Jarvis Jones butchers pro-day workout

BroadwayJoe12

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Jones also completed 20 bench press reps to go along with a 9-foot-3 broad jump. It's an underwhelming performance, and the forty time is defensive tackle-esque. Jones wasn't expected to wow scouts with his forty. He plays much faster on film, but Thursday's results coupled with spotty medicals might push Jones into the bottom of the first round.

I still think he's going to be a very solid player in the NFL, but running like a defensive tackle as n OLB is not going to help you go top ten, even if you did dominate the best conference in all of college football.  He's really patterning himself quite closely to Terrell Suggs.

agree which is why he's not gonna fall to the 20s or whatever. I still see him as a top 10 pick. 

I agree that he should, but I just feel that teems fall in love with those numbers, combined with the health and I dunno if he'll go top ten.  I know courtney upshaw isn't in the same category as Jones, but he fell like a rock when he showed up and had a disappointing proday.  Regardless, I think the jets could be in very solid shape to land jones, who I still think is the best defensive player in the draft, if teams don't like these numbers.  It'd be a rare steal for the jets.

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Jones also completed 20 bench press reps to go along with a 9-foot-3 broad jump. It's an underwhelming performance, and the forty time is defensive tackle-esque. Jones wasn't expected to wow scouts with his forty. He plays much faster on film, but Thursday's results coupled with spotty medicals might push Jones into the bottom of the first round.

I still think he's going to be a very solid player in the NFL, but running like a defensive tackle as n OLB is not going to help you go top ten, even if you did dominate the best conference in all of college football.  He's really patterning himself quite closely to Terrell Suggs.

Ha!  I didnt see this thread and I just compared him to a smaller Suggs arguing with Hess in the other thread. 

Like the article said, the 40 time was expected but that's bad.  Still, he's a player who has game speed and its jumps out at you.  He's not like a Te'o who looks slow and the verifies it by running slow.  

I agree that he should, but I just feel that teems fall in love with those numbers, combined with the health and I dunno if he'll go top ten.  I know courtney upshaw isn't in the same category as Jones, but he fell like a rock when he showed up and had a disappointing proday.  Regardless, I think the jets could be in very solid shape to land jones, who I still think is the best defensive player in the draft, if teams don't like these numbers.  It'd be a rare steal for the jets.

I dont think Upshaw is a fair comparison.  He wasnt slated as a potential top 3 pick.  And he wasnt an eye popping athlete, just a sound well rounded LB like a Te'o.

And I'm with you and bit, I'm still dont think twice about taking him at 9 if he's there.

Depends on the subject. Not much encouraging about the Jets right now. I'll talk for hours about how good the penguins are right now though.

I'm just kidding man and f*ck your penguins.  They are playing great though; i'm just stoked my rangers won two in a row and moved back into 8th place.

Is this the first pro-day we've heard of him at?  Rex was there too.

It makes sense to attend.  They've got, what, 5 prospects that could anywhere in rounds 1-3. 

Where in Jenkins being projected these days?  I'd love to see a rotation of him and Ellis on that line.

Where in Jenkins being projected these days?  I'd love to see a rotation of him and Ellis on that line.

John Jenkins has had a really strong offseason.. anywhere from 25-45.  he's certainly leapfrogged Hankins

by the way I went and looked it up, Terrell Suggs was 6'3" 252 and ran a 4.88. 

John Jenkins has had a really strong offseason.. anywhere from 25-45.  he's certainly leapfrogged Hankins

by the way I went and looked it up, Terrell Suggs was 6'3" 252 and ran a 4.88. 

Damn!  He has leapfrogged.  He was projected 3rd round the last I looked, which would be a sweat round for a talent like him....depending on what they do with 9 and whats left in the 2nd, I'd highly considered that pick.  He was like Shariff Floyd, I couldnt believe when the season broke that people didnt have them as 1st round talents. 

And I didnt say it here but the first time I compared Jones to Suggs, I called him a mini-Suggs.  I think their games mirror each other, taking size and workouts out of the factor. 

And I didnt say it here but the first time I compared Jones to Suggs, I called him a mini-Suggs.  I think their games mirror each other, taking size and workouts out of the factor. 

I don't even think he's a mini suggs. He's basically Suggs. Jones 6'2" 249. Suggs 6'3" 252. 

Still want no part of Jarvis Jones. Looked like a small, average athlete who benefitted from being able to pass rush every down and playing on a stacked defense and that's exactly what he's testing out as, really he's testing out worse than that. Doesn't have Suggs' power at all. Good motor and instincts and he can beat half a blocker, but I don't see a primary pass rusher who's going to live in the backfield when I watch him. See someone who makes plays when offenses forget about him. He's better off going to a defense with a legitimate pass rusher across from him than the Jets, IMO.

Also, what makes Jones better than Moore at this point? He ran a wind aided 4.92 at his pro day, and pro day numbers are always better than combine numbers. Moore ran what, a 4.95 at the combine? Moore's a little bigger, and you can throw the production stuff out there for Jones but Moore was also super productive in the same conference. And Jones has injury concerns.

Ogletree is no doubt an ILB in a 3-4 scheme

Yes, No doubt. 

Unless he plays at weak-side linebacker in a four man front; He'd excel in that role.  Or maybe as a situational pass rusher, or hell, try him outside in a 3-4.  He measures (6'2, 242), Jarvis Jones is only 3lbs heavier yet he's not being questioned for his ability to play on the outside.  Ogletree plays loose, but like a man possessed.  His experience at safety can make him the hybrid LB/SS we feature in our 46 defense...or, we can just plug him in as a roaming backer. 

Yes, No doubt. 

Unless he plays at weak-side linebacker in a four man front; He'd excel in that role.  Or maybe as a situational pass rusher, or hell, try him outside in a 3-4.  He measures (6'2, 242), Jarvis Jones is only 3lbs heavier yet he's not being questioned for his ability to play on the outside.  Ogletree plays loose, but like a man possessed.  His experience at safety can make him the hybrid LB/SS we feature in our 46 defense...or, we can just plug him in as a roaming backer. 

Haven't been posting lately but Jarvis Jones size has scared me since the beginning of the draft talks. His medical questions still bother me and his athletic ability is subpar. Honestly, would prefer Dion Jordan, Mingo, or even Ansah over Jones. Sure he put up huge numbers, but that doesn't always translate to the NFL (see Gholston).

Haven't been posting lately but Jarvis Jones size has scared me since the beginning of the draft talks. His medical questions still bother me and his athletic ability is subpar. Honestly, would prefer Dion Jordan, Mingo, or even Ansah over Jones. Sure he put up huge numbers, but that doesn't always translate to the NFL (see Gholston).

Though tempted, I'm going to leave the Gholston comment out of this and just look at your other DE/OLB preferences. Every one of them has a unique upside. 2 of the three will be studs, one will bust. With Jones you get talent AND production...AND an additional draft pick in the 3rd round (Marcus Lattimore?)

The question is will drafting Mingo/Dion benefit the team more than Jarvis Jones and "x"?

Though tempted, I'm going to leave the Gholston comment out of this and just look at your other DE/OLB preferences. Every one of them has a unique upside. 2 of the three will be studs, one will bust. With Jones you get talent AND production...AND an additional draft pick in the 3rd round (Marcus Lattimore?)

The question is will drafting Mingo/Dion benefit the team more than Jarvis Jones and "x"?

Why would we get an additional draft pick in the 3rd round for drafting Jones?

Why don't we deal in reality rather than fantasy and conjecture? Until a Revis trade happens the conjecture in baseless and makes no sense.

You obviously didn't get the Offseason Newsletter.

Page 1, article 2B states that this is exactly the right time to conjecture this sort of stuff with fantasy.

This is the height of "What if..." season,

Please let us have this.

Archived