This Mock draft has us taking LSU Mingo at 9

faba

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any news on what Sanders ran at his pro day?  I read all about Lattimore getting an ovation, but nothing about Sanders.  I think Ace Sanders would be a very interesting option for this offense, especially if he is dropping because of his lack of elite timed speed.  I think he had excellent shuttle numbers, but a pedestrian 40.

Is there any news on what Sanders ran at his pro day?  I read all about Lattimore getting an ovation, but nothing about Sanders.  I think Ace Sanders would be a very interesting option for this offense, especially if he is dropping because of his lack of elite timed speed.  I think he had excellent shuttle numbers, but a pedestrian 40.

Isn't he 5'7" tall in heels?

Marshall WR Aaron Dobson recorded a 4.42 and 4.44 forty at the school's pro day.
The Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets, Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles were in attendance. Dobson recorded a 4.29 in the short shuttle and ran the three-cone drill in 7.2 seconds. He also put up the bar 16 bench press reps. The wideout made some highlight reel catches and should be a third day selection. Mar 18 - 10:12 AM
Source: NFL.com

Cool. Thanks for posting. Those drops I saw vs. Florida really didnt happen, I guess.

I'm torn here. Do I side with the guy who has dedicated his life to sitting in a dark room with a TV and a spreadsheet charting every pass thrown to these receivers, or do I side with the guy who kinda watched the game at a Gator-themed bar in Jacksonville, dressed head-to-toe in Gator gear (hat turned to the back, natch), in between chatting up a portly, buck-toothed, 22 year-old barmaid about that awesome time he skipped Chem class to smoke an awesome fatty with Teddy Dupay? I might need a minute to sort through the qualifications.

Another fundamental skill that is lacking (not as severely) for Patterson is catching the football.  He had a few drops in bad situations during the 2012 season.  Patterson is a body catcher and he rarely plucks the ball out of the air with his hands away from his body. 

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/02/2013-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-cordarrelle-patterson/

Go back to the speed video and take a closer look at the two big drops he had against Florida and Georgia. The Georgia drop was a straight up drop. However, the Florida ball was overthrown to the point where Patterson could only get one hand on it. If he had reached out with both hands for that ball, he never even would have touched it. Ryan Tannehill threw a similar ball against the Patriots 160 feet through the air and it barely went beyond Brian Hartline’s two outstretched hands. If Hartline had stabbed with one hand instead of two, he might have actually touched the football, though he wouldn’t have stood much better chance of hauling it in. Because he futilely reached with two hands, Tannehill was blamed for overthrowing an open receiver. Because Patterson actually tried to haul in this overthrow with one hand, he is blamed for a drop.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-02-28/sports/sfl-draft-winds-20130228_1_draft-winds-simon-clancy-chris-kouffman/9

It's the last play in this highlight reel.  The analysis above is a bit simplistic.  He looked like could have easily pulled it in.  It was far from an overthrow.  FWIW it is also the only time I saw him reach out for a ball.  Plenty of hand fighting going on up the sideline.  The whole game he let everything get in on him.  I am much more tolerant of body catchers than most.  I actually view it as a skill, but this guy is excessive, at least in this game. 

I'm torn here. Do I side with the guy who has dedicated his life to sitting in a dark room with a TV and a spreadsheet charting every pass thrown to these receivers, or do I side with the guy who kinda watched the game at a Gator-themed bar in Jacksonville, dressed head-to-toe in Gator gear (hat turned to the back, natch), in between chatting up a portly, buck-toothed, 22 year-old barmaid about that awesome time he skipped Chem class to smoke an awesome fatty with Teddy Dupay? I might need a minute to sort through the qualifications.

Hunter wasnt even on that chart btw.

^Show me a single receiver that didn't have "a couple drops." The numbers are there. He's dropped a few balls, but a relatively minimal amount. Going through his tape, finding one of those few drops, and trying to generalize the cause as a technique issue when he doesn't otherwise have a ton of drops is trying way too hard.

Marry me?

^Show me a single receiver that didn't have "a couple drops." The numbers are there. He's dropped a few balls, but a relatively minimal amount. Going through his tape, finding one of those few drops, and trying to generalize the cause as a technique issue when he doesn't otherwise have a ton of drops is trying way too hard.

I am not generalizing the cause as a technique issue. I was noting the "technique issue."  It's only one game, but in that game he sure body caught everything. I really only watched the video to see what I thought of the drop.  I hear these drop stats and then I hear that Keller dropped 5 balls in a game where I think he might have dropped one because the stat is so subjective.  This was not a blatant horrible drop like Hill against the Pats, but not completely excusable like the Dolphin fan up there thinks. Not every ball a WR gets his hand on and doesn't catch is a drop IMO.

I am not generalizing the cause as a technique issue. I was noting the "technique issue." It's only one game, but in that game he sure body caught everything. I really only watched the video to see what I thought of the drop. I hear these drop stats and then I hear that Keller dropped 5 balls in a game where I think he might have dropped one because the stat is so subjective. This was not a blatant horrible drop like Hill against the Pats, but not completely excusable like the Dolphin fan up there thinks. Not every ball a WR gets his hand on and doesn't catch is a drop IMO.

I didn't mean that you were generalizing, my friend. I meant the article.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ace-sanders?id=2540267

yeah, and it sounds like he's more of a punt returner than a receiving option. 

Why does he sound like he isn't a receiving option?  According to that chart he didn't drop a ball last year and had 9 TDs.  He seems like he could be a monster in the slot - his 40 is not good, but he had the quickest 60 yard shuttle.  If we can get him later later than the 4th I think I'm pretty happy.  Don't sleep on the importance of punt returns either. 

Is there any news on what Sanders ran at his pro day? I read all about Lattimore getting an ovation, but nothing about Sanders. I think Ace Sanders would be a very interesting option for this offense, especially if he is dropping because of his lack of elite timed speed. I think he had excellent shuttle numbers, but a pedestrian 40.

it was really bad. Like 4.68 bad or something like that.

Edit: oops I thought you asked combine at first. That's combine, not pro day. My bad. Don't know pro day numbers.

SANDERS SPEEDS UP

Ace Sanders’ pro day goals were as much about his hands as they were his legs.

“I wanted to show I could catch with my hands,” Sanders said. “I had to catch the ball away from my body, and I did that today.”

The wide receiver and punt returner also improved his 40-yard dash from 4.58 seconds in Indianapolis to 4.56 in Columbia.

And to close out pro day, already holding three balls, Sanders caught a fourth ball, something he said he’s never done before.

Maybe the sh*ttiest mock I've seen so far

No damn way guys like Warmack, Jordan, Floyd, Cooper, etc drop that far.

And no way Werner, Allen, Lacy, etc go that high.

Since every single 1st round graded passrusher comes with red flags out the ass and Patterson/Austin are pretty big reaches in the Top 10 IMO, I say take Warmack. This whole "you don't draft guards in the Top 10" philosophy is outdated as hell. If their respective drafts were done over again, you don't think guys like Mike Iupati, Carl Nicks, Logan Mankins, and Marshall Yanda would be Top 10 picks?

Warmack isn't your regular 1st round graded OG. The guy is basically John Hannah dipped in chocolate. Plug him between Brick and Mangold and form the best leftside OL in football.

If Warmack is out there annhilating everyone in front of him, opening up gaping holes in the running game, and turns out to be an all-pro for a decade...who's going to give two sh*ts where we drafted him anyway?

Just saw a mock draft that has us taking Star Lotulelei in the 1st. The guy looks amazing, but I don't understand... how many 1st string defensive linemen do we really need? We have 2 good young players there and a third in Kenrick Ellis coming along. Why not go for OLB, WR, etc?

Archived