Live Draft Discussion Thread - rounds 4-7

Sperm Edwards

Seems to me Swope, Rogers and Washington are all still available. I wonder if there's something causing them to drop; besides maybe they have just been overrated all year by the media.  Rogers is a stud, so I'm just assuming his character concerns are much worse than have been reported.  Surprised all three are still around.

Agreed, especially Swope for me, being as I followed his whole career. Guy measured to be taller than expected and ran a great time at the combine. His film is great too, so no idea what is going on?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness, they did sign Barnes to a multi-year deal and have high hopes for Ricky Sapp.  Not saying they're saviors, but it's clear they understood the dearth of talent we had there.  Also can't really complain seeing as how all the elite pass rushers in Mingo/Jordan/Ansah were off the board when we picked.

I'm not worried about the 3 OLB who were off the board in the first 6 picks.  Passing on Corey Lemonier, Damontre Moore, Alex Okafor, Cornelious Washington, Michael Buchanon- Meanwhile, we just drafted 2 guards, and signed another one yesterday.  So who out of Brick, Vlad, Mangold, Colon, Howard, Peterman, Winters and this 5th rounder from VA is going to be inactive on game day???  We're only going to dress 7.  Same goes for the RB-- which one of them is now going to get cut?  I like Barnes.  Been waiting for Sapp for 3 years now-- is he going to be my 10 sack guy?

I don't hate Winters, but man, to pass on Moore, Lemonier, and Okafor, and use two picks in a row at guard, seems crazy.  One of those guys is going to the bench.  Meanwhile, we still have holes all over.  Overfilling QB, RB, OL, and completly ignoring OLB, WR, TE, S.  We lost 2 guards this off season, and added 4.  We lost 1 RB and added 2.  We added 2 QB's. 

Jordan White and Demario Davis are the two things I am mad at Rex for last year.  They should have so much more game film on those two, not giving them every snap the last 6 weeks just made no sense.

See ... you just had no faith in Mark. All you had to do was listen to Rex when he said Mark was his guy and believe in it with him. Mark could have got us back into all those games so we had to grind it out on D ... if he just wasn't so horribly inept....

1. Disagree.

He's handling this team just like Seattle, build an attacking defense... support QB (young or old) with beefy O-line, and attacking run game. I'm going to say it right now, as long as Sanchez isn't turning the ball over 5 times a game, we are going to be a tough out. We'll compete for 2nd in the division.

Our defense is going to be a joy to watch. Our offensive line and QB will no longer be the achilles of the entire team. I think he's focused on finding guys to fix the mess in this draft and think he's done well.

2. Agree.

It's refreshing hearing that we'll have "nasty" offensive linemen, I want them to set the tone for the entire offense tbh.

We are going to be competitive, moreso than the 3-13 predictions I keep seeing. I also think with a lockerroom full of football loving lunch pail guys, it reduces risk of Rex "losing them" as he did the past 2 years.

Holmes has to go. He's the ******* worst.

You're a homer. The offense isn't competitive at this point and won't average 20 ppg. The defense didn't improve unless Richardson is JJ Watt.

I'm not worried about the 3 OLB who were off the board in the first 6 picks.  Passing on Corey Lemonier, Damontre Moore, Alex Okafor, Cornelious Washington, Michael Buchanon- Meanwhile, we just drafted 2 guards, and signed another one yesterday.  So who out of Brick, Vlad, Mangold, Colon, Howard, Peterman, Winters and this 5th rounder from VA is going to be inactive on game day???  We're only going to dress 7.  Same goes for the RB-- which one of them is now going to get cut?  I like Barnes.  Been waiting for Sapp for 3 years now-- is he going to be my 10 sack guy?

I don't hate Winters, but man, to pass on Moore, Lemonier, and Okafor, and use two picks in a row at guard, seems crazy.  One of those guys is going to the bench.  Meanwhile, we still have holes all over.  Overfilling QB, RB, OL, and completly ignoring OLB, WR, TE, S.  We lost 2 guards this off season, and added 4.  We lost 1 RB and added 2.  We added 2 QB's. 

I agree on Washington, I like him a lot as I thought he was played out of position last year at georgia and would have broken out if at OLB, however here we are at the bottom of the 5th round and he's still available. 

Both Moore and Okafor dropped much further than expected, so it's highly unlikely these guys were gonna be your 10 sack guy you're looking for.  I would have liked all the guys you mentioned, but it's clear they just flat out weren't BPA and I'm okay with that.  

Our defense was pretty fine last year with a beaten down Thomas and Pace, I don't see any way it's worse.  I'm with ya on wanting that OLB, but Idzik has a plan and I'm not faulting him for not deviating.

You're a homer. The offense isn't competitive at this point and won't average 20 ppg. The defense didn't improve unless Richardson is JJ Watt.

I think the defense improves solely on the fact that Wilkerson, Coples and some of those guys have another year under their belt and will take the next step.  I also think we improve automatically by having kyle wilson move back to the slot and not on an island.  I could  be dead wrong about both happening, with Milliner turning into Wilson 2.0 and Coples not progressing, but I'd just assume be optimistic, if for no other reason than to karmically balance you out in our jets' universe.

We averaged 17.6 points per game last year. What has changed? Well we didn't have Keller most of the year so that stays the same, we upgraded at QB, we gave the OL some love, and we revamped our RB stable. Oh, and we went from Sporano to Morninwheg. Huge upgrade, and the few WRs we do have, will be back healthy.

On defense we probably stay about the same, maybe better on run D, but slightly worse in pass D. Either way, I expect a top 10 D, and I think our rush offense makes a huge leap forward. 

I don't think that's being a homer, it's just acknowledging how bad we were, and the logic that fixing problems = improvement.

Another WR goes and Swope gets passed over again. Really hope he falls to us!

Same for Rogers and Washington. At this point, I'm assuming there's something major that's causing them to fall; either baggage is way too much to offset talent or just not as good as I had thought.  I'm more surprised washington is available than Rogers, as I can understand the character concerns with the latter.   I fully expect all three if available to be passed over for someone we've never heard, because that's usually how the end of the draft goes.

SF having another great draft. Carridine, Reid, lemonier, Patton, lattimore, Mcdonald. All good picks.

Very high risk high reword, which they are in the position to do.  Tank and lattimore both could turn out to be great picks just as likely as they are to never regain their previous form.  But that's what you're able to do when you have so many fantastic players on their rookie or manageable contracts.

Archived