Tampa Bay Times: Price For Revis May be to High

flgreen

Jets' price for Revis may be too high for Bucs

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer 

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:14pm

The Bucs may pass on a chance to trade for Darrelle Revis if the Jets continue to insist on three draft picks for the Pro Bowl cornerback.

The Jets reportedly have asked for the Bucs' 13th overall pick in the NFL draft April 25, as well as selections in the third and fifth rounds. It's not clear whether one, both or neither of those later picks could come in 2014.

Tampa Bay appears ready to trade its first-round pick in 2013 and 'something else,' but the Bucs believe they are the only team with the salary cap room and the need at cornerback currently engaged in talks for Revis. The Bucs are $32.8-million under the salary cap, second only to Cleveland ($33.6-million), but the Browns have not been linked to Revis.

Tampa Bay was last in the league in pass defense and has a dire need at cornerback. They did not address the position through free agency, opting only to sign Eric Wright to a restructured 1-year contract. Veteran Ronde Barber has not decided whether to return for a 17th season.

But the Bucs front office and coach Greg Schiano are in agreement that the Jets' price is currently too high for Revis, especially due to the lack of suitors and the fact he is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL. While Revis was cleared to begin running without restriction following an examination of his knee in New York Monday, it is not a trade that can be made on the clock. The Bucs would want several days to have Revis' injury evaluated. In addition to the draft picks, the Bucs must be prepared to pay Revis about $15-million per year.

Eight days before the NFL dtaft, the Bucs and Jets are in a virtual stare down when it comes to Revis.

Schiano has said he is not afraid to start a rookie cornerback and they could be in position to draft one in the first round. Last year, safety Mark Barron, linebacker Lavonte David and running back Doug Martin combined to start 48 games as rookies.

“Yeah, it’s very difficult to pull the trigger on a deal like that and reach a compensation level that makes everyone happy and I don’t know what the players’ prognosis is,'' said former Colts and Bills general manager Bill Polian. "Everybody is always ahead of schedule and you don’t know until you see him on the field and even then it’s difficult to tell in the preseason because it’s not the same speed as the regular season. It’s hard to reach a level of compensation the trading team may want based on the situation. The injury is a complicating factor, there are no two ways about that. I understand the reluctance.’’

[Last modified: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:00pm]

if they don't get a good deal the right move is to keep him. 

so ur cool with keeping him this year even though we arent going to win anything with or without him, then we're def not gonna re-sign him.....so we just lose him for what will be, basically, a 4th round pick........you think thats the right move?

is it the year after? i thought it was the same year....thats even worse

Yeah, they'll do their magic secret free agent calculations based on the free agents the Jets lose and sign in 2014, then award the appropriate comp picks the following year.

Yeah, they'll do their magic secret free agent calculations based on the free agents the Jets lose and sign in 2014, then award the appropriate comp picks the following year.

yeah we're gonna be losing revis for whats gonna end up being a mediocre o-lineman who will be a rotation player by 2017

You always get the best deal when you are ready to walk away. A 1st, 3rd and 5th rounder are not good compensation for Revis and from reports they are not even getting that and not in the same draft. And all we have seen is Revis's agents and the Bucs whining away with leaks and articles like above being the norm!

Wosrt case scenario you let him play for you all of next season and get the comp pick. But the JETS can also trade him away during the season. If Revis shuts out one WR completely the amount of compensation will be higher. Granted it won't be in the coming week's draft! It not a bad place to be.

so ur cool with keeping him this year even though we arent going to win anything with or without him, then we're def not gonna re-sign him.....so we just lose him for what will be, basically, a 4th round pick........you think thats the right move?

if the Jets win 1 or 2 more games with Revis in 2013 I'm good with that. The Jets are not a long term T bill you can put in a drawer and forget about 

most of the folks on this site watch every minute of Jets football every year. Why?  to be entertained and when the team is absolutely atrocious bad it's a painful thing to watch every minute. every win is great even the gutless wins that 'cost draft position' like vs KC many Herm's ago. 

So yes even tho it sounds dumb you never know and I'd rather they keep the possible HOF'er and win some damn games.  

it's better than liquidation and showing the league how much you'll bend over to trade the team's best player. How embarrassing to take a 2014 1st or "whatever" for Darrelle Revis. 

The most that I've been able to discern over the years, is that it's a combination of booze and the lottery ball machine.

if the Jets win 1 or 2 more games with Revis in 2013 I'm good with that. The Jets are not a long term T bill you can put in a drawer and forget about 

most of the folks on this site watch every minute of Jets football every year. Why?  to be entertained and when the team is absolutely atrocious bad it's a painful thing to watch every minute. every win is great even the gutless wins that 'cost draft position' like vs KC many Herm's ago. 

So yes even tho it sounds dumb you never know and I'd rather they keep the possible HOF'er and win some damn games.  

it's better than liquidation and showing the league how much you'll bend over to trade the team's best player. How embarrassing to take a 2014 1st or "whatever" for Darrelle Revis. 

When the team goes 7-9 and he walks for nothing, I doubt you'll be wanting to own this post.

This is by far the DUMBEST of all the Revis *breaking news* so far this off-season.

If the price for Revis wasn't too high and has been all along, don't you think Revis would be a Buc right now? LOL

The lowest price possible is set, now I'd be the Jets are leaking this to make it clear to other teams that are likely watching closely what they need to come up with to jump in at teh last minute and steal Revis. 

if they don't get a good deal the right move is to keep him. 

I think every one would like to see Revis on the jets for the next five years at a reasonable price.  It’s a moot point though.  Woody isn’t going to pay him.

IMO if Revis limped into Woody’s office tomorrow and said he will sign a 5 year 50 million, with 30 million guaranteed in the first two years, Woody wouldn’t sign him.  He doesn’t trust that Revis won’t cause problems after two years if the market is up again for CB’s, and he is still “Revis”

If Tampa says “screw it” and takes a CB at 13.  The Jets are screwed.  No that CB won’t be Revis, but Tampa can buy him next year.  Without giving up any draft picks. They will also know next year if he is going to be Revis again.  Which isn’t a given.

At this point a good deal is what the market will bear

This is by far the DUMBEST of all the Revis *breaking news* so far this off-season.

If the price for Revis wasn't too high and has been all along, don't you think Revis would be a Buc right now? LOL

The lowest price possible is set, now I'd be the Jets are leaking this to make it clear to other teams that are likely watching closely what they need to come up with to jump in at teh last minute and steal Revis. 

Exactly.  No new events or information whatsoever.  More jibber jabber.  I cannot wait for the draft to come so all this nonsense can just fade into the sunset.

When the team goes 7-9 and he walks for nothing, I doubt you'll be wanting to own this post.

Don't worry, if somebody called him out on it we'd be sure to hear some story about how Revis was solely responsible for 5 of those wins (despite absolutely no evidence to support that claim), thus making any trade offer the Jets could have possibly gotten not worth it for the privilege of getting to watch the almighty Lord Revis play one whole season.

This story has been covered terribly from day 1, when Idzik was supposedly "shopping" Revis before he had even found his office in Florham Park, right up until today...

1. The Bucs are the only team interested in Revis???

-Right, because "mystery teams" are never involved in deals.

-There are 10 or more teams that are in a better place to make a run next year, most of which could get much more value out of Revis in the near-term than the Bucs could.

2. The Jets have no leverage???

-Sure they don't! Because they can't re-sign him, right? Oh, yes, with lots of money coming off the books before kickoff 2014, sure they can.

-Sure they don't! Because they can't trade him in-season. Um, yes, they could. His value might take a hit, because you wouldn't have him as long this year, but he would still have value if he's able to come back from the injury.

3. But he might not be the same player as he was before the injury!

-Oh, I see. So what you're telling me is that the Jets have no leverage, because they can't afford to pay him as much as he is going to demand as an injury-addled shell of himself? Wait, what? Revis has all the leverage, except he might never be any good anymore... but he's going to be asking for $15/m per year... but he might never be any good anymore... but he's not worried about that at all, he is perfectly willing to roll the dice by playing (or trying to play) 16 games, hoping to hit free agency, but if it doesn't work, he'll be content to never get a big contract ever again. But no team is interested in Revis besides the Bucs, due to his injury, but, really, Revis' injury is not a problem, except that it is...

His injury is either a problem or it isn't. Pick a ****ing idea and stick to it.

This is Bucs seeing if they can shake the tree loose on the Revis trade. On the other hand you do not see any leaks from the JETS right now!

That's the silver lining here.  It is evident that our "circus" (whatever that is) has changed and that they new FO has a tighter reign on the org. I like it.

that being said, I hope they trade Revis. The 1st, 3rd and 5th are fine with me. I also hope they throw Tebow in for a snickers bar. I heard they really satisfy.

7-9 is better than 6-10 or 5-11. 

by the way the timing is important. Tampa Bay reportedly wanted to put Revis thru a physical, that was supposed to happen a week prior to the 1st round. the draft is next Thursday night. 

Get this piece of sh*t off the team already.

The keep Revis crowd is annoying.  What in gods name makes them think:

A) The Jets are paying Revis

B ) Revis would consider staying after being "disrespected" like this

Archived