Hate to say this, but...

Freemanm

If the offensive players we needed/wanted were a reach for the spot we had, we should have traded down. Using a 13 overall on a position you drafted in the first round the last two years is insane.We run a 3-4, so one of our first rounders is riding pine when we have massive holes all over the rest of the roster.

It's pretty clear we tried trading down as we used the entirety of our allotted time.  If we hadn't tried, we would have ran our card up to the podium, considering one of our top 4 players was on our board.  Bottom line, there was no one worth trading up for, which just goes to show you that any of these players we should have selected, weren't exactly coveted by the teams drafting behind us.  

So funny. Everyone talks about how we need to draft best player available until it happens. Then they cry. The draft isn't over. The next 2 picks will likely be starters and well see what happens

Day 3. I'd rather take the guys we got than take Jarvis jones or any wr. Richardson ran a faster 40 at his pro day than Jarvis jones and he's 60 lbs heavier. Richardson is a Wilkerson clone. Big fast long arms strong. Ill take that all day.

Not everyone wanted to take the best player available. Especially when in the front offices opinion that best player is a position where we aren't super decimated. 

Oh nice! Richardson is a clone of Wilkerson! Lovely! Its a 3-4. So sit Coples? 3 first round picks of the same position in three years for two spots. Brilliant.

What offensive player would have been a good pick at 9 for us? Eiffert? Meh. Rather ertz in 2nd Kelce in 3rd than eiffert at 9/13. I don't see a huge drop in talent between the 3. No wr was worth z pick there. All the big time lineman but warmack were gone by 9. Idzik said we got 2 of our top 4 highest rated players. GMs don't give specific info like that unless its the truth.

Not everyone wanted to take the best player available. Especially when in the front offices opinion that best player is a position where we aren't super decimated.

Oh nice! Richardson is a clone of Wilkerson! Lovely! Its a 3-4. So sit Coples? 3 first round picks of the same position in three years for two spots. Brilliant.

Ok stop crying. Most likely we will run a heavy dose of 4-3 putting coples back at rush end. Wilk and Richardson will go inside. All 3 if them are scheme versatile and will be used. Nobody is sitting on the bench. Richardson is replacing devito and does so on a cheaper contract and had way more upside. He will be better than devito was from day one. Those 3 guys will get significant pass rush. We will most likely draft another olb/end type who is also versatile. Tons of good guys left man.

Ok stop crying. Most likely we will run a heavy dose of 4-3 putting coples back at rush end. Wilk and Richardson will go inside. All 3 if them are scheme versatile and will be used. Nobody is sitting on the bench. Richardson is replacing devito and does so on a cheaper contract and had way more upside. He will be better than devito was from day one. Those 3 guys will get significant pass rush. We will most likely draft another olb/end type who is also versatile. Tons of good guys left man.

I can't just shut off the tears, man!!! wtf makes you think I can do that???

Devito sucked. Richardson better be ten times better than him. And I have zero doubts that this means we are shifting to a 4-3. 

Who did you want at 13? Jarvis jones? The guy who Sheldon Richardson ran faster than jumped higher than and was 60 lbs heavier than? Guy has poor size. Poor speed. Poor work ethic. And a poor spine. But we should have drafted him because we need an olb right? Ill take Corey lemonier damontre Moore Jamie Collins Alex okafor or Cornelius Washington over jones and they are still on the board.

What offensive player would have been a good pick at 9 for us? Eiffert? Meh. Rather ertz in 2nd Kelce in 3rd than eiffert at 9/13. I don't see a huge drop in talent between the 3. No wr was worth z pick there. All the big time lineman but warmack were gone by 9. Idzik said we got 2 of our top 4 highest rated players. GMs don't give specific info like that unless its the truth.

Cooper went before 9 so Chance shouldn't have been a reach. Fine though, go with Millner. But then you need to address one of your actual needs, not a luxury like Richardson. Could have gone with Eifert at 13. Otherwise take a loss on a tradedown so you can address one of our numerous positions of need. How do you go into a

draft with 8 positions of need and not address any of them with two top 15 picks.

Dude, everyone here wanted them to go BPA and get value, which, if you believe them, is exactly what they did. Pass-rusher is a pointless argument considering how Ansah, Jordan and Mingo were already gone. Wide-receiver is also unfair seeing as how Austin was sniped right ahead of us, like irvin last year.  Assuming we didn't want to trade up for any of these guys, it's hard to still complain. Did you want them to reach for Werner or Patterson? Two players who fell to the bottom of the draft.  And considering Eiffert, Jones, Star and Warmack were there for both picks, it's easy enough to say that they had Richardson and Milliner ranked ahead. 

It's pretty obvious that Idzik was going BPA and Austin and probably Mingo/Jordan were off their board, so they pulled the trigger.  It sucks, but there's not many other places they should or could have gone.

And really, are you really complaining about running back, a position that wasn't even selected in the first round?? 

Let's just wait for the next 6 rounds to unfold and see what happens.  There are a lot of very good players available in the 2nd with us picking 7th overall.

the Jets knew who the popular picks were.  But it is not a popularity contest.  Not being a college buff, I only knew who the popular picks were.  Last night I was disappointed.  When my team sucks I think draft need, but all the real football brains pretty much agree on BPA.  So I have recovered from last night.  I realize the pick was cool and analytical.  I hope it turns out well. 

the Jets reached a whole new level of suckiness after the draft today. Seriously, it's become a farce, and today proved it. In fact, the Jets don't even fall in to the "this team sucks but is heading in the right direction" level, they are on the "this team sucks and there really is no light at the end of the tunnel" level. In my 32 years as a Jets fan now, this is one of the lowest points ever.

Why on earth would you trade Revis for a number one pick, and then use that pick to draft a corner who probably isn't going to be as good as him, and who is prone to season ending injuries? To further the absurdity that is the Jets' 2013 draft, even though the Jets OL is still the unit that is in most need of an upgrade (especially after losing two starting guards), OL Warmck and Fluker were still available at 9 and were passed up in favor of an injury-prone CB and a defensive tackle, even though the past tow years the Jets have drafted DL with their number ones.

Are the Jets any better after this draft? I won't insult anyone by giving the politically correct answer of "We'll see." I can state confidently at this point that the Jets suck, their draft picks sucks, and now we find out that Idzik sucks.

The WR and Safety corps beg to differ with your assessment that OL needs the biggest upgrade.

I cant lie and say I was happy last night. But the bottom line is this. We are going to suck next year, so you have to take best player available this year. It wont matter what offensive player we take this year anyway. Sanchez is our best quarterback we have on the roster and thats pathetic.

I'm not saying I don't agree, clearly I understand our offense is putrid.  However, as a team that is in dire need of talent, you do not reach for players simply because they are a need.  Patterson and any other WR would have been a huge reach and it's clear that Idzik was not willing to do that.  Eiffert was a possibility, but it's also possible that he's not as highly thought of seeing as how he dropped to 21 instead of the top 15 lock he was supposed to be. 

This is exactly what happened back in 2008 when we drafted Keller and everyone was bitching and moaning we passsed on Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas and James Hardy to trade up for Keller. Who are all those receivers?? Exactly. These were the receivers that were considered the first round locks that we were beyond stupid for passing up. 

Sometimes these scouts do know what they're doing.  I believe Richardson was top on our board, I dont' understand the pick at all considering we already have two 5 techs, but I'm not the coach and that's not my job to figure it out.  Idzik selected the BPA and now it's Rex' job to figure out how to make it work.  

I'm just as upset as everyone else we didn't get who we individually wanted, but at least we can't look and say, god damn, that was a total reach.

Excellent common sense post. I may have to ban you on principle.

I cant lie and say I was happy last night. But the bottom line is this. We are going to suck next year, so you have to take best player available this year. It wont matter what offensive player we take this year anyway. Sanchez is our best quarterback we have on the roster and thats pathetic.

And this, too.

This rebuild was always going to be a two year deal. You don't pass on the BAPs in year one of said rebuild just because they don't fit your immediate needs as well. That's how you weaken a team. Milliner was called the best defensive player in the draft by some so-called experts. I like the balls of passing on the two big name DTs to take the one they wanted more.

The Jets have six more picks in this draft. They'll target needs more specifically as the draft progresses. That's how you're supposed to draft.

And then you have next year with another 10 or more picks, and $50M of cap space to complete the rebuild process.

We wanna suck this year to get the #1 pick in 2014, right?

I am curious what people think.. if Tavon Austin didn't get taken right before us... did we snag him?

That was on most of the Mock boards - That & the fact that if Austin was available at #9, A trade with multiple later pics (San Fran, Ect...) would have happened...

"Way to Go St. Louis/Buffalo!" - I hate you more!

BTB - I have to agree that this was not so bad a draft if you take into account that after the trade at 8 (I don't count Miami's trade - Dion Jordan; Really?), all of our runs at Offence in the 1st round went out the door.

One more thing, if & I say if in a transition year (Rex is still a "lame Duck") the Jets go after a QB, it will be in the 4th-7th round.

You do not go after a "Franchise" QB when you are not just restructuring your team, you are preparing to make adjustments for your new head coach as well...

Excellent common sense post. I may have to ban you on principle.

And this, too.

This rebuild was always going to be a two year deal. You don't pass on the BAPs in year one of said rebuild just because they don't fit your immediate needs as well. That's how you weaken a team. Milliner was called the best defensive player in the draft by some so-called experts. I like the balls of passing on the two big name DTs to take the one they wanted more.

The Jets have six more picks in this draft. They'll target needs more specifically as the draft progresses. That's how you're supposed to draft.

And then you have next year with another 10 or more picks, and $50M of cap space to complete the rebuild process.

We wanna suck this year to get the #1 pick in 2014, right?

we will not get the number 1 pick. i know our offense will not be too good but our defense will likely be too good fo rus to land the number 1 pick. expect somewhere from 7-12.

I read this about Richardson:

Strengths

Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson's first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback's hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area.      

Perhaps this swayed the Jets.  Especially with the TE's they face.

More importantly QB Geno Smith to run the offense. If the Jets draft Geno am on board again

right now I am like over board hanging on the ledge for life, one slip and I am in the water..

oooohhhh if I fall it's gonna be cold oooohhh. good thing I can swim.

I read this about Richardson:

Strengths

Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson's first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback's hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area.      

Perhaps this swayed the Jets.  Especially with the TE's they face.

richardson will not be covering gronkowski....you can bet on that

I hate to say it, but after seeing Geno's body language in the back room last night, I would be hard pressed to right his name down today.  I have been a big supporter of Geno Smith leading into the draft, but the way he sulked last night after not getting picked has me leaning towards not wanting him here.  However, 2nd round picks have traditionally been where teams pick the "damaged fruit" from the first round and some people have done quite well with it.  I just think this kid may not be wired for the leadership role associated with the job after seeing him last night.

richardson will not be covering gronkowski....you can bet on that

Yup, but neither will anyone else we have.

They can try, but they have nobody to cover him, or any decent TE, or back out of the backfield for that matter.

This is what cracks me up, for as much as we have invested in the defense, this is still a very flawed defense, that will be not much better than above average.

There are things it can do well, but there are also huge weaknesses that decent offenses will find a way to expose.

To me, that is just unacceptable. Anything short of all time great defense for the next few years is just unacceptable. Nobody in the league that I can recall has put anywhere near as much investment into the defense, and we will not even be the best in the league, maybe not even top 10

My only problem is that first off I think Star is a better player than Richardson.

And then even if Rex can figure a way to play these 3 lineman together, which I think he will do, what happens when Rex is gone after the year?

I see a future bad trade ala Vilma in our future because of system fit.

Star fit perfectly, can play the 0 tech, and is a better player.

Archived