Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams usually do much worse for high-end/crazy-dollar players like Revis.  They hold onto their player and thumb their nose at these reasonable offers and in the end they get nothing except a future compensatory pick (which disappears if they sign another player anyway).

Nobody is disputing that.

But to get the best deal you have to ready for the worst case scenario and be able to live with it. Many teams have done that, teams like the Steelers (with Mike Wallace). Why ? Because this also sends a message to the league that you are willing to live with the worst case scenario so if you want something bad from us be willing to pay for it. The message Idzik send is he will wilt. Maybe he will not wilt as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. And the chances of well managed teams like Steelers going to the SB before the JETS are a lot higher.

]The Bucs have what they wanted at the price they wanted. No one can say the Bucs lost this trade. The trade and the Revis extension works out super effing perfect for them. And we get the short end again!

Ultimately, the Jets got what they could.  Sure, we hoped it would be more, but we got a 1+, and that's more than we would have gotten next year.  We weren't giving Revis the 16M a year no matter what, so we were going to lose him after this year.  Unless this was the Super Bowl year, it was over.

The facts are:

There were no other bidders in this, so no one to drive up the price.

The Bucs had to give up big money on top of their compensation to the Jets.

The last time Revis was on a field, he had to be dragged off, and no CB has ever returned to that level from this injury.

The Jets would have gotten a 3rd rounder at best for him after the year.

It was the right move. the compensation is light however, personally i think we should have recieved a 5th also in 14' or at least one other pick somewhere. Nonetheless, this sucks. Revis was the one player i can point to on the jets and say " that guy is STUD" and people would agree. Oh well, life of a Jet fan. 

This years draft is wack too.

Idzik got more value than the original offer. He did well, IMO.

Veteran players don't usually fetch 1st round picks, especially not 1st inside top 15, with extra.

What if those veteran players have blown out knees and haven't played a down since?  What then?

]The Bucs have what they wanted at the price they wanted. No one can say the Bucs lost this trade. The trade and the Revis extension works out super effing perfect for them. And we get the short end again!

If someone offered you $2 million dollars for your Honda Civic because they really wanted it, would you call them "winners"?

But to get the best deal you have to ready for the worst case scenario and be able to live with it. Many teams have done that, teams like the Steelers (with Mike Wallace). Why ? Because this also sends a message to the league that you are willing to live with the worst case scenario so if you want something bad from us be willing to pay for it. The message Idzik send is he will wilt. Maybe he will not wilt as soon as Tanny but eventually he will cave in. That has far reaching consequences of this organization to get the best deal from anyone going forward. And the chances of well managed teams like Steelers going to the SB before the JETS are a lot higher.

I would have to imagine him playing it tight to the vest the last few months in order to finagle the first round pick, that was supposedly off-limits, from the only team interested in dealing for him is not how most people would describe "caving."  Caving would be Revis excepting zero guaranteed dollars on a contract that could cut him after the year is over...but hey, he can say he's the highest paid cornerback in the league again.

Ultimately, the Jets got what they could.  Sure, we hoped it would be more, but we got a 1+, and that's more than we would have gotten next year.  We weren't giving Revis the 16M a year no matter what, so we were going to lose him after this year.  Unless this was the Super Bowl year, it was over.

The facts are:

There were no other bidders in this, so no one to drive up the price.

The Bucs had to give up big money on top of their compensation to the Jets.

The last time Revis was on a field, he had to be dragged off, and no CB has ever returned to that level from this injury.

The Jets would have gotten a 3rd rounder at best for him after the year.

I dont disagree with this but to your 3rd point..Cromartie has come back more than once.

I had an irrational hope that the Bucs would do something very stupid, fueled by media speculation about what was on the table.

They did not. The media was wrong. I'm happy with the trade.

I'm not going to cry about a team that was essentially bidding against itself not outbidding themselves. I also will not cry that we didn't get the lucky chance to outbid thirty two teams for the right to pay Darrelle Revis free agent money next year.

No one can say the Bucs lost this trade.

What if he can't play up to the same level post-injury?

What if he can play and holds out after year one, getting that guaranteed money he passed up this time?

What if the Bucs finish 3rd in the division and don't make the playoffs for the foreseeable future?

What if those veteran players have blown out knees and haven't played a down since?  What then?

LOL, that is the reality. IMO, we had no business getting the #13.

I thought it was being floated to set the expectation that the trade wouldn't happen.

Look, it sucks that we don't have Revis.  But if you think you can draft a pro bowl player at #13, and sign a pro bowl level free agent like Cromartie for $8M/year (or one for $6M and another for $10M), you don't pass up on 3 pro bowl players for Revis, no matter how great he was once (and may or may not be again).

Even if you think you could rationalize your way to doing that, you certainly don't do that when you're the 2013 Jets with 10 effective holes at key starting positions.

And I missed the part when teams offered a 1st rounder and more for Mike Wallace.  If they did receive that offer, and they turned it down only to get nothing a year later, then they're f*cking stupid.

What if he can play and holds out after year one, getting that guaranteed money he passed up this time?

What if the Bucs finish 3rd in the division and don't make the playoffs for the foreseeable future?

The third option is inevitable. They got Revis and will battle Carolina for 3rd now.

Saints and Falcons aren't crumbling anytime soon.

The first contradicts the second. And why do i care what the Bucs do. Maybe a little bit to see what 3rs/4th pick we get next season.

Hey Revis may not be Revis any more, and the Punks paying him $16 Mill per! - Feck that.

He's a great player but one whiny B#tch. How much better Pass D is $16 mill per worth.

Give me a 15 Sack per year man any day. Lets trade down and start to refill this roster.

Go Jets!

What makes it even better is using the "future years' draft picks count for less" theory, two first rounders (which the Jets would never get) would still net out to less value than what the Jets got, as they would have to be 2014 and 2015 picks.

I do not think GM's use the chart that is so freely available on the internet.

I am sure the ones they use are more sophisticated modeled version which take into account many other complex variables.

Question is what makes us better as a team to compete for a SB. 2 firsts in 2014 and 2015 OR one pick in 2013. AFter this draft it will take the mother of all miracles to get us to the playoffs!

Cromartie played excellent last season. If Kyle Wilson steps it up and we draft Mingo and Jones and then Rambo  the defense just got better.

all sounds hopeful besides kyle wilson stepping up. Although, he just shaved his dreads so maybe that will help him from getting turned around by wide receivers all season long again

Teams usually do much worse for high-end/crazy-dollar players like Revis.  They hold onto their player and thumb their nose at these reasonable offers and in the end they get nothing except a future compensatory pick (which disappears if they sign another player anyway).

That's another great part, you're talking about keeping a rebuilding team that would finally have some cap room again from being able to make any sort of big FA move otherwise they would surrender that comp pick that would be still 2 years away.

Moore won't come back here. 

He will if we make Sanchez wear Preparation H on his nose to help with Moore's hemorrhoids.  

And even if he would rather stay a free agent than take $2M from us, I'd sooner save that space to sweeten an offer for a worthy player with a future here than 1 year of Blount.  

Archived