Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

Again, these are just numbers on a dart board.   Who they pick is what matters, not how many they pick.

when did I say who they pick is meaningless ?    the draft is a crap shoot, more darts gives you more chances to hit a winner

simple

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just a Tanny & Bradway thing.  If you look at the Jets 2nd round picks all the way back into the 80's, it doesn't get much better. Sometimes worse. So many different regimes have done horribly when it comes to drafting players.     And thats over almost 30 years.  And if you look around the league, it's not like many of these teams always do great jobs.    There is a reason why a lot of teams just stink for years.  Look at the Bills.   

Will Idzik be like that? Who knows. All we know so far is that he knows how to cut salaries and not add salaries.   Demolition is far easier than building something from scratch.    For me, I would think there has to be some plan, whether thats trading down or not, of getting a certain few players.  If it seems more like darts being thrown at a dart board and just accumulating more picks, I'd be worried.     If it's more about trading #13 for #19 and a 3rd rounder, and they pick up a player they want at 19 and they pick up a potential starter in the third round, i'd be happy.   If it's trade #13 for #19 and a 3rd rounder in 2014, i'd start to worry.    You can't just keep pushing things off till next year either.

I don't think there is a Jets disease that prevents them from drafting well in round 2.  They had bad people making bad selections.  And if you want to go back 30 years they Jets have quite famously drafted badly in more than just the 2nd round.

I just don't want them taking 4th-5th round talent like Victor Hobson because he fills some need.  In this regard I like what Idzik has done pre-draft so we have our starting team all set (plus Ducasse, lol).  But even that doesn't require reaching or filling a hole; there are still FA veteran guards if great value isn't there in the draft.

We have so many needs that the sheer number of slots dictates some will be filled next year.  I don't want to pigeonhole and fill for need and potentially take a lesser prospect at a position that we'll now have to fill and re-fill a second time.

Except no team in the league was willing to give up that much to get him, so what would you have had them do?  The other choices were letting him walk in a year or hand him a new contract that pays him $16 million / year.  Both would have been far worse options than the deal they got.  Not to mention, in all likelihood they will have the 3rd rounder you think they should have gotten when all is said and done with that comp pick next year.

Oh, I definitely agree that the alternatives you mentioned are far worse than this trade, but avoiding them does not make it a good trade.

It's not a horrible trade, but it is not a good one either.  Right now, it's a mediocre trade for the Jets for the reasons I previously stated.

Oh, I definitely agree that the alternatives you mentioned are far worse than this trade, but avoiding them does not make it a good trade.

It's not a horrible trade, but it is not a good one either.  Right now, it's a mediocre trade for the Jets for the reasons I previously stated.

I'm still not following your logic.  Was this not the best possible outcome the Jets could have taken out of the options which were available to them?  Is it not the best possible offer the Jets were able to get, including a pick this year that we were initially told for the first month or so of all of this that the Bucs were reportedly refusing to give up?  It's not just about avoiding the possible bad outcomes, it's about take advantage of the best possible positive one as well.  There is no evidence to suggest that any other team in the league, including the Jets, were willing to even discuss giving up what it would take to have Revis on their team.

I don't think there is a Jets disease that prevents them from drafting well in round 2.  They had bad people making bad selections.  And if you want to go back 30 years they Jets have quite famously drafted badly in more than just the 2nd round.

I just don't want them taking 4th-5th round talent like Victor Hobson because he fills some need.  In this regard I like what Idzik has done pre-draft so we have our starting team all set (plus Ducasse, lol).  But even that doesn't require reaching or filling a hole; there are still FA veteran guards if great value isn't there in the draft.

We have so many needs that the sheer number of slots dictates some will be filled next year.  I don't want to pigeonhole and fill for need and potentially take a lesser prospect at a position that we'll now have to fill and re-fill a second time.

Very true.  I'd rather they have late first rounders and second rounders than some hope a 4th or 5th round kid makes it.   i see a lot of needs because a lot of the part time rental players they signed might never even play much due to injury or they'll be gone next year for bigger money elsewhere.   But they can concentrate on replacing some of those players next year.  However if they see some strong RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, they shouldn't not take him because they have Woodson or Ivory.    Same goes for a lot of positions.    I just don't want then to collect picks.  More like having a plan and trying to achieve it.   

I am hopeful they have a good draft.    And I'm not upset with the Revis trade, I think it's the best they could get at this point. 

I'm still not following your logic.  Was this not the best possible outcome the Jets could have taken out of the options which were available to them?  Is it not the best possible offer the Jets were able to get, including a pick this year that we were initially told for the first month or so of all of this that the Bucs were reportedly refusing to give up?  It's not just about avoiding the possible bad outcomes, it's about take advantage of the best possible positive one as well.  There is no evidence to suggest that any other team in the league, including the Jets, were willing to even discuss giving up what it would take to have Revis on their team.

I think JC hit it on the head: "best of a bad situation."

But that still does not make it a good trade for the Jets.  They are rebuilding and need starters, plural.  They essentially did a 1 for 1 deal in getting the 13th so there is a zero sum gain.  The key will be the 2014 pic, which as too low in my estimation.

I think JC hit it on the head: "best of a bad situation."

But that still does not make it a good trade for the Jets.  They are rebuilding and need starters, plural.  They essentially did a 1 for 1 deal in getting the 13th so there is a zero sum gain.  The key will be the 2014 pic, which as too low in my estimation.

16m a year man

the big win is getting out of that situation

16m a year man

the big win is getting out of that situation

The JETS got hosed in this deal and no amount of excuses is going to change that.

All the JETS got from this deal was a conditional 3rd/4th. The trade leaves us one future HOFer starter short and one more pick to plug in a potential starter at some position.

The JETS got fleeced big time. Here is the reaction on Bucs forum:

http://www.bucschat.com/showthread.php?35321-Revis-a-Buc&s=7f3940e0dc454376b7ce70b551ce11cd

Some examples:

Can we all give it up for the Dom please? A 2013 1st and 2014 4th with no guaranteed cash. The Rockstar put on a show today.

The 4th is next year...could not have been better!!!

Albert Breer - Also, Jets take a $12 million dead-money cap hit for trading Revis. Had they kept him, his cap charge would've been $9 million.

Wow not only no guaranteed, but it's not even backloaded either. My God. And giving up a 1st in this draft is like giving up a 2nd.

The JETS got fleeced big time. Here is the reaction on Bucs forum:

http://www.bucschat.com/showthread.php?35321-Revis-a-Buc&s=7f3940e0dc454376b7ce70b551ce11cd

Some examples:

omg stop.  Idzik said in his presser that there was a substantial difference in what Revis thought he was worth and the Jets were willing to pay.  They WERE NOT GOING TO GIVE HIM 16 Mil a year..  Ever.

Revis said he wanted 16 mil a year and not a dime less.  The Jets said go **** yourself -- rightfully so.

If you want to blame someone blame Al Davis.  That stupid ass contract he game Nnamdi was what got this preposterous 16 Mil figure in Revis' head.

omg stop.  Idzik said in his presser that there was a substantial difference in what Revis thought he was worth and the Jets were willing to pay.  They WERE NOT GOING TO GIVE HIM 16 Mil a year..  Ever.

Revis said he wanted 16 mil a year and not a dime less.  The Jets said go **** yourself -- rightfully so.

If you want to blame someone blame Al Davis.  That stupid ass contract he game Nnamdi was what got this preposterous 16 Mil figure in Revis' head.

Oh please, there are always hurdles in every trade. That's why trades happen. Just because there were hurdles does not make this a good trade.

I was never against trading Revis. But the compensation is essentially the JETS caving in to Bucs and Revis and screwing themselves with a cattle prod in the process.

In this deal Tampa had their cake and ate it too.

What bothers me the most is this also sends a message to the league that  Idzik will cave. Maybe he will not bend over as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. So be ready for the same old head scratching most of the times when Idzik makes a move.

Can I blame the owners for being more than willing to work together to keep the price on players nice and low? Why would I be pissed one of the few owners in the league who actually gave a sh*t about the players paid a player well?

If the best sell the Jets can come up with his they didn't want to pay him then they suck. Not because they can't, simply because they will not. They want to wait for this imaginary 25 million dollar QB to fall out of the sky to ride a 20 million TE and WR combo to the Super Bowl with the help of 15 million dollar pass rusher, just like their big brothers did it. This franchise really eats a dick. 

Oh please, there are always hurdles in every trade. That's why trades happen. Just because there were hurdles does not make this a good trade.

I was never against trading Revis. But the compensation is essentially the JETS caving in to Bucs and Revis and screwing themselves with a cattle prod in the process.

In this deal Tampa had their cake and ate it too.

What bothers me the most is this also sends a message to the league that  Idzik will cave. Maybe he will not bend over as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. So be ready for the same old head scratching most of the times when Idzik makes a move.

Idzik would have been the joke of the league had he stood his ground and lost Revis for nothing next year.  The only way he would have caved is if he paid Revis 16 Mil with so many holes on the roster.

Now the players know Idzik is in charge...  lets not forget he somehow got Santonio Friggin Holmes to take a 3 mil pay cut.

Can I blame the owners for being more than willing to work together to keep the price on players nice and low? Why would I be pissed one of the few owners in the league who actually gave a sh*t about the players paid a player well?

If the best sell the Jets can come up with his they didn't want to pay him then they suck. Not because they can't, simply because they will not. They want to wait for this imaginary 25 million dollar QB to fall out of the sky to ride a 20 million TE and WR combo to the Super Bowl with the help of 15 million dollar pass rusher, just like their big brothers did it. This franchise really eats a dick. 

The Raiders have sucked for over a decade...  it might have to do with doing stupid things like paying CB's 16 mil.

Hey. The Bucs gonna win the Super Bowl next year?

The Raiders have sucked for over a decade...  it might have to do with doing stupid things like paying CB's 16 mil.

No, stuff like taking at #1 and paying the fat QB because best position everz and DHB at 7 is why they've sucked for a decade. 

Hey. The Bucs gonna win the Super Bowl next year? 

They have a significantly better shot at it than my team. 

I would love to hear what some of the cry-babies here would have liked the Jets to have done.  Paid him the $16 million / year that all of his staunchest defenders baselessly claimed wasn't true, and were proven completely wrong about?  Or simply turn down the Bucs offer because it "wasn't enough" for a guy coming off a knee injury that nobody else wanted, and let him walk for nothing in a year?  I would have loved more out of trade, and was hoping for it, but the Jets got the #13 pick in a draft for an injured player, ready to walk in a year with insane contract demands and 4 years removed from his peak.  And this is supposed to be such a horrible deal for the Jets how exactly?

Too many posters here want to believe what they read all off season rather than look at this trade for what it is in the present. The guy signed for no guarantees which in this day and age is very very rare, which should tell you something might be up and Tampa is taking the real gamble here.

Sure its a little dissapointing we didnt get what was reported 1 3 5  but that seemed like pipe dreams anyhow.

For those bashing Idzik he wont be judged until 3 years in,  so even if he botchs the 13th pick but still fields a winner in a year or 2 this will all be forgotten especially if our QB situation turns the corner and our team actully becomes exciting.

No way it's that high.  $6M for the 2013 season won't yield a 3rd rounder.  It'll probably be a 4th.  But it could technically be a 5th.  $6M isn't even top 20 money for a WR.  It's barely more than Robert Meachem money.

But all of that is theory that ignores signing UFA Amendola, who's getting $8M in 2013.  He'll more than cancel Welker out, meaning the Pats should get no compensatory pick for Welker.

RIIGGHHTT

Its not like Almendola has missed any games or anything.

The JETS got hosed in this deal and no amount of excuses is going to change that.

All the JETS got from this deal was a conditional 3rd/4th. The trade leaves us one future HOFer starter short and one more pick to plug in a potential starter at some position.

what? If anything we got a 1st because u could say revis leaving would have gotten us a 3rd.

From my point of view we scammed the bucs taking a problem off our hand AND giving us a 1st round pick.

obviouslly we werent signing revis to 16m a year so he was gone and we got a 13th overall pick for it yippee

RIIGGHHTT

Its not like Almendola has missed any games or anything.

How is that relevant?

NE lost an unrestricted free agent who got paid $6M.  They signed an unrestricted free agent and paid him $8M.  Therefore you aren't getting anything for losing the $6M UFA since you signed a more expensive UFA to take his place on the roster.  If Amendola misses 15 games it makes no difference whatsoever.

what? If anything we got a 1st because u could say revis leaving would have gotten us a 3rd.

From my point of view we scammed the bucs taking a problem off our hand AND giving us a 1st round pick.

obviouslly we werent signing revis to 16m a year so he was gone and we got a 13th overall pick for it yippee

That should not be an excuse for a poor trade. There are always reasons why teams want to make a trade. Many teams have been in worse situations and got better deals. These excuses are not sufficient to justify a poor trade.

All we  have is one starter less and have one pick to pick up a potential starter(at any position) if we get it right. All we got was 3rd or 4th rounder next draft which if the Bucs improve will  be in lower  part of the draft round.

Idzik would have been the joke of the league had he stood his ground and lost Revis for nothing next year.  The only way he would have caved is if he paid Revis 16 Mil with so many holes on the roster.

Now the players know Idzik is in charge...  lets not forget he somehow got Santonio Friggin Holmes to take a 3 mil pay cut.

Idzik is the joke of the league right now. Everyone now knows he will eventually blink. This has long term repercussions!

I am saying its a horrible compensation for the JETS. No one is coming out ans saying no its great compensation. All that's been given is excuses. Every team has challenges when it trades a player, no team makes a trade for the heck of it. This is not unique just to the JETS and just avoiding the ramifications of not trading him does not make it a good trade.

And you cannot say its a good trade based on compensation.

That's why you see the jubilant reactions from the Bucs fans!

Its not as simple as just receiving a first rounder. Its receiving the 13th overall pick that makes it great. The 13th overall pick (worth 1150 points) is equivalent of receiving the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks of a team reaching the championship game (worth 1153 points).

Its only a first rounder (plus a 3rd next year as well) because its a HIGH first rounder. Jets can, and most likely will turn this pick in to at least another pick, most likely a 2nd day pick.

Its not as simple as just receiving a first rounder. Its receiving the 13th overall pick that makes it great. The 13th overall pick (worth 1150 points) is equivalent of receiving the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks of a team reaching the championship game (worth 1153 points).

Its only a first rounder (plus a 3rd next year as well) because its a HIGH first rounder. Jets can, and most likely will turn this pick in to at least another pick, most likely a 2nd day pick.

Bingo.

Idzik is the joke of the league right now. Everyone now knows he will eventually blink. This has long term repercussions!

I am saying its a horrible compensation for the JETS. No one is coming out ans saying no its great compensation. All that's been given is excuses. Every team has challenges when it trades a player, no team makes a trade for the heck of it. This is not unique just to the JETS and just avoiding the ramifications of not trading him does not make it a good trade.

And you cannot say its a good trade based on compensation.

That's why you see the jubilant reactions from the Bucs fans!

Bucs fans are jubilant cuz they got the best starting CB in the NFL with their first rounder that would have been spent on one anyways. They had the cap to do it as well. If Jets had the cap, I doubt Revis wears another teams jersey. It's a matter if supply and demand, prioritizing your current needs. Do u want to keep him in a rebuilding yr n lose him for a comp 3rd rd pick in 2015 or do u cut ur ties now and gain an additional first this yr? The choice was clear.

With only one dance partner Idzik landed the best (only) deal he could get and from a monetary standpoint there is no doubt this puts them in a better position to rebuild.

Everone has such a strong opinion of whether the NYJ did well or got fleeced but really how can you really decide until you see what they  do with the pick.

Nobody is disputing that.

But to get the best deal you have to ready for the worst case scenario and be able to live with it. Many teams have done that, teams like the Steelers (with Mike Wallace). Why ? Because this also sends a message to the league that you are willing to live with the worst case scenario so if you want something bad from us be willing to pay for it. The message Idzik send is he will wilt. Maybe he will not wilt as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. And the chances of well managed teams like Steelers going to the SB before the JETS are a lot higher.

]The Bucs have what they wanted at the price they wanted. No one can say the Bucs lost this trade. The trade and the Revis extension works out super effing perfect for them. And we get the short end again!

How do you figure that? They didn't want to give up this year's first rounder. 

No because their QB is almost as sh*tty as ours.

No, he's not. Freeman is way better and he'll prove it this season. If Freeman is our QB in 2010, we win the whole damn thing. Wait and see what a better defense in Tampa will do for that team. Their schedule is fairly favorable too.

Archived