Report: Revis *would* get $12-$13 mil per from Bucs--financials sorted already

T0mShane

Hell, the guy's a HOF CB and only turns 28 in July.  The TB offers are the worst-kept secret in the league right now, right after Idzik's offer requirement.  And since Revis is still on the team, it would seem no one's called to sneak in and steal him away from TB.  Even TB is so far unwilling to give up a non-top-10 pick in a weak draft.

I think that may be why TB is getting antsy.  SF has the picks in this years draft to do just that.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, the guy's a HOF CB and only turns 28 in July.  The TB offers are the worst-kept secret in the league right now, right after Idzik's offer requirement.  And since Revis is still on the team, it would seem no one's called to sneak in and steal him away from TB.  Even TB is so far unwilling to give up a non-top-10 pick in a weak draft.

I think that may be why TB is getting antsy.  SF has the picks in this years draft to do just that.

We'll see.  If we do move him - and all non-Rex signs as of today suggest we're going to - we all want the best compensation possible.

Yet Cimini's number ($16M) is eerily close to King's ($15M). 

Cool, still lower. One million dollars is alot of money.

Thedifference is that King's is $1M per year less, and it came weeks after

seeing the CB market take a nosedive. 

Sean Smith and friends are not an accurate reflection of what the CB market is. Actually - they are a reflection of what the market is for average to slightly above average starting CBs.

If anything, it would suggest both numbers have some basis in what

Revis wants, with the slightly lower number reflecting both the lower CB

numbers and the lack of league-wide demand for him personally.

The basis would be that negotiations were always going to head towards those numbers and not you and your temporary friend Cimini's guess/numbers.

The market is different.

Smith would have gotten more in 2010-2011 than in 2013.  There was an expiring CBA with an uncapped year coming up and a general assumption that the cap would likely rise sharply thereafter.

Look at the deal Joseph got in 2011 right before we re-signed Cro.  THE Johnathan Joseph.  He of no all-pro team votes, no pro bowls, and a whopping 1 year of starting 16 games.  $10M/year.  He was not almost twice the FA CB then that Smith was this month.

Look at Dumervil.  He's not worth what he was either, has almost 50 sacks over the last 3 years even with Von Miller likely grabbing a bunch that would have gone to Dumervil a half or full second later.  It's different.

When there's a new TV deal in a couple of years, if it goes up then it will again be different and contract sizes will rise.

The market is different.

Smith would have gotten more in 2010-2011 than in 2013.  There was an expiring CBA with an uncapped year coming up and a general assumption that the cap would likely rise sharply thereafter.

Look at the deal Joseph got in 2011 right before we re-signed Cro.  THE Johnathan Joseph.  He of no all-pro team votes, no pro bowls, and a whopping 1 year of starting 16 games.  $10M/year.  He was not almost twice the FA CB then that Smith was this month.

Look at Dumervil.  He's not worth what he was either, has almost 50 sacks over the last 3 years even with Von Miller likely grabbing a bunch that would have gone to Dumervil a half or full second later.  It's different.

When there's a new TV deal in a couple of years, if it goes up then it will again be different and contract sizes will rise.

You seem to be making the point that Revis' next contract will be significantly lower than 15-16M. 

If Feinsod wasnt so close with the Bucs I would put my money on SF swooping in with the 2013 pick package that we trade Revis for.  Makes too much sense.  They are a CB from winning the SB imo.  They have TOO MANY picks in this years draft with how young thier team is.  If it makes that much sense, I dont see how it doesnt get done if not for Feinsod knowing that the Bucs will overpay for his client.

You seem to be making the point that Revis' next contract will be significantly lower than 15-16M. 

If Feinsod wasnt so close with the Bucs I would put my money on SF swooping in with the 2013 pick package that we trade Revis for.  Makes too much sense.  They are a CB from winning the SB imo.  They have TOO MANY picks in this years draft with how young thier team is.  If it makes that much sense, I dont see how it doesnt get done if not for Feinsod knowing that the Bucs will overpay for his client.

I'm making the point that his demands may still be in the $15-16M range when the market for him is less than that.  But that doesn't mean no one will pay him that much.  Maybe 1 team might (like TB) just like one team, Oakland, did with Asomugha some years back.

SF has a lot of super-expensive upcoming contracts to plan for, so it will be interesting if they do swoop in.

yeah. Probably just waiting for a lull in sports news to make the big announcement.

If they're trying for max exposure, they'd do it tomorrow afternoon so it's on the back pages on Monday. Would also give them 24 hours to get a pick for Wright. OTOH, I'm sure Idzik would prefer to bury it (unless he gets back more than we think he will), in which case they'll announce it Sunday night-Monday morning.

I would think the jets would want the pics for next years draft that has a much better chance of having better players.  I'd take a third or fourth this year and next years first and second.  then have the fire power to move up for the player they want next year.  maybe they even throw in wright to us.

all we know for sure is everyone will say the jets got hosed and are doomed 

no matter what happens

Would prefer a 2013 #1. But even if it's next year's picks, ultimately Revis is not coming back and 2013 is going to be a disaster. Give Idzik a chance to cut bait and look forward to 2014. Paying upward of $11 million for a corner even as good as Revis on this crappy a team would be a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a 1973 Ford Pinto.  

Would prefer a 2013 #1. But even if it's next year's picks, ultimately Revis is not coming back and 2013 is going to be a disaster. Give Idzik a chance to cut bait and look forward to 2014. Paying upward of $11 million for a corner even as good as Revis on this crappy a team would be a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a 1973 Ford Pinto.  

I don't mind 2014 picks, but I really don't want the best pick to be in 2014.  the 1st in 2013 plus maybe a 2nd and 5th in 2014 would be cool with me

Predictions T0m?

I say 1st and 3rd this year, plus a 2nd next year. 

That would be great value in my opinion. I don't think I can say no to that. We were rumor to want a 1 and 2 in 2013, if the offer was that then it's sort of equivalent but in a more preferable form.

I would think the jets would want the pics for next years draft that has a much better chance of having better players.  I'd take a third or fourth this year and next years first and second.  then have the fire power to move up for the player they want next year.  maybe they even throw in wright to us.

I was thinking that this would be best BUT if we got this years #13 overall, we could trade that for even more pics next year.  Going straight into pics next year removes that option. I say get this years pics, trade out of the pic for later pics in this years draft and get next year pics.  I think that is how the value chart for draft pics work.  This years draft supposedly has excellent value in rounds 2 and 3 so if we can trade the #13 for next years 1 plus a second or third I am all for that over going straight into next years draft as compensation for Revis.

I was thinking that this would be best BUT if we got this years #13 overall, we could trade that for even more pics next year.  Going straight into pics next year removes that option. I say get this years pics, trade out of the pic for later pics in this years draft and get next year pics.  I think that is how the value chart for draft pics work.  This years draft supposedly has excellent value in rounds 2 and 3 so if we can trade the #13 for next years 1 plus a second or third I am all for that over going straight into next years draft as compensation for Revis.

I think Idzik wants this years pick because who knows about next year. Players don't live up to expectations,  Tampa goes 11-5 and the Jets wind up with the 26th pick.  The Jets go 7-9 and get the 11th pick.   Always thinking that next year will be better isn't a way to build a franchise. It's just a way to keep making excuses.        

The Truth of all of this is that the Jets should accept the 1st & 2nd Pick in 2014 + a 3rd Rounder in 2013.

They can always trade down their 1st for a 2nd this year & a 1st & 3rd next year with another team on Draft Day.

This would give Idzik the chance to restructure the team in 2014 with a new head coach (sorry Rex but unless you get them to the AFC Championship Game, you are not going to be here in 2014) & give multiple supplementary picks as well.

But of course, that would be Great Management skills - If the owner would accept it...

Are you listening Woody? :wild:

If reports that Idzik is holding out for their #13 pick are true. Then I fully believe we will not trade Revis unless we get (at least) that pick.

John don't blink

It's a great move if it works.  

It's a horrible move if it doesn't and the Jets can't resign him or come to a deal with him and he walks for nothing next offseason.

The assumption that they can wait till the season is a bit off.   What bad team sitting at 1-5 is going to make a trade for Revis and hope they can resign him or extend him?    

A team like the 49ers might, if they think Revis will get them a super bowl win. But if the 49ers are 5-1 and trade their #1 pick and thats it,  the Jets would get the 30th -32nd pick in the draft.  How's that a better deal?    And do you really think a team is going to trade away the farm for a guy they might only have for 8 games?

It's a great move if it works.  

It's a horrible move if it doesn't and the Jets can't resign him or come to a deal with him and he walks for nothing next offseason.

The assumption that they can wait till the season is a bit off.   What bad team sitting at 1-5 is going to make a trade for Revis and hope they can resign him or extend him?    

A team like the 49ers might, if they think Revis will get them a super bowl win. But if the 49ers are 5-1 and trade their #1 pick and thats it,  the Jets would get the 30th -32nd pick in the draft.  How's that a better deal?    And do you really think a team is going to trade away the farm for a guy they might only have for 8 games?

Yeah, this is the thing.  Mid-season, a team is trading for half a season of Revis and half a season of exclusive negotiating rights to extend him.  Before the season, a trade partner can work out an extension as a precondition of the trade.  If they can't work something out with Revis, then there's no trade and we look elsewhere.  But mid-season? They're not going to go through a potentially lengthy negotiation with Revis while there's a season ongoing and a trade deadline maybe only days away.  At that point, also, one must consider that Revis may just take what will then be a half-season risk that he won't get seriously injured and he can then be a fully healthy, unrestricted free agent superstar.  Teams trying to sign him won't have to give up any picks and he could be fielding offers from a dozen teams instead of just 1 or 2.  

If next year's TB picks - for rounds 1 and 2 - seem inadequate, they're picks we're super-unlikely to get by the trade deadline.  And if we are unable (or unwilling) to extend him, then we chose to have Revis for 1 rebuild season plus the #100 pick in 2015 instead.

If Idzik (and Woody) are not hell-bent on not re-signing Revis for personal reasons, then I must say he's playing this super-cool.  Gets to see what the maximum market price is for Revis, then gets to cut that number a little because Revis can't just sign with someone else (unless he wants to risk injury or being a non-all-pro in 2013) and would likely take the big money now.  

The additional benefit it helps Idzik's position with TB.  By not even talking to Revis yet, there are no media leaks that the Jets have been meeting with him but are unable to extend him.  Those leaks could (or would) keep the Jets from getting the maximum trade offer.

He's playing it very cool and can continue to do so for weeks to come.  Either that or he's SUPER-stupid and I'm giving him wholly undue credit, though I don't think so.

It takes great management skills to trade an elite player in his prime for a couple of 3rds and a 2nd? 

Gotta love the Jet Nation...Future's on it's way baby! 

I didn't say that - what I was impressing on is the fact that we have a "Lame Duck" Cornerback that is going to run to another team (Possibly the Patriots as a free agent) in 2014 anyway...

Why not trade him off now for at least a 2nd rounder this year & multiple picks in 2014 so we can try to load up for 2014 - a much stronger selection than this year. 

Wow, SeniorGato you have to get rid of this "Give it to me now" 20/20 hindsight and come to the point that if we don't do this, we will be complaining for the next 4-5 years over "what might have been..."

all of the posters saying Idzik should just take whatever deal they can get are missing the point of this negotiation. the Jets have a 1st ballot HOF player in his prime. the onus is on the other team to make the Jets a good deal, not on the Jets to liquidate. Especially after they gave Revis his bonus. Look at it from the bucs perspective can they get a player as good as Revis with the 13 pick? Probably not. Brent Grimes who everyone says is an alternative ALSO tore his ACL last year. 

This is not the time to just take whatever deal they can. Week 8 is the deadline. The Jets have all spring all summer and most of fall to get value for Revis. 

all of the posters saying Idzik should just take whatever deal they can get are missing the point of this negotiation. the Jets have a 1st ballot HOF player in his prime. the onus is on the other team to make the Jets a good deal, not on the Jets to liquidate. Especially after they gave Revis his bonus. Look at it from the bucs perspective can they get a player as good as Revis with the 13 pick? Probably not. Brent Grimes who everyone says is an alternative ALSO tore his ACL last year. 

This is not the time to just take whatever deal they can. Week 8 is the deadline. The Jets have all spring all summer and most of fall to get value for Revis. 

I am not sure anyone is saying "take whatever they can get", BUT, the Jets are also in the quandry of only being guaranteed one more season of controlling Revis, and may get NOTHING in return for him. That is the WORST scenario.

I am not sure anyone is saying "take whatever they can get", BUT, the Jets are also in the quandry of only being guaranteed one more season of controlling Revis, and may get NOTHING in return for him. That is the WORST scenario.

nothing isn't entirely true. they'd get a 2015 3rd. Assuming they don't sign any big ticket FA (which seems to be a safe assumption, given Idzik's moves this spring). This GM might always shop in the bargain bin. Is a 2013 2nd really that much better than a 2015 3rd? It's marginal. and considering how good Revis is, his resume, it's getting ripped off. We should be saluting Idzik for not getting Ripped off instead of wondering why he hasn't liquidated the team's best asset yet. 

nothing isn't entirely true. they'd get a 2015 3rd. Assuming they don't sign any big ticket FA (which seems to be a safe assumption, given Idzik's moves this spring). This GM might always shop in the bargain bin. Is a 2013 2nd really that much better than a 2015 3rd? It's marginal. and considering how good Revis is, his resume, it's getting ripped off. We should be saluting Idzik for not getting Ripped off instead of wondering why he hasn't liquidated the team's best asset yet. 

I didn't know that all the  Jets were getting in return was a 2013 2nd.

The formula is unknown in relation to compensation for a lost FA. Personally, I expect Idzik to make some FA splashes next year. Maybe nothing earth shaking, but more than this year. 

It is possible in that scenario, that the Jets get NOTHING

I didn't know that all the  Jets were getting in return was a 2013 2nd.

The formula is unknown in relation to compensation for a lost FA. Personally, I expect Idzik to make some FA splashes next year. Maybe nothing earth shaking, but more than this year. 

It is possible in that scenario, that the Jets get NOTHING

I also think the idea of being able to have some control over where he goes is also appealing. NFC sounds nice.

Yes it is.  It is much better.

Tampa Bay's 2013 2nd is pick is the 11th pick of round 2, or #43 and we get it right away.  The 2015 "3rd" is a 3rd in name alone.  The entire 3rd round goes by and then the league gives us a pick.  Absent the league awarding a compensatory pick after the 3rd round is completed, that pick is the #1 pick of round 4.

You're saying there is only a "marginal" difference between the #43 pick right now and the #97 pick 2 years from now? Give me a break.  And when was it proposed by Tampa that the Jets take the #43 pick this year and nothing more? 

And it is my guess he is shopping in the bargain bin this year so he doesn't have to in the future.  Ways of creating more cap space this year include extensions for the likes of Sanchez and Harris and Holmes.  I am thankful he isn't doing that with any of those three.

If the Jets aren't going to re-sign Revis then the choice is not between re-signing him and trading him.  The choice is between keeping him this year and getting a high 4th round pick a couple of years from now (oh yeah, and one more season of Revis in what will be an inconsequential 2013 season with or without him), and getting a couple of high draft picks.  It is tantamount to choosing one more season of Revis (at $6M) or two high draft picks that would ideally be part of the team's future for years to come.  

They will not get higher compensation mid-season than they've been offered so far since the 2013 draft will already be a thing of the past.  Mid-season guess what we would hope to get? A 1st and a 2nd in the upcoming draft would sound good.

Archived