Am I the only one who finds this funny?

SenorGato

2006: Tannenbaum takes over, takes the safest OLman with his first top 10 pick, and trades the team's best defender for a 1st.

Highly popular fan scenario this 2013 offseason:

Idzik trades the team's best defensive playmaker for a 1st and uses one of the picks on the draft's safest OL prospect.

Last time the excuse for trading the best defensive player on the team was based on many years of not showing up in the playoffs and missing games. This time it's just because the best defensive player didn't win us a Super Bowl by himself so therefore does not impact the game in the right way. 

The last guy went to a team that eventually put together the only way to win in today's game according to the internet - drafted a QB high, paid an arm and leg for Weaponz (WR, RB, AND TE), and last guy played the stud pass rusher. # of Super Bowls either the Jets or the other team won? None. ****. 

I don't know what is more hilarious to me - Nick Cannon or Jets Lyfe. 

Hi. Tannenbaum was a terrible GM.

Go about your day. Nothing to see here.

Exactly why Idzik shouldn't be using his first offseason as a model for his first offseason. That's pretty much what seems to be in demand. Tannenbaum got alot of love for staying away from expensive FAs, cutting aging and expensive vets, trading his best defensive player, and taking the safest player in the top 10. Since we all like to think in general teams that's pretty damn close to what Idzik has done/what seems to be a popular option. 

BTW: Pretty fun that that is what you choose to make my agenda. This is not a Tannenbaum defense, but a lolJets...thing. 

2006: Tannenbaum takes over, takes the safest OLman with his first top 10 pick, and trades the team's best defender for a 1st.

Idzik trades the team's best defensive playmaker for a 1st and uses one of the picks on the draft's safest OL prospect.

Last time the excuse for trading the best defensive player on the team was based on many years of not showing up in the playoffs and missing games. This time it's just because the best defensive player didn't win us a Super Bowl by himself so therefore does not impact the game in the right way. 

The last guy went to a team that eventually put together the only way to win in today's game according to the internet - drafted a QB high, paid an arm and leg for Weaponz (WR, RB, AND TE), and last guy played the stud pass rusher. # of Super Bowls either the Jets or the other team won? None. ****. 

your over simplifying one argument and not another to fit your views.

look i can do it too.

The team wants to get rid of him because they dont feel he is worth the money he is trying to get

on the other hand the people who want to keep him want him because they own his jersey and is their favorite player

I get the irony of the similar circumstances. Credit to you for pointing that out... but, as usual, you lose yourself and your audience in trying to jam-pack the rest of the post with Gato-agenda points.

You are like the sales guy that puts EVERYTHING into one slide in the Powerpoint, then wonders why nobody wants to hear your pitch. Pace yourself. 

I get the irony of the similar circumstances. Credit to you for pointing that out... but, as usual, you lose yourself and your audience in trying to jam-pack the rest of the post with Gato-agenda points.

You are like the sales guy that puts EVERYTHING into one slide in the Powerpoint, then wonders why nobody wants to hear your pitch. Pace yourself. 

I have to say that you're correct here. That sucks because I can make a pretty damn good presentation. 

I should have just made the real point - Tannenbaum's first offseason and the path many support Idzik taking - and left it. All I did was gift the one called T0m an opportunity. 

I have to say that you're correct here. That sucks because I can make a pretty damn good presentation. 

I should have just made the real point - Tannenbaum's first offseason and the path many support Idzik taking - and left it. All I did was gift the one called T0m an opportunity. 

It's okay, let T0m talk a bit more and then I'll stomp on his chicken neck too.

I do get what you are saying though, it's an eery coincidence. I never really agreed with the Abraham trade either, nor did I agree we should have cut Mawae who went on to play a few more really solid years.

Oh well.

Is this really a surprise?  

1 minute you're a god around here, and the next minute, you're the worst thing thats ever happened to the franchise.  

How so, besides This Time It's Different (which oversimplifies nothing, totally)? 

look at my above edit of that same post.

Also "This time it's just because the best defensive player didn't win us a Super Bowl by himself". Just seems like your using a gross over characterization to state your point

look at my above edit of that same post.

Also "This time it's just because the best defensive player didn't win us a Super Bowl by himself". A gross over characterization

Not really. Infinitely less so than the best defensive player isn't an impact talent...Just sayin'. 

The team wants to get rid of him because they dont feel he is worth the money he is trying to get

on the other hand the people who want to keep him want him because they own his jersey and is their favorite player

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, Today, 03:09 PM.

I made no assumptions in mind. You assume: 1. What the team wants 2. What the player wants 3. Why people want to keep him. The whole "no Super Bowl WITH Revis" is a real argument made here - no over characterization necessary (at least not to such an extreme - and boy do I love margins). 

Not really. Infinitely less so than the best defensive player isn't an impact talent...Just sayin'. 

I made no assumptions in mind. You assume: 1. What the team wants 2. What the player wants 3. Why people want to keep him. The whole "no Super Bowl WITH Revis" is a real argument made here - no over characterization necessary (at least not to such an extreme - and boy do I love margins). 

a wrong view does not make another view of the same subject right. A third or fourth or fifth opinion could be right or none at all.

And i dont assume what the team wants at all because he is still a jet this is strictly why i would get rid of him. Also we know what he wants around 12-16m but in my view anything over 12 is to much for him. The no super bowl with revis is an argument well more of a fact cause yea we havnt won a super bowl with him BUT saying thats the sole reason and people wanting him to win it by himself is where you over characterize.

It's okay, let T0m talk a bit more and then I'll stomp on his chicken neck too.

I do get what you are saying though, it's an eery coincidence. I never really agreed with the Abraham trade either, nor did I agree we should have cut Mawae who went on to play a few more really solid years.

Oh well.

The Mawae and Kendall deals may have been predicated on their union activity.  Both were supposed to be clubhouse lawyers.  I didn't agree with it much either, but I think it was the dark side of the Mangini-way.  Molding the players, getting a certain type and having a willingness to circumvent some of the union rules - making voluntary workouts basically mandatory, etc.

I don't understand the point of this thread because in the draft referenced, Tannenbaum used his two first round picks to select two pro bowl players.  It was actually one his better moves.  Are we saying that Idzik should not aspire to draft two pro bowlers in this draft, or what?

...what?

Peacocking doesn't work on me T0m. Your laziness combined with your infallible confidence doesn't actually make your content any better.

And i dont assume what the team wants at all because he is still a jet this is strictly why i would get rid of him. Also we know what he wants around 12-16m but in my view anything over 12 is to much for him. The no super bowl with revis is an argument well more of a fact cause yea we havnt won a super bowl with him BUT saying thats the sole reason and people wanting him to win it by himself is where you over characterize.

You did assume, it is an argument (that happens to be built around one fact, sure), and apparently the only positions worth paying are ones basic fans can perceive to be the sole reason for victory. 

I don't understand the point of this thread because in the draft referenced, Tannenbaum used his two first round picks to select two pro bowl players.  It was actually one his better moves.  Are we saying that Idzik should not aspire to draft two pro bowlers in this draft, or what?

Oh literal Stonehands. 

Lol 20 posts in before Godwin's Law kicks in. 

Or that time the Raiders drafted a QB first overall and cut Nnamdi??????? HOW'D TGAT WORK OUTTTTTTT?

So...don't dump Revis and tank for a #1 underclassman QB? You're getting there!

Peacocking doesn't work on me T0m. Your laziness combined with your infallible confidence doesn't actually make your content any better.

You did assume, it is an argument (that happens to be built around one fact, sure), and apparently the only positions worth paying are ones basic fans can perceive to be the sole reason for victory. 

your really just showing me your argument has no more validity then mine or others or atleast your doing a very very poor job of explaining it

If you want to have the opinion that we should keep revis great but dont act like your opinion is higher up than others because your reasoning is really flawed and based on over characterizations and the twisting of words.

your really just showing me your argument has no more validity then mine or others or atleast your doing a very very poor job of explaining it

Nah, I just think most of you don't want to hear it. I am glad to hear that at least you're starting to see the lack of validity (and therefore the validity) in both sides. 

If you want to have the opinion that we should keep revis great but dont act like your opinion is higher up than others because your reasoning is really flawed and based on over characterizations and the twisting of words.

Pretty much where we all are on different sides. Revis isn't an impact player + we haven't won a SB with him therefore we can't win a SB with him isn't going to appeal to everyone either. 

Not to mention he also jam packs every argument he disagrees with together and then acts as though anyone who disagrees with him on one topic must automatically agree with all of those other points, which is pretty much never true.  Plus, he then dictates the reasons why he claims everyone who disagrees with him supposedly has the opinions they do, which are also typically wrong for at least a significant portion of posters.

Point being, there are plenty of people out there who think the Jets should trade Revis but shouldn't draft a OL in the first and vice versa.  So even if you ignore the rest of his agenda-pushing, it still proves little to nothing.

Nah, I just think most of you don't want to hear it. I am glad to hear that at least you're starting to see the lack of validity (and therefore the validity) in both sides. 

Pretty much where we all are on different sides. Revis isn't an impact player + we haven't won a SB with him therefore we can't win a SB with him isn't going to appeal to everyone either. 

Ill take it.

I believe the jets would be better off dumping revis for the 13 pick this year. You think they should keep revis. None of us are right or wrong yet we just gotta wait it out and see and hope the jets get back on track.

go yankees?

I believe the jets would be better off dumping revis for the 13 pick this year. You think they should keep revis.  

the 13 pick would be something of value. I am against trading Revis but that's a fairly high pick and wouldn't be completely shameful.

What irks me is when these master negotiators post "take the 2nd or he walks... FOR NOTHING!!! OMG"

idzik hasn't traded anyone

revis is welcome to stay at #1 DB money I would imagine

if he wants QB money, he can go ef himself

it'sa really very simple

to get and hold a QB that can win playoff games, we can't have a 16 million dollar corner that teams can just throw away from

maybe I should just make that my sig I seem to post it 3 times a day, lol

Tanny gets alot of crap but that first move was golden. Brick has been great. Mangold was actually an upgrade on Mawae (or as close as you can find for a 8x Pro Bowler). 

If all of Tanny's moves were as good as that 2006 1st round, he'd still be the GM. 

where Idzik needs to be different is when it comes time to pick the next franchise QB. 

Not to mention he also jam packs every argument he disagrees with together and then acts as though anyone who disagrees with him on one topic must automatically agree with all of those other points, which is pretty much never true.  Plus, he then dictates the reasons why he claims everyone who disagrees with him supposedly has the opinions they do, which are also typically wrong for at least a significant portion of posters.

Point being, there are plenty of people out there who think the Jets should trade Revis but shouldn't draft a OL in the first and vice versa.  So even if you ignore the rest of his agenda-pushing, it still proves little to nothing.

The only thing an exchange with Gato actually proves is that cocaine is a helluva drug.

Ill take it.

I believe the jets would be better off dumping revis for the 13 pick this year. You think they should keep revis. None of us are right or wrong yet we just gotta wait it out and see and hope the jets get back on track.

go yankees?

Well to be fair...I'm right...I'm just willing to let you entertain that I'm not because there's a month until the draft and 6 months until the season. Gotta talk about something! 

revis is welcome to stay at #1 DB money I would imagine

if he wants QB money, he can go ef himself

it'sa really very simple

This I agree with. I also think it can simply be said that the only people who have stated anything about QB money are JN psoters kinda sorta working off of the NY Post's poorly sourced numbers, and even then only loosely. 

We all basically agree on that, it just so happens that some took their conditioning to believe that players like Revis are the greedy ones for daring cause a scene.  more seriously than others. 

Well to be fair...I'm right...I'm just willing to let you entertain that I'm not because there's a month until the draft and 6 months until the season. Gotta talk about something! 

This I agree with. I also think it can simply be said that the only people who have stated anything about QB money are JN psoters kinda sorta working off of the NY Post's poorly sourced numbers, and even then only loosely. 

We all basically agree on that, it just so happens that some took their conditioning to believe that players like Revis are the greedy ones for daring cause a scene.  more seriously than others. 

well ull probably never know if your right because revis is gonna be traded!

We have two choices.

1. Keep Revis this year and:

A. Pay him $16 mil next year and onwards or

B. Lose him for a 3rd round comp pick

2. Trade Revis for atleast a 1st and a 2nd

Case for keeping Revis:

He's the best defender on the team and possibly the league.

He'll shutdown WRs.

Case for not keeping Revis:

His asking price can get us about 3 really good starters, something the Jets need right now.

If we keep him, we will lose the bidding war next year and then only get a 3rd rounder

Jets are not a team that is one player away from SB this year so why keep him now and lose him next year?

He'll hold out again.

We are rebuilding.

We can get two excellent draft picks in his return, plus we'll save the $16mil he'll be making next year towards other FAs.

We didn't have him last year. Our Pass D was still one of the best.

Right off the bat to compare Vilma to Revis is a joke.  You could argue all day that Mangini should have used a defense that suited the rosters talent which I can't argue with but he didn't and Vilma in the 3-4 is like Vlad playing anywhere on the offensive line...scary.  Vilma was like a welcome mat in the 3-4 with no protection he wasn't big enough to get the job done.  Revis is also on another level talent wise, its really a bad comparison.

The reason why we sucked had nothing for all those years had little to do with Vilma, just like the reason the Jets will suck with or without Revis this year.  Its all on Tanny and Rex, half of the problems are gone now and next year the other half will be shown the door.

Tannenbaum got alot of love for staying away from expensive FAs, cutting aging and expensive vets, trading his best defensive player, and taking the safest player in the top 10.  

pace. favre. Faneca. T-rich. B. Scott. S. Holmes. B. Edwards . Tomlinson . Jenkins. D. Woody. The Marlboro man. Lito shepherd . Jason Taylor. The list of aging and/or expensive vets signed by tanny is epic. Throw in the picks he pissed away to boot and you have the anti-idzik regardless of whether or not they trade revis or draft a lineman.

Archived