Economics of drafting a QB in the first round

Stonehands

Really? You and who else? His 1st superbowl year (think it was year 4 for Eli), he looked hopelessly lost. He had games where he looked like THE worst QB in the entire league.

Even if you look at his final stats that year (2007), they were dreadful for a 4th year QB: 23 TD's/20 INT's/6.3 YA/73.9 QBR, 13 fumbles (I think 9 were lost, couldn't find that stat.)

Yikes.

Sanchez 2nd and 3rd seasons were comparable to Eli's 4th, it's just that his 4th was just pathetic. Of course it doesn't help when the only receiving threat you have on the field in every game is Jeremy Kerley.

Apparently a number of people within the Giants organization for starters.  Every pass from Eli didn't require acrobatics, which was the case all too often with Sanchez/Holmes/Braylon and even Plaxico.  And I was (and am) no fan of Eli's.  Personally I think he's way overrated.  Just that he was a much better prospect and the team had reason to think he was better.  Sometimes a team believes that and is right, like with Eli, but usually if they're at his level or worse for 3.5 years as starter he's not going to be a keeper.

It is beyond stats.  I've seen Sanchez have a 4 TD game and look like he doesn't belong on an NFL roster.  It's as if there is some randomness to him actually making a really good throw (which of course he does now & then, as have all garbage-starting & bust QBs).  Like it's an accident.  And while it's not fair to compare him to some of the game's best QBs, I look at some of them and it's effortless how small of a window they routinely place the ball into.  It is always assumed that their receivers are so open and better and that's what makes the QB so great.  But I've watched too many games where the coverage is tight and the ball just gets threaded into a puny hole.  Our receivers suck, but Sanchez misses them when they're wide open anyway, to say nothing about fitting the ball into tiny holes as necessary.  

But the point of the thread, which we're way off from, is that teams stick with bad high-pick QBs because of the massive investment of both draft pick(s) and payment.  Now the payment part is largely eliminated.  And if we were to take a shot on someone at the bottom half of round 1 or the top half of round 2, the cap consequences of him not panning out are insignificant.  To the point where we could bring in another a year later, even if through the draft, because that next QB will be equally cheap.  But you couldn't fit a top 5 pick like Sanchez and another high draft pick (or expensive veteran for serious competition).

Big fan of the irrational personal hatred irony.

Glad your a fan.

Sanchez is horrible, but I blame Rex for his sucking as much as I blame Sanchez.

Everything I saw and heard was Sanchez working his ass off, and taking blame for things that sometimes were not even his fault.

I don't want Sanchez to be the Jets QB anymore, but it's nothing personal. I just think the Jets ruined him, destroyed him.

I can be rational and logical in seeing that it was a case study in how not to develop a QB.

I think Rex on the other hand is a loud mouth bully a-hole. I hate how he came in and took swipes at Mangini, not because I give a rats ass about Mangini, but because I think it speaks volumes about him as a person.

I could tolerate that moron if he was winning, because I care much more about winning than I do liking my HC or my players.

That said, when you dislike someone, and they suck at their job so bad, and have destroyed your favorite team as he did, yeah, I cannot look past what a scum bag he is on top of it all.

If someone seems to try hard, and acts in a classy manner, I can accept that they may not be great at what they do, and may hate them on my team, but not hate them as a person.

You may disagree with my assertions, but there is a lot of logic in them. It is not without basis.

On the other hand, I have seen no reason to hate Sanchez the person the way many Jet fans do. The QB, fine, but the person makes no sense to me and I will continue to call it irrational.

Revising history as Sperm has done with Eli and Sanchez due to the hatred is irrational, no matter how you slice it.

Disliking a loud mouth, classless moron who destroyed my favorite team is rational, even if you disagree with it.

Apparently a number of people within the Giants organization for starters.  Every pass from Eli didn't require acrobatics, which was the case all too often with Sanchez/Holmes/Braylon and even Plaxico.  And I was (and am) no fan of Eli's.  Personally I think he's way overrated.  Just that he was a much better prospect and the team had reason to think he was better.  Sometimes a team believes that and is right, like with Eli, but usually if they're at his level or worse for 3.5 years as starter he's not going to be a keeper.

It is beyond stats.  I've seen Sanchez have a 4 TD game and look like he doesn't belong on an NFL roster.  It's as if there is some randomness to him actually making a really good throw (which of course he does now & then, as have all garbage-starting & bust QBs).  Like it's an accident.  And while it's not fair to compare him to some of the game's best QBs, I look at some of them and it's effortless how small of a window they routinely place the ball into.  It is always assumed that their receivers are so open and better and that's what makes the QB so great.  But I've watched too many games where the coverage is tight and the ball just gets threaded into a puny hole.  Our receivers suck, but Sanchez misses them when they're wide open anyway, to say nothing about fitting the ball into tiny holes as necessary.  

But the point of the thread, which we're way off from, is that teams stick with bad high-pick QBs because of the massive investment of both draft pick(s) and payment.  Now the payment part is largely eliminated.  And if we were to take a shot on someone at the bottom half of round 1 or the top half of round 2, the cap consequences of him not panning out are insignificant.  To the point where we could bring in another a year later, even if through the draft, because that next QB will be equally cheap.  But you couldn't fit a top 5 pick like Sanchez and another high draft pick (or expensive veteran for serious competition).

Either you don't watch Giants games, or you are really just revising the reality to suit your agenda.

Eli was horrible, absolutely horrible.

The theme was if his last name was not Manning, he would not even be on the team let alone the starting QB anymore.

I have tons of family and friends who are die hard Giants fans, who hated Eli to the same level if not more than you hate Sanchez. They would call him aww shucks Eli, and say how badly he sucked, how dumb he was, and how he lived off his last name.

The thing that is so funny is all Giants fans now say they believed in Eli, and wanted to stick with him, blah blah blah. Its a bunch of horesh*t..

Your flat out wrong on Eli and how he was perceived for almost 4 full years, and he was MUCH more ready to come into the NFL than Sanchez was who had 10 college starts and had no business even coming out, let alone starting in his first year.

When Sam Bradford was drafted number 1 overall by the Rams in the 2010 NFL Draft, he signed a 6 year $78 million deal with $50 million guaranteed ($13 million a year).  I think a lot of people on this board remember that deal and use it as a reason to think you need to be careful drafting first round QB's today.  The new rookie salary slotting has made those contracts a thing of the past.  Last year's eighth overall pick, Ryan Tannehill, signed for 4 years at $12.668 million or roughly $3.1 million per year.  For comparision purposes, Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton who are both back up QB's in this league each signed multi year deals for $3.5 million a year.  The thought that you "set you organization back" by taking a somewhat risky QB in the first round is absolute hog wash, today.  We could draft someone at 9 or 13 and pay them only a little more than the number that will be created when Tebow is cut.  When you don't have a QB, you go out and get one.  We can take a QB in the first two rounds this year and come back next year and draft another one if we need to and without destroying our salary cap or setting anyone back. 

Its not as straight forward as you put it. QBs need time to develop. Teams have to wait a few years before giving their verdict. Thats what puts the team back a few years besides losing out on a top notch talent you 'could have' had with a top 15 pick. However, the same could be said for plenty of other positions, but QBs need the most time to develop.

Glad your a fan.

Sanchez is horrible, but I blame Rex for his sucking as much as I blame Sanchez.

Everything I saw and heard was Sanchez working his ass off, and taking blame for things that sometimes were not even his fault.

I don't want Sanchez to be the Jets QB anymore, but it's nothing personal. I just think the Jets ruined him, destroyed him.

I can be rational and logical in seeing that it was a case study in how not to develop a QB.

I think Rex on the other hand is a loud mouth bully a-hole. I hate how he came in and took swipes at Mangini, not because I give a rats ass about Mangini, but because I think it speaks volumes about him as a person.

I could tolerate that moron if he was winning, because I care much more about winning than I do liking my HC or my players.

That said, when you dislike someone, and they suck at their job so bad, and have destroyed your favorite team as he did, yeah, I cannot look past what a scum bag he is on top of it all.

If someone seems to try hard, and acts in a classy manner, I can accept that they may not be great at what they do, and may hate them on my team, but not hate them as a person.

You may disagree with my assertions, but there is a lot of logic in them. It is not without basis.

On the other hand, I have seen no reason to hate Sanchez the person the way many Jet fans do. The QB, fine, but the person makes no sense to me and I will continue to call it irrational.

Revising history as Sperm has done with Eli and Sanchez due to the hatred is irrational, no matter how you slice it.

Disliking a loud mouth, classless moron who destroyed my favorite team is rational, even if you disagree with it.

h1C2C2CDA

Translation: I like like a punk again, so let me throw out a cute little gif to take away from the fact that I opened my mouth with BS that I could not back up.

Hey, it's better than what you usually do, you know, where you threaten to ban me when I make you look like a punk for your Rex love.

Tanny got fired for many reasons, that was clearly one of them. I think he really got fired because he executed Rex's plan, and the franchise is a sh!t show because of it.

I have and will argue until I am blue in the face that Tanny was not the architect, he was the business guy carrying out Rex's architecture. It's pretty clear, right to Rex's #6 tattoo and all the CB's that Rex insisted on.

Rex should have been out the door with Tanny, it's a joke that, that moron is still here.

the #6 tattoo is a little weird. i actually forgot about that. if tanny was giving out stupid extension because rex told him to then he deserved to be fired.

Translation: I like like a punk again, so let me throw out a cute little gif to take away from the fact that I opened my mouth with BS that I could not back up.

Hey, it's better than what you usually do, you know, where you threaten to ban me when I make you look like a punk for your Rex love.

You're delusional in every respect.

Either you don't watch Giants games, or you are really just revising the reality to suit your agenda.

Eli was horrible, absolutely horrible.

The theme was if his last name was not Manning, he would not even be on the team let alone the starting QB anymore.

I have tons of family and friends who are die hard Giants fans, who hated Eli to the same level if not more than you hate Sanchez. They would call him aww shucks Eli, and say how badly he sucked, how dumb he was, and how he lived off his last name.

The thing that is so funny is all Giants fans now say they believed in Eli, and wanted to stick with him, blah blah blah. Its a bunch of horesh*t..

Your flat out wrong on Eli and how he was perceived for almost 4 full years, and he was MUCH more ready to come into the NFL than Sanchez was who had 10 college starts and had no business even coming out, let alone starting in his first year.

Well if 5 of your friends & family hated Eli Manning it's hard to argue with that logic.  All it means is your friends/family were wrong and I was right. 

Sanchez sucks, like I said over & over.  Actually, strike that.  Before, he merely sucked.  Now Señor Buttfumble is a huge coast-to-coast joke.  Dare I say the butt of all jokes.  I can't believe anyone would want to revisit that losing argument.  What do you share a bed with him or something?

He's useless garbage that we couldn't even get a 2019 conditional 7th rounder for.  Hell, we couldn't get someone to take him if we gave up a pick.  We were supposedly trying to get rid of him as part of our compensation for Revis and Tampa, with all their cap space and shakiness at the QB position themselves, still told Idzik F*CK THAT.

Well if 5 of your friends & family hated Eli Manning it's hard to argue with that logic.  All it means is your friends/family were wrong and I was right. 

Sanchez sucks, like I said over & over.  Actually, strike that.  Before, he merely sucked.  Now Señor Buttfumble is a huge coast-to-coast joke.  Dare I say the butt of all jokes.  I can't believe anyone would want to revisit that losing argument.  What do you share a bed with him or something?

He's useless garbage that we couldn't even get a 2019 conditional 7th rounder for.  Hell, we couldn't get someone to take him if we gave up a pick.  We were supposedly trying to get rid of him as part of our compensation for Revis and Tampa, with all their cap space and shakiness at the QB position themselves, still told Idzik F*CK THAT.

Hey, don't hold back.

I always knew it was a racial issue with you.

What are you a a skinhead who hates Mexicans or something like that?

Racism? Really?

lol

It's funny, gay boy cannot get in on an opinion without spewing hatred about Sanchez.

We now know its racially motivated, explains a lot!

And then accusing me of bigotry by deriding homosexuals.

You must be the life of every party.

Sanchez sucks.

I get it: You're losing the argument so it's time to play the "racist" card, eh? Put the race card back in the deck dude. That tactic is old & tired.

LOL at losing!!!!

My ARGUMENT was that taking a QB and missing is a multiple year setback, and he cannot refrain from spewing Sanchez hate into the "argument" rather than addressing the real POINT.

Whats next? You going to jump in with a ban threat like the rest of you punk ass mods when you get bitch slapped for the dopes that you are?

You should try reading the whole thing, rather than jumping in for your fellow "mod"

You might have caught how he asked me if I was sharing my bed with Sanchez, starting the personal attacks.

Nice job mods, good example of how posting should go.

Archived