Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

Nothing, but then they get nothing if he decides to hold out. They've essentially admitted to going all in for the next couple of years, If he threatens to sit the entire year, I would imagine they'd be hard-pressed not to do something to get him to play.  Given his history, I just don't see this guy having a spectacular year and then suiting up for zero long-term security, especially after he now knows how quick one's career can end.  I could be wrong and he honors it, but nothing he's done thus far as lead me to believe he'll honor this contract if he dominates this year.

I'm just saying the only way Revis is ever a free agent again is:

1. when he's worth less money and that's when Tampa cuts him (assuming Revis turns down a pay cut request)

2. when they have enough other players to pay (like extending Freeman, like when VJ's base salary jumps from <$1M to $10M which it does next year, Nicks' base salary jumping from <$1M to $7M which it does next year, and other draftees they would otherwise lose).

My guess is that if he stays healthy they'll keep him for 2 or 3 seasons.  

CLARK JUDGE
Senior NFL Columnist

With trade of Revis, Jets' Idzik passes his first test April 21, 2013 5:59 pm ET

img22114399.jpgJets GM John Idzik has demonstrated he may be the guy to turn the Jets into more than a punch line. (USATSI)

I don't know much about John Idzik, general manager of the New York Jets, but already I like what he's doing.

Specifically, I like how he made the best out of a bad situation when he traded away cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Bucs. It's not only that he solved a headache that wouldn't go away -- with Revis demanding the Jets pay Revis top dollar or else; it's what he gained in return.

The Bucs' first-round pick this year and a conditional fourth in 2014.

OK, I know what you're thinking: That's not a lot for the best cornerback in the game, but, in this instance, yes, as a matter of fact it is. That's because of the extenuating circumstances that made this such a difficult and complicated deal for Idzik.

Yet, he pulled it off, and if this is a sign of what's to come the Jets are in good hands. Here's why:

• First of all, Revis is coming off a major knee injury that makes his future uncertain. That's an issue that lessened his value.

• Second, he wanted top dollar, not just as a cornerback but as a defensive player -- which means he wanted Mario Williams money. And he reportedly got it with a six-year, $96 million deal.

• Third, because of a provision in Revis' contract, if the Jets didn't renegotiate the deal and he didn't hold out, he could have walked after the 2013 season ... with the club unable to protect him with the franchise tag. Worse, because of a quirk in the contract's structure, the club would have absorbed a $9 million hit in dead money.

• Fourth, there's a very real question of Revis' value to the team. With him in 2011, they won eight games; without him in 2012, they won six -- or only two fewer. Plus, there was only one team last year that didn't allow a 100-yard receiver, and it was the Jets ... sans Darrelle Revis.

But this is Darrelle Revis, you say, the best frickin' player on the New York Jets' roster. You absolutely, positively, do not get rid of your best players, right? Wrong. Not here, not now. Because even with a healthy Darrelle Revis, the Jets are not a playoff team. In fact, they're not even close, with many already picking them and Oakland as favorites to compete for the first overall pick in the 2014 draft.

That would make the Jets ... uh-huh, a tear-down project, with Idzik hired to overhaul the team and somehow, some way, turn it into a winner again. That won't happen overnight, and it definitely wasn't going to happen this season with Darrelle Revis on the field.

So you do what you must ... which is get something for him while you can, and it's a testament to Idzik's patience and resolve that he was able to gain Tampa Bay's first-round choice this year. Some GMs I consulted said they wouldn't surrender a first-rounder, period, for Revis, partially because of his contract demands and partially because of the knee injury. Their point: For the money he's demanding, you could get two cornerbacks who can start.

But Idzik did, and he did it while everyone knew the score: He absolutely had to make a move, otherwise lose leverage with this week's draft. Nevertheless, he didn't panic when reports circulated that the Bucs were reluctant to trade away this year's first-rounder, hoping that something would happen that would extricate him and the Jets.

Well, something did. The Bucs blinked, and Idzik got what he wanted. Good for him. Now he can do what he should be doing all along ... which is to stop concentrating on what happens with a cornerback who wasn't in his future anyway and start rebuilding the New York Jets.

Nice move, John. You lost a good player, but you gained something more in return: a chance to start making the New York Jets into a better football team.

Unguaranteed money except for Year 1 means Revis is about to become the 21st Century Deion. He will be a mercenary and Tampa is stop one, if he stacys healthy. It was done here. Idzik did the best you could hope. The Jets would've  probably signed up a nice guarantee for 3 or even 4 years.But that's not what he wanted. I wish him well, but he will learn someday this is a mistake.

That or he never returns to form or gets hurt again. And then we can laugh and laugh about how ******* stupid and arrogant he and his agents were. 

A 1st and a 3rd for $16M of damaged goods and offseason turmoil is NOT getting fleeced. It's awesome is what it is! :)

It's not a 3rd if he is damaged goods.  If Revis is not Revis next year or just can't play,  the Jets get a 4th.

But either way, it's a 1st and 2014  4th/3rd.

The bigger question becomes what can the Jets do with their draft picks this year and what can they do with them next year?

It's only a fleecing if Revis helps the Bucs make the playoffs and win in the playoffs and the Jets wind up drafting another Sanchez and Gholston and nobody else.

Edited by pedro55

Unguaranteed money except for Year 1 means Revis is about to become the 21st Century Deion. He will be a mercenary and Tampa is stop one, if he stacys healthy. It was done here. Idzik did the best you could hope. The Jets would've  probably signed up a nice guarantee for 3 or even 4 years.But that's not what he wanted. I wish him well, but he will learn someday this is a mistake.

Yup.  Once Tampa gets into a bit of cap trouble, or has a 6-10 season, I think Revis is one of the first to go.  I give this 3 years max.

It's not a 3rd if he is damaged goods.  If Revis is not Revis next year or just can't play,  the Jets get a 4th.

But either way, it's a 1st and 2014  4th/3rd.

The bigger question becomes what can the Jets do with their draft picks this year and what can they do with them next year?

It's only a fleecing if Revis helps the Bucs make the playoffs and win in the playoffs and the Jets wind up drafting another Sanchez and Gholston and nobody else.

Well the condition is "if he's on the roster", I think? So even if he sucks next year my guess is, even if it's just to save face, he'd still make their roster. It would only be if he was totally out of football. All intents it's most likely a 3rd. 

Revis wanted to stay in New York from all reports. His camp even throwing insults at the Jets seems to show that he's a little bit bitter about being traded. 

So cute listening to Rex talk about how he was involved in every step of the trade, and how he endorsed it, and how he can't wait to get out there and show 'em. Oh, Rex. Rex, Rex, Rex.

What else can the guy say.   He's the Jets HC. He's not going to bash the new GM.  He's not going to say everybody else on this team sucks.

And Rex is a guy who is overconfident in his defensive abilities no matter who he has on the team. Last year they didn't have Revis for most of the season and the Jets defense didn't suddenly become one of the worst in the NFL.  Was it as good?  No, but Rex knows how to coach a defense.   

Revis wanted to stay in New York from all reports. His camp even throwing insults at the Jets seems to show that he's a little bit bitter about being traded.

Lies. He wanted to get paid and that's it. You can tell by the contract he signed today. All he ever cared about was getting paid.

Lies. He wanted to get paid and that's it. You can tell by the contract he signed today. All he ever cared about was getting paid.

Exactly.  If the Jets offered him 6 years and 96 million, he'd have jumped for joy.   If the Jets didn't', he'd have walked for the most money next season.

The Jets would have looked bad if Revis signed some 5 year 60 million contract.  But 6 years and 96 million and no guarantees, it's more like the Revis camp are arrogant and greedy all in one.

He definitely wants to get paid, but I take it his dream situation would be to get paid as a Jet.

I don't believe most of these players anymore.    I mean Favre's dream situation would have been to remain a Packer too, until he retired, then un-retired, then retired, then played for the jets, then retired, then un-retired, then played for the Vikings.  Then retire or spoke of retiring, then came back, etc etc etc.

Revis is just like any other greedy player. He'd go to whatever team paid the most.  And what would he say next year when he jumped to the team that paid him the most money in free agency?  "Oh I wanted to remain a Jet, but they didn't pay me."   Yeah right.   It's like the Elvis crap in denver.   The agent got fired and 'faxed' over some contract a few minutes late so it wasn't valid.     Don't believe most of these players.   Most of them dont' even live in the cities they play. 

Revis lives where?  South Florida most of the time.    

The Jets needed to get at least 2 starters out of this trade.  I'd like to wait until after next year to see what becomes of this 4th/3rd rounder, but the odds of finding a starter out of such a pick isn't great.  As such, this does not look like a good trade for the Jets.

So, I take it that Revis is going to be taken down from the Jetnation banner. This is a sad day.

If they do trade the 9 & 13 picks down,  who are they going to put up as 'their star?"  I mean Tebow is a goner and Sanchez.. Everybody wishes he were gone.  

Disgusting. 

We're directly replacing him with a rookie. The lack of picks makes this really hard to swallow.

**** this franchise.

More like Kyle Wilson will be replacing Cromartie and Cromartie will be replacing Revis.   After that.. who knows.    I really hope they don't pick a CB in the first round.  That would just be stupid.

Disgusting. 

We're directly replacing him with a rookie. The lack of picks makes this really hard to swallow.

**** this franchise.

I expect more from you.

It's not about pick quantity, it's about pick value. Would you be happier if we got a 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year? Because combined, those are still all worth less than the #13 and a 4th next year. A lot less.

If we trade the #9 pick now, we could net a late 1st and a 3rd... the results would be by trading Revis we move from #9 to #13, and gain a late 1st, a 3rd and a 2014 conditional 4th. 

Veterans don't typically fetch 1st rounders, let along 1st's just outside the top 10. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah. He totally had the Jets over the coals when he held out for that extension.

I don't think Sanchez has anything to do with Revis. If Sanchez wasn't being paid anything and they cut him or traded him, they still trade Revis.

Revis is gone because of Revis and Woody,  not because of Sanchez.    It would be nice for Sanchez to have been cut/traded, but we are stuck with him for another year.   Lets just hope its not one of those, "sanchez had 16 TDs and 11 INT) seasons where he didn't look bad, but didnt' look good, but he looked good enough to where they think he should come back for another season.

I loved Pennington, but the Jets and Chad seemed to go on for years in a scenario where we knew he wasn't going to win anything, but would have an ok season or he'd not get hurt in week 2, and so on.  Sanchez doesn't have the injury issues, but he has the turnover and suck issues.    

The only way that goes away is if they actually draft a QB.     If they dont do that this year, it becomes will they draft a QB next year.  ANd if there is no Teddy Ballgame coming out or if the Jets wind up 5-11 and are picking #8 or 9,  then what?    AJ McCarron? No thanks.