Report: Revis *would* get $12-$13 mil per from Bucs--financials sorted already

T0mShane

Also further on Scott's post...those are reasons Revis was never going to get 16+ million, not reasons to start negotiating at most desirable price for the organization.

Sperm, again those were extremely easy to meet incentives so long as he stayed healthy. Staying healthy was Denver's only reason to to hesitate locking up a HOF cornerback at 33. A 27 year old Revis should be making more than a 33 year old Champ Bailey, and 12-13 is more than reasonable.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd be willing to trade Revis and our first round pick, just because I want to get rid of him so badly.

Good idea on the first round pick. That guy could cost a bunch in the Future, and is unlikely to be an impact guy (QB).

We may as well just put the cards on the table: I hate Darrelle Revis. I hate him with an all-consuming passion. Not just professionally, but as a human being. Not only do I want him to be traded for as little return as possible, I wish specific ill upon him personally. Forget the first-round pick. I would be willing to pay Revis 50% of my salary, for the rest of my life, if he never plays another down for the Jets. And I'd bet The Board agrees with me.

We may as well just put the cards on the table: I hate Darrelle Revis. I hate him with an all-consuming passion. Not just professionally, but as a human being. Not only do I want him to be traded for as little return as possible, I wish specific ill upon him personally. Forget the first-round pick. I would be willing to pay Revis 50% of my salary, for the rest of my life, if he never plays another down for the Jets. And I'd bet The Board agrees with me.

It's the way he laughs.

All I know is the number was said to be as high as $20 mil per not that long ago. Went to $16-18 mil, then to $12-13 mil. 

Look at the source first Manish (Minutia) Mehta, second the CB market flat. Why not stay in NY for $10-12 mil annually with endorsements and such if the offer is competitive

Is Revis making the same money from Nike if he's in Cleveland, probably not. There is also life after football staying with the Jets makes sense, he's going to be paid either way for his play on the field.

Tampa Bay vs NY for endorsements + retiring a NY Jets and going into the Hall of Fame a Jet = reasons why he shouldn't over play his hand and should want to retire a Jet.

Tampa Bay vs NY for endorsements + retiring a NY Jets and going into the Hall of Fame a Jet = reasons why he shouldn't over play his hand and should want to retire a Jet.

This is 2013, not 1970.  Nobody cares where you live anymore.   I mean Manning is the biggest face in the league and he played in Indianapolis and now Denver.  Larry Fitzgerald plays in Arizona on a team who hasn't really had a QB since Warner left.  And he's right behind Manning in endorsements. Sam Bradford makes just as much as Revis when it comes to endorsements, and he plays in St Louis on a team nobody knows anymore.

Look at the NBA.  Carmelo now plays in New York, but Lebron is the man.    Carmelo wins, he might become the man, but he has to win first.  Lebron could have never won an NBA title and still get tons of endorsement deals.

Revis is right behind Fitzgerald when it comes to endorsement deals.  Neither are close to Manning.   Revis playing as a Jet or as a Buc isn't going to change his deals.  He's not going to get more for playing for a bad jets team that fades into oblivion. Star players can play anywhere these days and still get the same endorsement deals.   Would he get a couple of more for being a Jet?  Maybe, but not much more.   Playing for Tampa means he saves a hell of a lot in taxes though.

Also further on Scott's post...those are reasons Revis was never going to get 16+ million, not reasons to start negotiating at most desirable price for the organization.

Sperm, again those were extremely easy to meet incentives so long as he stayed healthy. Staying healthy was Denver's only reason to to hesitate locking up a HOF cornerback at 33. A 27 year old Revis should be making more than a 33 year old Champ Bailey, and 12-13 is more than reasonable.

I never said that players will not ask for big money, they just are not getting it like they did in the past. Revis and agents need to understand the new realities. They have changed. 

It is not their position to usually do so.

the fact that the rumored offer from TB keeps going up is a really good sign that the Jets might well get that big package. If it was up to the board you guys would have offloaded him for anything weeks ago. The leverage really is with the Jets. They have Revis under contract for another whole year. That's the bottom line. 

It is always nice to have someone be the conscience of the board to tell us what we are all thinking. That Revis is a scoundrel and should be thrown away.

The best part of this week's coverage has been that the media has resorted to guessing at what Idzik wants in this, and watching how frustrated they're getting at not having the third (Jets) part of the info stream made available to them. Dominik is a chatterbox, Schwartz and Feinsod practically live in the media, but it's the Jets's end that's getting criticized because nobody knows what the exact demands are. I love it, especially because the rumored returns keep getting better and better. Last week it was a 2 and next year's 4. Now it's next year's one and two. Tampa keeps showing their hand, in a nice demonstration of why you don't do it. That's how you get fleeced.

The best part of this week's coverage has been that the media is guessing at what Idzik wants in this, and how frustrated they're getting at not having the third part of the info stream made available to them. Dominik is a chatterbox, Schwartz and Feinsod practically live in the media, but it's the Jets's end that's getting criticized because nobody knows what the exact demands are. I love it, especially because the rumored returns keep getting better and better. Last week it was a 2 and next year's 4. Now it's next year's one and two. That's called showing your hand, and a nice demonstration of why you don't do it.

Let Them Rot!

This is 2013, not 1970.  Nobody cares where you live anymore.   I mean Manning is the biggest face in the league and he played in Indianapolis and now Denver.  Larry Fitzgerald plays in Arizona on a team who hasn't really had a QB since Warner left.  And he's right behind Manning in endorsements. Sam Bradford makes just as much as Revis when it comes to endorsements, and he plays in St Louis on a team nobody knows anymore.

Look at the NBA.  Carmelo now plays in New York, but Lebron is the man.    Carmelo wins, he might become the man, but he has to win first.  Lebron could have never won an NBA title and still get tons of endorsement deals.

Revis is right behind Fitzgerald when it comes to endorsement deals.  Neither are close to Manning.   Revis playing as a Jet or as a Buc isn't going to change his deals.  He's not going to get more for playing for a bad jets team that fades into oblivion. Star players can play anywhere these days and still get the same endorsement deals.   Would he get a couple of more for being a Jet?  Maybe, but not much more.   Playing for Tampa means he saves a hell of a lot in taxes though.

People do care where the live. Florida has no income tax, while NY and NJ have some of the highest income tax rates in the country. if you're after every last dollar (as Revis clearly does) that matters. You are correct though that in an internet age there's no great advatnage to playing in NY, unless you like paying ridiculous income taxes.

If you assume the Bucs with Revis will be better, we're looking at a 19 to 28 1st round pick in 2014. Would rather keep him and look to deal him in October. Better to get some games out of him and then deal him. Unless the jets know his health is not what they expect, then make the deal.

If the Bucs offered their 2013 #1 it should be done already, but clearly that's not the case.

The unfortunate part of this, however, will be when Idzik squeezes the 2013 first, 2014 second and another pick out of Tampa, the story will be that Tampa just got tired of waiting around for the stupid Jets to make up their minds; not that Idzik leaved everyone not named John Idzik over a pommel horse and dictated the exact terms of the deal to everyone involved.

The best part of this week's coverage has been that the media has resorted to guessing at what Idzik wants in this, and watching how frustrated they're getting at not having the third (Jets) part of the info stream made available to them. Dominik is a chatterbox, Schwartz and Feinsod practically live in the media, but it's the Jets's end that's getting criticized because nobody knows what the exact demands are. I love it, especially because the rumored returns keep getting better and better. Last week it was a 2 and next year's 4. Now it's next year's one and two. Tampa keeps showing their hand, in a nice demonstration of why you don't do it. That's how you get fleeced.

If (yes, IF) the 4 would have met the conditions to turn into a 1, then that prior deal would have ended up being higher.  This year's #2 = (theoretically) value of next year's 1; plus another #1 next year.  Theoretically, we could trade TBs 2013 #2 for someone else's 2014 #1.  Then we end up with (all 2014 picks) two #1s  vs one #1 and one #2.  

If we don't get that 2014 #1 from Tampa it's because new Revis is not as good as old Revis, so Idzik can save some of that valuable face we've been reading so much about. 

If new Revis is as good as old Revis, then we get two #1s for him (albeit a year later).  So the face he's lost this year will return next year.  Unless he uses one of those #1s on a CB and he kind of sucks.  Then his face will be lost again unless the other #1 is a great rookie.  Then he'll have lost half his face but gained half.  So on balance his face will be more or less intact.

If (yes, IF) the 4 would have met the conditions to turn into a 1, then that prior deal would have ended up being higher. This year's #2 = (theoretically) value of next year's 1; plus another #1 next year. Theoretically, we could trade TBs 2013 #2 for someone else's 2014 #1. Then we end up with (all 2014 picks) two #1s vs one #1 and one #2.

If we don't get that 2014 #1 from Tampa it's because new Revis is not as good as old Revis, so Idzik can save some of that valuable face we've been reading so much about.

If new Revis is as good as old Revis, then we get two #1s for him (albeit a year later). So the face he's lost this year will return next year. Unless he uses one of those #1s on a CB and he kind of sucks. Then his face will be lost again unless the other #1 is a great rookie. Then he'll have lost half his face but gained half. So on balance his face will be more or less intact.

Theory is for nerds. I don't understand why next year's first equals this year's two since that only applies up until next year's draft when, in fact, it will be a first round pick. I'd be interested to see what the qualifiers were that would take that fourth-rounder and make it a first, anyway. You'd imagine it would be somewhat ridiculous considering the range, and likely circumventable a la the Saints-Vilma situation.

Has nothing to do with incentives.  If his play noticeably dropped off, as often happens suddenly when players get older, they could have parted ways with him after 1 year.  Revis would not sign that (let alone before his ACL injury).  It's not the total amount of the deal; it's the guaranteed money.  And Revis ain't signing a deal with only $15M guaranteed.  

And where are you getting it from that he would take a $12-13M deal from the Jets? I thought you don't place any value on what reporters say, yet now you're balls deep on one unsubstantiated report from the biggest bullsh*tter of them all, Manish Mehta.  Not 24 hours later Peter King - Patslurper that he is, his reporting on what TB is willing to do is worth more than Mehta's - says the number is $15M and it's amusing that you still solely post the $12-13M number as though you saw a video of Revis saying that's what he wants.  Not to mention that contract from TB has a pre-tax equivalent of about $2M per year more than the same contract in NJ.  So even if it is a valid number, at best it's what he'd take from Tampa, not what he'd take from the Jets.  

It's an unsubstantiated rumor, from the least reliable "reporter" this side of Incarcerated Bob, and it's a rumor of what Tampa would offer to Revis, not what Revis would accept from Tampa (let alone what he would accept from the Jets).  Every other report, rumor, and indication from Revis himself, is that he wants millions more than that.  

The stupidity of Bailey's contract doens't mean any team should be more stupid with Revis. Neither is a QB, so they should never see those kids of numbers. What this has been about since the beginning si that Revis, arguably the best CB in the NFL right now, want to be paid like a primo QB. Under the cap that won't happen.

balderdash.

If that were the case why do half of the media talking heads have ties to the Jets.  Herm, Parcells, Mangini, Woody, Jason Taylor, Artrell Hawkins, Hugh Douglas etc.

There is an intrinsic value in playing in NY if you want a post football career in media.

I disagree because of the position that he plays.  In the age of Madden footbal, stats sell.  Kids know the numbers, touchdowns get all the attention.

But we are talking about a QB here.  If the Jets and Bucs are both predicted to be around .500 going into a season, the Jets will get more national games because of the NY thing.  More national games means more hype.

When you are a CB, hype is what you need because you don't have stats to fall back on.

Theory is for nerds. I don't understand why next year's first equals this year's two since that only applies up until next year's draft when, in fact, it will be a first round pick. I'd be interested to see what the qualifiers were that would take that fourth-rounder and make it a first, anyway. You'd imagine it would be somewhat ridiculous considering the range, and likely circumventable a la the Saints-Vilma situation.

Jimmy Johnson said so 20+ years ago, before there was free agency or a salary cap, so it's true.  And whether it seems stupid or not, it is a value teams use (at least loosely). 

I took the condition to mean if he goes back to being an all-pro or getting voted to the pro bowl.  If the condition is that Revis has to sign an extension with TB, or that he has to start 16 games, or anything Tampa can wiggle around and not related to how good Revis is in 2013, then it's stupid.  

Tannenbaum never figured New Orleans would risk trusting Vilma to hit free agency and sign a new Saints contract like 5 minutes later.  How stupid was that to not allow that wiggle-room? New Orleans either re-signs him for the next year and beyond, or they do not; none of this "Well, he signed it on March 5 instead of Feb 29th so instead of a 1st or a 2nd you get a 4th and a mouthful of Cajun spunk."

The stupidity of Bailey's contract doens't mean any team should be more stupid with Revis. Neither is a QB, so they should never see those kids of numbers. What this has been about since the beginning si that Revis, arguably the best CB in the NFL right now, want to be paid like a primo QB. Under the cap that won't happen.

In 1995 it could have. Even in 2009 it could have.

But there are new realities that prevent that. Under the previous CBA's, teams could count on the cap rising exponentially each year. You could cover up your bad mistakes and bad signings. That is not a reality anymore.

Already evident is that big contracts are becoming scarcer (exception-Mike Wallace, and I don't know why). Guaranteed money is starting to wane. Teams are going to have to start building more smartly and avoid overpaying for non-critical positions.

This is a new age dawning on NFL contracts and team cap allocation strategy

I disagree because of the position that he plays.  In the age of Madden footbal, stats sell.  Kids know the numbers, touchdowns get all the attention.

But we are talking about a QB here.  If the Jets and Bucs are both predicted to be around .500 going into a season, the Jets will get more national games because of the NY thing.  More national games means more hype.

When you are a CB, hype is what you need because you don't have stats to fall back on.

you should have added a balderdash in here somewhere.

balderdash.

If that were the case why do half of the media talking heads have ties to the Jets. Herm, Parcells, Mangini, Woody, Jason Taylor, Artrell Hawkins, Hugh Douglas etc.

There is an intrinsic value in playing in NY if you want a post football career in media.

Revis is going to retire with ~$100 mil in his pocket and isn't exactly Sir David Attenborough when it comes to being articulate. Why are we assuming he wants a career in broadcasting?

Jimmy Johnson said so 20+ years ago, before there was free agency or a salary cap, so it's true.  And whether it seems stupid or not, it is a value teams use (at least loosely). 

I took the condition to mean if he goes back to being an all-pro or getting voted to the pro bowl.  If the condition is that Revis has to sign an extension with TB, or that he has to start 16 games, or anything Tampa can wiggle around and not related to how good Revis is in 2013, then it's stupid.  Tannenbaum never figured New Orleans would risk trusting Vilma to hit free agency and sign a new Saints contract like 5 minutes later.  How stupid was that to not allow that wiggle-room? New Orleans either re-signs him for the next year and beyond, or they do not; none of this "Well, he signed it on March 5 instead of Feb 29th so instead of a 1st or a 2nd you get a 4th and a mouthful of Cajun spunk."

This is actually a pretty good article:

http://www.sportsplusnumbers.com/2012/11/what-are-nfl-draft-picks-really-worth.html

Revis is going to retire with ~$100 mil in his pocket and isn't exactly Sir David Attenborough when it comes to being articulate. Why are we assuming he wants a career in broadcasting?

Because he would be an excellent pawn in your game.

Jimmy Johnson said so 20+ years ago, before there was free agency or a salary cap, so it's true. And whether it seems stupid or not, it is a value teams use (at least loosely).

That guy could talk a one-legged man out of his only boot.

A blurb in one of the articles I've read the last few weeks said he might pursue a career in media when he's done playing.

Speaking the kings english isn't a prerequistite for being an ESPN talking head.  I still cringe when I remember Emmit Smith saying that a team "got debacled".

Primo QBs are making 20+ million now. Revis is not asking for primo QB money. That Bailey contract isn't and wasn't stupid. Somehow they were able to give Manning 20 million a year anyway.

Primo QBs are making 20+ million now. Revis is not asking for primo QB money. That Bailey contract isn't and wasn't stupid. Somehow they were able to give Manning 20 million a year anyway.

But he is asking for Primo money, at a position that on average, does not get it.

The die is cast. The Jets went "in" on Cromartie. They are not going to have 2 mega buck CBs on the same roster. It is ineffective team management from a dollar allocation standpoint. You don't build upside down (or in football parlance, outside in).

Has nothing to do with incentives. If his play noticeably dropped off, as often happens suddenly when players get older, they could have parted ways with him after 1 year. Revis would not sign that (let alone before his ACL injury). It's not the total amount of the deal; it's the guaranteed money. And Revis ain't signing a deal with only $15M guaranteed.

Has Evrything to do with incentives. Stay healthy for over a year and he's seeing 26 million garaunteed. That is what happened. They COULD HAVE cut him, but chose to keep him instead because he help up his end of the bargain, stayed healthy, and once again played at a high level.

No one said offer Revi anything like that. A 27 year old Revis is worth more than that. I said that already. It remains true.

And where are you getting that he would take 12-13 to sign with the Jets?

The same place your 16+ came from - NY tabloids looking for story to sell. If 12-13 is his market, factor in no income tax + the 3 million the Jets have for him then we're almost there. This number came within the past week. Your big ones came at least a year ago.

the number is $15M and it's amusing that you still solely post the $12-13M number as though you saw a video of Revis saying that's what he wants.

So now there's somebody willing to give him 15? Hey don't they know he won't impact what happens?!!?! That's 2006 tOp QB money!!! Only true impact guys like Jared Allen and Tamba Hali make that!!

Also you keep quoting 16+ as if Revis came out on video and requested that. I'm only using similar tactics here.

Im not dealing with more phone bullsh*t, lost the last part of your post. It's eithe this or I smash my phone:

Lol so now is the time to question what's written in the papers for you? What a surprise! 12-15 was always a more believable number (and far more recent) than what you were using, and I am still fully in for that price range.

But he is asking for Primo money, at a position that on average, does not get it.

The die is cast. The Jets went "in" on Cromartie. They are not going to have 2 mega buck CBs on the same roster. It is ineffective team management from a dollar allocation standpoint. You don't build upside down (or in football parlance, outside in).

1 - Revis is not "on average" so there's absolutely no reason to break it up.

2 - CB is a prime position in today's NFL.

3 - High end CBs have been amongst the highest paid players in the sport besides QB for the past decade. Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, and Aso right off the top, then there's the infamous D. Hall deal.

4 - Cromartie is very tradeable.

5 - Revis >>>>>>>>>>> Cromartie

6 - It is ineffective team management to trade an elite player in his prime because fans stuck in the 60's still try to tell themselves that CBs don't matter.

7 - Cromartie is hardly making mega bucks. The line for that with fans is really short -'I get that and I'm jealous they steal millions from my friend Woody too - but 9 million a year isn't mega bucks.

Archived