***Official JN Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread***

HessStation

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So once again no help for Philip Rivers on the O-line (Cooper) or at WR (Patterson)?

Shane, that rascal, picked Patterson already. I have Cooper to the Giants at 19 as a C/G and believe I said I would be annoyed when it happened. Unless this board goes crazy on Gs I bet a good one in round 2.

Hess (or anyone) any chance of getting a list of players taken by position? It will help make it easier to see who's taken and not have double picks. Everyone can update it, it just needs to be started.

I would but I'm using my phone so it would take forever.

on the road but will try and create something tonight on computer

New from Rotoworld, with Projected trades thrown in:

April 9 Mock... With Trades

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

255.jpg

JOSH NORRIS MOCK DRAFTS

1. Kansas City Chiefs -- LT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

I prefer Fisher, and think the team could also look at Dion Jordan and Star Lotulelei, but the buzz appears to be around Joeckel. The left tackle had issues against Florida during the season opener, but he has solid technique to mirror edge rushers.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- QB Geno Smith, WVU

I could easily see this being Dion Jordan or a trade down to land Ezekiel Ansah, but with Jason la Canfora’s adamant article that Geno Smith will not make it out of the top three, this pick makes sense. The Jaguars are seemingly the only team with QB issues who failed to address the position during free agency.

3. Arizona Cardinals -- LT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan (trade with Raiders)

The Cardinals can’t afford to wait until pick No. 7, just in case the Eagles, Lions, or another team trade up to target the remaining two tackles. Fisher and Johnson are more proven commodities than many prospects in this class, so they should go off the board early.

4. Philadelphia Eagles -- NT Star Lotulelei, Utah

Because of their free agency spending, the Eagles do not have a critical need to fill, allowing them to go in a variety of directions with this pick. Lotulelei is an excellent nose tackle prospect but is not locked into that position and could help in a variety of ways along the front three.

5. NY Jets -- OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon (trade with Lions)

I could easily see Jordan being a top four pick, but if that is not the case he will not last much longer. The Jets would add more picks in the projected Darrelle Revis trade, and Jordan is worth trading up for. I prefer him at SLB behind a four man front, but the Jets use a variety of sets.

6. Miami Dolphins -- T Lane Johnson, Oklahoma (trade with Browns)

With their free agent additions (and loss of Jake Long in free agency), it makes too much sense for the Dolphins to solidify their left tackle spot. Fans of the team will argue about the multitude of needs, but Jonathan Martin is not the answer at one of the premier positions in the NFL.

7. Oakland Raiders -- DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida (trade with Cardinals)

If the Raiders stay at No. 3, Floyd is a very viable option. But a short trade down is a dream scenario. He can be a bit of a positional tweener at times, but Floyd has the tools to win by plowing through blockers or working around them due to athletic feet.

8. San Francisco 49ers -- WR Tavon Austin, WVU (trade with Bills)

The 49ers have the most picks of any team, with 13. Now, they could target a variety of prospects, but Austin is dynamite in the open field. Michael Crabtree frequently lined up in the slot, but Austin would create even more difficult matchups for any opposing defense.

9. Detroit Lions -- DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU (trade with Jets)

I really do think Ansah can succeed in a variety of different sets, but his most immediate impact could be as a rusher from the 9 or 7 alignment. His hands are strong on first contact, and blessed with outstanding closing speed, Ansah could be a pass rushing force on top of his dependable run defense.

10. Tennessee Titans -- G Chance Warmack, Alabama

Yes, the Titans signed Andy Levitre in free agency, but Warmack was the most consistently dominant draft-eligible player during the 2012 season. The positional value will be discussed, but teams might prioritize leaving this draft with a good player.

11. San Diego Chargers -- RT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

The Chargers need offensive line help, whether it is at left tackle, right tackle, or inside. True right tackles are rarely selected this early, but I think the NFL evaluates Fluker as a much better prospect than I do. I only hope they don’t try him on the left side.

12. Cleveland Browns -- CB Dee Milliner, Alabama (trade with Dolphins)

Another dream scenario. I’m not sure if the Browns would be able to recoup their missing second-round pick in this trade, but Milliner is an ideal fit.

13. NY Jets -- TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame (Revis trade)

With their second first-round pick (after a projected trade for Darrelle Revis), the Jets grab the top tight end in this class. Some even go as far to call Eifert the top skill position player, but I won’t go that far.

14. Pittsburgh Steelers -- OLB Cornellius Carradine, FSU (trade with Panthers)

Carradine’s pro day on April 20 is vital, but if teams believe the Seminole pass rusher is on the path to full health, he should be a top 15 selection. There are still some raw elements to his game, but Carradine is strong and explosive on the edge.

15. New Orleans Saints -- OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

The Saints need pass rushers and Mingo’s tools warrant the selection. He isn’t a finished product, but if set loose with his pass rushing line, Mingo has the athleticism and length to wreak havoc in the backfield.

16. St. Louis Rams -- S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Vaccaro is more than a typical safety, he matches up very well against a variety of offensive playmakers near the line of scrimmage. Turn on the tape against Tavon Austin or bigger receiving targets, and Vaccaro utilizes a nice blend of quickness and technique to mirror his opposition.

17. Carolina Panthers -- CB Xavier Rhodes, FSU (trade with Steelers)

The Panthers utilized a lot of off coverage in 2012. I think that can be blamed more on the lack of talent rather than scheme. Rhodes is a physical, in your face press corner who has a great frame to slow opposing receivers and ride in their hip downfield.

18. Dallas Cowboys -- G Jonathan Cooper, UNC

There has been some buzz noting that Cooper might be selected before Warmack. The UNC product failed during his attempt at center in college, but teams will love how agile he is in space. He lost weight in 2012, so I’m looking forward to seeing more strength when playing at a natural weight.

19. NY Giants -- DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

Richardson could instantly bring more interior pass rushing to the Giants. He could absolutely be picked before this, and if that is the case I think the Giants might target UCLA’s Datone Jones.

20. Chicago Bears -- CB Jamar Taylor, Boise State

Some will be surprised, but Taylor is an absolute stud. He’s going in the first-round, it is just a matter of how high. The Bronco has displayed positive play in a variety of coverages, but is at his best when disrupting at the catch point.

21. Cincinnati Bengals -- S Johnathan Cyprien, FIU

One of my favorite prospects in this class, Cyprien spent a large amount of time near the line of scrimmage but has enough range to be an interchangeable piece. Like Taylor, I truly think Cyprien will be selected in the first-round, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was earlier than this.

22. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) -- WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

There have been reports of Patterson struggling on the whiteboard. He certainly didn’t struggle on the green field in 2012, however. There are areas of improvement, but Patterson is dynamic with the ball in his hands.

23. Minnesota Vikings -- WR Keenan Allen, Cal

Allen will work through his own pro day this week, and teams are likely anticipating those results. He shows nice burst in and out of his routes while competing at the catch point. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Allen last until the second-round.

24. Indianapolis Colts -- OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

The Colts added young free agents to fill a lot of their immediate needs. However, I still think they need pass rushing help off the edge. Jones wins by anticipating the snap and using a great motor to chase. He might not have the length or athletic upside, but if Jones can maximize leverage he can improve his counter move.

25. Minnesota Vikings (from Seahawks) -- LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame

The Vikings don’t shy away from Notre Dame prospects, but they must decide if Te’o is more than a two down linebacker, and if not, where does his value rest? He is a solid run defender and would be a good, not great, option in the middle.

26. Green Bay Packers -- DL Jesse Williams, Alabama

The Packers are one of the more difficult teams to predict. If they want more of a pass rusher along the front three,Datone Jones is possible. Williams offers good athleticism and brute strength. He might not penetrate the backfield on every play, but he can occupy blocks and allow others to run free.

27. Houston Texans -- WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

Hopkins projects very similarly to Roddy White. He consistently high points passes and maneuvers his body in front of defenders with strong hands and underrated athleticism.

28. Denver Broncos -- LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State

The Broncos could use a pass rusher after losing Elvis Dumervil, but Brown is an instant upgrade at the inside linebacker spot. He’s excellent in coverage and offers a very physical style when attacking forward. Don’t get caught up in his size... I think he’ll remind John Fox of Jon Beason.

29. New England Patriots -- DL Datone Jones, UCLA

Jones can be a force on the edge while moving inside in pass rushing situations. He was caught hand fighting at the line of scrimmage too often at UCLA, but when asked to aggressively get upfield at the Senior Bowl, Jones was very difficult to stop.

30. Atlanta Falcons -- DE Bjoern Werner, FSU

Werner is a tough player to slot. Even though he went through outside linebacker drills at the Combine, I don’t see him projecting to that position other than a role of designated pass rusher. The Falcons like to incorporate multiple fronts, but Werner would improve a thin position.

31. Buffalo Bills -- QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse (trade with 49ers)

Even if the Bills do not trade back this far from pick No. 8, I do think they could trade back into the first-round to nab Nassib. The other possibility is E.J. Manuel. I don’t rank either at this spot among quarterbacks, but certainly understand NFL teams might.

32. Baltimore Ravens -- S Matt Elam, Florida

Ozzie Newsome values the middle section of his defense, so after losing both starting safeties from 2012, Elam could be targeted. He’s a bit shorter than ideal for an in the box defender, and Elam can be inconsistent on a play to play basis, but his highlight reel and 2011 tape are great.

Archived