Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik would have been the joke of the league had he stood his ground and lost Revis for nothing next year. The only way he would have caved is if he paid Revis 16 Mil with so many holes on the roster.

Now the players know Idzik is in charge... lets not forget he somehow got Santonio Friggin Holmes to take a 3 mil pay cut.

By far the worst part of this trade its being forced to agree with you.

So in your mind, Revis, a cornerback, is good for at least 3 wins? Because the Bucs only won 7 last year, a whopping one more than the Jets. Freeman was handed a great receiver last year in Vincent Jackson, which accounts for his "improvement" from 2011 where he actually had a much better completion percentage but led the league in turnovers. Adding a player who won't even be on the field with him will suddenly make him a Pro-Bowl level QB capable of winning a Super Bowl?

You were a Penningtonologist, weren't you?

They also were missing both of their pro bowl/all-pro guards - Nicks and Joseph.  Roughly the equivalent of us losing both Ferguson and Mangold one year and getting them both back the following year.  The two of them, plus Revis, plus Goldson, plus I'm sure Barron's ceiling was not his rookie season.

Yeah, with that list I could see them winning 3 more games if they stay healthy and Freeman doesn't collapse.

I am shocked he has no guarantees in his deal. is he a spitefull bitch as well ?

That's Revis' problem. Their about as arrogant as it comes. It's mind boggling dumb. I'm sure every other agent is shaking their head on this one. 

What I can't wait for is when Revis plays, maybe, at a 'solid starters' level but he's no more, at the #1 elite player status. What will they do then? When Revis still think he's the best and wants to get paid as such and the Bucs want him to take an $8M pay cut. That could be as soon and probably, most likely as early as next year, lol. 

Oh please, there are always hurdles in every trade. That's why trades happen. Just because there were hurdles does not make this a good trade.

I was never against trading Revis. But the compensation is essentially the JETS caving in to Bucs and Revis and screwing themselves with a cattle prod in the process.

In this deal Tampa had their cake and ate it too.

What bothers me the most is this also sends a message to the league that  Idzik will cave. Maybe he will not bend over as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. So be ready for the same old head scratching most of the times when Idzik makes a move.

If Idzik caved in he would have taken their other reported offer that was their best offer for weeks: a 2nd rounder this year and a conditional 4th next year.  He said no one's getting Revis before the draft unless we get at least #1 pick this year.  If someone came in and offered their #1 but it was lower, we'd have required more than TB's conditional 4th in 2014.

The point is he did not cave.  If he'd caved we wouldn't have their top pick right now.

Tampa said for weeks and weeks they were absolutely not giving up their #13 overall pick this year.  Absolutely not.

And then they caved in to us.

So in your mind, Revis, a cornerback, is good for at least 3 wins? Because the Bucs only won 7 last year, a whopping one more than the Jets. Freeman was handed a great receiver last year in Vincent Jackson, which accounts for his "improvement" from 2011 where he actually had a much better completion percentage but led the league in turnovers. Adding a player who won't even be on the field with him will suddenly make him a Pro-Bowl level QB capable of winning a Super Bowl?

I'm going to guess you didn't look at their scoreboard from last year. Or their injury report. Or their off season acquisitions. Or Doug Martin's first five games of his rookie season.

By far the worst part of this trade its being forced to agree with you.

Hard to disagree with pragmatism and unbiased opinions shared in a very friendly fashion. 

Those are the hallmarks of my posting style.

Wow, Jamie Dukes, on NFL Network, is...surprisingly, getting it right.

To paraphrase, "NO CB is worth $16M in this day and age of 4-5 WR sets, even if he was 100% healthy."

This is exactly it. Any team that can spread the field with multiple pass catchers can neutralize a great cb. He's only one body.

The counter argument is usually something along the lines of the ability to take Calvin or Andre Johnson out of a game. Well, when was the last time one of these elite WRs won a championship?

Guys in the Media don't care about getting anything right. Their job is to create as big a sh*tstorm as they can muster. 

This Dan whatever guy on Mad Dog radio yesterday WOULD NOT stop comparing the Revis trade to  Harvin. He couldn't stop saying...whining, well, The Hawks got a 1, 3 and 5 and the Jets only get a 1 and 4 for the better player...HEY YOU ENORMOUS JACKASS...1st off there is a big difference between #13 and #25 overall in the first round. Plus that 4th is really a 3rd for all intents...so keep crying about the 5th rounder. Oh and btw, the ******* guy is a CB playing on a torn ACL. People keep thinking, well look at AP....well RB's run one way....forwards. Just wait....Chances of Revis returning to an elite level is slim to none. Then you can factor in the $16M demands as the cherry on top.

I have heard people compare the conditional pick to the compensatory pick we would get for Revis leaving.  The conditional pick is a 3rd unless Revis tears his ACL, again and the compensatory pick is not until 2015 and at the very end of the round.  There is no comparison in the value of those two picks.

I have heard people compare the conditional pick to the compensatory pick we would get for Revis leaving.  The conditional pick is a 3rd unless Revis tears his ACL, again and the compensatory pick is not until 2015 and at the very end of the round.  There is no comparison in the value of those two picks.

Yeah and a good way to look at it via that scenario is if he does tear it again, his career is over in 2013 and the Jets still got the 13th overall and a 4th round pick for it.

Now that the smoke has cleared im still angry at the Jets but we traded a 27 year old CB with a repaired knee for a #1 draft pick. Look on the bright side I guess.

I have a Revis authentic a Revis knock-off and a 16x20 signed Revis in my mancave. I will still wear the jersey and the picture stays.

This is exactly it. Any team that can spread the field with multiple pass catchers can neutralize a great cb. He's only one body.

The counter argument is usually something along the lines of the ability to take Calvin or Andre Johnson out of a game. Well, when was the last time one of these elite WRs won a championship?

Yep.  The fact is, Cro can lock those guys down too.  Maybe not at the consistency of Revis but he's a damn nice consolidation prize.

Now that the smoke has cleared im still angry at the Jets but we traded a 27 year old CB with a repaired knee for a #1 draft pick. Look on the bright side I guess.

I have a Revis authentic a Revis knock-off and a 16x20 signed Revis in my mancave. I will still wear the jersey and the picture stays.

Good news bro..  it was 2 picks.

Revis, when healthy, neutralizes a great WR not a great QB.

That has a lot of value, but not $16M per year every year value.

No but another year with Jackson and Martin will help as well as getting his starting guards back. And yes, not having to play from behind all the time will help. Not one place did I say pro bowl caliber at all but he can win a Super Bowl just as any QB can. All depends on who gets hot.

They also were missing both of their pro bowl/all-pro guards - Nicks and Joseph.  Roughly the equivalent of us losing both Ferguson and Mangold one year and getting them both back the following year.  The two of them, plus Revis, plus Goldson, plus I'm sure Barron's ceiling was not his rookie season.

Yeah, with that list I could see them winning 3 more games if they stay healthy and Freeman doesn't collapse.

And Sanchez's best receiver from week 3 on was Jeremy Kerley and his RB was Shonn Greene and he was still only slightly worse than Freeman throwing to Vincent Jackson with Doug Martin running wild. 

Thanks for proving my point. Freeman may be better than Sanchez but it ain't by much. 

Sanchez sucks, so does Freeman. 

I'm going to guess you didn't look at their scoreboard from last year. Or their injury report. Or their off season acquisitions. Or Doug Martin's first five games of his rookie season.

Didn't need to. The Jets injury report was worse at the skill positions than anything the Bucs had to deal with and Sanchez was only slightly worse than Freeman. 

Freeman and Sanchez both suck.

Cornerbacks don't win championships. 

I have a Revis authentic a Revis knock-off and a 16x20 signed Revis in my mancavoe. I will still wear the jersey and the picture stays.

He's actually 28 considering that's heis age when the season starts. Lol just saying

The condition is him being on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2014 season.  So theoretically they could cut him on the 2nd day and re-sign him on the 4th day.

Yep

And theoretically the Jets could out bid them on the 3rd day, and Revis would gladly take the extra money.    None of that's going to happen, but fun to think about

I would like use these picks on Mingo/Werner + one of.the three.top.pass catchers (Austin, Patterson, Eifert)

I'd agree there. Or whichever pass catcher the Jets have rated highest. Even if its Justin Hunter or someone like that. I dont think these mock drafters have any clue on who these teams have rated highest at DE/OLB or WR.

But are those WRs are worth that kind of coin? 

I'd agree there. Or whichever pass catcher the Jets have rated highest. Even if its Justin Hunter or someone like that. I dont think these mock drafters have any clue on who these teams have rated highest at DE/OLB or WR.

Absoloutly, We have to address the offense. It will be very dissappointing if we use 2 first round picks on D and continue to watch our offense go out there with no playmakers.

Revis, when healthy, neutralizes a great WR not a great QB.

That has a lot of value, but not $16M per year every year value.

ding ding ding ding .... we have the winning summarization of the situation. 

I think JC hit it on the head: "best of a bad situation."

But that still does not make it a good trade for the Jets.  They are rebuilding and need starters, plural.  They essentially did a 1 for 1 deal in getting the 13th so there is a zero sum gain.  The key will be the 2014 pic, which as too low in my estimation.

Revis was going to be gone in 10 and 1/2 months from now and they're getting a pick next year as well.  So, in reality, it's more like a 2 for 0 deal.  Unless of course you're assuming that if they kept him, they would have re-signed Revis, in which case it's a 2 for 1 deal, with $16 million freed up to spend elsewhere on the team on top of that (making it more like a 4 for 1 deal, or more, when all is said and done).  I guess the difference is, even before all of this trade stuff happened, I no longer held Revis up on the pedistal that a lot of Jets fans did.  The guy is now 4 years removed from his peak and, as great of a player as he is, he has shown no signs of being able to replicate that performance, which he still wants to be paid based upon.

There were a ton of factors working against the Jets in this deal, most notably a season-ending injury, a high asking price from both Revis and the Jets, Revis set to walk in one year (without the Jets able to franchise him), and best of all, only one team showing any real interest.  When you consider all of this, I think the Jets should count themselves lucky they even got what they did.

Didn't need to. The Jets injury report was worse at the skill positions than anything the Bucs had to deal with and Sanchez was only slightly worse than Freeman. 

Freeman and Sanchez both suck.

Cornerbacks don't win championships. 

I didn't say anything about winning a championship. I'm just pointing out the fact that they lost one game by one point and two games by two points. Darrelle Revis (and Dashon Goldson) might have had an impact in those games. I didn't know it was a Freeman vs Sanchez thing.

This ******* place cracks me up.  I didn't even want to trade the guy and I'm okay with this. 

Seriously.  I've never seen a bigger group of whiny cry-babies than what we've got going around on this board sometimes.

What you have to love is that this is supposed to be the worst deal in the history of the NFL and yet, oddly enough, there were 31 NFL teams (yes, including the Jets) who did not feel that Revis was worth what the Bucs gave up to get him.  The Jets couldn't even get another team to jump in on the bidding back when all of the reports were that the Bucs were refusing to give up this year's first rounder because they felt it was too high (you know, that same pick that the Jets got when they allegedly "caved").

Archived