Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...here is my final piece on this since i am going to be busy the rest of the day and am traveling tomorrow, i do not have the time to respond to all of you individually.

For the JETS they fell for the Buc's bluff and did not get the best deal.

For the Bucs it was a win win all the way. They gave less in compensation than they should have by keeping their nerve in negotiations and dictating the parameters of how the deal would be done in the end. Plus they signed Revis for 16 mill per year with no guarantees and as far as trades are concerned they have the trade with the least risk from an NFL perspective where a player can get hurt on the next play and have a HOFer player to boot.

Idzik was had hook, line and sinker. He was out maneuvered and caved in with a lots of time on the clock. Maybe he learns from this. But it send a signal out the league that Idzik will blink if only not as quickly as Tanny.

Ok...here is my final piece on this since i am going to be busy the rest of the day and am traveling tomorrow, i do not have the time to respond to all of you individually.

For the Bucs it was a win win all the way. They gave less in compensation than they should have by keeping their nerve in negotiations and dictating the parameters of how the deal would be done in the end. Plus they signed Revis for 16 mill per year with no guarantees and as far as trades are concerned they have the trade with the least risk from an NFL perspective where a player can get hurt on the next play and have a HOFer player to boot.

Idzik was had hook, line and sinker. He was out maneuvered and caved in with a lots of time on the clock. Maybe he learns from this. But it send a signal out the league that Idzik will blink if only not as quickly as Tanny.

Lulz.  Hands down the worst take I've seen on this trade.

I am just a mere fan so no i am not a GM. But as an individual consultant i have been part of several negotiations.

You can believe all you want and that ok if helps you sleep thinking the JETS got the best deal. But they did not.

One thing i have seen in negotiations is whenever someone draws a line in sand and sets a deadline and ends up getting the deal done they have won and paid less that they intended to. This posturing is a usually a bluff and Idzik fell for it. Period.

Your position has absolutely no merit to it.  All reports said the Bucs had been getting pissy for weeks now trying to push the Jets into doing the deal and it never happened, as the Jets refused to yield for an offer that was a good bit less than what they eventually got.  For over a month the reports said the Bucs refused to give up their first round pick this year, and yet the Bucs did exactly that.  Those same reports also said the Jets would not give Revis up without getting this year's first from the Bucs, and that was what happened.  Of every single report about this deal out there, the only one that had the Jets not having everything go the way they wanted is that their asking price allegedly included an additional 5th round pick over what they got.

So over the course of the entire negotiations, the Jets reduced their asking price by a 5th round pick while the Bucs increased their offer by a full round / year, gave up a pick they claimed they never would, and did all of this on the Jets time frame, so the Jets could hold out for the best possible offer from Tampa or any other possible suitors, despite the Bucs reportedly being done waiting on the Jets weeks ago.  You can be as pissy about this deal as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that this particular stance of yours has absolutely no evidence to support it in the least bit.

How can you say the Jets didn't get the "best" deal, when it was the only one being offered?

The Jets got the Best, Worst, and Only deal on the table.

They viewed that deal as better than 1) Paying Revis 16M a year in cash, and 2) Retaining Revis and losing him for no compensation the following year.

Those were the 3 options.  There were no other.  I like the one they picked, as do many others, it seems.

I don't think Idzik did a bad job.  He got what he could considering nobody else wanted to trade picks or give Revis that money.   But nobody is saying Idzik did a good or great job.   So at this point, the Jets GM did what he had to do and got the minimal for their only star potential HOF player.   His hands were tied considering how much Revis wanted and the contract he inherited.   All is forgotten if the Jets go out and have a great draft.   It's not forgotten if the Jets trade down and wind up with little value or they pick a bust at 13. 

Nobody will care about the Revis trade if they go out and pick good players.  Thats where Idzik needs to shine.  Revis was gone. He wasn't resigning. The Jets weren't resigning him.  So Idzik got what he could and it's over. Not sure what most people expected.   

Basically this. If I'm looking to hire a guy for $80,000 and his salary requirements are at $120K; why even bother interviewing and wasting both our time?

Negotiation.   Maybe you can go up to 100K and he can go down to 100K.     If he's worth it, you negotiate.   If you are cheap, then you don't.

Obviously in this case you'd be looking to pay $80K and the guy wants $250K.   At that point it might be pointless.

Your position has absolutely no merit to it.  All reports said the Bucs had been getting pissy for weeks now trying to push the Jets into doing the deal and it never happened, as the Jets refused to yield for an offer that was a good bit less than what they eventually got.  For over a month the reports said the Bucs refused to give up their first round pick this year, and yet the Bucs did exactly that.  Those same reports also said the Jets would not give Revis up without getting this year's first from the Bucs, and that was what happened.  Of every single report about this deal out there, the only one that had the Jets not having everything go the way they wanted is that their asking price allegedly included an additional 5th round pick over what they got.

So over the course of the entire negotiations, the Jets reduced their asking price by a 5th round pick while the Bucs increased their offer by a full round / year, gave up a pick they claimed they never would, and did all of this on the Jets time frame, so the Jets could hold out for the best possible offer from Tampa or any other possible suitors, despite the Bucs reportedly being done waiting on the Jets weeks ago.  You can be as pissy about this deal as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that this particular stance of yours has absolutely no evidence to support it in the least bit.

How can you say the Jets didn't get the "best" deal, when it was the only one being offered?

The Jets got the Best, Worst, and Only deal on the table.

They viewed that deal as better than 1) Paying Revis 16M a year in cash, and 2) Retaining Revis and losing him for no compensation the following year.

Those were the 3 options.  There were no other.  I like the one they picked, as do many others, it seems.

What you guys dont understand is, GMinDenver is setting the market here with Revis.  So, based on what his value is of Revis in terms of picks - even though its clear nobody in the NFL who do this for a living agree with him - the Jets didnt get enough in return.

Pretty hard to argue with that logic.  :confused0085:

The Jets wanted a 1/3/5, the Bucs wanted to give a 2/4, the Jets got a 1/3.  Would seem in this crazy little thing called negotiations, the final outcome fell waaaaaaaaay closer to the Jets price than the Bucs.  Not to mention the Bucs wanted the deal done weeks ago (back when they were offering a 2/4) but it only happened the week of the draft and for one reason, so the Jets could hold out for the best possible deal.  Again, you've got nothing here.

What you guys dont understand is, GMinDenver is setting the market here with Revis.  So, based on what his value is of Revis in terms of picks - even though its clear nobody in the NFL who do this for a living agree with him - the Jets didnt get enough in return.

The Jets also did this to themselves.   The Trade rumors,  never offering any kind of extension, ignoring Revis,  the whole Woody vs Revis situation,  the keep Rex quiet situation, and so on did not help any potential trades.   When teams know he's a free agent after this year and it seems obvious Revis nor the Jets are on speaking terms or even on good terms, you kind of limit the possibilities.

Good teams aren't going to trade away a ton of picks for a potential one year rental.   So you're stuck with partners like the Bucs.  If they actually played along like they wanted their start CB here, maybe more teams would consider making an offer.  Maybe not because of the ridiculous contract demands, but you never know.

In the end, Woody screwed it up long ago, Idzik had nowhere to go and didn't do anything creative.   When every team knows you aren't going to resign the guy, what do you expect?  It's like the Tebow crap.   Nobody is going to trade for a guy you never gave a chance to even be a real backup.

The Jets wanted a 1/3/5, the Bucs wanted to give a 2/4, the Jets got a 1/3.  Would seem in this crazy little thing called negotiations, the final outcome fell waaaaaaaaay closer to the Jets price than the Bucs.  Not to mention the Bucs wanted the deal done weeks ago (back when they were offering a 2/4) but it only happened the week of the draft and for one reason, so the Jets could hold out for the best possible deal.  Again, you've got nothing here.

Numbers..  None of it will matter if the Jets draft some pro bowl players with 13 or a couple of picks after trading down 13.    But if they draft crap and Revis helps the Bucs become super bowl contenders, then you can say it was a horrible trade.    Right now it's all about who the Jets pick.

I think the "logic" is that because the Bucs failed to give more than they were okay with giving, that the Bucs won.

That's certainly a fair argument, but even still, if Watt doesn't hold out this year, there's really no comparison of the two situations.  And that's before you even get into things like Revis holding out for his rookie deal before that or faking injuries in mini-camp.

I have no excuses for his holdouts. But he deserved that DPOY in 09 and part of me always felt he didn't get it because he was a Jet.  A corner-back hasn't performed that well in a season as far back as I can ever remember.

The Jets also did this to themselves.   The Trade rumors,  never offering any kind of extension, ignoring Revis,  the whole Woody vs Revis situation,  the keep Rex quiet situation, and so on did not help any potential trades.   When teams know he's a free agent after this year and it seems obvious Revis nor the Jets are on speaking terms or even on good terms, you kind of limit the possibilities.

Good teams aren't going to trade away a ton of picks for a potential one year rental.   So you're stuck with partners like the Bucs.  If they actually played along like they wanted their start CB here, maybe more teams would consider making an offer.  Maybe not because of the ridiculous contract demands, but you never know.

In the end, Woody screwed it up long ago, Idzik had nowhere to go and didn't do anything creative.   When every team knows you aren't going to resign the guy, what do you expect?  It's like the Tebow crap.   Nobody is going to trade for a guy you never gave a chance to even be a real backup.

I think the Jets actions had less to do with the value than say, Revis and his crazy contract demands and the fact he's coming off a knee injury.  It just doesnt seem logical that if the Jets were standing on a mountain screaming we want Revis and will pay him whatever that all of sudden the trade market is through the roof. 

I'm sure there was some impact for the way the Jets went about things but its very minimal.  

What's your source for the bold? The Peter King article with no sources from the Jets' side of the negotiations? Lol!

You're a very small, vocal minority on this one. The Jets got the #13 pick in the draft for a player they weren't going to resign after this season, in a trade market that only had one interested team. The Jets'choices were to take that pick (plus the 3rd or 4th in 2014), or lose him in free agency to the Bucs next year and get the 100th pick in 2015 - because no matter how you want to gloss over that contract, the Jets were never going to pay Revis anywhere close to $16M/year. 

Did we not even make an offer to Revis? I havent heard one thing about us not being able to agree to a contract with him.  We could have at least tried to make this guy an offer since he "loves" the Jets so much

No, it seems we have no more dinner connections.

I bet ya a better deal would have came if we waited till Draft day......maybe other teams would have even got involved if their man was taken off the board early...who knows! 

Under difference circumstances I might agree, but the knee made a draft day trade next to impossible.  No team was going to trade for Revis without having a chance to look at him themselves.  At the very least, if there was any teams interested in doing that, they would have already got in touch with the Jets in order to set things up and to ask for their doctors to evaluate him.  If a team had come forward like that, it's possible you would have seen the Jets willing to wait, but there was no evidence of any other team but the Bucs interested in making a move for him.

Did we not even make an offer to Revis? I havent heard one thing about us not being able to agree to a contract with him.  We could have at least tried to make this guy an offer since he "loves" the Jets so much

Yes.  Idzik said last night that there was a substantial difference in what Revis thought he was worth and what the Jets were willing to pay.

When you're offering 11.5 mil (or whatever) and the guys says he won't play for less than 16, there's really nothing left to talk about.

Revis scoffs at the notion of a hometown discount. 

i agree. But I think either star, milliner or vaccaro would be safer.

Mingo scares the sh*t out of me

but i dig the o line picks

I'm not sold on early O line picks.  The Jets already did that, did well with picking Dbrick and Mangold, not so well with others, signed some veteran OL like faneca over the years, but in the end,   the Jets early first round OL drafts resulted in never winning a division, missing the playoffs more than making it, and if Rex gets dumped, 3 coaches over 7 years.     OL are the foundation of a franchise, but the Jets have shown that even with pro bowl first rounders, it doesn't result in winning anything.

It doesn't seem that they did.  Everything seems to suggest that there was a massive gap between what the Jets and Revis each thought he was worth, so the Jets had no interest in negotiating.  That only may have changed if a trade didn't end up happening.

Yes.  Idzik said last night that there was a substantial difference in what Revis thought he was worth and what the Jets were willing to pay.

When you're offering 11.5 mil (or whatever) and the guys says he won't play for less than 16, there's really nothing left to talk about.

Revis scoffs at the notion of a hometown discount. 

I like Gato's script better!

I bet ya a better deal would have came if we waited till Draft day......maybe other teams would have even got involved if their man was taken off the board early...who knows! 

Or, Tampa gets the CB they wanted in the draft, and there are exactly zero teams interested in trading for Revis. The Jets keep him for 2013, lose him in free agency, he counts $9M against the cap in 2014 (instead of the $0 he'll count now), and the Jets get the 100th pick in the 2015 draft. 

Pretty big gamble to get -what?- something better than the #13 overall this year? 

The Bucs, Browns, Bengals, Jags, and Eagles are the ONLY teams in the league who could carry a 16M player right now, and that's before the draft.

Granted, other teams are close and could probably make it work, but the field is not so big for a 16M contract, regardless of the player.

Or, Tampa gets the CB they wanted in the draft, and there are exactly zero teams interested in trading for Revis. The Jets keep him for 2013, lose him in free agency, he counts $9M against the cap in 2014 (instead of the $0 he'll count now), and the Jets get the 100th pick in the 2015 draft. 

Pretty big gamble to get -what?- something better than the #13 overall this year? 

Nobody was interested for months now besides the Bucs,  what team would suddenly jump in the mix at the last minute knowing the salary demand and the trade demand?     The only thing that would happen is the Jets can't trade Revis and lose him next year for nothing.    

Getting the 13th pick is a good thing.   

I'm not sold on early O line picks.  The Jets already did that, did well with picking Dbrick and Mangold, not so well with others, signed some veteran OL like faneca over the years, but in the end,   the Jets early first round OL drafts resulted in never winning a division, missing the playoffs more than making it, and if Rex gets dumped, 3 coaches over 7 years.     OL are the foundation of a franchise, but the Jets have shown that even with pro bowl first rounders, it doesn't result in winning anything.

yea but we can get back to opening gigantic wholes for our running game. Which is what made us a great team those first 2 years with rex

yea but we can get back to opening gigantic wholes for our running game. Which is what made us a great team those first 2 years with rex

A great team? 

Jets need to build a passing game, like the other 31 teams in the league. 

Archived