E J Manuel says Jets are Showing Strong Interest

flgreen

E.J. Manuel says Eagles, Bills and Jets are showing strong interest

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT

Former Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel says three teams with Top 10 picks are showing strong interest in drafting him.

Manuel said on the Dan Patrick Show that the Eagles (who own the No. 4 overall pick), the Bills (No. 8) and the Jets (No. 9) have all made him feel like there’s a good chance they’ll select him.

“I feel really good about the Philadelphia Eagles, I feel really good about the Buffalo Bills, I feel really good about the New York Jets,” Manuel said. “I met with even more teams than that, but those are some of the teams I feel really confident in. I know they need quarterbacks, I know they want quarterbacks, they have brand new coaching staffs and things like that, so they want a fresh start. They want an energetic kind of quarterback to come in and play.”

Not many people expect Manuel to go in the Top 10 overall, and in fact plenty of people don’t think he’s a first-round pick at all. So if those teams are showing interest in Manuel, it may be to take him in the second round.

so, you guys are ok with Mark for another year?

We're stuck with him but that doesn't mean he has to play. Tebow will be gone. I'm not sure that McElroy will make it through camp but I bet he will once Garrard eventually breaks down. I think you take a guy with promise in the 4th or 5th and see what happens.

We're stuck with him but that doesn't mean he has to play. Tebow will be gone. I'm not sure that McElroy will make it through camp but I bet he will once Garrard eventually breaks down. I think you take a guy with promise in the 4th or 5th and see what happens.

I understand not wanting to reach on certain players, but doesn't it seem a bit backwards that you would rather pass on the best QB in this class as he's the best of a sh*tty group, but you'd rather give the lesser of the "sh*tty class" a chance, simply because he wouldn't be considered a "reach?"

Again, I'm not advocating for any particular quarterback, I just never get the idea of people wanting to pass on the best QBs that year as they might seem like a reach, but wholeheartedly support the idea of draft a sh*tty quarterback in the middle rounds and hope they can develop him.  

I understand not wanting to reach on certain players, but doesn't it seem a bit backwards that you would rather pass on the best QB in this class as he's the best of a sh*tty group, but you'd rather give the lesser of the "sh*tty class" a chance, simply because he wouldn't be considered a "reach?"

Again, I'm not advocating for any particular quarterback, I just never get the idea of people wanting to pass on the best QBs that year as they might seem like a reach, but wholeheartedly support the idea of draft a sh*tty quarterback in the middle rounds and hope they can develop him.

You'd have to prove to me Geno Smith is without a doubt the best QB in this class. Some scouts are mixed.

A lot of pressure on everyone involved if the Jets take a QB at #9. If Idzik isn't sure about the guy, I don't see him pulling the trigger. Don't know what he's thinking about Rex for sure, either. Does he spend #9 on a QB that fits Mornhinweg's system, only to let Mornhinweg go after the season? Too many variables, I think - unless he really loves a guy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him "reach" for a QB in the later rounds, though. Maybe take a guy like Dysert a round allegedly too early.

You'll certainly never make a high profile mistake with that philosophy...but, you will probably also never draft a franchise QB that way either. Without a franchise QB, you don't have a team. QB is not like an offensive guard or a safety, you can't just stick some guy in the position and hope to win games. You need a great QB and the chance of finding them later in the draft is very remote.

You'll certainly never make a high profile mistake with that philosophy...but, you will probably also never draft a franchise QB that way either. Without a franchise QB, you don't have a team. QB is not like an offensive guard or a safety, you can't just stick some guy in the position and hope to win games. You need a great QB and the chance of finding them later in the draft is very remote.

Okay. I don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft. That's just me. So why would we waste a pick in the early part of the draft on something that isn't there?

You're almost as likely to bust in a first round QB as you are to find a great QB.

I did some research once and looked up the draft position of the top 16 QB's, (by QB rating, which I'm not crazy about but what the hell).  This was a few years ago.

Eight were first rounders, (though not all with their original team), three were second rounders, and the rest were evenly distributed across the rest of the draft and undrafted free agents.

This business of "well we need a QB so let's see who's there on the fourth round" doesn't cut it.  I love Russel Wilson but what he did doesn't happen often.

I did some research once and looked up the draft position of the top 16 QB's, (by QB rating, which I'm not crazy about but what the hell).  This was a few years ago.

Eight were first rounders, (though not all with their original team), three were second rounders, and the rest were evenly distributed across the rest of the draft and undrafted free agents.

This business of "well we need a QB so let's see who's there on the fourth round" doesn't cut it.  I love Russel Wilson but what he did doesn't happen often.

I believe it's even more exaggerated than that, but I can't recall the exact numbers.  Scott from NFLDC did a long retrospective analysis of all the successful QBs in the league for a number of years (forgot what he labeled as successful; maybe it was pro bowl or maybe it was just starter etc.) and the overwhelming majority were all first rounders and of those first rounders a lot were top half of the draft.  It's just so rare to actually hit on a QB outside of the first or even high second round.

This is true, but does drafting EJ Manuel in the first round make him a first rounder? :D

The Jets need a QB badly in a bad year for QBs. Pretty typical.

If they scout these guys and opt to take one high, I'll be optimistic about it as I always try to be - but I think I prefer the late rounder with upside this year, and making a bolder move for a QB in the ever elusive future.

This is true, but does drafting EJ Manuel in the first round make him a first rounder? :biggrin:

For the philosophy of grab-the-guy-you-want-as-soon-as-you-can to work, you first must actually want the guy you're grabbing.  That is to say, you must honestly feel that with the right development, this guy can make you a contender.

If the Jets don't think there is a QB out there that they consider worthy of a multi-year commitment to develop, then they shouldn't draft him first round.  But you don't draft later rounds to get your starting QB.  You draft later rounds to get a project who you hope will be a capable backup in a couple of years.  If he turns out to be more than that-so much the better.  Just don't count on it.

When an average draft has a couple of first round QB's and nearly a dozen QB's drafted after that, you can see that the "hit rate" of finding a top QB is much better if you are shopping in the first round aisle as opposed to panning for gold in the bargain bin.

why does everyone keep saying this. Who is good in next years draft? None seem to be that great

This is what I don't get.  Last year people not in the RG3 and Luck lottery, were hoping for Barkley and Jones this year.    

Fast forward to this year and nobody wants those guys.     And next years draft doesn't look promising for QBs.   Maybe some kid will come out of nowhere, but Luck was one of those once in a generation types.    RG3 is a kid who just had something special.      Anything is possible but there are no Andrew Lucks coming next year.  So if they find nothing this year, next year could be another one of those years.    

I mean who is the stud at this point, AJ McCarron?  He's not a guy you skip over anybody for.  You could say Teddy 'ballgame' might be that guy, but he's not a lock like Luck, and he might not even come out next year.  He could, but Barkley and Jones and Leinart and Manning and so on could have come out early over the years and didn't.   

If they don't think any of these guys is their guy, then don't draft any QB.   What's the point in drafting some QB in the 4th round this year if you don't really think any of these QBs are any good.  Seems like a waste.    Or if you'd take Geno or EJ in the late first round or 2nd round,  why wouldn't you take him early?   Same player.  Yeah bigger risk, but if you think highly enough of the guy that you would take him,  you probably should take him.     I imagine a lot of teams are kicking themselves for thinking Rodgers just wasn't worth an early pick.

..........   Or if you'd take Geno or EJ in the late first round or 2nd round,  why wouldn't you take him early? 

The problem is that if you select someone on the first or even second round, you usually make a commitment to them for a few years.

So if you don't really believe in him but take him because he seems to be the best of a mediocre lot, you lose three years or more before you finally throw in the towel.

If you're going to get a QB you figure you'll have to ditch in a year, it doesn't make much sense to use a first or even second round pick on him.

why does everyone keep saying this. Who is good in next years draft? None seem to be that great

The Internet is all about who is the best trained parrot. I'm lost on who these great QBs are next year as well, but I think we'll keep hearing it until after the 2013 draft is over and the 2014 draft is no long as shiny and Future.

Also it goes to show how much of a joke rebuilding and waiting on Future to show up actually is.

If they don't think any of these guys is their guy, then don't draft any QB.   What's the point in drafting some QB in the 4th round this year if you don't really think any of these QBs are any good.  Seems like a waste.    Or if you'd take Geno or EJ in the late first round or 2nd round,  why wouldn't you take him early?   Same player.  Yeah bigger risk, but if you think highly enough of the guy that you would take him,  you probably should take him.     I imagine a lot of teams are kicking themselves for thinking Rodgers just wasn't worth an early pick.

Personally, I think drafting QBs often is a good plan. You see teams like the Packers and Eagles do that, and they manage to get good returns when trading backups they've developed. It's the most important position on the team, seems smart to always be searching for and developing players there.

When you look at the Jets this year specifically, a lot of factors come into play. With a potentially lame duck head coach, and coaching staff, is it wise to take a QB you're only lukewarm about early? I don't think so. Seems like taking the stud DT that every coach will be able to use early makes more sense. The WR that any QB would be happy to have, etc. And again, when you look at the Jets roster, there isn't a QB guaranteed to be on the roster in 2014. So taking a guy in the mid-rounds just to start building a little continuity is a good move. You hope to get lucky with your 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder, but you're also not committed to him should a high quality QB present himself next year.

Archived