Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

The Jets needed to get at least 2 starters out of this trade.  I'd like to wait until after next year to see what becomes of this 4th/3rd rounder, but the odds of finding a starter out of such a pick isn't great.  As such, this does not look like a good trade for the Jets.

with 16m next year,the jets could get 3 starters for that kinda money,1 for sure starter with the 13th pic,and a possible starter with the 3rd next year.4, possibly 5 starters by trading revis.depends on how you look at it

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax Ladies. Its better than getting nothing for him. Plus now Idzick can turn the 9th and 13 picks into some more conditional picks. You know for all you Negative Nellies to fret over. Get over it. Friggin Jets been pissing me off for effin decades.

I expect more from you.

It's not about pick quantity, it's about pick value. Would you be happier if we got a 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year? Because combined, those are still all worth less than the #13 and a 4th next year. A lot less.

If we trade the #9 pick now, we could net a late 1st and a 3rd... the results would be by trading Revis we move from #9 to #13, and gain a late 1st, a 3rd and a 2014 conditional 4th. 

Veterans don't typically fetch 1st rounders, let along 1st's just outside the top 10. 

This doesn't mean anything.   It's a bunch of pointless numbers.    It's the players they pick with those picks that matter.  

They could trade the #9 for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and next years 2nd and 3rd.   If that 9 becomes a pro bowl HOF while all the Jets picks become burn outs that never start,  who was smarter?

The Jets have been horrible when it comes to picking players outside the first round over the years.  Or they find somebody with potential and then let them walk after a few years.   Or they wind up overvaluing the player and overpaying them to some ridiculous salary just because of how bad the history has been with their drafts.  Hell, the Jets first round picks haven't been that impressive over the years either.

If the Jets know they want certain players later in the draft, that's great.  But if its just about some blind hope that a couple of players might be there, then its stupid.   I dont want to see the Jets trading 9 & 13 for 25 or something and a few other 3rd and 4th rounders and wind up taking some Guard.  While the team they traded with gets a guy who becomes a star.

I mean we all think Sanchez sucks, but the Jets traded their 17th, their 2nd rounder(52), and players to move up to #5 to get their QB.  

You would think giving up that much for Sanchez, considering how much he sucks, would have benefited the Browns.  Except they drafted a guy who was cut in 2010,  traded down again and drafted an OL who has become a pro bowler.  But the Browns still stink.  And the players like Elam, Coleman, etc aren't even on the team anymore.   Trading down doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Relax Ladies. Its better than getting nothing for him. Plus now Idzick can turn the 9th and 13 picks into some more conditional picks. You know for all you Negative Nellies to fret over. Get over it. Friggin Jets been pissing me off for effin decades.

its about quality players, not quantity.  I'd rather them draft two pro bowl players at 9 & 13, then guys who get cut from the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

its about quality players, not quantity.  I'd rather them draft two pro bowl players at 9 & 13, then guys who get cut from the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

That's what every Jet fan should want, but the 9th pick was already theirs.  The issue is only getting the 13th.  The Jets needed a 2nd or 3rd rounder to secure another starter.

Lies. He wanted to get paid and that's it. You can tell by the contract he signed today. All he ever cared about was getting paid.

His actions say it was all about the money. There's nothing wrong with that , but he should be honest that cash is what matters to him most. He will become Deon chasing a ring and cash every year looking for the most money or the best shot. He might be able to BS reporters but the facts speak way louder.

He was a great corner. He may still be again, But he may not be coming off surgery and his salary demands are for a QB, not a corner.

The reality was he was leaving after the season because of money, greed, arrogance, Woody, etc. People didn't want to accept that. 

So they get a 3rd next year and a first this year instead of just a possible 3rd in 2015.       And even with Revis this season,  the Jets are still a bad team.  Does it really matter to keep him around  for one more year to go 5-11 instead of 4-12 and then lose him for nothing?

I think Idzik did well with this trade. Woody Johnson did not want to pay Revis so Idzik had no choice but to deal him. There weren't many suitors out there for various reasons. Most likely teams didn't want to pay him $16M a year - guaranteed money or not or they just didn't want to give up decent picks for him. If getting the #13 pick in the first round and a 4th rounder (which will most likely turn into a 3rd next year) was the best that was out there, then Idzik did fine. That's better than getting just a 3rd rounder if the Jets did nothing and Revis walked after the season. Who knows what will happen now. Maybe Idzik will draft players at 9 and 13. Maybe he'll trade down and acquire more picks. Time to be patient and see how this plays out. For now, let's believe in our GM and his plan for the team.

Darrelle Revis: My six years with Jets were unbelievable

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT

x350-21-e1366586812780.jpg?w=209AP

Someone in Darrelle Revis
camp reportedly had some salt to throw into the Jets’ wounds after the
trade with the Buccaneers was finalized on Sunday, but Revis himself had
a more charitable way of saying goodbye.

Revis, the team’s first-round pick in 2007, spent six years with the
Jets and ranks with Joe Klecko as one of the most decorated defensive
players in the history of the franchise. It was a complicated
relationship, with two holdouts and the little dance both sides did
before the deal with the Buccaneers was done, but the higher points were
what Revis concentrated on in his farewell.

“I been sitting around for
the last hour trying to figure out what to say to the Jet Nation & I
came up with this. The six years I played for the New York Jets were
unbelievable. I put my body on the line everyday & did everything
could to help the team win. I experienced a lot & & learned a
lot. The memories I had in New York I will keep dearly to my heart. I
want to thank all the jets fans for making me feel welcome,” Revis wrote
on Sunday evening.

The ending was ugly, but that tends to be the case in the NFL and the
constant contract issues made this divorce seem more inevitable than
most even before Revis tore his ACL during a sinking Jets season. Both
sides were well prepared to move on without the other, although it might
take the Jets a bit longer to find their way back to a winning record.

Screw this clown.  Every player puts their body on the line and do it for far less than 16 Million.  Had he not been so damn greedy he could have still had more money than he could ever spend and be on the team he supposedly loved.

Hit the bricks.

The NFL is all about money its a business for everyone right down to the hot dog vendors and the team owners. Revis did nothing wrong he wanted money like everyone else affiliated with the NFL. I don't hate Revis for what he did I hate the fact the Jets are so poorly mismanaged and allowed this to happen.

That's what every Jet fan should want, but the 9th pick was already theirs.  The issue is only getting the 13th.  The Jets needed a 2nd or 3rd rounder to secure another starter.

They can get that by trading down a little from #13 but staying in the top 20.  I keep hearing everyone tell me that there's no dropoff in talent from the top 10 down to the mid-20s.  A team with a specific need (a specific player targeted) might be willing to trade up.  The Jets have so many needs it wouldn't matter what position they take as long as he's a good one.  

So if BPA at 18-22 is the same as the BPA in the 9-13 range, then you find the team who wants to trade up for their guy and claim that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Or just 3-5 slots and pick up a 3rd rounder this year that can turn into a 2nd rounder next year.  Lots of ways to be creative if you're looking to deal.

Every year they say that this year it's going to be hard to trade down after a certain player is already gone & every year it happens anyway.

They can get that by trading down a little from #13 but staying in the top 20.  I keep hearing everyone tell me that there's no dropoff in talent from the top 10 down to the mid-20s.  A team with a specific need (a specific player targeted) might be willing to trade up.  The Jets have so many needs it wouldn't matter what position they take as long as he's a good one.  

So if BPA at 18-22 is the same as the BPA in the 9-13 range, then you find the team who wants to trade up for their guy and claim that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Or just 3-5 slots and pick up a 3rd rounder this year that can turn into a 2nd rounder next year.  Lots of ways to be creative if you're looking to deal.

Every year they say that this year it's going to be hard to trade down after a certain player is already gone & every year it happens anyway.

This only works if you don't have any player in mind and think you can get the same positions at 20 compared to 9 or 13.   And add a 3rd or what to the mix.

I have no issues with that, but if there is a thought that instead of just 1 pick, you can get 3, it becomes an issue considering the history of the Jets picks in the 2nd round.   So historically speaking, the Jets would trade the #13 for the #20 and get nothing in return.  Whats the point in that but saving money?

If the Jets trade down, probably very unlikely they get a guy anytime soon.  I mean Mangold is a pro bowl center, been a great pick at the end of the first round, and nobody really cares about the guy or puts him on posters.    He's a center.   

good pionts all.  we won't be reading this tomorrow in NY or course.  can you imagine if the jets gave revis 6/96 ?  idzik would get killed.  so if you are going to get killed either way, blow it up and start over.  I bet he trades down. 

and I hope all the corners are still there at 13, lol

Except no team in the league was willing to give up that much to get him, so what would you have had them do?  The other choices were letting him walk in a year or hand him a new contract that pays him $16 million / year.  Both would have been far worse options than the deal they got.  Not to mention, in all likelihood they will have the 3rd rounder you think they should have gotten when all is said and done with that comp pick next year.

This only works if you don't have any player in mind and think you can get the same positions at 20 compared to 9 or 13.   And add a 3rd or what to the mix.

I have no issues with that, but if there is a thought that instead of just 1 pick, you can get 3, it becomes an issue considering the history of the Jets picks in the 2nd round.   So historically speaking, the Jets would trade the #13 for the #20 and get nothing in return.  Whats the point in that but saving money?

The prior GMs making bad picks is not a reason to not get good value the way others do.  There is nothing inherently wrong with the 2nd round just because Tannenbaum & Bradway picked some pretty bad & underperforming players with it.  I don't see Idzik taking a kicker with our 2nd rounder is kind of what I'm getting at.  But maybe that's just the optimism that comes with dumping a GM I'd grown tired of, since I know little about Idzik.  I like the way he handled the Revis trade.  I wish we could have gotten more, but feel we got the top offer possible.  We weren't re-signing him to a stupid contract like that and while it's technically possible to get more later, I like that we have certainty now of what we have to work with and doubt we would have gotten much more if we ended up getting more at all.

Except no team in the league was willing to give up that much to get him, so what would you have had them do?  The other choices were letting him walk in a year or hand him a new contract that pays him $16 million / year.  Both would have been far worse options than the deal they got.  Not to mention, in all likelihood they will have the 3rd rounder you think they should have gotten when all is said and done with that comp pick next year.

my mother always told me "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.nothing more"

The prior GMs making bad picks is not a reason to not get good value the way others do.  There is nothing inherently wrong with the 2nd round just because Tannenbaum & Bradway picked some pretty bad & underperforming players with it.  I don't see Idzik taking a kicker with our 2nd rounder is kind of what I'm getting at.  But maybe that's just the optimism that comes with dumping a GM I'd grown tired of, since I know little about Idzik.  I like the way he handled the Revis trade.  I wish we could have gotten more, but feel we got the top offer possible.  We weren't re-signing him to a stupid contract like that and while it's technically possible to get more later, I like that we have certainty now of what we have to work with and doubt we would have gotten much more if we ended up getting more at all.

It's not just a Tanny & Bradway thing.  If you look at the Jets 2nd round picks all the way back into the 80's, it doesn't get much better. Sometimes worse. So many different regimes have done horribly when it comes to drafting players.     And thats over almost 30 years.  And if you look around the league, it's not like many of these teams always do great jobs.    There is a reason why a lot of teams just stink for years.  Look at the Bills.   

Will Idzik be like that? Who knows. All we know so far is that he knows how to cut salaries and not add salaries.   Demolition is far easier than building something from scratch.    For me, I would think there has to be some plan, whether thats trading down or not, of getting a certain few players.  If it seems more like darts being thrown at a dart board and just accumulating more picks, I'd be worried.     If it's more about trading #13 for #19 and a 3rd rounder, and they pick up a player they want at 19 and they pick up a potential starter in the third round, i'd be happy.   If it's trade #13 for #19 and a 3rd rounder in 2014, i'd start to worry.    You can't just keep pushing things off till next year either.

so the jets have

overall pick

if they turn that into

9,20,39,60,72,106  that would be my style, that's what I want to see.  basically 6 picks in the first 100. 

Again, these are just numbers on a dart board.   Who they pick is what matters, not how many they pick.

This doesn't mean anything.   It's a bunch of pointless numbers.    It's the players they pick with those picks that matter.  

They could trade the #9 for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and next years 2nd and 3rd.   If that 9 becomes a pro bowl HOF while all the Jets picks become burn outs that never start,  who was smarter?

The Jets have been horrible when it comes to picking players outside the first round over the years.  Or they find somebody with potential and then let them walk after a few years.   Or they wind up overvaluing the player and overpaying them to some ridiculous salary just because of how bad the history has been with their drafts.  Hell, the Jets first round picks haven't been that impressive over the years either.

If the Jets know they want certain players later in the draft, that's great.  But if its just about some blind hope that a couple of players might be there, then its stupid.   I dont want to see the Jets trading 9 & 13 for 25 or something and a few other 3rd and 4th rounders and wind up taking some Guard.  While the team they traded with gets a guy who becomes a star.

I mean we all think Sanchez sucks, but the Jets traded their 17th, their 2nd rounder(52), and players to move up to #5 to get their QB.  

You would think giving up that much for Sanchez, considering how much he sucks, would have benefited the Browns.  Except they drafted a guy who was cut in 2010,  traded down again and drafted an OL who has become a pro bowler.  But the Browns still stink.  And the players like Elam, Coleman, etc aren't even on the team anymore.   Trading down doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Yeah, okay.

Its called sarcasm son. Look it up.  They can draft that caliber of player now with these two 1st round picks. Jeez you would think 10 team's wanted Revis and they took the crappiest offer. No way the Jets get any value after the season started. This was the best out there no matter how much you bitch and moan. Be glad they got what they did you whiny bitches.

Archived