"Familiarize yourselves with Jarvis Jones"

Gastineau Lives

The Jets have about 7 pressing needs. Draft the BPA at one of those needs. Milliner isn't going to be an elite CB and CB isn't one of those needs. 

honestly all would depend on who is there at 9 & 13 but i am hoping for  MIngo at 9 or trade down. at 13 take best player available 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think so but offenses only attempted 13 more passes against us in 2012 than they did in 2011. That's 0.7 a game. True story. Percentage and ypa are independent of volume, to boot.

That's definitely interesting, glad someone put in the leg work.  That actually puts me a bit more at ease to be honest.

Right because they are set for life with an overpriced vet and a young player who hasn't shown much with a 2 years left on his rookie deal.  They'll just sign 2 $5M FAs next year and be set for life.

They aren't set anywhere. They suck as a team. The fact remains that the Jets had a corner playing Hall of Fame football for years and were still a mediocre team going nowhere. You don't rebuild a team by drafting corners in the first round. 

Jets are DEFINITELY not set at corner. 

Exactly.  Everyone besides Cro (including Wilson) are eminently replaceable.  Now, I wouldn't advocate forcing the pick and drafting a corner in the 1st if you have someone else higher on the board.  But if the picks are there we ought to come out of the draft with at least a guy who can push for Lankster's nickle corner duties.

If the Jets take a CB in the first round of this draft, that CB better not only be tremendous, but also be extremely strong-minded - because that CB will be compared to Darrelle Revis for the entirety of his career. It's a terrible position for a young player to be in. 

They're probably better off not going in that direction. 

I understand from that stand point.  There would be a lot of pressure for him. But I do like the kid a lot. 

They aren't set anywhere. They suck as a team. The fact remains that the Jets had a corner playing Hall of Fame football for years and were still a mediocre team going nowhere. You don't rebuild a team by drafting corners in the first round. 

If a CB is the best player on the board you draft a corner or trade down.  If we're in a situation where that's the case and we don't find a trade-down partner, maybe bad news to you, but guess what.....might as well draft the corner.  You absolutely CAN rebuild a team with corners; Revis was the biggest reason other than Rex that we went from a lousy team in 2007 to a playoff team in 2009-10.

you rebuild EVERYWHERE on the field, why restrict yourself to saying you ONLY rebuild with pass-rushers or QB's?  We need those too, but at this stage, we need FOOTBALL PLAYERS, an influx of talent, and unless you're talking about drafting kickers, punters or fullbacks, I'm on board with getting the best possible players no matter what position they play.

Right.  They never won any playoff games with Revis...  This is the most moronic call I've heard yet.  They need a QB.  They might as well not try until they get one?

Jets were second against the pass last year. QB's completed 53 % of their passes for a 6.5 ypa.

Our offense is horrific. Do the math. Or don't do the math and screw offense, who needs it? We can win 13 - 10 every week.

If we draft two defensive players in the first round, I will become a lame-duck fan until at least 2015.

Ok, so I guess your gonna be the guy cheering if we take an OG with are 9th pick?

Right.  They never won any playoff games with Revis...  This is the most moronic call I've heard yet.  They need a QB.  They might as well not try until they get one?

They need offesnive players who will score the football or a guy who can sack the QB and thats what they should been looking for if they draft at 9 or 13. 

I wasn't aware guards score the football or sack the QB.  Are we sure he isn't talking about Vlad Ducasse?  He's good at getting pressure on the QB.

As I said the first option should be a offensive playmaker or a pass rusher. If those guys aren't there there is nothing wrong with taking a G of that quality. 

Right because they are set for life with an overpriced vet and a young player who hasn't shown much with a 2 years left on his rookie deal. They'll just sign 2 $5M FAs next year and be set for life.

I liked what I saw out of Lankster, Walls and others while Revis was out. That doesn't stop us from drafting a CB, but there are other positions of greater need.

As I said the first option should be a offensive playmaker or a pass rusher. If those guys aren't there there is nothing wrong with taking a G of that quality. 

I think we just need to trade down from either 9 or 13 REGARDLESS of who is on the board.  It'll give us so much flexibility to just draft the pure BPA every pick.  Maybe get the Niners or Vikings into a bidding war for 13 so we can squeeze something like # 31, # 34 and a 5th rounder out of it.

And even with Revis playing like a hall of famer (which Miliner isn't close to) the Jets were still mediocre. You just made my point for me. As great as a CB might be there are still 1 or 2 other WR's, a TE and a RB on the field. Pass rushers and offensive playmakers are what wins games.

I'm aware that there is RB's and tight ends on the field too..thats why we have defensive lineman and linebackers, no? I'm not over here saying a cb has to be responsible for every offensive player...and how do you know what Milliner will make of his career? that kid could easily turn into a Hall of Famer one day but I would never speculate that before his draft day....

and pass rushers and offensive playmakers are what win games???? ummmmm....not really buddy...they play a role just like ever other part of the team does.

Dude, be happy I'm not sharing my wings and nachos with you on draft day bc your gonna be really pisst if the Jets draft a Guard at #9 and the bowl of nachos you were just enjoying just went the the TV...but hey, at least you got your guard.

I don't get it, Bit.  At first you were all: "Hell no, I don't want no guard--they belong in like, the third round!"

Then you were all: "Come to think, these guards fill a need and they are BAP around where we draft...it makes the most sense!"

Now you're like: "I'm over it.  Guards are lame.  Gimme a fast midget and a Tight End that's not ranked anywhere near as high as those dumb guards!  Guards are so stupid!"

None of the players changed, were arrested, pissed hot on a drug test, got any slower or faster or beat an unruly woman.  What's with the changes of heart?  Or are you so into the draft thingy you're getting bombarded with opinions to the point of cancer?  Cause I've seen it happen.  it's not pretty.

truth be told if the Jets draft Cooper or Warmack I am personally thrilled.  I played guard in hs and college and i love the OL. But i don't get a pick. 

in fact It's not really about what I want. Historically they don't do exactly what the fans want... I know it's a new GM but it's still the Jets 

Look at the roster the WR corp is worse than the guard corp. and they don't have a starting TE. Colon and Vlad is actually better than Hill & Kerley (and holmes who might never recover correctly from lisfranc). It's not great but WR is worse.

the crazy thing is on Philly.com they have tavon austin going 4 rumors. 

I liked what I saw out of Lankster, Walls and others while Revis was out. That doesn't stop us from drafting a CB, but there are other positions of greater need.

I agree, but I don't want to draft for need.  Mike does not like Milliner as a prospect and apparently loves Warmack and Cooper.   That's a fair viewpoint, but a blanket "don't draft a corner" philosophy is moronic.  This is especially true since CB is a higher value position than OG.

I agree, but I don't want to draft for need.  Mike does not like Milliner as a prospect and apparently loves Warmack and Cooper.   That's a fair viewpoint, but a blanket "don't draft a corner" philosophy is moronic.  This is especially true since CB is a higher value position than OG.

It's akin to the guys who say I hate player X at this draft slot, they should just draft an OLB or DE, because that's what we need, while not knowing whether a single OLB or DE is worthy of that draft slot.  

I personally detest taking a guard in the top 15 picks when you have such a dearth of talent at the skill-positions and it's historically easier to find quality player in the later rounds for OGs than the skill positions.  I like the Mingo/Austin combination or the Mingo/trade down scenario and go from there.  While I wouldn't be absolutely pissed about Warmack or Cooper at 13, I'd rather nab one in a trade down and I truly feel one of them is going to drop to the bottom third, just like Decastro did.

I think we just need to trade down from either 9 or 13 REGARDLESS of who is on the board.  It'll give us so much flexibility to just draft the pure BPA every pick.  Maybe get the Niners or Vikings into a bidding war for 13 so we can squeeze something like # 31, # 34 and a 5th rounder out of it.

The only bidding war that will happen is between us and one of the other five teams looking to trade down.

I've been on the record advocating the selection of Tavon Austin, for all of the reasons mentioned; he's a special talent. But the question has evolved from, "Is he a good addition to our team?", to, "Is he better than the two other players we could draft if we allow another team to move up for him?"  

I say, "no".  

Tavon Austin might be incredible...he might get injured on a constant basis; who knows?.  But I would rather have a Keenan Allen/DeAndre Hopkins/Quinton Patton and a 2nd round TE (meaning top-4), than a playmaking slot receiver. 

JiF.  He is very small.   He'll probably be a good slot WR, but I really can't see him as an outside guy.  I don't want any part of him at 9 or 13.  If some other team is in love with him, and wants to trade down, I'll be thrilled.

In all honesty I will take either of the guards, Jarvis Jones, Jordan, or a few other players before him. 

Later in the draft?  Yeah.  Not at 9 or 13

Ok, fine and I can dig that...but, calling him a "horrific" prospect or whatever, is silly.  He's far from horrific. 

The steelers don't usually draft linebackers in rd 1. Timmons i guess was the one exception. But they found Harrison undrafted and they have a ton of guys they've been developing. Worilds is the next man up. 

I dont know what that has to do with anything.  Do the Steelers draft the same position every year in the first round?  

OL, DL, OL, DL, RB, LB, WR, TE, QB, S - are their last 10, 1st round picks - I dont think there is a pattern there that can make you definitively say, the Steelers do or dont do anything particular in the draft.  

I still maintain they take him if he's there. 

I've been on the record advocating the selection of Tavon Austin, for all of the reasons mentioned; he's a special talent. But the question has evolved from, "Is he a good addition to our team?", to, "Is he better than the two other players we could draft if we allow another team to move up for him?"  

I say, "no".  

Tavon Austin might be incredible...he might get injured on a constant basis; who knows?.  But I would rather have a Keenan Allen/DeAndre Hopkins/Quinton Patton and a 2nd round TE (meaning top-4), than a playmaking slot receiver. 

The guy is also Devin Hester returning punts and kickoffs.

Injuries? How many games did Wes Welker miss because of injury? He's never played less than 14 games in a season. Austin is an inch shorter and eleven pounds lighter, which means he's got just about the same body mass. He's also never missed a game due to injury and doesn't take gigantic hits because of his quickness, hell many of his td runs would count if they were playing two hand touch.

He's a (much, it's not even close) faster, quicker Wes Welker. A singular talent. No way do you pass on him for fear of a)Something that has never happened (injury) or b ) Him "busting" (highly unlikely)

truth be told if the Jets draft Cooper or Warmack I am personally thrilled.  I played guard in hs and college and i love the OL. But i don't get a pick. 

in fact It's not really about what I want. Historically they don't do exactly what the fans want... I know it's a new GM but it's still the Jets 

Look at the roster the WR corp is worse than the guard corp. and they don't have a starting TE. Colon and Vlad is actually better than Hill & Kerley (and holmes who might never recover correctly from lisfranc). It's not great but WR is worse.

the crazy thing is on Philly.com they have tavon austin going 4 rumors. 

I'm with you for the most part, except for Vlad.  I see him as a career backup at best. 

As for Austin flying up the draft boards, I think he's become a media darling more than a legitimate top ten prospect.  His tape is flashy and exciting, a much easier article to write than say "which guard has better balance" or "which Tackle slides laterally the best".  A top ten prospect should have all the stars aligned in his facor from tape, to personality, to combine numbers to prototype physical attributes.  Which is why I think Mingo is overrated as well.  I don't see Austin going top ten Thursday night.  Too much of a Ted Ginn Jr. situation.

Better than a goddamned cornerback.

Why would you want an OG with the 9th pick overall? There are more than enough decent guards in free agency each year and later in the draft as well. You draft play makers in the top 10 or even a cornerstone OT that's gonna dominate right/left side of the line for 10 years!!  So gimme a cb or a pass rusher or even a OT for our 9th pick.....BUT NOT A DAMN OFFENSIVE GUARD!!!!!

Why would you want an OG with the 9th pick overall? There are more than enough decent guards in free agency each year and later in the draft as well. You draft play makers in the top 10 or even a cornerstone OT that's gonna dominate right/left side of the line for 10 years!!  So gimme a cb or a pass rusher or even a OT for our 9th pick.....BUT NOT A DAMN OFFENSIVE GUARD!!!!!

I guess you haven't seen all the decent CB free agents. My original post was about drafting a playmaker and now you use that as your second sentence. And we were talking about drafting two defensive players in the first round. I say **** that no way.

You still haven't explained why our pass defense was number two last year, by the way. And don't say because our run defense and offense sucked, because I will then show how that is a fallacy. Go on, do it.

You should change your screenname to Mezzo Sciangata. :winking0001:

Archived