What Can We Learn From The Silence?

JetNation

JetNation LogoWhen you run a fan site, you learn to love big splashy headlines.  They make for easy content and allow for lots of discussion.  When you are a die-hard Jets fan, you learn to hate big splashy headlines.

History has proven many of these moves to be short-sighted and have hurt the team in the long run.  Acquiring Brett Favre, trading up for Mark Sanchez, putting the team on Hard Knocks, trading for Tim Tebow and trading endless draft picks are a few of the big splash moves that the Jets made under the leadership of Mike Tannenbaum.  None of those moves resulted in a Championship.

So far this off-season, there has been a lot of silence from John Idzik.  The news about the Jets has been mainly about:

• Free agent defections:  Mike Devito, Dustin Keller, Laron Landry, Yeremiah Bell and Shonn Greene
  • Darrelle Revis trade speculation
  • What the Jets will do with Tim Tebow

There has been a surprising amount of silence coming from Florham Park.  They don’t seem to be in a rush to answer criticism.  They decided to bring a bunch of QBs to camp and let that play out over the summer. Rather than bring in an Alex Smith and potentially hinder the Jets cap situation in future years.  This approach is in stark contrast to holding a press conference for your backup QB.

What can we learn from the silence?

Some Jets fans think it means that the Jets are asleep at the wheel.  I am not in that camp, here is what I think the silence means:

1. Under the leadership of John Idzik the Jets are no longer concerned with winning the off-season.  They are focused on a long-term strategy that will yield results on the field for years to come.
  2. Short term pain can lead to long-term gain.  The Jets won 6 games last season and they lost many starters.  We won 6 games with you, we can win 6 games without you.  That seems to be the approach that John Idzik is taking.  By avoiding big splashy moves, they can focus on the draft and improving the roster for the long haul.  Getting to 9 wins and a loss in the playoffs isn’t the goal.  Winning the Super Bowl is the goal, so if it takes some time to clean up the roster that is what the Jets have to do.
  3. John Idzik refuses to blink.  As a GM of a NY sports franchise, you will be tested time and time again.  Your latest move will always be what you are graded on.  But in the case of the Darrelle Revis situation, Idzik has not blinked.  Time will tell if the Jets sign Revis to a long-term deal or end up trading him.  What is refreshing is that Idzik hasn’t rushed to a decision.  The Bucs are rumored to be very interested, yet Idzik is focused on maximizing value.

The silence is a refreshing change from how the Jets have operated in recent years.  It would be nice if they can find a way to get Rex Ryan to speak less as well this season.  None of it will matter if the Jets lay an egg on draft day, that is where John Idzik will ultimately be graded.  Until that time, the silence is a nice change of pace.

What does the silence mean to you?

What I find interesting is that we've freed up quite a bit of cap room for no discernible reason. I mean, we might as well have kept guys like Sione Pouha at this point. Why did we re-negotiate with Holmes too? I think they are interested in some larger deals just haven't found one that fits yet.

What I find interesting is that we've freed up quite a bit of cap room for no discernible reason. I mean, we might as well have kept guys like Sione Pouha at this point. Why did we re-negotiate with Holmes too? I think they are interested in some larger deals just haven't found one that fits yet.

I like the approach because it seems to be focused on finding value.  I thought Dustin Keller should have been retained.  But there are reports that he isn't an ideal fit for this offense; so they let him walk.  Zero panic moves so far and that is cool.

it's all a prelude to resigning Revis.

YEP

I feel that "a man can dream" fits all these things its said we can take out of this offseason. Of course the Jets want to win the offseason, and they're doing a good job of it. Beyond a few different things, like Idzik inheriting a much more long term ready roster - I don't see a ton of difference between this offseason and Tannenbaum's first offseason. Started with cutting respected but clearly old players to save cap space (aka the first thing everyone does), top defensive talent might be traded (Revis >>>>> JAbe), top ten pick, no significant spending on FAs...

I assume we should take out of this offseason a New Culture built around the firs man ever to sell Jet fans on The Future...SSDD with this franchise, and everyone plays the game and resets with them every single time.

The positive scenario: he'll use that cap space to trade for Matt Flynn, Nick Foles-type QB and (maybe) cut a Sanchez or even a Holmes in an effort to clear the decks for 2014.

The negative scenario: Idzik and Johnson know 2013 is a wash, so they're going to keep that money in Woody's pocket instead of spending it on a few marginal stiffs who aren't going to factor into winning games, anyway.

YEP

I feel that "a man can dream" fits all these things its said we can take out of this offseason. Of course the Jets want to win the offseason, and they're doing a good job of it. Beyond a few different things, like Idzik inheriting a much more long term ready roster - I don't see a ton of difference between this offseason and Tannenbaum's first offseason. Started with cutting respected but clearly old players to save cap space (aka the first thing everyone does), top defensive talent might be traded (Revis >>>>> JAbe), top ten pick, no significant spending on FAs...I assume all those things we should take out of this offseason tie into a New Culture built around The Future...SSDD with this franchise, and everyone plays the game and resets with them every single time.

Chock-filled with young talent, indeed.

The discernable reason is 2013 is going to suck, and Idzik is pointing toward 2014, if very quietly. Recall what this got us-not much-

santonio.jpg

The positive scenario: he'll use that cap space to trade for Matt Flynn, Nick Foles-type QB and (maybe) cut a Sanchez or even a Holmes in an effort to clear the decks for 2014.

The negative scenario: Idzik and Johnson know 2013 is a wash, so they're going to keep that money in Woody's pocket instead of spending it on a few marginal stiffs who aren't going to factor into winning games, anyway.

When it comes to the QB I trust Marty Morninweg and nobody else.  Idzik might be able to get the QB right.  We know Rex won't get it right.  And Terry Bradway?  Please.  Anyhow I hope Marty gets the final vote on what they do QB wise.  Otherwise it will be more of the same.

When it comes to the QB I trust Marty Morninweg and nobody else.  Idzik might be able to get the QB right.  We know Rex won't get it right.  And Terry Bradway?  Please.  Anyhow I hope Marty gets the final vote on what they do QB wise.  Otherwise it will be more of the same.

Bradway's problem is that he has always been a scout. And at heart a scout is looking for an overachevier, a find, some kid nobody else knows about or few appreciate. And instead of simply  recognizing superior talent and moving on from there, he overreaches and picks his find way too early. Bryan Thomas was a perfectly accepable pick-in the 2nd or 3rd round. Same thing with Dwyane Roberston. Both guys had decent NFL careers but they had no business being picked that high.

Could be for the possibility of Revis resigning.

If they trade Revis, you'll see some spent after the draft to fill the leftover holes with leftover vets. Then, during the season, a smart GM would start doing 2014 extensions with 2013 money. And if they don't trade Revis, he could be included there, too.

it's all a prelude to resigning Revis. 

A man can dream. 

It certainly could mean that.

Perhaps this whole drama was a major chess game to show Revis that he is not worth the kind of money that he has been strongly rumored to be demanding.  With every intention of signing him at a reasonable rate for the best CB in the league who is off an ACL

I personally would be happy to see that.  Sadly I suspect that is not  what is going on.

Another option is, Woody has lost trust in his employee.  He has no intention of re-signing him, even if Revis agrees to sign a 5 year, $50,000,000 contract.  He doesn’t believe he will honor it. 

The money they are accruing right now will be used to cover the 13 million dollar cap hit when they trade him.

We'll see how it goes

Could be for the possibility of Revis resigning.

If they trade Revis, you'll see some spent after the draft to fill the leftover holes with leftover vets. Then, during the season, a smart GM would start doing 2014 extensions with 2013 money. And if they don't trade Revis, he could be included there, too.

Thing is, if they trade Revis before the draft,  they will be hit with 13 million against the cap.  There won’t be any money left over for any one else, or future contracts.

It is possible that Idzik want’s #13 badly, and is willing to to take the hit, if he gets it.

If the trade doesn’t go down by the draft, I don’t expect to see a trade until June 1st.  Cap hit then will be 6 million this year, and 9 next year.

Thing is, if they trade Revis before the draft,  they will be hit with 13 million against the cap.  There won’t be any money left over for any one else, or future contracts.

It is possible that Idzik want’s #13 badly, and is willing to to take the hit, if he gets it.

If the trade doesn’t go down by the draft, I don’t expect to see a trade until June 1st.  Cap hit then will be 6 million this year, and 9 next year.

Is it that much? Yeah, I'm sure that's a big part of the cap room he's acquired, then.

I still expect a trade before the draft.

What we are learning is how a high stake negotiation is maximized in your favor.  You have 1 huge asset, if you are willing to relinquish that asset you better make sure you maximize your return on that asset.  Cro maybe asset #2 on our whole roster and may be in play as well.  Plenty of time left to maximize our returns if we do trade.

When it comes to the QB I trust Marty Morninweg and nobody else. Idzik might be able to get the QB right. We know Rex won't get it right. And Terry Bradway? Please. Anyhow I hope Marty gets the final vote on what they do QB wise. Otherwise it will be more of the same.

Yes, I think Mornhinweg should and will play a large role in what QBs are added during his tenure. The guy knows QB play and is the most qualified coach this franchise has had in years to be a major player in the QB process.

What we are learning is how a high stake negotiation is maximized in your favor. You have 1 huge asset, if you are willing to relinquish that asset you better make sure you maximize your return on that asset. Cro maybe asset #2 on our whole roster and may be in play as well. Plenty of time left to maximize our returns if we do trade.

If that is what anyone has learned, have they learned anything? It seems incredibly obvious to want max return and patiently sift through the offers rather than just hand over a star for pennies.

If that is what anyone has learned, have they learned anything? It seems incredibly obvious to want max return and patiently sift through the offers rather than just hand over a star for pennies.

Yet that is what the media is demanding, that is what some fans are demanding.  Oh noes, the Bucs are losing patience, Idzik will be the sucks if he loses that deal.  Truth is, there are more teams that would like Revis, I still think that the 9ers are going to win this one and the Bucs are just setting the market on the package that they will have to beat. We have the goods when it comes to Revis, someone will have to pay if they want it.

Silence doesn't mean anything except Idzik wants to do things differently compared to the old Tanny/Rex era.    Anything else is BS.  Is there a plan for the future?  We won't know until we see the players on the field.  I'm sure there is a roadmap, but whether or not it's a good one, again, wait till we see the drafted players play.  

Bringing in a bunch of cheap injured guys just means they are bringing in a bunch of cheap injured guys. If they get lucky, great, if not, nobody would say it wasn't expected.   It's not about winning the off-season, the problem is if they go 4-12 and the drafted players don't seem promising,  they didn't win the season either.

Yet that is what the media is demanding, that is what some fans are demanding. Oh noes, the Bucs are losing patience, Idzik will be the sucks if he loses that deal. Truth is, there are more teams that would like Revis, I still think that the 9ers are going to win this one and the Bucs are just setting the market on the package that they will have to beat. We have the goods when it comes to Revis, someone will have to pay if they want it.

Media and their little sheep are pretty dumb. They cycle through this stuff and still don't learn. The media will preach Culture Change and Future every single time, fans will happily buy into this every single time. Both are forever scared of losing but not to the point where FO/coaching changes aren't granted a grace period where losing is allowed, accepted, and even preferred toget to The Future and allow time to Change the Culture. Eveeeeery siiiiiingle ******* time, AND no one calls the bullsh*t.

Media and their little sheep are pretty dumb. They cycle through this stuff and still don't learn. The media will preach Culture Change and Future every single time, fans will happily buy into this every single time. Both are forever scared of losing but not to the point where FO/coaching changes aren't granted a grace period where losing is allowed, accepted, and even preferred toget to The Future and allow time to Change the Culture. Eveeeeery siiiiiingle ******* time, AND no one calls the bullsh*t.

And straw men. Don't forget the straw men.

Silence doesn't mean anything except Idzik wants to do things differently compared to the old Tanny/Rex era.    Anything else is BS.  Is there a plan for the future?  We won't know until we see the players on the field.  I'm sure there is a roadmap, but whether or not it's a good one, again, wait till we see the drafted players play.  

Bringing in a bunch of cheap injured guys just means they are bringing in a bunch of cheap injured guys. If they get lucky, great, if not, nobody would say it wasn't expected.   It's not about winning the off-season, the problem is if they go 4-12 and the drafted players don't seem promising,  they didn't win the season either.

Yes.  That is why in the article I said Idzik will be ultimately graded on how well he does in the draft.

Until that time,  am glad they are not making moves (like acquiring Tebow) that set the franchise back even further.  This will come down to talent evaluation and drafting at the end, there is no doubt about that.

Archived