"Familiarize yourselves with Jarvis Jones"

Gastineau Lives

I disagree and can careless about his 5 surgeries. I'll take this beast all day with his tibia stress fracture.

He's not even close to Revis now? Or when Revis was entering draft?  And a billion needs before corner?  And are you that confident in Kyle Wilson???? He is equal to some college freshman playing cornerback at Bama

If the Jets take a CB in the first round of this draft, that CB better not only be tremendous, but also be extremely strong-minded - because that CB will be compared to Darrelle Revis for the entirety of his career. It's a terrible position for a young player to be in. 

They're probably better off not going in that direction. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you say a cornerback has little impact on a game????  Revis has shutdown everyone including Megatron.  Now by taking Calvin Johnson out of the game or holding him to one measely catch will have little to no impact, right??? Okkkk budddyy you bet...

Jets were second against the pass last year. QB's completed 53 % of their passes for a 6.5 ypa.

Our offense is horrific. Do the math. Or don't do the math and screw offense, who needs it? We can win 13 - 10 every week.

If we draft two defensive players in the first round, I will become a lame-duck fan until at least 2015.

Jets were second against the pass last year. QB's completed 53 % of their passes for a 6.5 ypa.

Our offense is horrific. Do the math. Or don't do the math and screw offense, who needs it? We can win 13 - 10 every week.

If we draft two defensive players in the first round, I will become a lame-duck fan until at least 2015.

While we were very solid against the pass last year, I would have to speculate a lot of that was in large part to our rush defense being pretty woeful. And while I agree that our offense is horrible, I always like drafting BPA, it prevents us from reaching on a certain player.

This may be the first draft that I can remember that didn't have an offensive skill position player taken in the top 10.  Because they aren't worth the picks.  They are horrific.

Yep that's what the Jets should do.  Reach for one at 9

This may be the first draft that I can remember that didn't have an offensive skill position player taken in the top 10.  Because they aren't worth the picks.  They are horrific.

Oh, have we lost the thirteenth pick? I haven't checked rotoworld recently. Is there a link?

While we were very solid against the pass last year, I would have to speculate a lot of that was in large part to our rush defense being pretty woeful. And while I agree that our offense is horrible, I always like drafting BPA, it prevents us from reaching on a certain player.

You would think so but offenses only attempted 13 more passes against us in 2012 than they did in 2011. That's 0.7 a game. True story. Percentage and ypa are independent of volume, to boot.

It's funny that all I've read about Tavon Austin has been pretty much the opposite of horrific. Maybe every draft expert is wrong and you have other information? Or maybe you have a looser definition of horrific than I've been able to find in the dictionary.

Oh, have we lost the thirteenth pick? I haven't checked rotoworld recently. Is there a link?

LOL

Very cleaver.  They don't get much better from 10-13.  There will be better OL, and D players at 13 also then any Skill position players

Isn't Terrell Suggs 260 lbs?  I admit that I haven't watched Jones that much in college, so I will defer to you guys, but like Mingo he is supposed to be 245 and not look like he can add much more weight.  He's also been described as lazy and a slacker against the run.  

Yeah, Suggs is about 10-15 lbs bigger...but Jones does remind me of him on the field.  Not sure why Jones has this bad against the run thingy against him.  Its hard to justify that when the guy had 25 tackles for loss and 20 the year before.  He just balls, dude.  He's one of the most disruptive and dominate players I've seen in college Football.

jarvis jones to the jets is a smokescreen. with all his red flags, this guy might not even go in rd 1. 

I'd be pretty surprised if he got past the Steelers.  And he'd destroy faces there. 

Austin is far far far from horrific.  He's just small and is the only reason he's not a lock in the top 10.

LOL

Very cleaver.  They don't get much better from 10-13.  There will be better OL, and D players at 13 also then any Skill position players

Maybe you didn't read my post fully, but I said that I didn't want to draft two defensive players in the first round. Did I say anything about the skill positions?

But if you think that you can forget the offense again, I don't really know what to say. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, I disagree.

And yes, my judgement is clouded by my man crush on Austin. I guess not getting Harvin when I wanted him left a bruise.

I will literally lose my sh*t if we wait for round two to draft an offensive player.

Austin is far far far from horrific.  He's just small and is the only reason he's not a lock in the top 10.

JiF.  He is very small.   He'll probably be a good slot WR, but I really can't see him as an outside guy.  I don't want any part of him at 9 or 13.  If some other team is in love with him, and wants to trade down, I'll be thrilled.

In all honesty I will take either of the guards, Jarvis Jones, Jordan, or a few other players before him. 

Later in the draft?  Yeah.  Not at 9 or 13

JiF.  He is very small.   He'll probably be a good slot WR, but I really can't see him as an outside guy.  I don't want any part of him at 9 or 13.  If some other team is in love with him, and wants to trade down, I'll be thrilled.

In all honesty I will take either of the guards, Jarvis Jones, Jordan, or a few other players before him. 

Later in the draft?  Yeah.  Not at 9 or 13

a couple months ago I thought exactly like you

now I'm all about Tavon (and Eifert)

Think about what an opposing defensive coordinator has to game plan when he faces the current Jets. Not much. Drafting a guard or Jarvis Jones doesn't change the fact that the offense is a joke. 

Now think about what this coach has to consider with Tavon Austin in the mix. The kid is a threat to take it to the house on any touch. It's scary to face a player like that. Even as a decoy they have to account for him.

If Stephen Hill can progress they would be a speedy dangerous duo. 

If the Jets take a CB in the first round of this draft, that CB better not only be tremendous, but also be extremely strong-minded - because that CB will be compared to Darrelle Revis for the entirety of his career. It's a terrible position for a young player to be in. 

They're probably better off not going in that direction. 

they have been comparing him to revis before we even traded him away

I'd be pretty surprised if he got past the Steelers.  And he'd destroy faces there. 

The steelers don't usually draft linebackers in rd 1. Timmons i guess was the one exception. But they found Harrison undrafted and they have a ton of guys they've been developing. Worilds is the next man up. 

I think the Bills are pretty likely to go QB at #8, and the Jets could easily go Tavon at #9. 

a couple months ago I thought exactly like you

now I'm all about Tavon (and Eifert)

Think about what an opposing defensive coordinator has to game plan when he faces the current Jets. Not much. Drafting a guard or Jarvis Jones doesn't change the fact that the offense is a joke. 

Now think about what this coach has to consider with Tavon Austin in the mix. The kid is a threat to take it to the house on any touch. It's scary to face a player like that. Even as a decoy they have to account for him.

If Stephen Hill can progress they would be a speedy dangerous duo. 

I understand what your saying Bit, I just don't want to start looking for missing pieces, particularly WR until we have a QB.  

That aside, I just think there are going to be  other players on the board that will be more valuable to the Jets moving forward.  I try not to major readjust who I like in the draft after the Senior Bowl.   It is always affected by hype, and not what I saw during the season 

There are going to be other good WR avalible in the 2nd and 3rd round. If the value is there I would take one there.

I just can't get in love with a 5'8" 174# WR.

NFL Draft 2013: Jarvis Jones says Jets are high on him

Jarvis Jones said he could go anywhere between the Top 5 and Top 20. (USA Today Sports)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on April 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM, updated April 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Jarvis Jones hasn't read any mock drafts and, by now, is done listening to anyone who thinks a bad 40-time at his pro day workout will knock him out of the upper-tier in Thursday's NFL Draft.

"It's still in the air, I just know that the teams I've visited, and from what I've been hearing, I can go as early as the Top 5 and as late as the Top 20," Jones told The Star-Ledger following an appearance he did with Subway in Manhattan this afternoon.

The event featured a giant sub made to look like Jones, a 6-2, 245-pound outside linebacker from Georgia.

One of those teams apparently high on Jones? The Jets, who are in desperate need of a pass rusher and have two chances (No. 9 and No. 13) to select him in the first-round.

"From what I've been hearing they've been high on me and hopefully, if I'm available at that time they'll pull the trigger," Jones said. "I've been hearing a lot of Jets talk."

Jones said he had a great experience with Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who worked him out personally at the Georgia pro day. The focus was on a lot of coverage-related drills, likely because Jones' reputation as a pass rusher has already been cemented. This season he had 24.5 tackles for loss, seven forced fumbles, 85 total tackles, 14.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries, three pass breakups, one interception, and 34 QB pressures, according to the Mel Kiper Draft book.

He has drawn comparisons to Ravens OLB Terrell Suggs, who also didn't run well at his pro day. Suggs, obviously is one of Ryan's favorites.

"Coach Rex was out there, he worked me out on the change of direction drills," Jones said. "Cool guy, man. He loves football, knows a lot of football. I asked him about the game and he loves defensive players who make plays."

He added: "Teams wanted to see me in coverage a lot. So (Rex) wanted to see me move, stop, backpedal, all the stuff like that, turn and run."

Ryan also gave Jones a list of things to work on.

"It was a great experience, I was talking to him about different football techniques," Jones said. "The times we spent, I did learn something from him and the most important thing was him telling me some of the things I needed to work on and just to stay positive."

Jones took the words to heart, and is continuing not to worry about his reputation being clouded before the draft. At his pro day workout, he ran a 4.92 40-yard dash. Teams are also checking in about his spinal stenosis condition, which has caused some NFL players to hang it up in the past.

"I feel like I don't have to prove anyone wrong," Jones said. "At the end of the day, I feel like the team who drafts me -- I don't get into politics, what they think and don't think, my job is to play football and that's what I'm focused on. (I'm focused on) making myself the best player in America by training and staying focused.

"At the end of the day the coaches and GM's are going to make that decision and if they choose me, I'm willing to sacrifice everything to be great. They're going to have a wonderful football player and a guy with great charachter. All the other stuff, the mock drafts, the 40 time and all that other stuff, it's done with. It's over."

Mad or insane?  

Who are these great corners and why would we spend $5M on them? You'd rather have a speed rushing OLB with no speed.  See Moses, Quentin. No wait - he was a full tenth faster.

Look at the FA corner market. These guys were all available:

Winfield 

Grimes

Nnamdi

Hall

Hayden

Talib

DRC

Smith'

They are all starting caliber CB's and none of them is making more than 5m this season. The market is as deep as there is at any position for league average starting CBs. 

How can you say a cornerback has little impact on a game???? Revis has shutdown everyone including Megatron. Now by taking Calvin Johnson out of the game or holding him to one measely catch will have little to no impact, right??? Okkkk budddyy you bet...

And even with Revis playing like a hall of famer (which Miliner isn't close to) the Jets were still mediocre. You just made my point for me. As great as a CB might be there are still 1 or 2 other WR's, a TE and a RB on the field. Pass rushers and offensive playmakers are what wins games.

Look at the FA corner market. These guys were all available:

Winfield 

Grimes

Nnamdi

Hall

Hayden

Talib

DRC

Smith'

They are all starting caliber CB's and none of them is making more than 5m this season. The market is as deep as there is at any position for league average starting CBs. 

Um... which ones are available now?  I'm pretty sure that Rogers-Cromartie, Sean Smith, Talib and Grimes are all making $5M or more.  This kid might be special.  As we are all aware, special CBs help a Rex Ryan D tremendously AND cost more than $5M per.  Also Asomugha has looked like crap.  I would not Gil Brandt trade up for him, but if he falls I don't have a problem with it. Doubt I'd trade up for anything short of a QB at this point and nobody likes any of them.  

Um... which ones are available now? I'm pretty sure that Rogers-Cromartie, Sean Smith, Talib and Grimes are all making $5M or more. This kid might be special. As we are all aware, special CBs help a Rex Ryan D tremendously AND cost more than $5M per. Also Asomugha has looked like crap. I would not Gil Brandt trade up for him, but if he falls I don't have a problem with it. Doubt I'd trade up for anything short of a QB at this point and nobody likes any of them.

Kyle Wilson is fine for next year. The point is that the next time the Jets are going to be good, they can go out and get a CB for cheap without wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't going to be anywhere near Revis' league let along Patrick Peterson or Claborne.

BTW all those guys you mentioned are making 5.5M or less in 2013.

Kyle Wilson is fine for next year. The point is that the next time the Jets are going to be good, they can go out and get a CB for cheap without wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't going to be anywhere near Revis' league let along Patrick Peterson or Claborne.

BTW all those guys you mentioned are making 5.5M or less in 2013.

If you don't like the player that is fair enough, but passing on somebody because we have Kyle Wilson is about the stupidest thing I've heard.  The guy not being as good as Revis is NOT a good argument either.  Let's pass on a corner and draft a high value position - like a guard!

If you don't like the player that is fair enough, but passing on somebody because we have Kyle Wilson is about the stupidest thing I've heard. The guy not being as good as Revis is NOT a good argument either. Let's pass on a corner and draft a high value position - like a guard!

Look what the best guards on the FA market have gotten the past 2 years compared to corners. And Cooper and Warmack aren't just any guards. They are probably the two best players in the draft. At least the 2 surest things to be solid 10+ year starters.

Look what the best guards on the FA market have gotten the past 2 years compared to corners. And Cooper and Warmack aren't just any guards. They are probably the two best players in the draft. At least the 2 surest things to be solid 10+ year starters.

This is why I said you are silly.  If you want to claim that Cooper and Warmack are better prospects than Milliner, fine.  You want to argue that corners are worth less than guards? GTFO. 

The steelers don't usually draft linebackers in rd 1. Timmons i guess was the one exception. But they found Harrison undrafted and they have a ton of guys they've been developing. Worilds is the next man up. 

I don't get it, Bit.  At first you were all: "Hell no, I don't want no guard--they belong in like, the third round!"

Then you were all: "Come to think, these guards fill a need and they are BAP around where we draft...it makes the most sense!"

Now you're like: "I'm over it.  Guards are lame.  Gimme a fast midget and a Tight End that's not ranked anywhere near as high as those dumb guards!  Guards are so stupid!"

None of the players changed, were arrested, pissed hot on a drug test, got any slower or faster or beat an unruly woman.  What's with the changes of heart?  Or are you so into the draft thingy you're getting bombarded with opinions to the point of cancer?  Cause I've seen it happen.  it's not pretty.

why draft a corner? Give Kyle WIlson a chance to prove himself. Cro is a decent #1. use those picks on a pass rusher / offensive help. I wont go guard as i think we can get a good one in the 2nd in Kyle Long.

Archived