Jets Eyeing Second Round QBs (merged)

Strangefunk

It doesn't take 12 hours of evaluating tape to know that Alabama CB's have been busts. 

On what grounds have they been busts?? Besides Dre Kirpatrick, there's probably only been a couple CBs from Bama who entered the NFL and the only two I can think of are Javier Arenas and Kareem Jackson, neither of which I would call a bust.  Jury is still out on Dre, but I don't see with such a small sample size you can make a blanket statement that they're all busts, considering they're not busts at all. 

Edit: I should have been more detailed and said, there's probably only been a couple CBs from Bama drafted in the first two rounds.  I'm sure there's been some players drafted in the 5-7th rounds and I hardly would qualify them not being stars as busts.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On what grounds have they been busts?? Besides Dre Kirpatrick, there's probably only been a couple CBs from Bama who entered the NFL and the only two I can think of are Javier Arenas and Kareem Jackson, neither of which I would call a bust.  Jury is still out on Dre, but I don't see with such a small sample size you can make a blanket statement that they're all busts, considering they're not busts at all. 

Edit: I should have been more detailed and said, there's probably only been a couple CBs from Bama drafted in the first two rounds.  I'm sure there's been some players drafted in the 5-7th rounds and I hardly would qualify them not being stars as busts.

The point is that you can't say that "Saban CB's know how to play in any system and succeed in the NFL" because they haven't. 

I'm not calling them busts or terrible, the problem is the SEC isn't a star QB conference.  And the 'Bama defense always seems to be stacked year after year. So you play on the best team in College year after year, you play in a conference who hasn't had any star QBs,  and then claim the CBs are great?  According to who?  Easy to be great on great defenses playing against weak QBs.        They didn't look that great against Johnny Football and they sure didn't look that great against Georgia.      

The issue in college is most teams don't play as hard a schedule as everybody claims or thinks.   And the good teams are usually stacked.   It's why USC QBs for years never lived up to hype, guys like Bush never did either.  When you're on a stacked team playing inferior opponents weak in and weak out, it's easy to look great.     Some of those guys wind up being great, some don't,  but it's more about looking at raw talent compared to stats in college.

Oh ok so you have no idea what you're talking about and are just repeating stuff you heard on TV. 

Absolutely. LOL, did I not dumb it down enough for you?

It doesn't really sting me much when I'm happy to admit it. I trust Mayock knew what he was talking about, he is after all, the only guy paid by the NFL Network to exclusively provide information about college players as his job. 

Regardless, that's not what this is about. We began this back-and-forth on the premise of you crying about "Rex still being in charge", a conclusion you reached with the same infantile logic that probably now has you convincing yourself you "got me". 

If you want we can boil this down to a discussion of logic, since you won't directly defend your girlish tantrum, and you are trying SO hard to "win" on the Saban diversion...

My logic: as a casual fan, someone that freely admits the limitations of his knowledge of college scouting, I put blind faith in the statements of Mike Mayock, a guy who is widely regarded as one of the most informative, and best, analysts of college and professional football, primarily because he's Mayock, secondarily because the comments were about Saban, a guy whose program routinely churns out successful NFL players

Your logic: the Jets took 2 defensive players, in a draft that had 5 offensive skill players selected in the first 32 picks, there for "WAAHHHHHHHH REX IS STILL IN CHARGE" 

goulet-ram.jpg

Archived