Greg Cosell vid breaking down Geno, Nassib, Glennon. Good stuff.

T0mShane

What round does Glennon go?

There's so much BS being floated right now, but it's hard to believe that in a league that saw teams clawing each other for the right to draft Jake Locker and Christian Ponder in the first round, that guys like Geno, Nassib, and even Barkley aren't over-drafted. I could easily see these guys that are currently getting killed by rumors getting drafted in the second, third rounds--Wilson, Glennon, Dysert, etc.

There's so much BS being floated right now, but it's hard to believe that in a league that saw teams clawing each other for the right to draft Jake Locker and Christian Ponder in the first round, that guys like Geno, Nassib, and even Barkley aren't over-drafted. I could easily see these guys that are currently getting killed by rumors getting drafted in the second, third rounds--Wilson, Glennon, Dysert, etc.

the crucial difference is that guys like Locker and Ponder had great Senior Bowl weeks and teams fell in love. Cutler, Flacco same story. Meanwhile Geno skipped it, Nassib had a meh week and Barkley was hurt. the value at Qb is in rd 2/3.

the crucial difference is that guys like Locker and Ponder had great Senior Bowl weeks and teams fell in love. Cutler, Flacco same story. Meanwhile Geno skipped it, Nassib had a meh week and Barkley was hurt. the value at Qb is in rd 2/3.

Any team that ranks their draft order based on an All Star game deserves what they get. Locker was the projected first overall pick going into his last year at UW. Ponder rose up draft boards, but was always considered a first-second rounder prior to the Senior Bowl. I'm sure it's a helpful tool if GMs are looking for a fourth round back, but I can't believe that any team with a functioning scouting department changes their board based on that week of practice.

Any team that ranks their draft order based on an All Star game deserves what they get. Locker was the projected first overall pick going into his last year at UW. Ponder rose up draft boards, but was always considered a first-second rounder prior to the Senior Bowl. I'm sure it's a helpful tool if GMs are looking for a fourth round back, but I can't believe that any team with a functioning scouting department changes their board based on that week of practice.

+100

Meh, every year QB's get over drafted.  Dont see why this season will be any different. 

I can't believe that any team with a functioning scouting department changes their board based on that week of practice.

What's the alternative look at the tape and wonder why geno Smith sucked vs Syracuse? Or the Pro day when Jamarcus Russell looked like Johnny Unitas? 

Senior Bowl is a live job interview with other future pro's. There's also tons of interviews after hours. A player can endear himself to scouts and coaches who make the effort to go to Mobile. If you say Locker went high so should Geno that's ignoring the hard work these guys put in when they play in the Senior Bowl.  If Locker and Ponder skipped the Senior Bowl they don't go as high, i firmly believe that.

Every time I see Glennon, it looks like his head is the size of a fist.  I don't know too many smart people who wear their baseball caps on the first notch.

Considering what happened to Barry Bonds' hat size, you might be penalizing somebody for not taking steroids.  :biggrin:

What's the alternative look at the tape and wonder why geno Smith sucked vs Syracuse? Or the Pro day when Jamarcus Russell looked like Johnny Unitas? 

Senior Bowl is a live job interview with other future pro's. There's also tons of interviews after hours. A player can endear himself to scouts and coaches who make the effort to go to Mobile. If you say Locker went high so should Geno that's ignoring the hard work these guys put in when they play in the Senior Bowl.  If Locker and Ponder skipped the Senior Bowl they don't go as high, i firmly believe that.

This is why it's all a crap shoot and the 'theory of using analytics' and the theory of scouts and Front offices actually knowing what they are doing is kind of a joke.  If they throw everything out the window because of some fake practice and fake week and some stats based off of a QB throwing against nothing, it's why most of the choices wind up being more about luck than skill.     I mean you have guys like Gholston who looked like Mr Olympia working out, but then wound up being a guy who couldn't even be a backup in the NFL.  

If scouts and front offices actually used more analytics, used more common sense, and didn't fall in love because of some practice week or because of some 40 yard dash or weight training, there would be less Gholson's.   Instead there always seem to be these guys who might do well, might not, that teams fall in love with for some stupid reason that has nothing to do with actually being able to play football on sundays.  Sometimes teams get lucky. Many times teams fail miserably but if it's not a QB, nobody cares.  I mean Gholston should be considered one of the biggest busts.   The guy was drafted #6.   People bash Sanchez for sucking, at least the guy played and started for 4 seasons.     Instead Gholston is all but forgotten and nobody outside of Jetsnation or buckeye nation ever heard of the guy.

Nice breakdown of Nassib's terrible deep throws in this video. 

He seemed to like Nassib a lot. I got the impression he thought his long ball was correctable, but that his midrange accuracy -his anticipation throws- were the best in this class.

Any of these guys could wind up being stars.   They all could wind up being a bust.  Taking a QB this year at #9 or even #13 or lower is a bad idea.  These kids aren't RG3. They aren't Andrew Luck.  Years ago Leinart was thought to be a for sure NFL QB.   None of these kids are even close to that.     Of course if some team like the Broncos take a Geno Smith at #28 or whatever and in a few years after Manning retires he's a star people will complain "see I told you he'd be good" not ever including the fact he was drafted by the right organization at the right time.    

He seemed to like Nassib a lot. I got the impression he thought his long ball was correctable, but that his midrange accuracy -his anticipation throws- were the best in this class.

I wasn't sold on this guy, but after watching some clips, running some number,  I wouldn't mind the Jets taking him in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I wouldn't want them to take him at #9.

There is a huge difference between taking him at #9 and in the 2nd round.   Kellen Clemens was here today, gone tomorrow, barely ever cared to be given a chance.   Sanchez has been the starter since day 1 and has never really shown that he is a legit NFL starting QB.  And he's gotten far worse the past 2 years.  And yet its year 5 and he's probably going to be the starter again.     Nobody gives some second round QB five years to fail.   But draft some kid at #9,  suddenly you give them as long as possible.     Hell, look at Alex Smith.  He sucked longer than Sanchez.   If he weren't some #1 pick, he'd be out of the NFL by now.

I'm not a huge Nassib fan. Every tape you see of him against better competition is chock-full of double-pump dump-offs. It seems like people like Cosell are working really hard to find reasons to like him.

I can't get past one review I read that compared him to Kellen Clemens.  It is all I think about when I see clips of him.

I'm not a huge Nassib fan. Every tape you see of him against better competition is chock-full of double-pump dump-offs. It seems like people like Cosell are working really hard to find reasons to like him.

I don't understand why you think Cosell and others are forcing nassib. They like him. Did you listen to the beginning when he described in detail what he looks for in a qb? It's not 90 yard td passes to open wr like the average fan judges on.

I don't understand why you think Cosell and others are forcing nassib. They like him. Did you listen to the beginning when he described in detail what he looks for in a qb? It's not 90 yard td passes to open wr like the average fan judges on.

I think it's last call at the bar and Cosell is looking around at scraps like Nassib and Manuel trying to come up with reasons that they're ****able, even though they're fat chicks.

Archived