That Nets Playoff thread where Tom talks to himself

T0mShane

I don't know if I've ever seen anything as gutless as Derrick Rose opting to not play, especially considering he's been practicing for weeks. Joakim Noah is out there on one foot, literally limping up and down the floor trying to help his team in a blowout. Sick.

The Nets do have the 2 best players in the series.  The Bulls only hope was to make it ugly and hope DWill and Lopez choke.

And I agree, T0m, Rose was cleared to play in FEBRUARY.  He's simply scared to play.  A lot of their players are hurt and still out there. 

I really think this Rose drama has negatively affected the team down the stretch of the season and going into this game.  Just imagine what the NY media would do if Melo pulled what Rose did.

And, somewhere in cyberverse ECURB is weeping.

^ I seriously thought the Bulls would come in, push the Nets front court around, and win 85-79 every night in a sweep. It's almost sad to see them play with no heart. Also agree that if Carmelo sat out a quarter today, the media would go ballistic. The NBA writers were all on his case today for not passing the ball enough in the first half. It's like he banged their wives or something.

Thibs is a good coach, but this season is the downside of his approach.  He demands 110% ever possession throughout the season and he wears his team down.  This was the perfect season for them to enter the lottery and get a good player to team with Rose.  Instead, he pushes them to make the playoffs and now they're worn out.

Also, their style of play may be an issue.  It first creaped up 2 years ago when Rose won the MVP.  They play at playoff intensity every regular season game and most of their opponents don't. But when they are in the postseason, the opponent does and if the opponent has equal or better talent the Bulls can't win.

Excellent bounce back win by the Bulls. They looked so worn out in game 1.

Surprised by DWill's utter no-show.

Joe Johnson, if he's not hitting his shots, is easily the most useless human walking the earth. PJ should have stapled his balls to the bench. The team is so Jeckyl and Hyde that it's hard to root for.

I don't know if I've ever seen anything as gutless as Derrick Rose opting to not play, especially considering he's been practicing for weeks. Joakim Noah is out there on one foot, literally limping up and down the floor trying to help his team in a blowout. Sick.

I'm torn about this.  On the one hand it's his knee and he knows when he's ready better than I do.  On the other, you're absolutely right, Noah is out there clearly fighting through intense pain and all Rose is doing is sitting on the bench in a suit while the Bulls trot out ******* Nate Robinson.  

Thibs is a good coach, but this season is the downside of his approach.  He demands 110% ever possession throughout the season and he wears his team down.  This was the perfect season for them to enter the lottery and get a good player to team with Rose.  Instead, he pushes them to make the playoffs and now they're worn out.

Also, their style of play may be an issue.  It first creaped up 2 years ago when Rose won the MVP.  They play at playoff intensity every regular season game and most of their opponents don't. But when they are in the postseason, the opponent does and if the opponent has equal or better talent the Bulls can't win.

Thibs is obviously a good coach but I think something has to give in the next couple years.  Either he stops burning his guys out or they start to tune him out.

I have to admit to ignoring the Nets once the draft started, but I'll say this: the Bulls were the worst possible matchup for the Nets frontcourt because they're way to physical for Brook, who shrinks when someone puts an elbow into his chest. Noah, on one foot, dommed him on every loose ball and rebound. Shameful. This is not to exonerate Deron, either. The dude is wicked talented, but he has to be your third best player on the team. Asking him to carry you through a series is clearly too much for him, and throws him into a mental tailspin. Also, Joe Johnson is a finesse player with a bad foot. If he doesn't get healthy this offseason, that bad contract becomes a nightmare.

Moving forward, PJ is gone and Phil Jackson is a pipe dream. Prokhorov is going to pay out the ass for a coach from somewhere, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him taking a run at Calipari, who's driving Kentucky into probation any day now. Prokhorov hinted that they're going to go get one more big player this offseason, but I don't think they can do that unless they trade Brook. IMO, the Brook-for-Dwight Howard rumors will start again pretty soon. Brook will always average the softest 19 and 7 of all time, but the guy will always be a loser because he has a vagina.

I think your Brooks hate is blinding you a bit, T0m.

Also, I don't believe the Nets can trade Brooks for Dwight because (1) Dwight is a UFA and (2) because the Nets are over the tax threshhold next year they can't do a sign & trade (per the new CBA rules).

The problem is Dwill and JJ, not Brooks.

On a related aside, I think the last 10 years helps a point I made for time: a team whose best player is a PG can't win a championship.  Teams with wingplayers and frontcourt players who are their best player win because even if the PG is shut down, the team can still score in crunch playoff time.  When the PG is the best player, teams focus on shutting the PG down and since they don't have as good as a player supporting them the team gets shut down.

We saw that with the Bulls & Rose, Nets & DWill, and Paul & Clippers.

Don't get me wrong, a good PG is a plus, but he can't be the best player.  He needs a teammate as good or better in order to win.

A few of things of note regarding the Nets

Tom give up the Dwight dream, he had his chance to come here and blew it and that royally screwed the Nets from having a team that might be a championship contender.  Your Lopez hate while in some instances is justified, he has been their best player all year, and been a top 10 player in the entire league this year.  Time to give him his credit where it is due.

The Bulls are a bad match up for anyone, they have a great coach and always compete making every series a tough grind

This is the first go round for this Nets team and there is something to be said for go through the playoff experience together, win or lose this series (which looks likely to be a loss) this will be a good learning/growing experience for them because they will be together for the foreseeable future.

The coaching advantage the bulls have with Thibs vs. PJ is the biggest mismatch in this series. Thibs has made adjustments and has shown numerous times he can draw up a play to get a bucket out of timeout, while PJ sets up an isolation for Joe or Deron and I have no idea why they do not feature Lopez more in the block late in games. He has so been the best player for either team in this series and they continually go away from him. Thats coaching and also speaks to Lopez's personality (more below) I like PJ but there is a reason he hasnt been a head coach in a long time. He will not be back.

The team is lacking direction and more importantly Leadership. Deron, JJ, and Lopez are not the leader types (thats a one of DWills flaws) and if your best player(s) are not leaders you have to have a strong figure head of a coach who can lead the team.  Lopez is not the type of fiery personality type to demand the ball in certain instances when it is warranted.

Deron has played great the second half of the year but he has to become more of a vocal leader and come in to camp in better shape. JJ is certainly overpaid, but he is not overrated as many like to think. "Terrible Max Player" is a stretch.  Watching him play everyday really brings to light how clutch a player he is. Finding guys willing to take and make the last shot is not that easy and he has been the best late and clutch player in the league this year. He has to get healthy.

Lopez has taken a huge leap this year. He has improved defensively particularly with his shot blocking, but still has a ways to go rebounding. Hopefully the next coach can bring more out of him. Not sure where the team is headed, as Dwight Howard royally screwed us out of a championship caliber team. This team with right coach in place is just as good as any team in the east not named Miami.  

As SMC mentioned they cannot do a sign and trade, but they can look to trade for an existing signed player.  This is where the Hump contract might be of use as an 12m expiring.  Not thrilled with the contract extension for King but this team was a 12 win team a couple of years ago.  The Wallace contract is the one that is going to hurt the most.  Unless JJ is now going to just be hurt all the time, he will still be a productive player for a couple of seasons one would hope.  Wallace sucks.  Maybe the go after Gasol, or call about Love, but not sure where they can really improve.  Its obvious they need some shooters, and the owner doesnt care about money, so that helps but it will be interesting to see where they go.

^Good posts, except for my homie Blackout.

Bottom line, Lopez has to show up every night for the Nets to win. You're both right that Deron is overrated, but he's good enough to win his matchup every night if he gets help. It sucks having to sit and hope that Lopez doesn't go into a shell when somebody puts an elbow into his chest. Seen it too many times. Talented dude, but a pansy.

Honestly, I'm not worried about it. The Nets are still two moves away from being taken seriously, and I don't know how much they'll gain by getting swept by the Heat. Couple that with my healthy respect for what this Bulls team is doing right now, and I'm not too invested in who wins tonight. It's be nice, if only to keep Knicks fans from mother****jng my team all summer, but I'm already looking to 2013-2014. New coach, hopefully a few new, tough veterans to supplement what is really a soft Nets core, and I'll be more excited. Thanks to SMC and qxtsbj, I've given up on my Brook-for-Howard dreams, but I'd have to believe there are other routes to bringing in some horses. Maybe Billy King gets KG and Paul Pierce to come here for a year to teach Deron and Brook how to win.

Honestly, I'm not worried about it. The Nets are still two moves away from being taken seriously, and I don't know how much they'll gain by getting swept by the Heat. Couple that with my healthy respect for what this Bulls team is doing right now, and I'm not too invested in who wins tonight. It's be nice, if only to keep Knicks fans from mother****jng my team all summer, but I'm already looking to 2013-2014. New coach, hopefully a few new, tough veterans to supplement what is really a soft Nets core, and I'll be more excited. Thanks to SMC and qxtsbj, I've given up on my Brook-for-Howard dreams, but I'd have to believe there are other routes to bringing in some horses. Maybe Billy King gets KG and Paul Pierce to come here for a year to teach Deron and Brook how to win.

Mike Dantoni would do Brook for Howard right now

Archived