Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

I expect more from you.

It's not about pick quantity, it's about pick value. Would you be happier if we got a 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year? Because combined, those are still all worth less than the #13 and a 4th next year. A lot less.

If we trade the #9 pick now, we could net a late 1st and a 3rd... the results would be by trading Revis we move from #9 to #13, and gain a late 1st, a 3rd and a 2014 conditional 4th. 

Veterans don't typically fetch 1st rounders, let along 1st's just outside the top 10. 

Man it's more the frustration at the whole situation than the move itself.

Revis is worth more than that. Far more than that. In an ideal world I'd have kept him, given him that Bucs contract if needs must. It's the moves that we made with Sanchez/Holmes that I'm "**** this franchise"ing about which made keeping him impossible. That it came to this, trading our best ever player and effectively getting a 1st round pick in a poor draft, and a low pick in another is just soul destroying. I genuinely expected more, but obviously there just wasn't enough demand out there. 

I'm sad right now. I know this move as a standalone move was probably the right one. Still sad.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't know the winner or loser of this trade.  If the Bucs never make the playoffs over the next 3-4 years with Revis, but the Jets draft poorly, trade down and don't wind up with anything valuable and stink for the same time period, who really won?   Neither team.     In the end it comes down to winning.   It comes down to what you get from the 13th pick.   It would be nice if they got something from next years 3rd or 4th round pick, but many 3rd round picks never even make teams, so thinking thats what will make or break this trade is absurd.   If they get a great player, wonderful.   Thats an added bonus.  But they would have gotten a 3rd rounder in 2015 who could have become just the same.   It's all about this 13th pick.  Or about what that 13th pick becomes if they trade down.

Even if Revis goes on and becomes his HOF self for years and years, it's about what the Jets do and don't do.     It might also be a perception problem.  

If the Jets get some great pro bowl guard, but the Jets still are terrible,  people would be pissed.  Especially if the Bucs wind up contenders because of Revis for years to come.   Who was really happy when Johnson helped the Bucs win a super bowl years ago?   Who has been happy that Abraham has helped the Falcons become a contender.  Who was happy Vilma helped the Saints win a super bowl?    Hell, people were pissed when the Pats picked up a running back the Jets never seemed to have faith in.     

I'm ok with the trade.   I'm just hoping they know how to draft.

I don't see how Revis has any cards to play.  He will be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.  I mean besides Manning, Flacco, Rodgers, and Calvin Williams, he's in the Mario Williams territory of contracts.   If he just shows up every year, the guy is getting more than $16 million.   Not getting guaranteed money up front is really on him and his agents.    I just don't see what cards Revis would have at any hold out considering the amount of money he's getting.  And if the Bucs wind up just some 8-8 team,  who would really care to even trade or pay Revis that much?  

Mario Williams will probably never get what he gets now again.  We've seen what that much money for a Defensive Lineman gets you.  A team rebuilding again.

if anything, this trade experience should convince potential seekers or tradees that the value of the cornerback position has been greatly inflated.  Essentially the Bucs are saying that they have so much cap space that they are willing to draft Darelle Revis in the first round and pay him 16 million.  Not necessarily an insane idea.  They are never on the hook for more than 16 million and can cut him any year they want. If Freeman is a dud and they finish in the bottom half of the league again they can wave bye bye to both of them.  It is only money and it is only one year.  On the other hand, If Revis reinjures himself they are covered.  As for the trade on the jets side, they were NEVER going to pay him like that. Trade was inevitable.  And for all of his accolades, the rest of the league did not come calling.  so they could not play one team off against another, and it was wise for them to take the deal.  They could turn the 13 into 2 high picks for starters who will be under their control for some time.  Next year they will have money to sign a free agent or make a trade of their own for a high profile player.  I think everybody made out.  Even Revis.  I mean ---if he hangs on there for 2 or 3 years, he could wind up with 50 mil.  The trick is to stay healthy and the hope is that TB gets good.

Can I blame the owners for being more than willing to work together to keep the price on players nice and low? Why would I be pissed one of the few owners in the league who actually gave a sh*t about the players paid a player well?

If the best sell the Jets can come up with his they didn't want to pay him then they suck. Not because they can't, simply because they will not. They want to wait for this imaginary 25 million dollar QB to fall out of the sky to ride a 20 million TE and WR combo to the Super Bowl with the help of 15 million dollar pass rusher, just like their big brothers did it. This franchise really eats a dick. 

This is hysterical! The only reason Malcolm Glazer had the money to pay Revis is because he wasn't paying the other 50-something players on his roster. :D

That should not be an excuse for a poor trade. There are always reasons why teams want to make a trade. Many teams have been in worse situations and got better deals. These excuses are not sufficient to justify a poor trade.

All we  have is one starter less and have one pick to pick up a potential starter(at any position) if we get it right. All we got was 3rd or 4th rounder next draft which if the Bucs improve will  be in lower  part of the draft round.

I would like to hear some examples of the many teams that have been in worse situations and got better deals. Should be pretty easy for you to come up with if there are so many of them. 

For the record, the situation the Jets were in was having a HoF caliber CB coming off an ACL tear, with a history of holdouts, who wanted to be paid $16M/year, and only one team being willing to trade for him. 

There you go, let's see that list. 

No, he's not. Freeman is way better and he'll prove it this season. If Freeman is our QB in 2010, we win the whole damn thing. Wait and see what a better defense in Tampa will do for that team. Their schedule is fairly favorable too.

Freeman had one decent year in which he played against an historically weak schedule. In the least two years he's turned the ball over 46 times, only six fewer than Sanchez. His completion percentage was a whopping 54.8 to Sanchez's 54.3. For their careers, Freeman - 82 TD (78 passing 4 rushing) 75 turnovers; Sanchez - 80 TD (68 passing, 12 rushing) 79 turnovers. 

Like I said, he's only slightly less sh*tty than Sanchez. 

Josh Freeman = zero chance at winning the Super Bowl. 

How is that relevant?

NE lost an unrestricted free agent who got paid $6M.  They signed an unrestricted free agent and paid him $8M.  Therefore you aren't getting anything for losing the $6M UFA since you signed a more expensive UFA to take his place on the roster.  If Amendola misses 15 games it makes no difference whatsoever.

No it doesnt.

Playing time and post season honors factor in as well. My money is on Welker having a huge year and the Broncos winning the SB.

The Pats lost Woodhead and Lloyd too.

Man it's more the frustration at the whole situation than the move itself.

Revis is worth more than that. Far more than that. In an ideal world I'd have kept him, given him that Bucs contract if needs must. It's the moves that we made with Sanchez/Holmes that I'm "**** this franchise"ing about which made keeping him impossible. That it came to this, trading our best ever player and effectively getting a 1st round pick in a poor draft, and a low pick in another is just soul destroying. I genuinely expected more, but obviously there just wasn't enough demand out there. 

I'm sad right now. I know this move as a standalone move was probably the right one. Still sad.

Actually, no, he's not. He is worth what you can get for him; which is apparently the 13th overall pick in this year's draft and a conditional 3/4 in next year's draft. 

Too many posters here want to believe what they read all off season rather than look at this trade for what it is in the present. The guy signed for no guarantees which in this day and age is very very rare, which should tell you something might be up and Tampa is taking the real gamble here.

Sure its a little dissapointing we didnt get what was reported 1 3 5  but that seemed like pipe dreams anyhow.

For those bashing Idzik he wont be judged until 3 years in,  so even if he botchs the 13th pick but still fields a winner in a year or 2 this will all be forgotten especially if our QB situation turns the corner and our team actully becomes exciting.

The Jets essentially got the 1 and 3. Tampa originally didn't want to part with this year's #1, assuming that next year's would be lower. Idzik got value for Revis today rather than in the future. He did well in that respect. My only concern about whether we get the third or fourth next year is if the Bucs pull a fast one and cut and resign Revis with a wink and a nod - similar to how Tannenbaum got robbed when he traded Abraham. But at least the Jets get a minimum of that fourth rounder. 

Both Tampa and Revis are gambling here. If Revis isn't Revis anymore, he's not going to see the third year of that contract. Tampa is paying an unprecedented $16M for one year of a CB coming off an ACL. It's crazy. 

Having the #13 allows the Jets to comfortably trade out of that one or the #9 they already had much more easily, and potentially pick up a second rounder - or a first next year. 

Freeman had one decent year in which he played against an historically weak schedule. In the least two years he's turned the ball over 46 times, only six fewer than Sanchez. His completion percentage was a whopping 54.8 to Sanchez's 54.3. For their careers, Freeman - 82 TD (78 passing 4 rushing) 75 turnovers; Sanchez - 80 TD (68 passing, 12 rushing) 79 turnovers. 

No, yours is sh*ttier.

Ummm, that's what I said...

This is hysterical! The only reason Malcolm Glazer had the money to pay Revis is because he wasn't paying the other 50-something players on his roster. :biggrin:

I would like to hear some examples of the many teams that have been in worse situations and got better deals. Should be pretty easy for you to come up with if there are so many of them. 

For the record, the situation the Jets were in was having a HoF caliber CB coming off an ACL tear, with a history of holdouts, who wanted to be paid $16M/year, and only one team being willing to trade for him. 

There you go, let's see that list. 

CRICKETS.

Actually, no, he's not. He is worth what you can get for him; which is apparently the 13th overall pick in this year's draft and a conditional 3/4 in next year's draft. 

His worth to us as a player on the field is worth more than that, when healthy, he is the best defensive player in football. I do know what you're trying to say though. 

He should have been a Jet for life, you shouldn't lose players who are this good. Alas injuries and Tanny ended any chance of that ever happening.

I'm sad. Allow me to be sad.

This is Cristiano Ronaldo II. 

The Jets essentially got the 1 and 3. Tampa originally didn't want to part with this year's #1, assuming that next year's would be lower. Idzik got value for Revis today rather than in the future. He did well in that respect. My only concern about whether we get the third or fourth next year is if the Bucs pull a fast one and cut and resign Revis with a wink and a nod - similar to how Tannenbaum got robbed when he traded Abraham. But at least the Jets get a minimum of that fourth rounder. 

Both Tampa and Revis are gambling here. If Revis isn't Revis anymore, he's not going to see the third year of that contract. Tampa is paying an unprecedented $16M for one year of a CB coming off an ACL. It's crazy. 

Having the #13 allows the Jets to comfortably trade out of that one or the #9 they already had much more easily, and potentially pick up a second rounder - or a first next year. 

I agree with ya slats bu im talking from rumors. I heard ones as crasy as 1 3 5 this year and a 3/5 nrxt year and we know now that was nonsense. This certainly makes draft day very exciting will be interesting to see how the Jets address our offensive woes because i think this team will field a decent defense, maybe not top 5 but if the offense can make strides I think this team can get back into contention relatively quick and with a younger cast of players than before. This time when and if we do get back to contention ot looks like we will have nice cap space to fill needed holes with solid players unlike how Tanny and Wrecks handled our weak skill players on offense in previous years

We'll see. Having a better defense will allow Freeman to be a better QB. Tampa had to play from behind a lot last season and, therefore, had to throw a lot. It makes sense his numbers would be much lower when the opposing defense knows you have to pass because your defense cannot get off the field.  I'd be willing to bet the Bucs have a great season and are a huge threat come playoff time.

I hate the fact the Jets dealt Revis but I understand why they made the deal.

You don't want a situation like Carolina a few years ago where they lost Julius Peppers for nothing. If that had happen we would have been in an absolute uproar.

Give the Jets kudos for getting the Tampa's first this year. The additions of Revis and Goldson from SF, make the Bucs a legit challenger to Atlanta for the NFC South title this year. If the Jets had settled for Tampa's first next year you are probably looking at a pick somewhere in the 20's.

The Jets have the 9th and 13th right now which give them something to work with if they want to move down and pick up some more picks. With all the players that have left they are going to need as many picks as they can get.

His worth to us as a player on the field is worth more than that, when healthy, he is the best defensive player in football. I do know what you're trying to say though. 

He should have been a Jet for life, you shouldn't lose players who are this good. Alas injuries and Tanny ended any chance of that ever happening.

we could not lock up Revis long term because of other insane contracts on this roster D-Brick and Harris come to mind who are both paid much more than they are worth. Then the injury happens and signing a player off a serious injury before they have stepped on the field is stupid hence the contract with No Guarantees. I can see RB's coming off this injury fairly easily because they dictate the direction they run and only get 15 to 20 touches, but corners have to adjust on the fly to what a receiver does in a split second.... an injury like this is much more serious to a corner who has to adjust to a receiver 50 to 60 plays a game.

I agree with ya slats bu im talking from rumors. I heard ones as crasy as 1 3 5 this year and a 3/5 nrxt year and we know now that was nonsense. This certainly makes draft day very exciting will be interesting to see how the Jets address our offensive woes because i think this team will field a decent defense, maybe not top 5 but if the offense can make strides I think this team can get back into contention relatively quick and with a younger cast of players than before. This time when and if we do get back to contention ot looks like we will have nice cap space to fill needed holes with solid players unlike how Tanny and Wrecks handled our weak skill players on offense in previous years

When the idea of trading Revis first came up, I thought a second this year and a conditional second that could become a first next year would be a good deal. I did not expect to get the #13 overall for a player coming off an ACL demanding $16M/year. I think Idzik did extremely well given the circumstances. Short of any shenanigans from Tampa, the only difference between the 1, 3, 5 and what the Jets got is the fifth rounder. Really not enough to worry about. 

I think the Jets are in year one of a two year rebuild. It's all up to what Idzik does with those picks now. Does make the draft exciting! 

When the idea of trading Revis first came up, I thought a second this year and a conditional second that could become a first next year would be a good deal. I did not expect to get the #13 overall for a player coming off an ACL demanding $16M/year. I think Idzik did extremely well given the circumstances. Short of any shenanigans from Tampa, the only difference between the 1, 3, 5 and what the Jets got is the fifth rounder. Really not enough to worry about. 

I think the Jets are in year one of a two year rebuild. It's all up to what Idzik does with those picks now. Does make the draft exciting! 

slats can their be an agreement by the teams to prevent that type of crap from happening ? If so I would hope Idzik addressed that situation prior to the trade. It may be stipulations like that, that made this drag on as long as it did.

Blaming Tanny or Idzik or anybody else besides Darrelle Revis isn't fair. Darrelle Revis was and is a complete and total scumbag. He's a greedy douchebag who has one and only one priority, which is top dollar. 

we could not lock up Revis long term because of other insane contracts on this roster D-Brick and Harris come to mind who are both paid much more than they are worth. Then the injury happens and signing a player off a serious injury before they have stepped on the field is stupid hence the contract with No Guarantees. I can see RB's coming off this injury fairly easily because they dictate the direction they run and only get 15 to 20 touches, but corners have to adjust on the fly to what a receiver does in a split second.... an injury like this is much more serious to a corner who has to adjust to a receiver 50 to 60 plays a game.

I actually don't mind overpaying Brick. But that contract for an average ILB is gross.

slats can their be an agreement by the teams to prevent that type of crap from happening ? If so I would hope Idzik addressed that situation prior to the trade. It may be stipulations like that, that made this drag on as long as it did.

I don't know. Hopefully the Jets protected themselves. If you remember, when they traded Abraham there was a conditional pick based on if Atlanta gave him a contract extension. Instead, they let his contract expire and then resigned him, and the Jets got nothing. Pretty embarrassing. 

At least the Jets can't do worse than a 4th - at least from the reports we've seen so far. 

We'll see. Having a better defense will allow Freeman to be a better QB. Tampa had to play from behind a lot last season and, therefore, had to throw a lot. It makes sense his numbers would be much lower when the opposing defense knows you have to pass because your defense cannot get off the field.  I'd be willing to bet the Bucs have a great season and are a huge threat come playoff time.

So in your mind, Revis, a cornerback, is good for at least 3 wins? Because the Bucs only won 7 last year, a whopping one more than the Jets. Freeman was handed a great receiver last year in Vincent Jackson, which accounts for his "improvement" from 2011 where he actually had a much better completion percentage but led the league in turnovers. Adding a player who won't even be on the field with him will suddenly make him a Pro-Bowl level QB capable of winning a Super Bowl?

You were a Penningtonologist, weren't you?

I actually don't mind overpaying Brick. But that contract for an average ILB is gross.

I can deal with harris to some extent as a player because hes one of 4 LB's and hes very good vs the run. D-Brick is mediocre at best in the running game and wildly inconsistent from year to year protecting the passer. he is also NOT GOOD at all adapting to situations as a LT IMHO but I dont have a play book do its hard to judge in that respect. Im just not a big fan of the guy and hes getting paid pretty high up the scale and more than some LT's who make him look like a JAG

No it doesnt.

Playing time and post season honors factor in as well. My money is on Welker having a huge year and the Broncos winning the SB.

The Pats lost Woodhead and Lloyd too.

Woodhead and Lloyd would get canceled out by someone making much less.

Amendola fully cancels out Welker.  Those other factors are minor compared to compensation.  If you lose a player who doesn't make much but he has a crazy season it gets upgraded.  But Welker was already high enough that's going to be minor.  Watch and you will see.

Some years back the Jets lost Kareem McKenzie and LaMont Jordan who both signed significant contracts elsewhere as UFAs and got huge bonuses.  One of them got canceled out by Barry Gardner who signed for peanuts compared to either of those two, did jack squat his first season here compared to the first season those two had elsewhere, and he still canceled one out because there weren't any other UFAs net gained/lost.

The overwhelming factor is what type of free agent someone "took" from you, which the league then makes up for with a compensatory pick, and what type of free agent you took from someone else.  You took a more expensive free agent from someone else than someone else took from you.

Woodhead and Lloyd won't factor into Welker/Amendola because they are in a far lower class of player gained/lost by their compensation and you have an $8M player in Amendola to cancel out the $6M player in Welker rather than Woodhead who is getting only $1.75M this season.  Lloyd isn't even on another team.  You don't get a compensatory pick for a guy unless someone else "takes" him from you, and even still you wouldn't get anything because you didn't lose him as a UFA; you cut him.  So it doesn't matter if someone signs Lloyd and gives him $20M up front this year and he catches 150 passes for 2000 yards.  You're still getting nothing for Brandon Lloyd because he was cut by New England.

Translation: you're getting nothing for Welker.  If you didn't sign any other UFAs, you might get about a 6th rounder for Woodhead.

I don't know. Hopefully the Jets protected themselves. If you remember, when they traded Abraham there was a conditional pick based on if Atlanta gave him a contract extension. Instead, they let his contract expire and then resigned him, and the Jets got nothing. Pretty embarrassing. 

At least the Jets can't do worse than a 4th - at least from the reports we've seen so far. 

I'm pretty sure I read the condition was Revis being on the Bucs roster in 2014. 

Blaming Tanny or Idzik or anybody else besides Darrelle Revis isn't fair. Darrelle Revis was and is a complete and total scumbag. He's a greedy douchebag who has one and only one priority, which is top dollar. 

I am shocked he has no guarantees in his deal. is he a spitefull bitch as well ?

I think you're thinking of Vilma.

Finally, someone in the media realizes this:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 42m

If you use draft pick value chart to compare Revis, Harvin trades, the #Jets got more value than #Vikings even though they got just 2 picks.

Guys in the Media don't care about getting anything right. Their job is to create as big a sh*tstorm as they can muster. 

This Dan whatever guy on Mad Dog radio yesterday WOULD NOT stop comparing the Revis trade to  Harvin. He couldn't stop saying...whining, well, The Hawks got a 1, 3 and 5 and the Jets only get a 1 and 4 for the better player...HEY YOU ENORMOUS JACKASS...1st off there is a big difference between #13 and #25 overall in the first round. Plus that 4th is really a 3rd for all intents...so keep crying about the 5th rounder. Oh and btw, the ******* guy is a CB playing on a torn ACL. People keep thinking, well look at AP....well RB's run one way....forwards. Just wait....Chances of Revis returning to an elite level is slim to none. Then you can factor in the $16M demands as the cherry on top.

Archived