Jets Not Likely to Draft Geno Smith

flgreen

Source: Jets not likely to draft Geno Smith

Geno Smith may not be a target for the Jets after all.
Credit: Getty Images

It appears Geno is a no-go for the Jets.

Speaking to Metro New York on the condition of anonymity, one source familiar with the Jets’ draft preparations said he would be “surprised and shocked” if the team selected West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith with the No. 9 overall pick. Smith, a Heisman candidate early last season, visited the Jets for two days last week during their predraft meetings with prospects.

“He isn’t as high on their board as some people might think,” the source told Metro. “If he fell to them at the right spot, say in the middle of the round, maybe he could be used by them then. But right now at No. 9, he doesn’t appear to currently be their top priority. That all could change as picks ahead of them go in different directions, but don’t look for Geno to be a Jet.”

Jets fans and draft prognosticators have gotten excited over Smith, in large part due to his gaudy numbers last year. During his senior season, Smith completed 71.2 percent of his passes for 4,205 yards with 42 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Related Articles Sanchez taking positive outlook on Jets upcoming season
Jets continue exploring rebuilding, trade options

But as prolific as those numbers were, the source said he isn’t the best fit for the Jets.

“Jets fans are excited because Geno Smith isn’t Mark Sanchez. So he automatically is better in their eyes. If the Jets had the Sanchez from 2010 or 2011 — the one who managed games and made plays — then they wouldn’t want Smith,” the source said. “He’s the best quarterback in a very average, if not below average, quarterback draft. If he came out last year when there was [Andrew] Luck, [Robert] Griffin then he would have been a second-round pick at best in my eyes. He benefited from that offense at West Virginia. I don’t think it translates and the Jets can’t risk that right now. This pick has to be a success.”

One name gaining traction on several draft boards around the league is Zac Dysert. As initially broken by Metro in March, Dysert has been gaining interest from the Jets. He visited with the Jets last week and could be a possible mid-round selection.

“He played on a Miami (Ohio) team that wasn’t very good, just 4-8 I think. They couldn’t run and didn’t have playmakers,” the source said. “But he has good intangibles and he’s accurate, something [Jets offensive coordinator] Marty Mornhinweg would like in that West Coast offense. He might emerge as the Jets quarterback this draft.

“Don’t let his numbers fool you, I think he could be the steal at quarterback in this draft.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

I still don't understand this thinking of trying to get a QB later in the rounds: we're gonna pass on the most talented QB in the draft because he doesn't have the best value at our pick, but instead we'll be happier with a much sh*ttier QB in the later rounds, because at least it's not considered a reach??  Makes zero sense.  If they pass on him because they just think he's not good, then by all means, pass away.  But if they think he's a capable starting quarterback who could help them win games, but they let him pass becuase he has better value 7 picks later, then that's just assanine.  Look at all the reports touting Brian Brohm and those crucifying Baltimore for "reaching" on Flacco...they're embarrassing to look at now.  Again, I'm not advocating for Smith, just the notion that a team should pass on him, even if they like him, because his value is better a half dozen picks later.  

i don't think Geno goes top 10. Teams might trade back into the round for him. Or not. 

I think he goes before any guards.

I don't expect him to be available when the Jets pick. Can't see Buffalo passing on him, and that's if he lasts that long.

I think he goes before any guards.

I don't expect him to be available when the Jets pick. Can't see Buffalo passing on him, and that's if he lasts that long.

That seems like an obvious statement but this year I'm not so sure. The Guards are great prospects. Geno is a meh prospect. The Bills paid Kevin Kolb they can't take Geno top 10 and sit him. 

That seems like an obvious statement but this year I'm not so sure. The Guards are great prospects. Geno is a meh prospect. The Bills paid Kevin Kolb they can't take Geno top 10 and sit him. 

Kolb's contract is meh. It's not going to stop the Bills from taking Smith if they see him as a potential franchise QB.

Kolb's contract is meh. It's not going to stop the Bills from taking Smith if they see him as a potential franchise QB.

if Buffalo drafts Geno it will be because Buddy Nix is on the hotseat and desperate for anything to save his job. Not because Geno is worth the pick. No one actually has geno graded out as a blue chip player. Most respected sources have him in the 20's. 

I  Look at all the reports touting Brian Brohm and those crucifying Baltimore for "reaching" on Flacco...they're embarrassing to look at now.  Again, I'm not advocating for Smith, just the notion that a team should pass on him, even if they like him, because his value is better a half dozen picks later.  

Brian Brohm?  I remember that draft.  Our local sportscaster, giving his report on the first round, said disapprovingly, "The Falcons could have had Brian Brohm in the second or third round but they used their first round pick to take Matt Ryan...." 

I remember thinking, "well, maybe they wanted Matt Ryan and didn't want Brian Brohm, even if they could get him two rounds later".  Apparently that thought never crossed the sportscaster's mind.

If you are looking for a new leader for your team, and you see a guy who you think you can groom to take you to the top, you grab him the first chance you get.  Always.

if Buffalo drafts Geno it will be because Buddy Nix is on the hotseat and desperate for anything to save his job. Not because Geno is worth the pick. No one actually has geno graded out as a blue chip player. Most respected sources have him in the 20's. 

I really am less on this draft than past drafts so I really haven't looked. How true is that final statement you made there? Is he really ranked in the 20's? Hell, is Buddy Nix really on the hot seat in the first place or is that one of those internet things? Seems like an internet thing from my quick Google search:

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/285875211780374528

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/12/31/3823096/buffalo-bills-buddy-nix-russ-brandon-rumors

Nix also has a good background helping build some tough Bills and really exciting Chargers teams...

I really am less on this draft than past drafts so I really haven't looked. How true is that final statement you made there? Is he really ranked in the 20's? Hell, is Buddy Nix really on the hot seat in the first place or is that one of those internet things? Seems like an internet thing from my quick Google search:

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/285875211780374528

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/12/31/3823096/buffalo-bills-buddy-nix-russ-brandon-rumors

Nix also has a good background helping build some tough Bills and really exciting Chargers teams...

chris burke from SI.com just ranked him at 24 yesterday 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130416/2013-nfl-draft-big-board-5/

as for Buddy Nix, they just fired his buddy Chan and if 100 mil Mario williams doesn't work out he's next

Chris Burke is "most respected sources?" Dammit bit...

who would you consider respected? 

Gil Brandt is probably the most "pro-geno" with him at 7 in his hot 100.  Bucky Brooks has him as a "blue chipper" but he also has Jarvis at 2 overall. 

NFLDS has him at 12. 

Scouts inc has him at 20.

i dont get ESPN insider but Kiper had him in the 20-32 range. I don't think mcShay has him in his top 32 at all. Lande hates him doesn't even have him top 40. Mayock doesn't do a big board but he has flip flopped Barkley and Geno at 1 in his top 5 positional rankings. 

Brian Brohm?  I remember that draft.  Our local sportscaster, giving his report on the first round, said disapprovingly, "The Falcons could have had Brian Brohm in the second or third round but they used their first round pick to take Matt Ryan...." 

I remember thinking, "well, maybe they wanted Matt Ryan and didn't want Brian Brohm, even if they could get him two rounds later".  Apparently that thought never crossed the sportscaster's mind.

If you are looking for a new leader for your team, and you see a guy who you think you can groom to take you to the top, you grab him the first chance you get.  Always.

100% agree with you and BroadwayJoe on this.  It is one of the reason why "draft expert" is such an inexact science.  Let's say the Jets draft EJ Manual at number 9.  The draft experts would be up in arms about how Manual was a second round talent and the Jets were picking him too high.  Well, it takes two teams to trade down and if you think the guy is who you want, why risk allowing someone else to swoop in and take him?  Plus, if you wait until your second pick to get "value" with the pick, you risk not having him around.  It really is true that a draft can't be evaluated until a few years later. I think that generally the best plan is to make value picks, but let's be realistic, teams make need picks all the time and also fall in love with certain guys and have to have them.

Gil Brandt is probably the most "pro-geno" with him at 7 in his hot 100.  Bucky Brooks has him as a "blue chipper" but he also has Jarvis at 2 overall. 

NFLDS has him at 12. 

i dont get ESPN insider but Kiper had him in the 20-32 range. I don't think mcShay has him in his top 32 at all. Lande hates him doesn't even have him top 40. Mayock doesn't do a big board but he has flip flopped Barkley and Geno at 1 in his top 5 positional rankings. 

Gruden likes him.

Gil Brandt is probably the most "pro-geno" with him at 7 in his hot

100.  Bucky Brooks has him as a "blue chipper" but he also has Jarvis at

2 overall. 

NFLDS has him at 12. 

You just named 4 people who didn't have him in the 20's and I'll throw Pauline (19) in to make 5. You then named 3 who support your claim bringing your total to 4. This is most?

Lande's board is very, very unique. He has Nassib as his #1 overall guy right now.

You just named 4 people who didn't have him in the 20's and I'll throw Pauline (19) in to make 5. You then named 3 who support your claim bringing your total to 4. This is most? 

how does ranking a QB at 20 translate into him going top 10? 

if geno was any good he'd go 2 to Jac or 1 to KC. 

Same could have been said about Aaron Rodgers, no? 

My issue was with your claim that the majority of respected analysts had him in the 20's. You then named 3 guys who had him earlier than the 20s and 3 guys who have him in or later. Pauline made 4 guys who had him earlier than the 20s. Brandt, arguably the most respected of the draft guys as far as big boards go, has him at 4. 

Smith, to me, seems most penalized for not being Andrew Luck or as exciting athletically as RG3. He's a highly experienced starter with all the pre-req physical ability. Those QBs tend to go higher than expected, and there are still plenty who expect Smith gone sooner rather than later in the first round. 

19 isn't 20 but it's not a blue chip grade either.  we can just agree to disagree and see what happens. I don't see a natural spot for Geno in the top 10 of this draft. Also keep in mind the new CBA makes it better to draft him at 11 than at 9 (something about the 5th year being cheap if he isn't in the top 10)

I still don't understand this line of thinking Bit.  Teams pass on QBs for many reasons: why did Flacco go 18th overall and not top 5 or 10, when there were many QB needy teams at the top of the board??  It's not as simple as if he's good he goes and if he doesn't he drops.  Flacco clearly was the real deal and people passed on him, as they did with Aaron Rodgers etc.  Like you've said many times, it's not an exact science and sometimes people opt for what they feel is a safer pick, but that doesn't mean because he's not drafted 1 or 2 he's not any good.

19 isn't 20 but it's not a blue chip grade either.  we can just agree to disagree and see what happens. I don't see a natural spot for Geno in the top 10 of this draft. Also keep in mind the new CBA makes it better to draft him at 11 than at 9 (something about the 5th year being cheap if he isn't in the top 10)

The new CBA makes the whole draft cheaper for teams. That's not a real issue. 

The new CBA makes the whole draft cheaper for teams. That's not a real issue. 

Yes but QB's especially there's a big difference between what their contracts look like if they are in the top 10 and what their contracts look like if picked 11-32. You are right it's not a real issue if we are talking about Andrew Luck. But Geno is not that type of prospect.

Yes but QB's especially there's a big difference between what their contracts look like if they are in the top 10 and what their contracts look like if picked 11-32. You are right it's not a real issue if we are talking about Andrew Luck. But Geno is not that type of prospect.

1. I assume you're done with that whole "most respected" thing?

2. This whole thing is a small factor considering 4 years of cheap, quality QB play doesn't exactly grow on trees. Beyond "he's not Andrew Luck" I'm not 100% sure on what makes Geno Smith the kind of QB prospect you seem to think he is. 

1. I assume you're done with that whole "most respected" thing?

2. This whole thing is a small factor considering 4 years of cheap, quality QB play doesn't exactly grow on trees. Beyond "he's not Andrew Luck" I'm not 100% sure on what makes Geno Smith the kind of QB prospect you seem to think he is. 

if you don't actually respect any sources then yeah i guess 1 is a moot point. 

as for Geno the prospect he stunk for 5 games this season and the Pinstripe bowl. He lost 32 fumbles and had 2 safeties on national TV in the bowl game. How does a cold weather team like buffalo or new york look at his performance in Yankee stadium and feel like he's a top 10 pick? 

if you don't actually respect any sources then yeah i guess 1 is a moot point. 

as for Geno the prospect he stunk for 5 games this season and the Pinstripe bowl. He lost 32 fumbles and had 2 safeties on national TV in the bowl game. How does a cold weather team like buffalo or new york look at his performance in Yankee stadium and feel like he's a top 10 pick? 

Bold: What disrespect did I show to sources now? 

Small. Sample. Size. They've got 4 years worth of information. He threw up 70 points in the Orange Bowl against Clemson. Why does one get brought up and not the other for a guy with 3+ years starting experience leaving school as a true senior? 

Bold: What disrespect did I show to sources now? 

Small. Sample. Size. They've got 4 years worth of information. He threw up 70 points in the Orange Bowl against Clemson. Why does one get brought up and not the other? 

I just think the word "respected" makes that whole sentence invalid. I said he's not in the top 20 you give me a guy who puts him at 19, does that disprove my point? Either way he's not a blue chip pick. 

as for the cold weather maybe he belongs in florida where the orange bowl is played. Mark probably should have never been drafted into the AFC east either. It happens. The clemson game was awesome if he played every game like that or baylor he's got rg3 stock and we aren't having this discussion. Consistency is a fair complaint with Geno. 

When the Giants had Joe Pisarcik, (down from Canada), calling the plays and knew they needed a new signal caller, with the seventh overall pick they chose Phil Simms, unknown and not even from a Division 1-A school..

They explained that they needed a QB and they thought Simms would fill the bill, so they took him as soon as they could.

How did that work out for them?

I still don't understand this thinking of trying to get a QB later in the rounds: we're gonna pass on the most talented QB in the draft because he doesn't have the best value at our pick, but instead we'll be happier with a much sh*ttier QB in the later rounds, because at least it's not considered a reach??  Makes zero sense.  If they pass on him because they just think he's not good, then by all means, pass away.  But if they think he's a capable starting quarterback who could help them win games, but they let him pass becuase he has better value 7 picks later, then that's just assanine.  Look at all the reports touting Brian Brohm and those crucifying Baltimore for "reaching" on Flacco...they're embarrassing to look at now.  Again, I'm not advocating for Smith, just the notion that a team should pass on him, even if they like him, because his value is better a half dozen picks later.  

The Jets are thinking about much more than Geno Smiths perceived value during this draft.  They are picking the best players.  Based on this report, what they are saying is that at the 9th spot, there are several players that have a much better value to the Jets than Geno Smith.  Maybe at 15-20, there won't be as many guys graded higher than Geno, and they would consider him.  Not to mention, Geno Smith might not be the Jets highest rated QB.

The Jets are thinking about much more than Geno Smiths perceived value during this draft.  They are picking the best players.  Based on this report, what they are saying is that at the 9th spot, there are several players that have a much better value to the Jets than Geno Smith.  Maybe at 15-20, there won't be as many guys graded higher than Geno, and they would consider him.  Not to mention, Geno Smith might not be the Jets highest rated QB.

I understand what the reports were saying, but I just don't buy that line of thinking.  If they think he's a starting caliber quarterback who can lead a team to a winning record and the playoffs, that's worth more than any other position on the field. Other people have different views, but I've always prescribed to the belief that if you don't have a QB, you do whatever you can to get one.  If he's good enough to lead your team in the middle of the first round, he's good enough to lead your team with the 9th overall selection. You don't think Ryan and Flacco would go 1-2 to Miami or St. Louis if they could do it again? 

Again, I'm not advocating for Smith at the 9th overall pick, I'm just saying if they pass on him, it's not because they think they'd be grabbing him a half dozen spots too early, it's because they just don't think he's a guy you can bring it to take over your team right away.

When the Giants had Joe Pisarcik, (down from Canada), calling the plays and knew they needed a new signal caller, with the seventh overall pick they chose Phil Simms, unknown and not even from a Division 1-A school..

They explained that they needed a QB and they thought Simms would fill the bill, so they took him as soon as they could.

How did that work out for them?

honestly not great for the first 4 years or so Simms was injury riddled and just bad. maybe there's hope for sanchez if you compare him to Phil Simms. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms

Archived