Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you, having Cro was a huge difference maker against the Colts compared to 2009 when we had Lito on the bench, and Strickland and Lowery (I believe) getting hurt.  That's the point though, while that was obviously some bad luck there too, it points out the fact that you can't really heap all of the credit onto Revis for being able to shut down Manning a year later, since he wasn't previously able to do it without enough other help.  If anything, it gives that much more credence to the argument that as great as he may be, his value is limited by the fact that he can simply be avoided by a quality QB.  There's a whole lot of questions that come into play when you need another Top 10 CB to be your #2 in order to actually get the value that allegedly comes with Revis.

I'm not even really trying to argue with you here, as I know you aren't against the move the Jets' made, but it's more simply saying that I think it's a bit much to even try to credit him that much for overall defensive performances like that, because the evidence would seem to suggest it takes a lot more than just him to accomplish that.

agreed .

What would be wonderful is if we can get a passrusher as elite as Revis was at corner because that type of pressure on a QB makes the CB's look that much better :) then we can all be happy Jets fans LOL

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that as soon as Revis had his first All-Pro year, he didn't threaten to walk out when his contract was up, he actually refused to play for the Jets even while still under contract, the same contract he held out for in the first place.  There's no evidence to suggest JJ Watt is going to do that and that's despite the fact that he actually picked up the DPOY last year on top of that, something Revis has never done.

The DPOY award should have been awarded to Revis rather than Woodson a couple years back.  

They play: Jets, pats, Cards, Eagles, Seattle, Miami, Detroit, Buffalo, San Fran, St. Louis. Have to go to NE and Seattle, but play San Fran at home. Rest of those games should be cake.

And what has New Orleans done this offseason to make people think they've gotten better? Sean Payton and Rob Ryan don't automatically make that defense not terrible.

While I suppose it could prove to be wrong, I think the general opinion is that NO was a complete sh*t-show given what happened last year, between their entire coaching staff being torn apart and ongoing issues throughout the season with a number of their players.  So the idea being that, just without those factors in place, it will be a boost to the Saints.  Even if not, I think at best the Bucs would still be fighting Saints for 2nd place and that's when you have to consider that, even despite all of that garbage last season, NO still beat the living crap out of the Bucs last year.  I suppose we'll see and I could certainly be wrong, but I think the Bucs have plenty to prove before there's much reason for anyone to consider them a real threat.

Yeah. He totally had the Jets over the coals when he held out for that extension.

if sanchez was 25 out of 32 in terms of starting QBs (rather than 32 out of 32), we would've had at least one ring in the past 4 years and probably would've been in the playoffs the past two years. perennial contenders don't dump once-in-a-lifetime players.

A source close to new Bucs CB Darrelle Revis believes the Jets are "not
committed to winning."

It's not a surprise a player who's just been traded isn't
oozing praise for his ex-club, but the Revis saga has painted a troubling
picture for Gang Green. Jets football people are very much committed to
winning, but owner Woody Johnson's refusal to even consider paying his
best player — and the best defensive back in the league — was all along
baffling. Johnson has taken on an increasingly vocal role in the past year,
which is never a good sign. The Jets will have a hard time ever eclipsing
division kingpin New England if Johnson doesn't soon take a cue from Pats
counterpart Robert Kraft and leave football decisions to his football people.

The DPOY award should have been awarded to Revis rather than Woodson a couple years back.  

That's certainly a fair argument, but even still, if Watt doesn't hold out this year, there's really no comparison of the two situations.  And that's before you even get into things like Revis holding out for his rookie deal before that or faking injuries in mini-camp.

Except that as soon as Revis had his first All-Pro year, he didn't threaten to walk out when his contract was up, he actually refused to play for the Jets even while still under contract, the same contract he held out for in the first place.  There's no evidence to suggest JJ Watt is going to do that and that's despite the fact that he actually picked up the DPOY last year on top of that, something Revis has never done.

First off: not that it matters at all but Revis got jobbed on the DPOY in 09 and everyone knows it.

Watt could hold out if he wanted.  He just hasn't.  I don't have a philosophical problem with players holding out on contracts they've outperformed.  

At the same time I am glad that the Jets didn't give him a 16 million dollar a year contract.  He's gone and although I'll miss seeing him in green, I'm happy that the team got some compensation for his inevitable departure.

A source close to new Bucs CB Darrelle Revis believes the Jets are "not

committed to winning."

It's not a surprise a player who's just been traded isn't

oozing praise for his ex-club, but the Revis saga has painted a troubling

picture for Gang Green. Jets football people are very much committed to

winning, but owner Woody Johnson's refusal to even consider paying his

best player — and the best defensive back in the league — was all along

baffling. Johnson has taken on an increasingly vocal role in the past year,

which is never a good sign. The Jets will have a hard time ever eclipsing

division kingpin New England if Johnson doesn't soon take a cue from Pats

counterpart Robert Kraft and leave football decisions to his football people.

New England cuts guys who either want big money or are making big money they are smart

The Jets trade Revis and they are not commited to winning.

am I missing something here ?

Tampa Bay dictated the terms of the deal and the JETS fell in line. Heck of a job negotiating, Idzik!

Link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130422/darrelle-revis-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_t11_a5&eref=sihp#all

Relevant Excerpt:

The compensation was next. The Jets at one point in the negotiations
wanted three picks for Revis -- first-, third-, and fifth-round picks.
A
week ago, Dominik said he didn't think the deal would get done. But a
source with knowledge of the talks said Dominik dug in and drew the line
at two picks, and gave the Jets a deadline to get the deal done.

(SI.com could not determine what the deadline was, but it had to be some
time in the last few days.) Another source said Jets GM John Idzik knew
coach Rex Ryan didn't want to trade Revis, and was hoping against hope
owner Woody Johnson would reconsider his stance about paying Revis a
rich contract to keep him in New York. But that wasn't going to happen
... and Dominik knew he had a solid position. Because the Jets couldn't
franchise Revis after the last year of his deal this season, they had to
either trade him before the October deadline or get nothing for him but
a compensatory draft choice in the 2015 draft.

Tampa Bay dictated the terms of the deal and the JETS fell in line. Heck of a job negotiating, Idzik!

Link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130422/darrelle-revis-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_t11_a5&eref=sihp#all

Relevant Excerpt:

The compensation was next. The Jets at one point in the negotiations

wanted three picks for Revis -- first-, third-, and fifth-round picks. A

week ago, Dominik said he didn't think the deal would get done. But a

source with knowledge of the talks said Dominik dug in and drew the line

at two picks, and gave the Jets a deadline to get the deal done.

(SI.com could not determine what the deadline was, but it had to be some

time in the last few days.) Another source said Jets GM John Idzik knew

coach Rex Ryan didn't want to trade Revis, and was hoping against hope

owner Woody Johnson would reconsider his stance about paying Revis a

rich contract to keep him in New York. But that wasn't going to happen

... and Dominik knew he had a solid position. Because the Jets couldn't

franchise Revis after the last year of his deal this season, they had to

either trade him before the October deadline or get nothing for him but

a compensatory draft choice in the 2015 draft.

I missed the part of the article that says how for over a month TB refused to part with their #13 pick and we got it anyway.  Oh wait, I forgot. It's Peter King.

New England cuts guys who either want big money or are making big money they are smart

The Jets trade Revis and they are not commited to winning.

am I missing something here ?

Who cares. Everything depends on last year's record. The media bias and "sources" come with the territory. 

One thing that can't and/or shouldn't be overlooked in all this is, even with the most devout, passionate Jets fan, Woody Johnson is a complete buffoon. As much as one would like to stick up for their own team, it is hard at times when the owner is actually, an idiot. 

How do you figure that? They didn't want to give up this year's first rounder. 

That's called posturing. Start from the bottom basement and move your way up. In any negotiation thats very common. The Bucs would have known right from the start  what they wanted to give and drew a line there. The JETS fell in line!

I missed the part of the article that says how for over a month TB refused to part with their #13 pick and we got it anyway.  Oh wait, I forgot. It's Peter King.

Which month was that ? Right at the beginning of the negotiation. The Bucs were low balling the JETS but i am sure they must have known what they were willing to pay for this trade right from the start. And they did. They drew a line in sand and waited for Idzik to blink. And blink he did!

That's called posturing. Start from the bottom basement and move your way up. In any negotiation thats very common. The Bucs would have known right from the start  what they wanted to give and drew a line there. The JETS fell in line!

So with Idzik it's his true wishes but with TB it's posturing.  Got it.

Why didn't anyone else jump in and swipe Revis away when TB was only offering a 2 this year and a conditional 4th next year?

Revis on WFAN right now with Mike

Francesa is such a good on-the-fly interviewer. No prep and he's asking all the important questions. This one is the sizzler, imo

Q: Would you have played for the Jets for the same contract?

Revis: If the Jets offered that, yes.

Francesa is such a good on-the-fly interviewer. No prep and he's asking all the important questions. This one is the sizzler, imo

Q: Would you have played for the Jets for the same contract?

Revis: If the Jets offered that, yes.

Jets never sat down with Revis' people about a contract.

Woody wanted him gone at all costs it seems.

Which month was that ? Right at the beginning of the negotiation. The Bucs were low balling the JETS but i am sure they must have known what they were willing to pay for this trade right from the start. And they did. They drew a line in sand and waited for Idzik to blink. And blink he did!

lol

First of all, you're just wrong.

So GM JetsFanInDenver would have ended up keeping him for 1 more year and then lose him for nothing.  Just to show he didn't blink which no one thinks he did.  But like Carolina with Peppers or Houston with Mario, you'll get to say you "didn't blink" or some other silliness.

He took the best offer we could get.  Only TB was stupid enough to make this move.  Tampa made their top offer and he tried to get more.  The other 30 teams all privately laughed to themselves and stayed out of it.  And if even 1 other team had any desire to trade for and pay Revis, we might have gotten more.  But no one else wanted him at the price it cost.

Thankfully, neither did the Jets.

The only thing sucky is that Revis wants that kind of compensation.  I'd rather have him here in a cap-free world.  But given the choices, I like the choice we made.

Obviously irrelevant.  However, the fact that the Jets did not get an additional 5th round pick clearly spells the end of the world.  How can you not see that?

I was just listening to Fat**** and was listening to Casserly talk earlier on the NFL Network about, "having to sell something to the fans". About PR and how to generate excitement within the fan base via "said" player or players. 

I don't get this. Especially in the NFL. MLB or NBA I get it. But in the NFL does any fan care about anything else but winning?

This concept that the fans need the big player flash to sell tickets. Does anyone here agree? I feel like it's utter nonsense. 

Winning cures all, no.

Or am I wrong? Would 6-10 with Peyton Manning sell more tickets than 13-3 with Carson Palmer? I don't get it. 

if sanchez was 25 out of 32 in terms of starting QBs (rather than 32 out of 32), we would've had at least one ring in the past 4 years and probably would've been in the playoffs the past two years. perennial contenders don't dump once-in-a-lifetime players.

Probably not last year. But I am failing to draw the point here. You said it's Sanchez' fault. He didn't request the contract extension. I'm not sure how this is his fault.

I was just listening to Fat**** and was listening to Casserly talk earlier on the NFL Network about, "having to sell something to the fans". About PR and how to generate excitement within the fan base via "said" player or players. 

I don't get this. Especially in the NFL. MLB or NBA I get it. But in the NFL does any fan care about anything else but winning?

This concept that the fans need the big player flash to sell tickets. Does anyone here agree? I feel like it's utter nonsense. 

Winning cure all, no.

Or am I wrong? Would 6-10 with Peyton Manning sell more tickets than 13-3 with Carson Palmer? I don't get it. 

CItifield will be sold out for the next 10 years because of Harvey. At least according to Mike.

So just to make sure I've got this right, the newest theory is that the Bucs giving up a pick that was said for a month to not be something they were willing to part with, but rather they'd only give up a pick that was a round later or next year, was brilliant because they must have planned to do that all along, but the Jets getting a 5th round pick less than their reported asking price is them getting screwed over, because clearly the Jets never had any intentions of even slightly negotiating the trade parameters at all?  Do I have that right?  That theory is certainly... unique.

Probably not last year. But I am failing to draw the point here. You said it's Sanchez' fault. He didn't request the contract extension. I'm not sure how this is his fault.

It is his fault. If he wasn't horrendous we wouldn't be rebuilding right now, we would be trying to win it all during the window that would exist if he was even Trent dilferesque. So it is his fault. Completely and utterly. His final victim will be Rex Ryan.

So with Idzik it's his true wishes but with TB it's posturing.  Got it.

Why didn't anyone else jump in and swipe Revis away when TB was only offering a 2 this year and a conditional 4th next year?

Come on I din't have to give you a primer on negotiating deals.

Does not matter if anyone was interested or not. It was a game of blink and Idzik blinked first.

lol

First of all, you're just wrong.

So GM JetsFanInDenver would have ended up keeping him for 1 more year and then lose him for nothing.  Just to show he didn't blink which no one thinks he did.  But like Carolina with Peppers or Houston with Mario, you'll get to say you "didn't blink" or some other silliness.

He took the best offer we could get.  Only TB was stupid enough to make this move.  Tampa made their top offer and he tried to get more.  The other 30 teams all privately laughed to themselves and stayed out of it.  And if even 1 other team had any desire to trade for and pay Revis, we might have gotten more.  But no one else wanted him at the price it cost.

Thankfully, neither did the Jets.

The only thing sucky is that Revis wants that kind of compensation.  I'd rather have him here in a cap-free world.  But given the choices, I like the choice we made.

I am just a mere fan so no i am not a GM. But as an individual consultant i have been part of several negotiations.

You can believe all you want and that ok if helps you sleep thinking the JETS got the best deal. But they did not.

One thing i have seen in negotiations is whenever someone draws a line in sand and sets a deadline and ends up getting the deal done they have won and paid less that they intended to. This posturing is a usually a bluff and Idzik fell for it. Period.

Winning cures all, no.

100% spot on.  Like anyone goes to a game to watch a corner play.  He's not Deion.  He's not making unreal sh*t happen every time he touches the ball.  Hell, 90% of the time the team throws in a different direction.  So you're just watching him run along side another large man, yipee!!!

I could understand this logic if we're talking about a skills position.  I mean, I like to going Jags games when a team with a special player is in town and the Jets arent on at the same time...but that player is 99% of the time on offense.

Its all about winning.  Nobody cares about the player.  Maybe chicks do.  I dunno.

Winning cures all, no.

When was the last time Manning had a losing season as a QB?   His first or second year?   If you have a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc it seems those guys give you a chance.     That's what sells tickets.    The Broncos gave Manning big bucks because they expect to win a super bowl.  Rodgers will get 25 Million per year because the Packers expect to win a super bowl.     That's what always sells.   

Teams with HOF like QBs seem to win super bowls more often than not.  Flacco isn't one of those QBs, but the past two postseasons he's had HOF like numbers in the postseason.    A QB that has 11 TDs and 0 INTs in one postseason deserves to be paid a ton of money.

I have no clue what the Jets are trying to sell. It's not rebuilding, but there is nobody on this team who gives you hope for the future.   So if you aren't a super bowl contender, it's hope that sells.  The Cam newtons, RG3s, Lucks, etc.   I don't like Geno Smith, but he's a guy that teams draft and fans have hope.   Hope that he becomes great.    A team who drafts a Guard kind of means its a no risk we don't know if we'll ever win kind of thing.    The Jets took two good OL in the first round,  and it hasn't translated into that many winning seasons.

Archived