Chris Ivory Visits, Jets Make Offer

I don't get how it's become almost a guarantee that the only guys Idzik seems to want are guys who can't stay healthy. Ever.  

And if they pay Ivory 2Mil per year, that's not cheap for an injury prone RB who has been a career backup in college and the pros.

What happens if he becomes a 1000 yard starting back, averaging 4.5+ ypc for only 2 million per, what will you say then?? Either this is someone Idzik knows his scouts in Seattle were very high on or maybe the scouts here in new york, either way they clearly believe they are making a worthwhile investment and not just going in it to blow money and a pick.  Despite common opinion, they're not doing this on a whim without vesting many a resource in it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't take you seriously with a username like that.

Rex: "Hey, Rob, keep it under your hat but, uhhhh, this Revis guy can really play. I'm only telling you this because you're my brother."

The "Rob Ryan connection"? LOL

He's been behind Ingram, Thomas, and Sproles the last couple years. How many of those injuries are legit and how many are they really don't need him so put him on IR?  

Value is a 4th round RB making less than 1 Million per year.  Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't.   Value isn't giving up a 4th round pick for a guy who has been injured his entire career and paying him 2 Million per year.  That's just a bad trade. Maybe you get lucky , maybe you don't, but it's still not good value.

Um the value is related to how good the player is, not "luck". Or is the 4th round and $1M the only place to get an RB. You can argue the value on Ivory, but that statement is a little stiff.

He's been behind Ingram, Thomas, and Sproles the last couple years. How many of those injuries are legit and how many are they really don't need him so put him on IR?  

Good point -- I like him.  He not only hits the hole hard, he looks like he's running somewhere -- with a sense of purpose and no quit drive -- as opposed to someone like McKnight, who is all-shake/no-bake.  

4th round pick for a RB ? I know this years draft is not the great on Top prospects at RB but giving up a 4th is huge. And RB's is one position where sometime you do find a 6th or 7th round pick turn into a legit starter which the "experts" have overlooked.

And if the objective is just to sign a  impact RB with injury issues why are they not approaching Ahmad Bradshaw ? I am not sure where he is healthwise but if he can play even 75% of the season its a deal worth making which may not cost as much since no one has signed him as yet

I would rather risk a 4th or 5th on Christine Michaels or Marcus Lattimore. Yes Ivory has talent, but like many people said he is injury prone. At most he is a stop gap player who might make us better this year. I'd rather pick up a bunch of young developmental players and semi tank this year, and hope we can draft a top QB in 2014. Also we'd be paying him 4 times the amount of a mid round back, and would have to resign him next year.

Ivory signing a one year, $2M tender doesn't necessarily mean that the Jets have to sign him to a longer term deal worth that much a year on average. They could rework that deal, convert some salary into bonus, and give him some attainable incentive clauses. In other words; pay him if he produces.

I would rather risk a 4th or 5th on Christine Michaels or Marcus Lattimore. Yes Ivory has talent, but like many people said he is injury prone.

You know who I really want? That guy who's foot I saw turned the wrong way around last year. The one who blew out his other knee the year before ending his season. What was the name of that guy?

How about the guy that broke his leg in 2010 and tore his ACL in 2011, is he going to be available? What was that guy's name? Susan? Charlene?

As for salary, see Slats post.

Edited by Gastineau Lives
  • Upvote 1

You know who I really want? That guy who's foot I saw turned the wrong way around last year. The one who blew out his other knee the year before ending his season. What was the name of that guy?

How about the guy that broke his leg in 2010 and tore his ACL in 2011, is he going to be available? What was that guy's name? Susan? Charlene?

As for salary, see Slats post.

Chris Ivory also has had quite a few injuries and has gone to the pup list. So the injury arguement is irrelevant. Like I said I'd rather use a late round pick on someone younger who will be locked up long term. I know Lattimore won't play this year, and I'm fine with that. I'd rather tank this year and hope we can grab one of the top QB's in next years draft.

If this visit is not in connection with the Revis trade, I will be livid. I couldn't even fathom trading a high second for Chris Ivory. He's a pretty good player, but lets not start this crap again with trading away picks. Keep the picks- get young, and get the cap right. The only way we should be making a move for a RB is in May, if we don't end up drafting a guy. Good values at RB are going to be available in rounds 3-5. I'd much rather draft Andre Ellington in the 4th round than spend a second on Ivory. Not to mention, we already have 3 guys, and I would assume this puts McKnight on the chopping block since we're not going to carry 4 RB on game day. McKnight isn't that horrible.

I'm having flashbacks to Justin McCareins.

i agree

I'd love Ivory to be part of a bundle of picks from the Saints for them to move up in R1. Send them our 9 or 13, take #15, Ivory and whatever else is needed to balance it out.

Golden.

I'd love Ivory to be part of a bundle of picks from the Saints for them to move up in R1. Send them our 9 or 13, take #15, Ivory and whatever else is needed to balance it out.

Golden.

I hope the Jets aren't giving up more than a fifth for Ivory, which really wouldn't come into play when it comes to moving up or down in the first round. If the Saints want to trade up on Thursday, they can do it independently of this move. 

I hope the Jets aren't giving up more than a fifth for Ivory, which really wouldn't come into play when it comes to moving up or down in the first round. If the Saints want to trade up on Thursday, they can do it independently of this move. 

yea its reported the jets only offered a fifth

Interesting to see what they'll give up for him and how he produces.  We still don't know much about Idzik other than he knows that generating headlines isn't the goal.  If this goes through we'll start to get more of a picture of him.

Agree

It was reported that the Jets offered a 6th for Ivory, It will probably go down as a 5th.  IMO that’s great value for Ivory.

I don’t see it as being a part of  of a larger move up trade.  Can’t really think who the Saints would want to move up to 9 for.  If it is, it won’t happen until the Jets are on the board, and actually I would like it, because I really don’t want to see the Jets surrender any picks in this draft.  If they do, I can't think of a better player in the 5th for the Jets then Ivory