Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

What did we get?  A draft pick that might not even make the roster or be another Vernon Gholston.

Who is to say what the pick will become. Draft picks are always gambles but you can be certain the pick, whoever it is will be making the roster. What did you think we were receiving as compensation? Most media outlets speculated the Jets were asking for a 1st,3rd, and 5th. We got the 1st(by far the biggest piece), a likely 2014 3rd(maybe a 4th but only if he's not rostered by Tampa.unlikely). So we didn't get a 5th? Big deal. Props to our GM for not budging and getting the 1.13. With no other teams bidding, I think that's an accomplishment. You can go ahead and start crying we got screwed like all the other lemmings on here but the simple truth is that we did well considering our lack of leverage

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea, but unless they cut him, it would appear they're paying him $16 million this year.  With no bonuses it sounds like its a series of 1-year contracts, each worth $16 million.  It's a good deal in that get to decide when the contract ends without penalty, it's a bad deal in terms of cap space.  If they ever want to sign Freeman to an extension, they will likely no longer be able to afford Revis.

Thats effing awesome deal!

Get one year tryouts for a HOF player at 16 mill per chance. Most teams would take that. If this deal had been leaked more teams would have dialed in for the trade!

No idea, but unless they cut him, it would appear they're paying him $16 million this year.  With no bonuses it sounds like its a series of 1-year contracts, each worth $16 million.  It's a good deal in that get to decide when the contract ends without penalty, it's a bad deal in terms of cap space.  If they ever want to sign Freeman to an extension, they will likely no longer be able to afford Revis.

Thats the funny part, for the Bucs to be any good as they assume,  he needs to have a contract renegotiated next year.   So if the Bucs make the playoffs, win a game or two and and has a 22 TD 10 INT season, suddenly he'll be asking for 15-20 mil per year.   Not really worth it, but Flacco wasn't worth 20Mil per year either so.

Get one year tryouts for a HOF player at 16 mill per chance. Most teams would take that. If this deal had been leaked more teams would have dialed in for the trade!

Most teams didn't want to pay $16 mil per year for a CB.  Otherwise 20 teams would've been in the trade conversations.

One Pro Bowl player drafted at 13, two Pro Bowl players signed at $8M/year for the $16M you're not paying Revis.

The Jets did alright. They got more than the Vikings did for Percy Harvin, and while Revis is better than Harvin he's also coming off a torn ACL, getting paid significantly more, a constant risk to hold out, they had no control over him after this season, and were unwilling to extend him. There was a one team market for Revis, and the Jets had to trade him. It could have been a lot worse. I'm not happy they traded him, but under the circumstances Idzik did well.

Let me know when Harvin is even whispered to be a potential HOFamer.

So an extra 3rd next year plus 4 possible compensatory picks for the players we lost this year?  And 50 Mil under the cap lol. 

The future is bright.

The future is only bright if they know how to pick players.  And the compensatory picks mean little.  Maybe they do well, maybe they don't.  Teams don't depend on compensatory picks to become good.

LOL.  I made it up, so it's true!

Why?  And if the draft is so bad that you need to trade down,  why would other teams trade up?   And give up a lot to do so?

Just because you trade down doesn't mean you wind up with studs either.   The Jets could pick pro bowl players at 9 & 13 or they could pick scrubs.

The Jets could trade down and get nothing because the guys they wanted were long gone.  Or they could trade down and get some extra picks.

In a bad draft, trading down just to trade down does what?     I dont see many teams giving up the farm for 9 or 13 this year.  So they might trade down and get an extra pick somewhere that wouldn't do all that much anyway.

Because of need.  The Jets have more needs than those who might be willing to trade up.

In this draft, allegedly, the talent is about even through at least pick 20.  But that doesn't mean players of equal talent are available through pick 20 at all positions.  A team picking at 18 might want to move up to #9 very badly because even though they can get an equal-talent player later, they can't necessarily at the position they want to or with a specific type of player that fits their scheme on offense or defense.  

In this regard, the Jets have the "advantage" of sorts, because we have needs at every position except maybe on the DL, left tackle, and center.  So for the Jets, anyone they get at #18-22 is as good and as useful as anyone they'd get at #9 or #13.   

In a bad draft, trading down just to trade down does what?     I dont see many teams giving up the farm for 9 or 13 this year.  So they might trade down and get an extra pick somewhere that wouldn't do all that much anyway.

Just because its a bad draft doesn't mean there isn't some team out there that will be enamored with a player at 9 or 13.  It happens in every draft no matter how weak.  

Most teams do not want to be caught in a HUGE contract with guarantteed money. This deal means they are not caught in the deal. Its a one year tryout!

I agree, it means teams aren't locked into Sanchez like deals.    I imagine there has to be something on the Revis side to sign this deal.  Especially considering the guy always seemed to want guaranteed money.  

But again, it seemed most teams didn't want to pay Revis $16 mil per year, considering the Bucs seemed to be the only team interested.

I agree, it means teams aren't locked into Sanchez like deals.    I imagine there has to be something on the Revis side to sign this deal.  Especially considering the guy always seemed to want guaranteed money.  

But again, it seemed most teams didn't want to pay Revis $16 mil per year, considering the Bucs seemed to be the only team interested.

We will never know. Because it was never known before the trade went thru.

Because of need.  The Jets have more needs than those who might be willing to trade up.

In this draft, allegedly, the talent is about even through at least pick 20.  But that doesn't mean players of equal talent are available through pick 20 at all positions.  A team picking at 18 might want to move up to #9 very badly because even though they can get an equal-talent player later, they can't necessarily at the position they want to or with a specific type of player that fits their scheme on offense or defense.  

In this regard, the Jets have the "advantage" of sorts, because we have needs at every position except maybe on the DL, left tackle, and center.  So for the Jets, anyone they get at #18-22 is as good and as useful as anyone they'd get at #9 or #13.   

I kind of agree, but if the Jets want Austin or Geno,  then trading down means they won't get those guys.   I'm not sold on either, but there has to be a better plan than just putting players on the field.  "Hey we need an G, so lets draft whomever in the 4th and hope he plays" is not a good strategy.

I'm just not a big fan of trading down just to trade down.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

The future is only bright if they know how to pick players.  And the compensatory picks mean little.  Maybe they do well, maybe they don't.  Teams don't depend on compensatory picks to become good.

Who's saying they are depending on it?  It's an ancillary benefit to purging bad contracts and old or mediocre players.  4 extra picks in a better draft means more than a little.  If for nothing else being able to package them to move up for players they may be targeting.

So an extra 3rd next year plus 4 possible compensatory picks for the players we lost this year?  And 50 Mil under the cap lol. 

The future is bright.

It does and it doesn't.  We still need a QB.  Get that one thing taken care of and we'll be in great shape.  Easier said than done, though.

But we'll be a lot better off than we would have with Tannenbaum prolonging the pain by slow-peeling the bandaid off with his idiotic restructures that keeps bad and has-been players locked in to big money.

We will never know. Because it was never known before the trade went thru.

If there were other teams out there, it would have helped the Jets to leak that info.   49ers, Eagles, and Bucs fighting over Revis could mean one team overpaying for him.  Instead it was just the Bucs.     It seemed the Bucs were the only team.

Who's saying they are depending on it?  It's an ancillary benefit to purging bad contracts and old or mediocre players.  4 extra picks in a better draft means more than a little.  If for nothing else being able to package them to move up for players they may be targeting.

You can't trade compensatory picks.

Like Keyshawn Johnson Revis will still be a Jet to me.

I just learned a valuable life lesson today.

I will not buy any Jets authentic jerseys unless its a player like Namath,Boozer,Maynard or Chrebet.

I can now add Revis to the box along with Pennington.

The assumption that next year is a better draft is the funny part.   It's just assumed this year is a bad draft so next year should be better.  

Good teams seem to find good players in every draft.  Bad teams just hope for next year.     I hope the Jets find good players in this years draft, and then good players in next years draft.     

Having a ton of draft picks next year means little if the jets draft sucks this year.    Thats why just adding picks means nothing.   Adding good players with those picks is what matters the most.  Right now we have no clue about Idzik and this FO.  So far they just know now to cut  a team, not build one.  

I really don't want to see the Jets trading down both picks so far that it seems they are far more concerned with saving money than adding good players.

I kind of agree, but if the Jets want Austin or Geno,  then trading down means they won't get those guys.   I'm not sold on either, but there has to be a better plan than just putting players on the field.  "Hey we need an G, so lets draft whomever in the 4th and hope he plays" is not a good strategy.

I'm just not a big fan of trading down just to trade down.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

The Jets are in no position to get infatuated with any one player.  The only exception would be Geno, and that's only because he's a QB.

If you can get a similar player later - and if you don't blow the pick - then trading down makes sense.  That goes double for a team so devoid of talent.  We need more players therefore we need more picks so every swing and a miss on a pick isn't so magnified.

It does and it doesn't.  We still need a QB.  Get that one thing taken care of and we'll be in great shape.  Easier said than done, though.

But we'll be a lot better off than we would have with Tannenbaum prolonging the pain by slow-peeling the bandaid off with his idiotic restructures that keeps bad and has-been players locked in to big money.

If the jets turn these picks into 3rd rounders this year + 1sts next year you know they are doing it right. 

Archived