We did well considering who was there

hotcoles87

Ill say that I'm ok with both picks. I know it's sucks having to lose revis and to draft another corner but Teams lose their stars all the time with no compensation. That's just how a salary cap league works. Richardson wasn't a big perceived need to most fans but I do think be will be very good. That said the way the board fell we didn't have many options.

The 3 best pass rushers and best guard were gone by 7. Best 3 ot and best playmaker were gone by 8 so we couldn't even get a trade down for one of those guys. I was pissed off by pick 7 and was praying we traded out but we stayed and grabbed 2 good players. As fans you spend all off season thinking about filling needs. You study a few prospects who fit and you fall in love with guys. That's what good fans do. But it's a double edged sword because if it doesn't go right in your book than the team blew it. Bottom line now is can these two guys be one good players. I think they can. We have 6 more picks and we will likely fill some more holes. Lets step back off the ledge a bit and concede that these guys know more than we do. It's not to say that we can't have opinions but lets let the full process work out before we call for heads to roll.

Good luck tonight.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill say that I'm ok with both picks. I know it's sucks having to lose revis and to draft another corner but Teams lose their stars all the time with no compensation. That's just how a salary cap league works. Richardson wasn't a big perceived need to most fans but I do think be will be very good. That said the way the board fell we didn't have many options.

The 3 best pass rushers and best guard were gone by 7. Best 3 ot and best playmaker were gone by 8 so we couldn't even get a trade down for one of those guys. I was pissed off by pick 7 and was praying we traded out but we stayed and grabbed 2 good players. As fans you spend all off season thinking about filling needs. You study a few prospects who fit and you fall in love with guys. That's what good fans do. But it's a double edged sword because if it doesn't go right in your book than the team blew it. Bottom line now is can these two guys be one good players. I think they can. We have 6 more picks and we will likely fill some more holes. Lets step back off the ledge a bit and concede that these guys know more than we do. It's not to say that we can't have opinions but lets let the full process work out before we call for heads to roll.

Good luck tonight.

well the glass half-full side of this is that we are set at d-line and cb.

Good luck tonight.

So true.  At first I HATED both picks, but after watching some highlights and doing a little reading up I feel better.  This defense is going to be scary.  Imagine we draft accordingly and end up with a half decent offense.  I'M EXCITED!!

well the glass half-full side of this is that we are set at d-line and cb.

Heres what I just don't get.

IF we value CB so high that we have to spend a 9 pick on CB, why would we not have just paid Revis something similar to what the Bucs paid him.

It makes just zero sense to me.

Yes, I know that Milner will be about 1/5the cost, but we just don't know how good he will be, as we have seen many other draft picks bust or just not pan out.

This team had sooooo many weakness.

I thought the whole idea of letting Revis go was that you just cannot invest that heavily in CB, with so many other needs.

Well, the 9th pick in the draft is a huge investment in the CB spot, huge.

It just makes no sense to me at all, just when I think we are starting to get a clue, we do something like this and make it clear that we have no clue.

IF we value CB so high that we have to spend a 9 pick on CB, why would we not have just paid Revis something similar to what the Bucs paid him.

Yes, I know that Milner will be about 1/5the cost, but we just don't know how good he will be, as we have seen many other draft picks bust or just not pan out.

I thought the whole idea of letting Revis go was that you just cannot invest that heavily in CB, with so many other needs.

It just makes no sense to me at all, just when I think we are starting to get a clue, we do something like this and make it clear that we have no clue.

Think woody, and it all becomes clear.

CB was a need.  It's just not our most desperate need this year.  Cro isn't going to stick around at $14M next year, and if/when he chooses his outright release instead of accepting a serious pay cut, then we'll be happy Milliner is here.

The $16M/year Tampa is paying Revis is a laughably-stupid amount to pay a CB, and for the zillionth time it's why no one except Tampa made an offer of even a single first round pick.  They may have been the only ones to offer us a 2nd round pick, seeing as TB was still reportedly the only suitor when their top offer was a 2 this year and a conditional 4 next year.  Says to me everyone except Tampa - who hasn't exactly been the Rosetta Stone of defensive judgment in recent years - thought it was asinine.  And if it's asinine to give that up for Revis, it's equally asinine for us to pass up on that for Revis. 

Saying we just swapped Revis for Milliner is 5 year-old logic.  There is $14M/year difference in compensation between the two.  Even if we spent all the savings on 1 player, I'd take Milliner + $14M/year level player instead of just Revis.  Or a $10M/year player and upgrade a $4M/year FA next year to an $8M/year FA.

Just because Rex needs cover corners for what he wants to do on defense doesn't mean any of them should gobble up $16M/year of cap space, even if his name is Revis.  So the "we might as well have just kept Revis" argument is a poor one.

CB was a need.  It's just not our most desperate need this year.  Cro isn't going to stick around at $14M next year, and if/when he chooses his outright release instead of accepting a serious pay cut, then we'll be happy Milliner is here.

The $16M/year Tampa is paying Revis is a laughably-stupid amount to pay a CB, and for the zillionth time it's why no one except Tampa made an offer of even a single first round pick.  They may have been the only ones to offer us a 2nd round pick, seeing as TB was still reportedly the only suitor when their top offer was a 2 this year and a conditional 4 next year.  Says to me everyone except Tampa - who hasn't exactly been the Rosetta Stone of defensive judgment in recent years - thought it was asinine.  And if it's asinine to give that up for Revis, it's equally asinine for us to pass up on that for Revis. 

Saying we just swapped Revis for Milliner is 5 year-old logic.  There is $14M/year difference in compensation between the two.  Even if we spent all the savings on 1 player, I'd take Milliner + $14M/year level player instead of just Revis.  Or a $10M/year player and upgrade a $4M/year FA next year to an $8M/year FA.

Just because Rex needs cover corners for what he wants to do on defense doesn't mean any of them should gobble up $16M/year of cap space, even if his name is Revis.  So the "we might as well have just kept Revis" argument is a poor one.

What about the fact that there were about 7-8 "solid" CB's who are probably as good as Milliner will ever be in free agency last year who all had to take one year deals for 5.5m or under? League average starting CB's are a dime a dozen.

I agree a lot here.  I really wanted to keep Revis and would be much happier if we had him and were able to use that #9 somewhere else.  And after watching media coverage last nite, I didn't really see any talk besides the Revis comparison and putting him on the spot with the question - "can you replace Revis"? I wish the media didn't do its job and left the kid alone bc if this Bama boy cant handle pressure he is going to crumble fast.

What about the fact that there were about 7-8 "solid" CB's who are probably as good as Milliner will ever be in free agency last year who all had to take one year deals for 5.5m or under? League average starting CB's are a dime a dozen.

Well first, it isn't a fact.  It's an opinion.  

Next, you can get a pro bowl/all pro level OG in FA for $6-8M and they're available every year.  None of the CBs available were that level.  Stud guards are available every year and aren't that expensive.  Guards at the level of this year's FA CBs are cheap.  And they should stay cheap after a draft class like this.  Brandon Moore can't even find a team.

We'll see how this plays out.  Personally I wanted to trade down, and blame Rex for his big fat mouth blabbing who we're going to take for the 2nd year in a row.

Its obvious  Idzik went with BPA / safe picks.  I can understand that considering this being his first draft as a GM. You know he wanted badly to avoid any chance of a bust with his first  picks so he avoided the higher risk picks.

I honestly can see Richardson as a Richard Seymour type tackle maybe even better, he looks as strong and probably quicker and with Cro's contract coming up taking the best CB in the draft makes sense.

Could he have taken Eifert or Patterson? Sure but he may have others on his board he considers just as good.

People are crying about the offense but lets see what he does in round 2 and 3.

Give him a chance I mean its not like he just picked a QB with one college season on his resume.

Next, you can get a pro bowl/all pro level OG in FA for $6-8M and they're available every year.  None of the CBs available were that level.  Stud guards are available every year and aren't that expensive.  Guards at the level of this year's FA CBs are cheap.  And they should stay cheap after a draft class like this.  Brandon Moore can't even find a team.

We'll see how this plays out.  Personally I wanted to trade down, and blame Rex for his big fat mouth blabbing who we're going to take for the 2nd year in a row.

Have you read all the scouting reports on Milliner? I haven't seen one that says that he has pro bowl caliber upside. What are the chances of him being better than Brent Grimes or Sean Smith? Those guys are a dime a dozen. If you draft Warmack you're probably getting a pro bowl guard for 40% of what most pro bowl guards make for 5 years.

Have you read all the scouting reports on Milliner? I haven't seen one that says that he has pro bowl caliber upside. What are the chances of him being better than Brent Grimes or Sean Smith? Those guys are a dime a dozen. If you draft Warmack you're probably getting a pro bowl guard for 40% of what most pro bowl guards make for 5 years.

I've read some, but not all.  What I also read is it would have come as no surprise if he was drafted in the top 5.  If he's a dime a dozen he wouldn't be expected to go that high.

The problem is there was no slam dunk obvious move at the positions all of us wanted to see addressed (offensive skill, namely QB/WR/RB).  Drafting interior offensive linemen at #9 is idiotic, and you can't lock up 1st round picks for 5 years anymore.

I've read them.  He is a solid player and my only concern is him trying to escape the Darelle Revis comparison the next couple years.  You cant fault the Jets for taking Milliner here.  He was the best cb in the draft, he is from a championship program that knows how to play ball and he wasn't brought here to replace Revis, he was brought in to fill the void. Lets face it, if you were planning on Wilson filling that void this year you were living in a fantasy world bc he really is just a back-up cb at best.

I've read them.  He is a solid player and my only concern is him trying to escape the Darelle Revis comparison the next couple years.  You cant fault the Jets for taking Milliner here.  He was the best cb in the draft, he is from a championship program that knows how to play ball and he wasn't brought here to replace Revis, he was brought in to fill the void. Lets face it, if you were planning on Wilson filling that void this year you were living in a fantasy world bc he really is just a back-up cb at best.

+1

Tired of his Mutumbo wag every time some WR plays even worse than him by dropping a pass after blown coverage.

After all the leaking sh*t last year, why WHY is this aloud to go on?

Your reading comprehension, is that of a 5 year old.

+1

Tired of his Mutumbo wag every time some WR plays even worse than him by dropping a pass after blown coverage.

Mutumbo wag---thats the best comparison i heard yet!! Lmao! We all had the high hopes with Wilson...but he just ain't cutting it..lets be real

Herm if you look at all this teams needs, DT and CB are the very least of what we need as a team and I think thats fairly undisputable. So why would a team in REBUILDING mode spend 2 first round picks at positions that are probably the most deep on the team ?? We should have traded out of one of the picks but the question is was that trade available so we can debate that till we're blue in the face with no solution.

This team is lacking in many key areas that have virtually nothing at this stage so Im not sure DT and CB was a good way to spend our top picks. especially since the CB we just drafted has had 5 surgeries and the DT is a bit smaller than both Wilk and Coples. Fact also remains no matter how much fat ass Rex moves his guys around on the line they will still not generate pass rush because when they are in the 3-4 their job is to occupy not beat a guy one on one. In Rex's type of defense he should be concentrating on getting fresh young fast LB's in here like Parcells used to do with the Giants back in the 80's . Cry for passruhers all we want yet we never ever fill that hole.

Herm if you look at all this teams needs, DT and CB are the very least of what we need as a team and I think thats fairly undisputable. So why would a team in REBUILDING mode spend 2 first round picks at positions that are probably the most deep on the team ?? We should have traded out of one of the picks but the question is was that trade available so we can debate that till we're blue in the face with no solution.

This team is lacking in many key areas that have virtually nothing at this stage so Im not sure DT and CB was a good way to spend our top picks. especially since the CB we just drafted has had 5 surgeries and the DT is a bit smaller than both Wilk and Coples. Fact also remains no matter how much fat ass Rex moves his guys around on the line they will still not generate pass rush because when they are in the 3-4 their job is to occupy not beat a guy one on one. In Rex's type of defense he should be concentrating on getting fresh young fast LB's in here like Parcells used to do with the Giants back in the 80's . Cry for passruhers all we want yet we never ever fill that hole.

Wait nobody told you? We traded Revis and Kyle Wilson was set to be the starter!! If that doesn't scream we need a cb then I dont know what does. 

Two good prospects at the wrong positions imo.

All the talk surrounding Richardson was that he is a perfect 3 tech in a 43 (Warren Sapp'esque. At only 6'2 295 he certainly can't play NT in a 34. If anything he's probably talented enough to line up as a DE/5tech and still prosper in a 34. But when they already drafted the same type of player in Coples last year and Mo the year before and given all the needs, the pick is a head scratcher. It unfortunately turns into a "In Rex we trust...to get all these guys on the same field together where they can all maximize their skill-sets and dominate together." Personally I've lost that kind of faith in Rex, but we'll see. I realize he's still a great DC mind but his roster management has been questionable at times.... this will be interesting to see how it works. Not saying it can't, just saying I have no idea how.

The Milliner pick I'm not even going to get into. Great prospect, they needed a CB...I get that. Nothing anybody says will make me like this pick.. Given the entire Revis situation, it sucks right now. So I'll hope Revis never returns to half the player he was and Milliner goes onto to play at a Pro Bowl level for the next 10 years. I don't want to hear about the 16M right now. I get it. Maybe it all makes sense, but I'm still just a fan, I don't want to be logical right now. lol. Sorry that pick sucked. The med red flags are scary too.

Still the worst offense in the NFL. Let's see what they do tonight.

Wait nobody told you? We traded Revis and Kyle Wilson was set to be the starter!! If that doesn't scream we need a cb then I dont know what does. 

I'M Well aware, but did anyone tell you we currently have a pro bowl corner on the other side ? Also while we did probably need to address the position did we have to use the 9th pick ? Its as if we are in the same position as we were with Revis (player wise) yet with a player we all know will NOT be Revis. All this while the team has virtually NOTHING at OG, Safety, weak over all at the LB position, no pass rusher, and no skill players to speak of on offense.

I agree a lot here.  I really wanted to keep Revis and would be much happier if we had him and were able to use that #9 somewhere else.  And after watching media coverage last nite, I didn't really see any talk besides the Revis comparison and putting him on the spot with the question - "can you replace Revis"? I wish the media didn't do its job and left the kid alone bc if this Bama boy cant handle pressure he is going to crumble fast.

The thing is-- Revis is gone for better or worse.  He's gone.  He got injured, he got 16 million, and he's a Buc now.  Kyle WIlson is average, and I'm pretty sure his contract is up after next year too isn't it?  So while CB doesn't seem like a big need, it kind of is.   

Rex gets his way. He's gotten two corners in the first round and three defensive linemen. Jets draft like its still the 80's.

This. Good teams aren't victimized by draft position to the point where fans throw up their hands and say, "Ah well. We got our draft picks dictated to us." You had two top 15 picks and came away with a replacement for a corner you'll cut next year and a third first round pick to put on a DLine that will have to average five sacks per game just to keep the team competitive. It's weak.

The thing is-- Revis is gone for better or worse.  He's gone.  He got injured, he got 16 million, and he's a Buc now.  Kyle WIlson is average, and I'm pretty sure his contract is up after next year too isn't it?  So while CB doesn't seem like a big need, it kind of is.   

Except there are a million average starting CB's available every year in free agency for nothing and the Jets had the 2nd ranked pass D WITHOUT revis. 

I don't know if it is either.  Neither player was a reach, and I think all interior linemen are reaches in the top 10.

The top pass rushers were gone.

The top offensive playmaker was gone.

People cry "Jarvis Jones" now.  Meanwhile if we took him the same people would be screaming bloody murder because we took a guy who (they would then claim) was expected to drop out of the first round altogether.  If we grab him, it's a reach.  But if Pittsburgh grabs him, it's smart.

Drafting purely for need is how you end up with Mike Nugent in the 2nd round.

CB is a need.  It just isn't as bad of a need this season as other positions.  The only one I would have liked to have seen was Eifert, but even then I would have preferred us to trade down a little before taking him.  I don't have the slightest clue what we're going to do with four DTs.

Have you read the New York Jets scouting reports on Milliner, or just some mock draft site?   6-1, 200 lb corners who run sub 4.4, who played on multiple national championship teams in the SEC are a dime a dozen?  The guy is a very good prospect, and is worthy of the 9th pick for sure.

I don't know if it is either.  Neither player was a reach, and I think all interior linemen are reaches in the top 10.

The top pass rushers were gone.

The top offensive playmaker was gone.

People cry "Jarvis Jones" now.  Meanwhile if we took him the same people would be screaming bloody murder because we took a guy who (they would then claim) was expected to drop out of the first round altogether.  If we grab him, it's a reach.  But if Pittsburgh grabs him, it's smart.

Drafting purely for need is how you end up with Mike Nugent in the 2nd round.

CB is a need.  It just isn't as bad of a need this season as other positions.  The only one I would have liked to have seen was Eifert, but even then I would have preferred us to trade down a little before taking him.  I don't have the slightest clue what we're going to do with four DTs.

There is a difference between draft based on NOTHING but need and completely ignoring that you have an expantion roster with a good DL and drafting more DL's. 

Have you read the New York Jets scouting reports on Milliner, or just some mock draft site?   6-1, 200 lb corners who run sub 4.4, who played on multiple national championship teams in the SEC are a dime a dozen?  The guy is a very good prospect, and is worthy of the 9th pick for sure.

Why would the Jets scouting work be of any more value than any of the draft experts? Look at the last CB they drafted! I haven't seen one scouting report that said he's better than even guys like Pat Peterson or Clabourne. He's a solid player. He's not a difference maker or a playmaker which you should have to be to get picked in the top 10 of the draft. 

Archived