What would Villain do during the draft?

Villain The Foe

After giving it some thought and seeing the guys that are available this year this is what Villain would do for this years NFL draft. This is with the thought that we've traded Revis to TB for the 13th pick.

Rd. 1

#9 Geno Smith QB WVU

#13 Tavon Austin WR WVU

Rd. 2

#39 Stedman Bailey WR WVU

I would basically draft WVU's offense. The more I look at Geno the more he looks like the real deal. People pick on Geno given that 5 game losing streak this past season but what they dont say is that 3 of those 5 games the WVU offense put up 38, 34 and 49 points. The other two games they put up 14pts. Its rarely mentioned how their defense was being ran through the entire season.

From the looks of it Geno will fall to us. Every team outside of Philly drafting before us has their QB pretty much in place and I dont believe that the Eagles will draft Smith. I would draft him, provide the weapons that he's been around for the last 3 seasons and allow Mornhinweg to utilize that new talent along with the current talent we have on the roster.

Tavon and Stedman are beasts as well. I'd keep the trio together and win a few superbowls before its said and done.

The motto is "concede defeat, hope it leads to.victory." I don't have it in Latin THO, but it's very ancient.

I don't think Bailey goes that high but I do think he can be a Cotchery-esque player.

You never get the girl that way.

Cotchery-esque, does Blackout agree?

How drunk were you when you posted this?

I only drink on non-work days (usually). Besides, whats wrong with this picture? Would it be a problem if each kid went to a different school? Is it where they were drafted? I dont understand the question. I look at tape and I see 3 guys that are beast.

I only drink on non-work days (usually). Besides, whats wrong with this picture? Would it be a problem if each kid went to a different school? Is it where they were drafted? I dont understand the question. I look at tape and I see 3 guys that are beast.

Tell me the last great players to come out of West Virginia. It's the players, it's the school, it's the position they're drafted. It's everything. This makes no sense at all. WVU didn't run a WCO, which what the Jets are supposedly running.

I don't like Geno, I think he'll be okay but nothing better than a backup. I don't like Austin for this team and I don't think they should take 2 WRs in the first three rounds. They have needs at OG, TE, S, OLB and other positions. You can't neglect the offensive line with Geno "Happy Feet" in the pocket or he'll have a mental breakdown. We already have a highly drafted QB with terrible pocket presence.

Just not a fan of this at all.

Tell me the last great players to come out of West Virginia. It's the players, it's the school, it's the position they're drafted. It's everything. This makes no sense at all. WVU didn't run a WCO, which what the Jets are supposedly running.

I don't like Geno, I think he'll be okay but nothing better than a backup. I don't like Austin for this team and I don't think they should take 2 WRs in the first three rounds. They have needs at OG, TE, S, OLB and other positions. You can't neglect the offensive line with Geno "Happy Feet" in the pocket or he'll have a mental breakdown. We already have a highly drafted QB with terrible pocket presence.

Just not a fan of this at all.

Many players are drafted by teams that ran a different form of offense. And Marty runs a hybrid style offense that like any new player to the system would have to learn. I dont understand that statement. What I do understand is that you dont like Geno Smith which makes plenty of sense now going back and reading your original statement.

I can respect that, I just feel like what I've seen from Geno is the type of stuff that I havent seen a QB in a Jets jersey do, but seen alot of good QB's in the league do.

As for needs, the Jets are not going to hit on every pick so some needs will be dealt with during the draft and the rest via free agency. The Jets will have 5 more picks in the draft after those initial 3 and the draft seems to be deep with mid round safeties and RB's which we also need.

My point is that all im hearing is that I dont like these players because I dont like these players and the school they come from, which I can understand. I would rarely draft a player from Duke U if i was a basketball coach. The point is though that sometimes that rare occasion comes around and I think all the guys are beasts in their own right.

I'd draft all three, keep them together and then have that "drink" as I celebrate.

I'd draft all three, keep them together and then have that "drink" as I celebrate.

And then in 4 years when the jets are searching for a new QB, you'd be searching for a new job remembering that "victory" Smirnoff ice you have back in 2013 while offering OTPHJs for quarters outside Florham Park.

And then in 4 years when the jets are searching for a new QB, you'd be searching for a new job remembering that "victory" Smirnoff ice you have back in 2013 while offering OTPHJs for quarters outside Florham Park.

Well, I'd have 4 years to enjoy a bunch of smirnoff with the possibility of me being right while you're wishing for 4 years that im wrong in order to "hate" for another 4 years. Typical. 

It would take balls to make such a decision....I know. 

Well, I'd have 4 years to enjoy a bunch of smirnoff with the possibility of me being right while you're wishing for 4 years that im wrong in order to "hate" for another 4 years. Typical.

It would take balls to make such a decision....I know.

Balls? Yes. Brains? No. If the jets actually did that, I would hate it but I would still hope for the best and support the team. I didn't want Sanchez and was vocal about it. I supported him and the team anyway.

Let me start over. 

Your feelings seem to have been on point about sanchez. I personally like Sanchez and wouldnt mind him being the starter again this year because I've always felt that it was a lack of coaching that hurt him the most and I think the Jets have a top 5 OC in the league in Marty. However, if Geno is there at 9 you take him because of the throws that he can make and for the fact that this is a QB league and the possibility of adding more talent to that position will only benefit what we currently have. To say that it is solely balls to draft Geno, who can make every throw in tight spaces, or Tavon who I have yet to see the "first man" tackle this guy on tape or Bailey who's 40 time means nothing when every time the ball is thrown his way he's always found a way behind the defense and has very reliable hands means to me that the only hate on these three guys is the fact that they've all went to the same school. 

I'd love to know why this is a brain dead situation. You dont like Geno, well...elaborate on that because your feelings dont change what I've been seeing. And thats from the perspective of a person who never even considered drafting this guy in the first place. He's convinced me. Sanchez couldnt put up points with a great defense on the otherside, well Geno won most of his games with his defense giving up over 32pts per game, and outside of that stat just look at the type of throws that he's made. The media has hated on this QB class and 10 years from now we'll hear how they "knew it all along" if this guy becomes one of the great ones. You heard the same sh*t about Newton until the end of his first year then all of a sudden people loved him. 

Why don't I like Geno? Inaccurate downfield passer as compared to others in the draft, the Syracuse game (weather), happy feet in the pocket (worse than Sanchez), and he's the "best" of a bad crop. Just not someone I see being successful as a starting QB.

Please show me some footage because the footage that im seeing shows much different. Now I understand that not every snap is put in highlight reels but you certainly find entire offensive snaps of college football games online and thats not what im seeing whatsoever. Seems like again, people are cherry picking

Please show me some footage because the footage that im seeing shows much different. Now I understand that not every snap is put in highlight reels but you certainly find entire offensive snaps of college football games online and thats not what im seeing whatsoever. Seems like again, people are cherry picking

From this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21954/should-the-jets-pick-geno-smith

ESPN Stats & Information has furnished some "Next Level" stats on the top eight prospects -- Smith, Matt Barkley (USC), EJ Manuel (Florida State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse), Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Mike Glennon (North Carolina State), Tyler Bray (Tennessee) and Landry Jones (Oklahoma). The numbers lend some credence to Nawrocki's evaluation of Smith. Consider some of these 2012 stats:

• On throws of 20-plus yards downfield, Smith completed only 37.3 percent, sixth among the eight passers. Manuel led the way with a 49.2-percent mark.

So, do I have game tape to show you? No. I watched the WVU/Cuse game and he was terrible.  That's not enough to say anything, but the fact that the top teams with needs at QB recently acquired, Kolb, FLynn, Palmer, etc. tells me all I need to know about the "top QB" in this draft.

From this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21954/should-the-jets-pick-geno-smith

ESPN Stats & Information has furnished some "Next Level" stats on the top eight prospects -- Smith, Matt Barkley (USC), EJ Manuel (Florida State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse), Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Mike Glennon (North Carolina State), Tyler Bray (Tennessee) and Landry Jones (Oklahoma). The numbers lend some credence to Nawrocki's evaluation of Smith. Consider some of these 2012 stats:

• On throws of 20-plus yards downfield, Smith completed only 37.3 percent, sixth among the eight passers. Manuel led the way with a 49.2-percent mark.

So, do I have game tape to show you? No. I watched the WVU/Cuse game and he was terrible.  That's not enough to say anything, but the fact that the top teams with needs at QB recently acquired, Kolb, FLynn, Palmer, etc. tells me all I need to know about the "top QB" in this draft.

Numbers are quite vague given that we dont know how many times he actually threw down field, which given the way WVU's defense was getting lit up week in and week out I'd assume that it was more often than not. If you match that with his TD/INT ratio along with his overall 72% completion rate I'd give him a pardon for the sub 40% completion rate downfield given that many teams knew that he would have to take shots just to keep up on the scoreboard. 

So no, you dont have footage. What you have is someone elses opinion that you agree with. Cool. 

Numbers are quite vague given that we dont know how many times he actually threw down field, which given the way WVU's defense was getting lit up week in and week out I'd assume that it was more often than not. If you match that with his TD/INT ratio along with his overall 72% completion rate I'd give him a pardon for the sub 40% completion rate downfield given that many teams knew that he would have to take shots just to keep up on the scoreboard. 

So no, you dont have footage. What you have is someone elses opinion that you agree with. Cool. 

Why would I watch and dig up footage of someone I have no interest in having this team draft at all? I have my own opinion that is based in stats and watching the few games of WVU that I did. I saw a guy get flustered when anyone came close to him, I saw a guy basically give up against Syracuse, and I see a guy who would struggle in a traditional NFL offense.  You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine.  Cool.

CrazyCarl40, on 05 Apr 2013 - 19:27, said:

Why would I watch and dig up footage of someone I have no interest in having this team draft at all? I have my own opinion that is based in stats and watching the few games of WVU that I did. I saw a guy get flustered when anyone came close to him, I saw a guy basically give up against Syracuse, and I see a guy who would struggle in a traditional NFL offense. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine. Cool.

I had no interest in him until I looked at him. You have no interest in him yet spent your entire time in this thread trying to convince me why its brain dead to draft him.  You wont dig up footage because that footage could possibly show that your negative stance is based on the fact that you "havent seen the footage" and are simply comfortable with the negative spin on this kid and a game where they lost and not his entire collegiate career. Thats cool and I totally understand. You got the point across. I'd like to hear someone elses view on it now. Maybe someone who's actually found interest in watching footage of a guy who will most likely fall to us. 

Cool.

Or, again, you can read the tea leaves of what the teams in front of us have done. Or you could read the experts who say he may not even be the best QB in the draft when it's all said and done. You could do that.

I could, or I could look at footage to see for myself. I could read the tea leaves of the teams in front of us, or I could read into how some of these teams havent been to the playoffs in over a decade, or another betting the house on Carson Palmer (lol) and finally one who just a few years ago put together "the dream team" that included two guys in Geno's position that killed dogs for fun and the other possibly tried to commit suicide. Not mention that this collection of "sure" talent got them a TV to watch the playoffs on and high draft picks.

In otherwords, I wouldnt make a cup of tea with those tea leaves. I'd prefer to enjoy that Smirnoff.

Geno Smith is a good prospect, he's not a great prospect. In other years, he'd be the 3rd guy who goes late in rd 1 like Jason Campbell. 

You know his strengths, these are his weaknesses: 

-bad pocket presence, he's fumbled something ridiculous like 30 times in his career.  Took 2 safeties in the Syracuse bowl game (who does that? besides Mark). 

-real good speed but average height, average arm and average strength. If you saw Geno Smith in real life there's nothing that makes you go "wow" (compared to when Cam Newton, Big Ben or Joe Flacco walk in the room and you are presented with a giant). 

-comes from a texas tech type of one read system. He is a product of the same philosophies that made Cliff Kingsbury a productive college player. 

-misses open men/waits too long to throw on occasion. Mayock has done a real good job of showing his weaknesses on tape. Pete Prisco actually wrote a very detailed article based on film study. 

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/21965093/geno-smith-has-potential-but-not-the-overall-game-to-be-a-top-10-pick

-Skipped the Senior Bowl, despite having alot to prove.  It reminds me of Brady quinn, a player who listened to his agents and the media hype when the league wanted to see him actually play football in a pro setting. Working out at the combine he was good not great in drills. 

-Andy Reid passed on him. This is my biggest knock on the guy. if Reid doesn't want him and would rather have Alex Smith instead, who knows more about drafting QB's than this guy? Seriously, he drafted McNabb, Kolb and Foles, all starter quality or better. Why should the Jets take a guy that 8 teams passed on (and 7 of those teams are desperate at QB)? 

all this being said I don't hate geno Smith. Just question his value in the top 10. Take him in the 20's or early rd 2 sure that's where a player like him should go.

I don't think he's a guy who can beat out anyone year 1. Mark Sanchez would beat out Geno Smith. He'd have to be given the job like how Mark was given the job. Year 3 or 4 maybe he's amazing after sitting and learning (like Aaron Rodgers) but a top 10 pick won't be able to sit and learn. 

Geno Smith is a better prospect than Jason Campbell was.

His big breakthrough will.come.when someone.compares him to a white QB, I think.

Mark Sanchez COULD beat out Smith sure. Anything is possible to.some.degree, right? That would be a good thing.

Geno Smith is a better prospect than Jason Campbell was.

His big breakthrough will.come.when someone.compares him to a white QB, I think.

Mark Sanchez COULD beat out Smith sure. Anything is possible to.some.degree, right? That would be a good thing.

been comparing him to Brady Quinn and a less-likely-to-run Colt McCoy.  

Because comparing Smith to a QB from a sh%t program that hasn't produced a viable QB since Steve Beurlein and another soft QB with a noodle arm makes sense how?

Brady Quinn cause he skipped the Senior Bowl and his agents say he's going really high, Colt because he has great accuracy stats and system production. 

by the way the best WVU QB since Geno is Pat White? Marc Bulger in 2000's 6th round. Major Harris? Jeff Hoffstetler in the 1980's is the best but it's not really a historic place to get QBs.  

-bad pocket presence, he's fumbled something ridiculous like 30 times in his career. Took 2 safeties in the Syracuse bowl game (who does that? besides Mark).

During the alleged collapse at the end of his senior year, Smith averaged 70% completions, 285 yards, threw 11 TDs and 3 picks in his last four games. The reason it looked awful was because he routinely put up 400 ypg prior.

-real good speed but average height, average arm and average strength. If you saw Geno Smith in real life there's nothing that makes you go "wow" (compared to when Cam Newton, Big Ben or Joe Flacco walk in the room and you are presented with a giant).

Aaron Rodgers looks like an accountant up close. Eli Manning has the body of an IT consultant. Literally no one is saying the Smith has an "average" arm.

-comes from a texas tech type of one read system. He is a product of the same philosophies that made Cliff Kingsbury a productive college player.

Aaron Rodgers dropped almost exclusively because he came from the same coach and system that produced Kyle Boller.

-misses open men/waits too long to throw on occasion. Mayock has done a real good job of showing his weaknesses on tape. Pete Prisco actually wrote a very detailed article based on film study.

Pete Prisco thinks everything sucks.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/21965093/geno-smith-has-potential-but-not-the-overall-game-to-be-a-top-10-pick

-Skipped the Senior Bowl, despite having alot to prove. It reminds me of Brady quinn, a player who listened to his agents and the media hype when the league wanted to see him actually play football in a pro setting. Working out at the combine he was good not great in drills.

The Senior Bowl is where you find that 4th round corner who played at Tennessee-Chattanooga. Top ten QBs don't play in the senior Bowl. Andrew Luck and RGIII didn't play in the Senior Bowl. Kirk Cousins and Kellen Moore play in the Senior Bowl.

-Andy Reid passed on him. This is my biggest knock on the guy. if Reid doesn't want him and would rather have Alex Smith instead, who knows more about drafting QB's than this guy? Seriously, he drafted McNabb, Kolb and Foles, all starter quality or better. Why should the Jets take a guy that 8 teams passed on (and 7 of those teams are desperate at QB)?

Dude...Kevin Kolb and Nick Foles.

Aaron Rodgers looks like an accountant up close. Eli Manning has the body of an IT consultant. Literally no one is saying the Smith has an "average" arm.

Aaron Rodgers dropped almost exclusively because he came from the same coach and system that produced Kyle Boller.

if geno smith sits for 3 years before playing he can be Aaron rodgers. If he starts right away he's Mark Sanchez. 

:rl: Words to live by, especially the "usually" part.  Here's hoping you find work soon.

Archived