

reported, and you accept it as gospel.

I have said multiple times that the 12-15 range fits exactly what I've been saying for weeks now. You're not listening, you're hearing what you want to hear from me. 15 is a fine number. It came out maybe a day, if not hours, after the 12-13 number. It is not 16+, a number you've sat on all offseason.

1: 2011, MAYBE 2012 if we're lucky

2: Week of 3/18/13

3: Week of 3/18/13

Why shoudl I be taking your 16+ more seriously then?

You have placed all credence to the middle figure and no credence to

the other two.  And while I've got no love for any of the 3, Mehta

wouldn't top anyone's list as the reporter with the most reliable

unnamed sources.

Literally in the post you quoted:

They came out during the same news cycle so I'm perfectly fine with

saying 12-15. Thats consistent with the numbers I've used this whole

time anyway.

I'm giving credence to both numbers that came out this week in 2013, which are not your numbers as those relied on pre-2013 imaginary demands. My imaginary demands came out this week and fit right in with the numbers I've been using.

I missed the part where any team - successful or otherwise - has ever a CB count $15M or more over multiple seasons on a flat ~$120M cap.

First time for everything, Spermy, and there you go pushing the margins again (now it's 15+).

How many non-QBs in NFL history have counted for 15+ million on the cap? Hell, WITH QBs the number probably isn't even 20 yet.

I have said multiple times that the 12-15 range fits exactly what I've been saying for weeks now. You're not listening, you're hearing what you want to hear from me. 15 is a fine number. It came out maybe a day, if not hours, after the 12-13 number. It is not 16+, a number you've sat on all offseason.

1: 2011, MAYBE 2012 if we're lucky

2: Week of 3/18/13

3: Week of 3/18/13

Why shoudl I be taking your 16+ more seriously then?

Literally in the post you quoted:

I'm giving credence to both numbers that came out in 2013, which are not your numbers as those relied on pre-2013 imaginary demands. My imaginary demands came out this week and fit right in with the numbers I've been using.

All three of those are from this year.  

The year 2013.  

The year after 2012.  

Two years after 2011.  

Three years after 2010.

The year we're in right now.  

The same year as the year today is in.  

All three of those are from this year.  

The year 2013.  

The year after 2012.  

Two years after 2011.  

Three years after 2010.

The year we're in right now.  

The same year as the year today is in.  

Fine, if true at all then look at the two latest - the ones that came out in the same week.

The same week we're still in.

Weeks, probably months, after Cimini made up his number.

The same week when the Jets were apparently in hot and heavy discussions with another team.

Also Mehta + KIng >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cimini, though obviously that's just me being biased towards the two latest reports throwing out the numbers I've been throwing out for weeks.

First time for everything, Spermy, and there you go pushing the margins again (now it's 15+).

How many non-QBs in NFL history have counted for 15+ million on the cap? Hell, WITH QBs the number probably isn't even 20 yet.

What on earth are you talking about now with pushing the margins? 

$15M+ is what our average cap hit would be even if the Jets could get him signed for your imaginary, wet dream, annual average of $12M+ on a new deal.

Fine, if true at all then look at the two latest - the ones that came out in the same week.

The same week we're still in.

Weeks, probably months, after Cimini made up his number.

The same week when the Jets were apparently in hot and heavy discussions with another team.

You commented on it yourself within the past week.  

"If true?"  LOL priceless.

And Cimini "made up his number" because you don't like it.  I'm sure you wouldn't think it was made up if it jived with something you wish it said.

Mehta >>>>>> nobody.

What on earth are you talking about now with pushing the margins? 

$15M+ is what our average cap hit would be even if the Jets could get him signed for your imaginary, wet dream, annual average of $12M+ on a new deal.

Fair enough. Still lower than your imaginary, wet dream, annual salary of 16+ with whatever bonuses and garauntees are in there.

You commented on it yourself within the past week.  

"If true?"  LOL priceless.

And Cimini "made up his number" because you don't like it.  I'm sure you wouldn't think it was made up if it jived with something you wish it said.

Mehta >>>>>> nobody.

No, because he made them up just as King and Mehta probably made them up. Those two are the latest two numbers, again both coming far more recently than Cimini's imaginary number.

Fair enough. Still lower than your imaginary, wet dream, annual salary of 16+ with whatever bonuses and garauntees are in there.

I don't have any dream of anything.  If we can get him in for $10-12M/year, with a contract that has sufficient anti-holdout language, then we should re-sign him.

Two of the 3 figures published in 2013 say $15M per year and $16M per year.  There is nothing imaginary about it.

If I may, Revis has always maintained he wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league.  A couple of years ago, that was more than Namdi(16M).  Now, that number is ALOT lower and I am not even sure who it is, Champ?  Anywho, the CB market is depressed and I think Revis signs for a lot closer to 12M than 15M, especially if his contract pay of 6M for this year is getting tore up.  He will be paid what the market will bear and it may be 15M but when the highest paid CB is getting 11.5 it will be hard to claim 3.5M over that. 

my $0.02

I don't have any dream of anything.  If we can get him in for $10-12M/year, with a contract that has sufficient anti-holdout language, then we should re-sign him.

Two of the 3 figures published in 2013 say $15M per year and $16M per year.  There is nothing imaginary about it.

Well, except the figures but that's besides the point. They are all we have to play with.

No, because he made them up just as King and Mehta probably made them up. Those two are the latest two numbers, again both coming far more recently than Cimini's imaginary number.

Yet Cimini's number ($16M) is eerily close to King's ($15M).  The difference is that King's is $1M per year less, and it came weeks after seeing the CB market take a nosedive. 

If anything, it would suggest both numbers have some basis in what Revis wants, with the slightly lower number reflecting both the lower CB numbers and the lack of league-wide demand for him personally.

Hell, the guy's a HOF CB and only turns 28 in July.  The TB offers are the worst-kept secret in the league right now, right after Idzik's offer requirement.  And since Revis is still on the team, it would seem no one's called to sneak in and steal him away from TB.  Even TB is so far unwilling to give up a non-top-10 pick in a weak draft.

Why? Teams do not relish the thought of entering contract negotiations (and probably renegotiations in 2015) with Revis.

Archived