Woody isn't on the billionaire owner list

bitonti

you might disagree with me but there's no need to make it personal.

the fact of the matter is the supposedly cap strapped Jets are 13 mil under the cap right now and "can't afford" to pay their best player.

I know you just like to stir the pot but Woody's problem has never been spending, the dumb sh*t just spends it on the wrong things. Owners are going to spend every year one way or another. We're dicks if we don't pay Revis what's being reported with the Buc's. He's worth it and he'll still have the same value in year if things seem hopeless. I don't think he's worth QB money but his camp has to know he's not getting it now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the fact of the matter is the supposedly cap strapped Jets are 13 mil under the cap right now and "can't afford" to pay their best player. 

this is just wrong. They can technically pay the player heck they could pay me 13m but that doesnt mean they have to think hes worth it

Pretty funny line of thought considering how the Jets, with Tannenbaum spending Woody's cash, have overpaid more veterans than anyone else.  But right, Woody's too poor.  

Jets gave Mark Sanchez top 10 QB money. They overpaid in the most idiotic fashion for the likes of David Harris - made him the highest paid interior LB contract ever, breaking the previous record deal the Jets paid to their other interior LB Bart Scott.  When the Jets signed Calvin Pace they made him one of the highest-paid LBers in NFL history and one of scarcely-few non-QBs to get over $20M guaranteed.  Traded away dirt-cheap draft picks to pay Kris Jenkins a veteran salary of $6M/year.  Made Santonio Holmes one of the league's highest-paid WRs.  Paid Damien Woody $5M/year which was only cheap in hindsight; it was huge dollars for Woody at that point in his career, particularly to play RT.  Overpaid for a future HOF guard in Alan Faneca at a clip of $8M/year which also was the highest-ever annual salary for a guard, and also over $20M guaranteed.  With Revis already signed on at about $40M over the first 3 years of his current deal, the Jets went hard after Asomugha and were willing to pay him $12M/year also.  The Jets #2 CB is still one of the highest-paid CBs in the league.

And for those suggesting Woody would never let anyone go if he still had guaranteed money coming to him, Alan Faneca was cut and paid him almost double Rex Ryan's annual salary to not be on the team.

I've seen nothing of Woody Johnson as an owner to suggest that he is Smarter Than a 6th Grader, but cheaping out with the payroll is the polar opposite of the way he's been as an owner.  However much money he has or however much someone else has more or less than him, he is plenty rich enough to sign any players and max out the payroll any year as though he was twice as wealthy as Mark Cuban.  And you could say that about any owner.  No one isn't rich enough to max out against the cap every single season.

If we don't end up maxing it out this year my belief is that it will be done to push that cap space onto a future year where we actually have a realistic shot at the title.

Larz, Woody owns Johnson Financial Corp.  - a High End Real Estate Brokerage Firm located off Route 1 North in Princeton Junction, NJ.

He is the heir to the J&J Foundation - Not Johnson & Johnson Corporation.

Though J&J (Corp) supports the foundation - he makes no money from the earnings of Johnson & Johnson's day to day business - if he did, he would be a billionaire!

I'm not the one who is clueless...

he is CEO of The Johnson Co. Inc.  a private investment company.  he is worth 3.5 billion.  I know he isn't invloved with corporate J&J.   

you're right, my apologies.  what we read in the paper is leaks.  I think most of the leaks are coming from revis' camp right now.  for all we know idzik is just trying to gain leverage on revis.  I'm happy we have moved on from declaring players hall of famers to the media.  lets make them sweat for a change

this woody is an enigma wrapped in a mystery

He was born Robert Wood Johnson IV in 1947, the great-grandson of one of the founders of Johnson & Johnson. As a child, his future seemed preordained: “I thought for sure I was working for J&J,” he says. “I was going to be like my dad, and my grandfather, and get a chance to make Band-Aids, and pharmaceutical drugs, and cure cancer, and do all that kind of stuff.” But he never got the chance to work for, let alone run, his namesake company. In 1965, when Woody was still a teenager, his father, then president of Johnson & Johnson, lost his position after a feud with Woody’s grandfather. Five years later, both men were dead, Woody was in his early twenties, and his door into the family business was closed.

For a time, he drifted. He moved to Florida and got into real estate. A business partner from the seventies described the young Woody to the Times as having a Fu Manchu mustache, “his zipper open, sandals on, and long straggly hair.” Still, Johnson did well in business, augmenting his considerable fortune with a successful cable company. In the early eighties, Johnson toyed with investing in an NFL franchise in Tampa but decided it was a bad fit. He poured his energy into fund-raising, both charitable and political, becoming a major rainmaker for Republican pals like George W. Bush. Bush, of course, is another heir apparent to a family dynasty who spent some years in the wilderness before taking up sports ownership; he was part-owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team.

In 1999, when longtime Jets owner Leon Hess died, Johnson went to Hess’s funeral and he was impressed to see the whole team in attendance. When the Hess family put the team on the market, Johnson moved quickly. He was drawn to the Jets “as a chance to compete in a very competitive environment.” After all, New York is a bigger stage than Tampa, and winning a Super Bowl is a better way to make your name than padding your inherited fortune in the cable business.

J&J family money/investment company

real estate

cable company

Johnson is not dumb, cheap or poor and he is in fact a billionaire. Thinking he dumb, cheap or poor is laughable.

For a supposed dumb guy he has done very well with his inheritance, increasing his net worth substantially while also contributing nicely to society.

Hey the brilliant Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite. Was he dumb or poor? Maybe he was ignorant in how to build a winner but he did hire Parcells who almost delivered.

As a novice sports franchise owner Johnson tried with luke warm success, Tannenbaum's model of how to build a championship team.

It took a 6-10 season but he came to realize it wasn't working and has moved on. Not firing Mike T. would have been dumb.

I know you just like to stir the pot but Woody's problem has never been spending, the dumb sh*t just spends it on the wrong things. Owners are going to spend every year one way or another. We're dicks if we don't pay Revis what's being reported with the Buc's. He's worth it and he'll still have the same value in year if things seem hopeless. I don't think he's worth QB money but his camp has to know he's not getting it now.

Not sure how anyone could disagree with that.  It's not that Woody doesn't have money, it's just his money has been DUMB and MISGUIDED,  

he is CEO of The Johnson Co. Inc.  a private investment company.  he is worth 3.5 billion.  I know he isn't invloved with corporate J&J.   

He is not cheap. But his main qualification is as a Lucky Sperm Club member rather than any business acumen.

Ergo, he is basically Fredo Johnson. Fredo_Corleone.png

Johnson is not dumb, cheap or poor and he is in fact a billionaire. Thinking he dumb, cheap or poor is laughable.

For a supposed dumb guy he has done very well with his inheritance, increasing his net worth substantially while also contributing nicely to society.

Hey the brilliant Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite. Was he dumb or poor? Maybe he was ignorant in how to build a winner but he did hire Parcells who almost delivered.

As a novice sports franchise owner Johnson tried with luke warm success, Tannenbaum's model of how to build a championship team.

It took a 6-10 season but he came to realize it wasn't working and has moved on. Not firing Mike T. would have been dumb.

Leon Hess was until the end a bad owner, if by all accounts a decent man. But understand for what ever his failings as a football owner  he was in fact a business genius. Further, but for Leon Hess's logsitical ability to get gas to the US Army after D-Day World War II in western Europe probably drags on at least 6 months to a year longer. When you can point out to any accomplishment of Fredo Johnson that approaches either of those things, get back to us.

"increasing his net worth substantially while also contributing nicely to society." What crap. He's a rich spoiled brat who was lucky to be the alternate to the Dolans, who actually bid higher for the Jets after Hess died. Anyone that could think a. the West Side stadium had a prayer, b. didn't pursue a Queens stadium and c. thought the Sheetbox was a good idea is in fact a moron. and we will see the results of that brilliance in empty seats galore this fall. 

Sensible people wouldn't trust Herman Edwards with a coffee order. Mr. CEO hired him and kept him around for 5 years to drive the team Parcells left into a  ditch.

Calling Woody poor is an overstatement but I think we can agree he's in a wierd spot. It's almost like he wants to austerity the spending to deal with stadium debt. If Revis was 5 years older he would have gotten a huge 2nd contract cause they were trying to sell PSLs and going "all in" with Favre and other ill conceived contracts.

Now the team doesn't have money for anyone apparently. 

I've seen the whole 3 good players is worth 1 Revis argument but they aren't signing 4 million dollar players to replace Revis. They are signing 1 million dollar players.  

Calling Woody poor is an overstatement but I think we can agree he's in a wierd spot. It's almost like he wants to austerity the spending to deal with stadium debt. If Revis was 5 years older he would have gotten a huge 2nd contract cause they were trying to sell PSLs and going "all in" with Favre and other ill conceived contracts.

Now the team doesn't have money for anyone apparently. 

I've seen the whole 3 good players is worth 1 Revis argument but they aren't signing 4 million dollar players to replace Revis. They are signing 1 million dollar players.  

the cap has a minimum.  he may be cheap with coaches and the like, I don't see where you are coming from here with the players.  idzik (not woody) signed the million dollar guys because they were cut, and won't impact the jets compensatory draft picks nexty year. 

idzik is clearing the mess so he can go into next year with a flexible cap and maybe as many as 10 draft picks

if that means not paying a player that can be simply avoided (remember the indy playoff game ?) like the best defender in the league, it doesn't bother me

revis simply plays the wrong position to demand that kind of deal

Archived