Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik had three choices....

- Pay a CB coming off a serious injury $16 million.

- Get a 3rd Ed comp pick

- Negotiate a trade

He took the option I like best.

Best of a bad situation. Move on.

Expected at least another pick 2nd-3rd this year. We got screwed again.

You expected higher than the top offer then.  Not one NFL team was willing to offer jack squat except Tampa Bay.  

You don't just have to find people willing to give up in excess of those draft picks.  You have to also find someone willing to pay Revis $16M/year as well.  Only 1 team, Tampa Bay, was willing to do that.  It's not like it was some secret that we were looking to trade Revis.  Anyone could have come in with a better offer yet no one did.

Unfortunately, this is the trade value that Revis carries because of his gargantuan salary demands. 

Other teams who let go of premiere players ended up with nothing because they could not accept this.  See what Houston got for Mario Williams and what Carolina got for Julius Peppers.

It amazes me how clueless some of you are.  Getting a 1st rd and a conditional 3rd is better than nothing which is exactly what we would have gotten after the season if Idzik did not trade him. Idzik had no choice especially with the fracture in the revis/jets relationship and also the fact that there were no other teams interested.  it sucks that Revis is gone, but have to look ahead.  I for one will not bash Idzik until we see what he does with the picks.

The more I think about it, too, the more I expect the Jets to trade back from #13 rather than #9. Makes it more difficult to trace years down the road what the Jets actually got out of the Revis trade. :D

Trade official: Darrelle Revis passed physical. Bucs send 1st in 2013 and conditional 4th in 2014 that could be 3rd to Jets. More on ESPNews

@AdamSchefter: Revis received 6-yr deal that makes him highest paid DB in NFL history but includes NO guaranteed $$. None.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Is this all true?  Only 2 picks, 1 in this draft and Revis didnt even get guaranteed money?

Come'on. 

Idzik had three choices....

- Pay a CB coming off a serious injury $16 million.

- Get a 3rd Ed comp pick

- Negotiate a trade

He took the option I like best.

Best of a bad situation. Move on.

There was another option. Make him play his contract  out and possibly sign him next season.

I was all for trading Revis but that was with the caveat we get a lot of picks. Making this move with such minimal compensation was STUPID!

Horrible trade for the Jets I expected at least a this years 1st rounder and next year's 3rd and 5th rounders or even this year's 1st rounder and a conditional 1st rounder in 2014 but this deal is reportedly for this year's 1st and next years conditional 4th rounder HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

You would have done what? Kept him and gotten nothing?

That's a Deion Sanders mercenary contract. There's obviously no way he sees Year Three of a deal as fat as that, so it gives both the team and player flexibility to walk away from it. Revis likely gets to be a FA at 29, which he'll want is Tampa falls off. Meanwhile, Tampa gets to make a run at a title for two (or three) years. Win-win.

This is horrible if true. Just two picks and one of them is next year. Just awful! Just effing awful!! For that kindda picks we should not have traded.

Revis signed a trade with no guaranteed money that's unbelievable.

So you'd rather have Revis for 1 year, when we have no shot at the Super Bowl, and take the 3rd round compensatory pick?  Quit whining, we all knew we weren't going to be winners in all of this.

I would love to hear what some of the cry-babies here would have liked the Jets to have done.  Paid him the $16 million / year that all of his staunchest defenders baselessly claimed wasn't true, and were proven completely wrong about?  Or simply turn down the Bucs offer because it "wasn't enough" for a guy coming off a knee injury that nobody else wanted, and let him walk for nothing in a year?  I would have loved more out of trade, and was hoping for it, but the Jets got the #13 pick in a draft for an injured player, ready to walk in a year with insane contract demands and 4 years removed from his peak.  And this is supposed to be such a horrible deal for the Jets how exactly?

It amazes me how clueless some of you are.  Getting a 1st rd and a conditional 3rd is better than nothing which is exactly what we would have gotten after the season if Idzik did not trade him. Idzik had no choice especially with the fracture in the revis/jets relationship and also the fact that there were no other teams interested.  it sucks that Revis is gone, but have to look ahead.  I for one will not bash Idzik until we see what he does with the picks.

I think we should be going as far to say - Thank the fu$king lord the Bucs outbid themselves and we were able to secure this much.

CB - Coming off major surgery - Costs $16M per year - No other teams seriously interested......and we landed the 13th pick overall + a mid rounder next year.

We were lucky.

So you'd rather have Revis for 1 year, when we have no shot at the Super Bowl, and take the 3rd round compensatory pick?  Quit whining, we all knew we weren't going to be winners in all of this.

Eff you too!

Yes you can make a HOF CB play for one year at 6.5 mill and then when you have cap space see what you can do. This deal is putrid.

You are just resigned into accepting bad deals by years of Tanny goof ups. So its just another bend over move that goes down well with you!

I would love to hear what some of the cry-babies here would have liked the Jets to have done. Paid him the $16 million / year that all of his staunchest defenders baselessly claimed wasn't true, and were proven completely wrong about? Or simply turn down the Bucs offer because it "wasn't enough" for a guy coming off a knee injury that nobody else wanted, and let him walk for nothing in a year? I would have loved more out of trade, and was hoping for it, but the Jets got the #13 pick in a draft for an injured player, ready to walk in a year with insane contract demands and 4 years removed from his peak. And this is supposed to be such a horrible deal for the Jets how exactly?

If he signed for $12 mil per, we'd have the right to complain about the compensation. But at $16m per, that's GTFO money.

The Jets were neverrrrrrrrrrrr going to give Revis $16m per. It's absurd money.

Yeah but this is all they could get. They could have waited even after the draft or start of training camp or trading deadline. Because if Revis shut down one good WR there would have been more interest and better compensation.

I understand at the end there is possibility of not getting anything but thats what one has to be willing to accept if they want to get the best deal.

The JETS are getting the short straw in this deal. There is no denying that. I guess the "No, not again we got screwed" part of it upsets me.

You would have done what? Kept him and gotten nothing?

NO, I would have waited for the season to begin in which case it gives Revis a chance to be back to his oldself. All teams will see that and will become a lot more interested. Then you look to trade him before the Trade deadline and have an out bidding war for him. That strategy would have def netted 2 1st rounders

Eff you too!

Yes you can make a HOF CB play for one year at 6.5 mill and then when you have cap space see what you can do. This deal is putrid.

You are just resigned into accepting bad deals by years of Tanny goof ups. So its just another bend over move that goes down well with you!

And then you lose him next year because in free agency, when teams wouldn't have to give up the 13th pick in the draft, plus, there's no way the Jets would be able to -or want to- keep up with bidding that reached $16M/year or more. 

If he signed for $12 mil per, we'd have the right to complain about the compensation. But at $16m per, that's GTFO money.

Exactly, which is the exact reason Gato and bit spent the better part of the past two months endlessly claiming that the $16 million / year number was a complete fabrication, because even they couldn't defend the Jets giving him that much.

To me this looks like a one year deal in which the Bucs and Revis go back to the table next year should Revis show up and play well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Revis is cut and then immediately resigned to avoid the 3rd round pick either... But, that's just me.

Yeah but this is all they could get. They could have waited even after the draft or start of training camp or trading deadline. Because if Revis shut down one good WR there would have been more interest and better compensation.

I understand at the end there is possibility of not getting anything but thats what one has to be willing to accept if they want to get the best deal.

The JETS are getting the short straw in this deal. There is no denying that. I guess the "No, not again we got screwed" part of it upsets me.

No team goes into a season with a free $16 mil lying around to trade for a CB.

And then you lose him next year because in free agency, when teams wouldn't have to give up the 13th pick in the draft, plus, there's no way the Jets would be able to -or want to- keep up with bidding that reached $16M/year or more. 

I am bummed at this point. Gotta get a drink. And i do not drink during the day.

My point was:

They could have waited even after the draft or start of training camp or trading deadline. Because if Revis shut down one good WR there would have been more interest and better compensation.

Archived