Jets get pass rushers mock..

SenorGato

Jets trade Revis to the Bucks for 13.

Jets trade 9 to the Chargers for 11, their 4th, and their 5th.

1. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB

1: Jamie Collins DE/OLB Southern Miss - Both of these guys have great speed for the position and frames to grow into the position well.

2: Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA - Solid and versatile RB prospect.

3: Vance McDonald TE Rice - Seems tough and he's versatile.

4: TJ McDonald S USC - Polished safety who hopefully is basically plug and play.

4: Denard Robinson WR/UT Michigan - Also versatile and with good upside and skill as a WR.

5: Sean Renfree QB

5: Chris Faulk OL LSU - Falls due to injury but a top 2 round type talent.

6: Brodrick Brown CB OkSU - Slot CB since the dummies went ahead and traded Revis here.

7: Brennan Williams OT UNC - Another massive athlete for the OL that would have gone higher if not for injury.

Why are the Chargers trading up? And I'd be surprised if they manage to get a 4 and a 5 to drop 2 spots.

Think you're overhyping Collins. Maybe he's a surprise late first rounder, but I'd say not worth 13 (which I'd be surprised if the Jets get anyway) and frankly wouldn't be surprised if he's there in the third. Good workout numbers and stats but not special enough when you watch the games that I think he'll go that high.

Not sure RB is going to be prioritized this draft. Think they really like Goodson and go with him/Powell for a rebuilding year. Since RB's are a pretty plug and play position, don't see the rush to draft one early. Maybe pluck a value early day 3 if someone drops to throw into the mix.

McDonald (TJ) is really a pure box safety. Not that it isn't a need or they don't use them, but a cover/centerfield type safety is the bigger question mark right now IMO. That's the spot that's harder to find.

Where's the guard? Faulk is kind of tall to kick inside and has the injury issues you mentioned.

Its like when we drafted Ellis and Abraham in the first round! And we had 4 picks then. And yet we did not win anything after that.

Given the needs of this team i am hoping against hope that the JETS trade down and accumulate some 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and next years draft.

I like Robinson a lot at WR, but there is depth there. Aaron Mellette or Dobson are two I like. As an expert I think he is.more.polished at WR than he might get credit for.

Collins in the early mid first is.pretty wild I would say. I heard it here folks! No but his combine.numbers do.give him the shot at flying up. I don't think theres a shot hes around in the third

Collins in the early mid first is.pretty wild I would say. I heard it here folks! No but his combine.numbers do.give him the shot at flying up. I don't think theres a shot hes around in the third

Yeah, the numbers are great. Depending on how the board fell, I'd probably take BPA skill position guy at 9 (or 11, or whatever) and hope that Collins is still there at 39.

I don't think anyone expected Jarron Gilbert to end up in the third a few years ago, and he had a hell of a lot more buzz than Collins does. Productive with workout numbers, too. Mid-first is bold, but just seems unrealistic.

Williams looks like a tackle all the way to me. Long, quick feet, not particularly stout. Faulk's pretty tall too. Think both would have leverage issues playing inside. Wouldn't be comfortable with either one playing guard against NFL DT's as a rookie, and it's that or Ducasse. Why draft two big tackles with injury issues instead of a tackle and a guard?

Not all safeties carry the box label either, and those who do usually do for a reason. Lots of safeties get the label though, because they don't cover particularly well and it's easier to find a box safety than it is a cover guy. Which is why they're not prioritized as much in the draft. McDonald was very effective against Stanford, and nearly in the box on every single play. You'd think if he was good in coverage they'd want him to handle Ertz, who had a big game, or even Toilolo. But they had him blitzing and playing underneath like a linebacker. Against Cal he's not in the box as much, but probably more than half the plays. Solid player, fills a role, but a similar one to Antonio Allen who they drafted last year. I'd be fine with them drafting him because he seems like a good player who fits, going back to Idzik's Seattle days he could be a bit like Kam Chancellor, but if they do I think they need to get somebody who's more comfortable playing farther from the line of scrimmage also. Bush seems like a sub package player, don't think he starts this year, and somebody needs to be able to a bit deeper. Don't think that guy's on the roster, whereas someone like Allen I'd be alright with playing in the box.

I don't think anyone expected Jarron Gilbert to end up in the third a few years ago, and he had a hell of a lot more buzz than Collins does.

Yeah, that's not proof Collins is going to plummet so much as it's proof that the internet is pretty dumb. Gilbert got his buzz by jumping out of  pool. 

The height thing on the OL guys is fine. The only super tall elite G I can think of is Steinbach, a former tackle like the other two. 

Not all safeties carry the box label either, and those who do usually do for a reason.

The ones who don't carry the label often carry it because they aren't seen as physical enough to be true safeties in the NFL. You get a guy like Josh Bush, who will see more time as a S/CB hybrid until he's big enough to become a starting safety. 

I can not think of a single cover safety in the league that is a starter...the closest is Byrd. Landry carried the same dumb "box safety" label coming into here as well, and as we found out that label covers nothing and has long been handed a negative connotation. It doesn't carry the same meaning to me. 

You'd think if he was good in coverage they'd want him to handle Ertz, who had a big game, or even Toilolo

Why would I think that? There isn't a safety in the NFL who takes on TEs one on one consistently. That player does not exist in the NFL. I would take McDonald over whatshisname...Allen. 

Yeah, that's not proof Collins is going to plummet so much as it's proof that the internet is pretty dumb. Gilbert got his buzz by jumping out of  pool. 

The height thing on the OL guys is fine. The only super tall elite G I can think of is Steinbach, a former tackle like the other two. 

The ones who don't carry the label often carry it because they aren't seen as physical enough to be true safeties in the NFL. You get a guy like Josh Bush, who will see more time as a S/CB hybrid until he's big enough to become a starting safety. 

I can not think of a single cover safety in the league that is a starter...the closest is Byrd. Landry carried the same dumb "box safety" label coming into here as well, and as we found out that label covers nothing and has long been handed a negative connotation. It doesn't carry the same meaning to me. 

Why would I think that? There isn't a safety in the NFL who takes on TEs one on one consistently. That player does not exist in the NFL. I would take McDonald over whatshisname...Allen. 

Seems like a bit of revisionist history on Gilbert to me because he slipped and hasn't been good in the NFL. He got well known publicly because of jumping out of a pool, but got popular with draft guys (and not just internet draft guys) because like Collins he was productive as a senior (9 sacks, despite being more of a jumbo end/interior DL prospect as opposed to an edge guy like Collins) and had good measurables (was 6'5 290ish and ran in the high 4.7-low 4.8 range which is pretty freaksih) like Collins but played in a smaller conference (again, like Collins). Different positions, but very similar prospect profiles. Gilbert was a popular late first round sleeper and slipped to the third. Collins right now is considered to be a round 2/3 guy by most, some think he could slide into the tail end of the first. Him going into the third isn't him plummetting, it's him going at the tail end of his anticipated draft range. Him going at 13, on the other hand, would be a ridiculously meteoric rise no one sees coming.

Yeah, often the CB/S guys don't carry the label. Center field types don't either. They're not as common, but again, that's why they're valued more. And again, doesn't have to be a cover safety to not be considered a box guy. Somebody who's more comfortable away from the line of scrimmage is all. I would not want McDonald covering a deep ball. Earl Thomas is another cover safety, though (and arguably one of the best in the league).

And who said anything about consistently covering the TE's? I can count on one hand the plays they even almost had him covering either of those guys. He was pretty much blitzing or playing in underneath zones all game long. And Ertz had a good game too. If he was a viable coverage option at least throw him in there every once in a while. If you're not going to have your safety cover tight ends at all, who's going to do that? A linebacker every play? I didn't say I preferred Allen either, but at least he's a somewhat viable option at the position. The Jets have nobody to operate as a deep safety when they want to run that or to play coverage at all right now. McDonald's use at USC (at least from what I've seen, feel free to point out somewhere he plays off the line of scrimmage more) doesn't indicate he's going to be able to help in either of those areas. He fits, but they'd still need somebody else who can consistently do more than essentially operate as another linebacker which is where McDonald seems to be at his best. 

Yeah, often the CB/S guys don't carry the label. Center field types don't either. They're not as common, but again, that's why they're valued more. And again, doesn't have to be a cover safety to not be considered a box guy. Somebody who's more comfortable away from the line of scrimmage is all. I would not want McDonald covering a deep ball. Earl Thomas is another cover safety, though (and arguably one of the best in the league).

Thomas and Byrd about covers the field in players not named Ed Reed. Maybe Antrel Rolle, but anyway I think McDonald is better in space than you give him credit for. There's plenty of games where USC gives McDonald deep coverage responsibilities and man responsibilities (Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, 2011, 2010) and the old knock on him was that he was less physical than most safeties. He's a better prospect than both Bush and Allen from last year.

they'd still need somebody else who can consistently do more than essentially operate as another linebacker which is where McDonald seems to be at his best. 

Ideally Bush becomes a starting FS, but if not then like you said those guys are hard to find. There isn't really one of them in this draft, maybe Vaccarro. McDonald's a very solid, well rounded safety prospect with the size and speed to be a very good NFL starter. I think he's one of those guys who gets hurt by being known for so long. What you're saying is that they would need another safety to compliment a safety like McDonald, when they need to replace two starters anyway. They have a pile of project safeties, but haven't signed any FAs that I can remember at the position, and McDonald has the type of experience that can make the transition to the NFL a little easier. 

Archived