Jets Eyeing Second Round QBs (merged)

Strangefunk

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He ran out of characters in that tweet. The full text added that it could either be a QB or Margus Hunt.

I'm thinking back to when I was 10 years old, sitting on a couch, watching football, and deciding that I cared about the Jets more than the Giants. I wonder about that process, about the why. I have no answers.

This doesnt make a whole lot of sense (making it a very Jets thing to do), the only teams that would conceivably draft Geno Smith and are ahead of us in the order are Jacksonville (33) and Philadelphia (35), and perhaps Arizona (38). 

The only real candidates for a trade would be the 49ers, sitting between Jacksonville and Philly, so I'm curious who all of these calls are going out to.

Regardless, hope it doesnt happen and we just take Geno if/when he falls to us at 39.

Agree 100%. Maybe he becomes this years Rus Wilson.

It could happen, he could fall to the Jets. Jax reportedly is going to go CB (J Banks) and if not him maybe Nassib. That leaves the Eagles who may grab Smith ahead of the NYJ or maybe they like one of the other QBs better??

Report: Jets want to move up from 39, eying Geno Smith

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 26, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT

Reuters
With a night to sleep on it and recalibrate draft boards, the top of the second round of the NFL Draft figures to see a lot of action.

And one of the teams that loves to be in the middle of any action figures to be involved.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Jets have made calls today to try to move up from the 39th overall pick, with their eyes on a quarterback.

If they’re able to make the move, their likely target is West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, whom they reportedly considered with their 13th overall pick.

If they want, they should call the Lions, as Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com says they want out of the 36th spot, and would be happy to move down.

Of course, the Jaguars are waving the 33rd pick around trying to get attention as well, which creates some supply-and-demand issues the Jets and other QB-needy teams will be weighing.

Not worth being stuck in a bidding war... let Smith get picked, take the best available player at our spot, or trade back.

Cyprien, Geno, and the other players I mentioned before, or trade back. Don't move up. Rebuilding teams don't sacrifice draft picks.

There are still teams with tons of picks to give up. Trade BACK!!!! WTF.

Remember that if the Jets take Geno or another QB it's a LOCK Rex isn't fired.

Don't care. 

My interest is the improvement of this football team via talent. 

Talent >>>>>>>> head coach. Any short-comings Rex has shown are immediately overshadowed by a roster brimming with talent.

If he's here, it'll be because he's winning.

According to a source of mine that's in the know...... The NY Jets have informed Geno Smith to not go home and are prepared to take the West Virginia QB with the 39th pick if he is still there.

You have heard It here first... Lots of speculation but now we have concrete inside information..

@CharlieBurkNYC

images.jpeg

Bout time someone tossed out some stank.  Well done.

Honestly, if the scouting staff (lol) has a high grade on Geno, I don't have a problem with them pulling the trigger at #39.  I would not be particularly pleased with a trade-up, however.

Better to trade up for an NFL talent than sit at 39 and take sh*t like Nassib or Barkley.

Honestly, if the scouting staff (lol) has a high grade on Geno, I don't have a problem with them pulling the trigger at #39. I would not be particularly pleased with a trade-up, however.

Is it me, or has the cost of trading up been particularly cheap this year?

Honestly, if the scouting staff (lol) has a high grade on Geno, I don't have a problem with them pulling the trigger at #39.  I would not be particularly pleased with a trade-up, however.

Agreed.  I keep picturing this nightmare scenario of trading up to 34 only to have Jacksonville trade back to the eagles or cleveland looking to f*ck us.  That or the rams do it just for kicks.

Is it me, or has the cost of trading up been particularly cheap this year?

Except for the patriots, yea it has.  Although Mayock mentioned that almost no one between this year and last year has been getting "chart value," they are getting what they want in an extra pick or two, so it's kind of a wash.  That is until we have to trade up for Geno and have to give up the rest of our draft.

Whatever, I'm down with Geno at 39.  It'll bring some excitement having perhaps a legit starting QB around.  And if he doesn't work out, it doesn't preclude us from drafting another one next year.  See:  Jimmy Claussen.

In order for this to happen they have to cut Sanchez and make Geno the QB day 1.

Agreed.  I keep picturing this nightmare scenario of trading up to 34 only to have Jacksonville trade back to the eagles or cleveland looking to f*ck us.  That or the rams do it just for kicks.

That's a bit of an unfounded concern.  Jets would never trade up until the team they're looking to trade with is actually on the clock.  I can totally get not wanting to trade up regardless (which I'd agree with unless the cost to do so is very low), but that's not much of a reason why.

Archived