Baseball is here...

Maxman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First to 100 losses wins

I think Houston has that in the bag.

Boston is having trouble selling tickets too. Relax. 

No they don't.   Whatever is not sold is 'given' to charity.

I think Houston has that in the bag.

No they don't.   Whatever is not sold is 'given' to charity.

They will still lose their sellout streak. I was pricing Red Sox tickets on stubhub for a trip I'm taking up there for work and they are MUCH cheaper than they have been in the past. 

They will still lose their sellout streak. I was pricing Red Sox tickets on stubhub for a trip I'm taking up there for work and they are MUCH cheaper than they have been in the past. 

It is a farce anyways. 

Not surprising.

The Red Sox are supposed to be a rudderless franchise that sucks.

To be fair every MLB team is having trouble selling tickets.The economy sucks.  The tickets are ridiculously overpriced, and you could buy an 18-pack of beer for what they get you for warm tap beer at the game. Most laughable-ad signs all over Citifield fo $5 footlong Subway sandwiches, while at Citifield said sandwich costs $12-15.Appears at least in the northeast MLB doens't grasp that if they want to sell those seats they have to make it more reasonable for a family with small kids to go to a game. There is nothing like a little boy going to his first baseball game. Fewer little boys are having that experience. They are losing future fans because of greed.

Might also help if you didn't allow batters to step out every pitch.In the 1970s Toby Harrah of the Indians did that and he was universally mocked. In every Brooklyn Cyclones game I ahve been to, Single A ball, nobody does that. It adds nothing to the game but dead time. You could knock 20 minutes off every game if you stopped that. Once you don't give a batter a timeout and tell any one pitcher to throw a pitch, that will end in a day.

To be fair every MLB team is having trouble selling tickets.The economy sucks.  The tickets are ridiculously overpriced, and you could buy an 18-pack of beer for what they get you for warm tap beer at the game. Most laughable-ad signs all over Citifield fo $5 footlong Subway sandwiches, while at Citifield said sandwich costs $12-15.Appears at least in the northeast MLB doens't grasp that if they want to sell those seats they have to make it more reasonable for a family with small kids to go to a game. There is nothing like a little boy going to his first baseball game. Fewer little boys are having that experience. They are losing future fans because of greed.

Might also help if you didn't allow batters to step out every pitch.In the 1970s Toby Harrah of the Indians did that and he was universally mocked. In every Brooklyn Cyclones game I ahve been to, Single A ball, nobody does that. It adds nothing to the game but dead time. You could knock 20 minutes off every game if you stopped that. Once you don't give a batter a timeout and tell any one pitcher to throw a pitch, that will end in a day.

Exactly.  I go to AAA (Nashville Sounds) games and the three hour game is actually filled with play (and give aways) not the continuous delays caused by players.

wHAT fRANchize has MORE rINGz ???!!!???

He roots for the Penguins, Red Sox, Notre Dame, and Jets, because growing up, he had a bootleg hockey video game, his favorite color was green, and he loved Jose Canseco.

How can you take him seriously enough to even respond?

He roots for the Penguins, Red Sox, Notre Dame, and Jets, because growing up, he had a bootleg hockey video game, his favorite color was green, and he loved Jose Canseco.

How can you take him seriously enough to even respond?

I'm flattered you're so knowledgable about my fandom. Let me know when you're elected king supreme over sports fandom. Otherwise, take a slice of humble pie and get over yourself.

I'm flattered you're so knowledgable about my fandom. Let me know when you're elected king supreme over sports fandom. Otherwise, take a slice of humble pie and get over yourself.

So in bootleg hockey '91, were the North Stars purple, and the Whalers orange? :hand:

So you're going to question and criticize the fandom of an 8 year old? That's awesome of you. I bet you're a hit at the circle jerks you attend.

I question whether it was the game or your TV that was bootleg, and I thought you would be 12 by now.

Any Yankees fans still want to argue that Hughes is better than Buchholz? Haha

I'd say both have been pretty disappointing as major leaguers at this point. Hughes was better last year, Buchholz is off to a better start this year. Neither of them are aces. They are both FA's so we'll see what they get at the end of the year. 

I'd say both have been pretty disappointing as major leaguers at this point. Hughes was better last year, Buchholz is off to a better start this year. Neither of them are aces. They are both FA's so we'll see what they get at the end of the year. 

Buchholz - Career 3.80 ERA

Hughes - Career 4.46 ERA

Come on. It's not even close.  Hughes had one solid season and it was as a reliever.

The only knock on Bucholz is his injury that marred most of 2011 and affected him into 2012.

Otherwise, he has been good. And for the record, Hughes was barely better than Bucholz last year.

Buchholz - Career 3.80 ERA

Hughes - Career 4.46 ERA

Come on. It's not even close.  Hughes had one solid season and it was as a reliever.

Nice cherry picking of one stat lol. I'm not saying Hughes has been what he should've been but neither has Buchholz and if you can make excuses for Buchholz' bad years with injuries you can do the same for Hughes. 

Nice cherry picking of one stat lol. I'm not saying Hughes has been what he should've been but neither has Buchholz and if you can make excuses for Buchholz' bad years with injuries you can do the same for Hughes.

That's one of the key stats for any pitcher at any time throughout the history of baseball. I'm not cherry picking something ridiculous and random. I picked the major stat of which most people judge pitchers by. Let's not forget that his ERA is even higher when you consider him as just a starter.

That's one of the key stats for any pitcher at any time throughout the history of baseball. I'm not cherry picking something ridiculous and random. I picked the major stat of which most people judge pitchers by. Let's not forget that his ERA is even higher when you consider him as just a starter.

Congratulations on your #2 starter having a lower ERA than the Yankees #5 starter.  I guess?

Congratulations on your #2 starter having a lower ERA than the Yankees #5 starter. I guess?

They both came up at the same time. The point is is that if Hughes was good he wouldn't be a fifth starter and the Yankees wouldn't be hoping and praying that Pettite and Kuroda don't fall apart. You're missing the point, then again, you're just a potato.

ERA+ Shutouts?  Complete Games?    ;)

Fair enough on the injuries.  If you want to say it is injuries or Yankee mis-management of his growth, he isseems to have reached his ceiling looks to become a serviceable 3rd - 5th starter in a place like KC next year.

Bucholz has show more upside in his career.  Can you say the same of Hughes?  No.   

ERA+ Shutouts?  Complete Games?    ;)

Fair enough on the injuries.  If you want to say it is injuries or Yankee mis-management of his growth, he isseems to have reached his ceiling looks to become a serviceable 3rd - 5th starter in a place like KC next year.

Bucholz has show more upside in his career.  Can you say the same of Hughes?  No.   

That isn't unreasonable however Buchholz hasn't been anything better than a 3-4 starter either. We'll see what they each get in the free agent market. Hughes might have more success in the NL or in a bigger ballpark since he's developed some disturbing fly ball habits. 

They both came up at the same time. The point is is that if Hughes was good he wouldn't be a fifth starter and the Yankees wouldn't be hoping and praying that Pettite and Kuroda don't fall apart. You're missing the point, then again, you're just a potato.

That's your point?  That if Phil Hughes were better, he would be better?  Or that all guys that come up at the same time are supposed to be equal? How astute. 

They are what they are.  Hughes is counted on only to be a 5/6 starter at this point.  Nothing else.  This comparison is beyond stupid.

Or you can stick with your bizarre logic.  John Lackey and CC Sabathia came up to the majors around the same time, too.  You know what?  If John Lackey was as good as CC Sabathia, he wouldn't suck!

That's your point? That if Phil Hughes were better, he would be better? Or that all guys that come up at the same time are supposed to be equal? How astute.

They are what they are. Hughes is counted on only to be a 5/6 starter at this point. Nothing else. This comparison is beyond stupid.

Or you can stick with your bizarre logic. John Lackey and CC Sabathia came up to the majors around the same time, too. You know what? If John Lackey was as good as CC Sabathia, he wouldn't suck!

You're so dense. Hughes and Buchholz were compared because they came up around the same time, not by me but by proud Yankees fans crowing and beating their chests. A few year later now and Phil Hughes isn't the second coming and he's actually bordering awful. So, yeah, why don't you go back and take a look at threads in the archives and get some facts straight.

You're so dense. Hughes and Buchholz were compared because they came up around the same time, not by me but by proud Yankees fans crowing and beating their chests. A few year later now and Phil Hughes isn't the second coming and he's actually bordering awful. So, yeah, why don't you go back and take a look at threads in the archives and get some facts straight.

You brought it up.  No one else did.  If you want to prove that happened however many years ago, that's on you.

While you're at it, why don't you see if you can find all the "Garciaparra is better than Jeter" posts.  Since that's exactly the same thing, only real, and meaningful.

You brought it up. No one else did. If you want to prove that happened however many years ago, that's on you.

While you're at it, why don't you see if you can find all the "Garciaparra is better than Jeter" posts. Since that's exactly the same thing, only real, and meaningful.

Not sure this board existed when Nomar was playing. Nomar was a good player for a number of years and injuries robbed him of what might have been. The only thing Nomar was better at was hitting for power. Jeter was the better defender, stole way more bases, etc. jeter's best season was better than Nomar's as far as WAR is concerned. I don't think you'd get much of an argument on who was the better player. The better hitter is much closer.

I did bring it up and you responded so you ought to be ready to defend your position.

Not sure this board existed when Nomar was playing. Nomar was a good player for a number of years and injuries robbed him of what might have been. The only thing Nomar was better at was hitting for power. Jeter was the better defender, stole way more bases, etc. jeter's best season was better than Nomar's as far as WAR is concerned. I don't think you'd get much of an argument on who was the better player. The better hitter is much closer.

I did bring it up and you responded so you ought to be ready to defend your position.

I don't really have a position to defend, other than the fact that this is a stupid comparison.  In  fact, I even congratulated you on your little self-created argument with yourself.  

If you want to boast about a #2 starter having a better ERA than a #5 starter, have at it.  But it's really no different than a "Hey guys, I just drank pee!  But at least it wasn't poo!"

I don't really have a position to defend, other than the fact that this is a stupid comparison. In fact, I even congratulated you on your little self-created argument with yourself.

If you want to boast about a #2 starter having a better ERA than a #5 starter, have at it. But it's really no different than a "Hey guys, I just drank pee! But at least it wasn't poo!"

They were both considered top of the rotation guys coming up. What are you failing to understand about that fact?

Archived