Woody isn't on the billionaire owner list

bitonti

which puts him in the bottom third of wealth for NFL owners.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/paul-allen-is-the-richest-nfl-owner/

The richest of all NFL owners, via SportsBusiness Daily, is Allen, at a whopping $15 billion.

A full 10 figures in the distance is Rams owner Stan Kroenke, at $5.0 billion.  (Coupled with wife Ann Walton Kroenke’s $4.5 billion, that’s a $9.5 billion power couple.)

The bronze is shared by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer, both of whom are listed at a net worth of $4.4 billion.

Next on the list is Jaguars owner Shahid Khan, at $2.9 billion.  Giants co-owner Joan Tisch also has a net worth of $2.9 billion.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is worth $2.7 billion, followed by Patriots owner Robert Kraft ($2.3 billion), Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III ($1.8 billion), Texans owner Bob McNair ($1.8 billion), Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti ($1.8 billion), Falcons owner Arthur Blank ($1.6 billion), Colts owner Jim Irsay ($1.5 billion), Titans owner Bud Adams ($1.2 billion), Saints owner Tom Benson ($1.2 billion), 49ers co-owner Denise York ($1.1 billion), Redskins owner Dan Snyder ($1.0 billion), and Chargers owner Alex Spanos ($1.0 billion).

That’s 19 teams owned by billionaires, with every team in the AFC South owned by a billionaire.  Which means, excluding the publicly-owned Packers, 12 teams are owned by non-billionaires.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another fun fact the only non billionaire owner to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years was the Rooney family and the Pittsburgh steelers who won in 2006 and 2009.

(In 2008 the team restructured the ownership and brought on several new investors)

The Packers also won but they are "public" owned.

So that's 3 Super Bowls in the last 14 years won by non-billionaires.  

That explains it all.  Everyone knows you need a billionaire owner if you want to win the Lombardi. 

maybe franchise QB isn't the most important position. I think more teams have won without franchise qb's than without billionaires. 

Rams. jaguars, Dolphins all losing franchises last number of years at top of billionare list

Ross bought the Dolphins in 2008. Kroenke bought the Rams in 2010.  Khan bought the Jags in 2011. (I don't know what Georgia Frontiere was worth when the Rams won)

I know that but  my point is we have had the resources to win just bad talent acquisition and management has been our failure not because woody needs a couple of more dollars in his pocket

thats a completly flawed arugment. Woody doesnt want to pay revis but has to spend the same money on other players anyway? 16m in 1 player or 16m in 3

first off it's probably 12 not 16 mil

but generally I agree it was a sarcastic remark

you don't actually have to be a billionaire to win. George Steinbrenner was one of the least wealthy MLB owners and always spent the most. In the NFL, the Broncos owner Pat Bowlen isn't on that list but clearly he is committed to spend. 

I am just sick of hearing how the Jets are cap strapped and blah blah blah. This team isn't getting better and they are trading their best player. 

If Woody does pay 3 free agents 4 mil a piece then yes that's another way to go. 

But he's not doing that. He's cutting everyone and the replacements are cheap as hell. 

Heck all the Rex haters know why Rex is still here. And Mark. It's cause Woody doesn't want to pay them to not be here. 

another fun fact the only non billionaire owner to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years was the Rooney family and the Pittsburgh steelers who won in 2006 and 2009.

(In 2008 the team restructured the ownership and brought on several new investors)

The Packers also won but they are "public" owned.

So that's 3 Super Bowls in the last 14 years won by non-billionaires.  

maybe franchise QB isn't the most important position. I think more teams have won without franchise qb's than without billionaires

Well, Bit, your poor math skills strike again

2012 -  Joe Flacco (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2011 -- Eli Manning (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2010 -- Aaron Rodgers (Franchise QB/Non-Billionaire Owner)

2009 -- Drew Brees (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2008 -- Big Ben (Franchise QB/Non-Billionaire Owner)

2007 -- Eli Manning (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2006 -- Peyton Manning (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2005 -- Big Ben (Franchise QB/Non-Billionaire Owner)

2004 -- Tom Brady (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2003 -- Tom Brady (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2002  -- Brad Johnson (Non-Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2001 -- Tom Brady (Franchise QB/Billionaire Owner)

2000 -- Trent Dilfer (Non-Franchise QB/Non-Billionaire Owner--Art Modell was not a billionaire)

1999 --  Kurt Warner (Franchise QB/Non-Billionaire Owner -- Georgia Frontiere was not a billionaire)

So in the last 14 years you mentioned, a franchise QB has won 12 times and a billionaire owner won it 9 times, and only 1 billionaire owner won the SB without a franchise QB while a franchise QB won the SB 4 times without a billionaire owner.

A franchise QB remains the most important component of a championship team.

first off it's probably 12 not 16 mil

but generally I agree it was a sarcastic remark

you don't actually have to be a billionaire to win. George Steinbrenner was one of the least wealthy MLB owners and always spent the most. In the NFL, the Broncos owner Pat Bowlen isn't on that list but clearly he is committed to spend. 

I am just sick of hearing how the Jets are cap strapped and blah blah blah. This team isn't getting better and they are trading their best player. 

If Woody does pay 3 free agents 4 mil a piece then yes that's another way to go. 

But he's not doing that. He's cutting everyone and the replacements are cheap as hell. 

Heck all the Rex haters know why Rex is still here. And Mark. It's cause Woody doesn't want to pay them to not be here. 

u do realize that u have to spend a certain amount of the cap per year right? Its not like hes not spending money woody is spending as much as everyone else heck the jets were in such cap hell cause they spent as much as they were allowed by the cap to spend.

I get it you dont want to trade revis but blaming woody cause hes "cheap" rly? Thats completely false

In completely unrelated news,  the 3rd richest owner wants to trade for Revis while the 20th-32nd ranked owner doesn't want to pay him.

Cause of football reasons. 

Woody, poor bastard. He's ruining our team with his mickey mouse budget. Lowly millionaire, several hundred times over. Disgusts me.

Woody's not cheap. he's just poor. At least compared to his peers. 

I believe Woody is the last non-billionaire to buy an NFL team.  That, plus the fact he is so heavily leveraged with the purchase of the team and financing the stadium, he has to be more cost conscious compared to other owners.

His net worth was over three billion within the last few years, with the Jets currently valued at over 1.2 billion.  the only thing that I can think of is there's some debt due to the construction of the new stadium that is affecting his status, but I highly doubt he lost 70% of his net worth and there hasn't been a reporting of it.

I believe Woody is the last non-billionaire to buy an NFL team.  That, plus the fact he is so heavily leveraged with the purchase of the team and financing the stadium, he has to be more cost conscious compared to other owners.

this post makes sense. 

In all seriousness- the building of all these new stadiums in the city were complete mistakes. The Yankees cant even sell out playoff games anymore. Opening day is going to be dead.

I loathe new Yankee Stadium but Citi is a treat. Too bad the Mets suck.

I loathe new Yankee Stadium but Citi is a treat. Too bad the Mets suck.

I agree I like Citi Field too...but the Wilpons werent exactly in a position to build a new Stadium.

I'd rather have a competitive team than a shiny overpriced stadium.

Archived