Jets Eyeing Second Round QBs (merged)

Strangefunk

DL and CB were way down on the list, poo-flinger.

No, they weren't.

Explain to me how an interior DLmen was a need.

We had the worst run defense we've had in Rex's tenure last year with Pouha and Devito. Landry and Yeremiah Bell helped with our run D. We lost all 4 of them this off-season. The middle of our defense is a sieve. Interior DL is an absolute necessity, and in this draft with who was left Lotulelei or Richardson represent the best return on investment. 

As for corner, Milliner is the best bet to not bust out of the first 5 defensive players taken. If you can add a guy like that to your secondary, you do it. Especially when all you chose NOT to add was a guard, Warmack.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a source of mine that's in the know...... The NY Jets have informed Geno Smith to not go home and are prepared to take the West Virginia QB with the 39th pick if he is still there.

You have heard It here first... Lots of speculation but now we have concrete inside information..

@CharlieBurkNYC

images.jpeg

Now, you are just confirming it.

Other than offensive linemen, there were 5 offensive players drafted yesterday. We picked 2 guys that were 1.) highly graded, 2.) great value in their draft spots, 3.) high-value positions. 

I don't care what side of the ball they line up on. The Jets came into the draft with a minimum of 8 needs. They addressed 2 of them, and did it with the best players they had available to them.

They very well might have drafted the best CB and the best pass-rushing DT in this draft. That's a coup.

People are forgetting a that before 8PM yesterday, there were roughly 5 players on the Jets who could be called good.

Our biggest need is TALENT, not any one position.

Now if Smith is gone are they going to take Nassib here.

It would be a horrible decision. The odds any of these bums becomes a good qb is about 10%.

Build up the team around qb, suck real bad this year and take Bridgewater next year.

this is a dream.  If some other team gets the top 3 picks,   and the Jets are #4.. and He goes #1.. THey are screwed.

Or the Jets do suck and get the #1 pick only to find out Bridgewater is going back to college for his Senior year.    I mean years ago everybody thought the Jets were going to get Manning. See how that turned out.

People are forgetting a that before 8PM yesterday, there were roughly 5 players on the Jets who could be called good.

Who knows if any of these guys wind up being good.  It's an unknown.

A 5'8 WR who was universally viewed as the most explosive playmaker in the draft. 

Yeah, cool. Too bad that won't make him bigger than 5'8." 

Who knows if any of these guys wind up being good.  It's an unknown.

What's your point? Don't draft anyone? 

You're insane with this statement. Name me the good Alabama CB's playing in the NFL. Go on, look it up, I'll wait. 

Mayock: "The 40 he ran at the combine erased any questions people had about his long speed. He's a top-10 corner. He does everything well. He can press. He can play off. He will tackle. What I've seen on tape is a tough, instinctive guy who will hit you, which I love. I love a corner that will tackle. When you come out of Nick Saban's program, especially when you're a defensive back, which Nick takes a big interest in as a former defensive backs coach, you're well-coached."

The best, right now, is Dre Kirkpatrick I'm thinking. 

I hope they can land Geno Smith without trading up. Otherwise, eh. 

Agreed.  Depends on the compensation needed to trade up.  I'd be actually quite pleased if they landed him with the 39th and just content if they had to trade up.  The one thing I do like is if the kid is the real deal, having that giant-ass chip on his shoulder like Russell Wilson played with might not be a bad thing at all.  Almost as good as when Brady goes on his missions.

True.

Not sure why I'm wasting my time making granular observations.

Plus, anyone pushing the "Rex is sitll running teh show1!! 1!" argument is a moron. Period. I'm not exactly a Rex fan, but I am reasonably logical. 

True.

Plus, anyone pushing the "Rex is sitll running teh show1!! 1!" argument is a moron. Period. I'm not exactly a Rex fan, but I am reasonably logical. 

The problem is, even if Rex has no say,  this is a Rex/Tanny draft.  How is this year any different than what they've been doing for years?

Behind OG, safety, TE, and WR, I assume? Mmmm what value! Where else can you get starter quality OGs, safeties, TEs, and WRs if not the first thirteen picks of the first round!?!?!? 

LOL

People don't understand supply and demand, as it relates to different positions. 

True.

I think everyone would have loved offensive playmakers.  EVEN THE EVIL REX.  But, value wasn't there when we picked.  Unless it's Vernon Davis, you don't go TE that early.

Mayock: "The 40 he ran at the combine erased any questions people had about his long speed. He's a top-10 corner. He does everything well. He can press. He can play off. He will tackle. What I've seen on tape is a tough, instinctive guy who will hit you, which I love. I love a corner that will tackle. When you come out of Nick Saban's program, especially when you're a defensive back, which Nick takes a big interest in as a former defensive backs coach, you're well-coached."

You're insane with this statement. Name me the good Alabama CB's playing in the NFL. Go on, look it up, I'll wait. 

I usually take the scouting reports done by Mayock et al with a large grain of salt, except for when it comes to defensive backs and Mayock.  That's his bread and butter and is usually pretty spot on; the rest of it he can be hit or miss on, but as a former NFL dback, he really knows his sh*t in regards to them.  He's been doing this a while and I've noticed his accuracy and the work he's putting in over the last couple years to be ramped up quite a bit, makes me think he's angling for a bigger job somewhere.

Thats true I'm just saying we don't know if the Jets added more talent or scrubs yet.

Of course not.  We do know they took highly rated prospects, and on a team as bad as this one, that can only be seen as a good thing IMO.

True.

There's really no winning.  We go defense, people complain about offense.  We draft the best offensive player left on the board in Chance Warmack, Rex is still running the show with his old school ground n pound.  It's actually kind of impressive.

I think everyone would have loved offensive playmakers. EVEN THE EVIL REX. But, value wasn't there when we picked. Unless it's Vernon Davis, you don't go TE that early.

If that TE is capable of 80/900/8, taking him at 13 is more than reasonable. Eifert is exceedingly capable of that.

The problem is, even if Rex has no say,  this is a Rex/Tanny draft.  How is this year any different than what they've been doing for years?

The draft isn't even over. This is a retard insinuation / question. 

Trading up and trying to make headlines would have been the earmarks of a Tanny ROUND 1. We took high-grade players, at high-value positions.

This started off as a "team that builds through the draft, and doesn't draft like the fans are running the team" draft.

Dre Kickpackrick. A mediocre backup. Yeah. 

I think everyone would have loved offensive playmakers.  EVEN THE EVIL REX.  But, value wasn't there when we picked.  Unless it's Vernon Davis, you don't go TE that early.

Yup, agreed. 

Kelce or Escobar in R3. Lacy, Geno, Keenan or Hunter in R2. 

I can see any of these pairings immediately helping the offense. Just because Tanny/Rex were only capable of getting starters out of R1 the past 4 years, doesn't mean that'll be the case with Idzik.

I fully expect 4-5 starters from this draft, meaning they are starting / sharing time before the end of year 1. Starting by year 2.

There's really no winning. We go defense, people complain about offense. We draft the best offensive player left on the board in Chance Warmack, Rex is still running the show with his old school ground n pound. It's actually kind of impressive.

You have two offensive linemen and one slot receiver on the team that would see time for the Patriots. The rest of the offensive personnel would be cut or buried on the bench. The dearth of talent on that side of the ball cannot be overstated. Drafting a corner who's "the best defensive player in the draft...that fell down the board" and a DT to stick between your two prior first rounders does nothing to change that, or help that, or distract from that. Idzik just wasted his two big bullets on players who aren't elevating your program other than by virtue of their youth and price tag.

Dre Kickpackrick. A mediocre backup. Yeah. 

We didn't draft him, we drafted Milliner. 

It doesn't make Saban as a secondary coach less relevant, nor does it mean Milliner can't play. 

If this is where you need to go with the discussion to try to feel right, go for it. LOL, I'll sit here and help you make an ass out of yourself all afternoon.

After Smith got butt hurt. and wanted to go hime when he wasn't drafted in the first round, I wonder how he will react when the fans give him the welcome to the Jets booing treatment

Yeah, this is my concern.

I think he's good value at #39, but I'd prefer we trade back in R2, pick up an extra 3rd... then draft 3 of these 4 positions WR, OG, TE and QB in rounds 2-3.

What would it take to move up passed the eagles... even though my gut is the eagles don't want him

I doubt it's that bad. Probably no worse than the Jets #2 & #4, and getting a #5 back along with the higher #2. I guess I could live with something like that. Hopefully get their TE in the third.

Archived