Live Draft Discussion Thread - rounds 4-7

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oday Aboushi

I'm not even going to pretend I've ever heard of him.

Really? He's a pretty well known guy amongst the names left. Played LT at Virginia, a school who has put out some good OL recently, and only slipped this offseason because he's more pro G than pro T. I'd say he has starting potential as a LG.

Really? He's a pretty well known guy amongst the names left. Played LT at Virginia, a school who has put out some good OL recently, and only slipped this offseason because he's more pro G than pro T. I'd say he has starting potential as a LG.

There's a lot I don't know.  I don't watch college football.

one of my buddies was his coach at uva... i'll have to inquire about him

My old roommate used to coach at Umass and knew Vlads coach. He informed me Vlad was ******* retarded, that turned out to be true. I hope your friend gives a better scouting report

Mayock continues the bashing

It just seems to me that since the jets have a history of being bad at the draft... They love to pile on the jets... Now if the pats or the steelers or packers would have selected these players I can bet you anything there view would have been much different.

We probably could have added a 4th or 5th receiver rather than a starting guard here.

I'm convinced at this point that we're thinking we're good to go with Holmes, Hill and Kerley.  OR that there just wasn't enough value in the later rounds on some of these WR's to snag one.  If Hill takes some major steps developmentally, Idzik won't be wrong on this one.

Not sure what we're gonna do at TE and S though.

Oday Aboushi

Strengths
Tall left tackle with a growing frame. Flashes attitude to multiple punches and will take his man to the ground if he gets him off-balance. Takes his man downfield a few yards when he feels he has the physical advantage on a run play. Possesses good enough recovery speed to cut off spin moves. Mobile enough to lead run plays outside, can hit targets in space standing up or cutting them down. Good positional run blocker on the edge, can seal inside or outside to create lanes.

Weaknesses

Not an elite athlete, can be out-quicked on the edge though he usually recovers against college defenders. Will pop up out of his stance when laying back in pass pro (typically if tired) and continue to stay high throughout the play. Stops his feet when punching on occasion, or if his man hesitates, allowing secondary rushes.                           

NFL Comparison
Eben Britton

Bottom Line

The son of Palestinian parents has started on both sides of the line due to his build and determination. Improving his foot quickness when facing NFL-caliber rushers during the 2012 season and in his post-season work would aid his cause as a top 75 pick and project him as a sure-fire starter at left tackle.

staten island boy, xaverian high school........i like it

Skill-Set Summary: 

There is a lot for NFL teams to like about Aboushi as a potential starting left tackle. First of all, he is extremely athletic. Aboushi has unique speed and athleticism that are in demand for the next level. Those makes him ideally suited to be developed into a good pass-protector against speed-rushers coming off the blind side. Aboushi has light and quick feet that allow him to mirror edge-rushers, too. He moves quickly to get back and be in position to pick up blitzers.

Aboushi has nice length that he uses to help keep rushers at bay. His arms look long and shouldn't hurt his draft status like it has other tackles. There are times when Aboushi gets sloppy and is too reliant on his long arms. He reaches rather than moving into position. Aboushi needs to accentuate his ability to use his hands and feet at the same time.

Aboushi's quickness and burst also allow him to be a dangerous run-blocker on the second level of defenses. He fires out of his stance and uses his agility to get in position to hit blocks beyond the line of scrimmage.

When Aboushi goes up against undersized defensive linemen or linebackers, he sustains his blocks well. The defenders struggle to get off Aboushi once he gets into their pads and he finishes his blocks well. Aboushi will punish defensive linemen or other defenders who go to the ground with some violent blocks to finish them off.

Aboushi is put together well for the pro game. He is not overweight and has good stamina. However, the tackle could use another 10-15 pounds of muscle. That will definitely be possible with an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Aboushi needs to be consistent this year. He is dominant sometimes, coming across as the total package. He shows sloppy technique at other times, which gets him beaten. Aboushi needs more development, but he has real potential to be a starting offensive tackle in the NFL.

Aboushi definitely would fit best in a zone-blocking scheme that emphasizes athleticism and movement skills. He doesn't look like a natural in a power man-blocking offense.

Oday Aboushi

Strengths

Tall left tackle with a growing frame.

Flashes attitude to multiple punches and will take his man to the ground if he gets him off-balance. Takes his man downfield a few yards when he feels he has the physical advantage on a run play. Possesses good enough recovery speed to cut off spin moves. Mobile enough to lead run plays outside, can hit targets in space standing up or cutting them

down. Good positional run blocker on the edge, can seal inside or outside to create lanes.

Weaknesses

Not an elite athlete, can be out-quicked on the edge though he usually recovers against college defenders. Will pop up out of his stance when laying back in pass pro (typically if tired) and continue to stay high throughout the play. Stops his feet when punching on occasion, or if his man hesitates, allowing secondary rushes.                           

NFL Comparison

Eben Britton

Bottom Line

The son of Palestinian parents has started on both sides of the line due to his build and determination. Improving his foot quickness when facing NFL-caliber rushers during the 2012 season and in his post-season work would aid his cause as a top 75 pick and project him as a sure-fire starter at left tackle.

Looks soild enough.

I think Tennesee has done a lot to improve their OL in this draft, but we're right behind them. Our QBs got blown up last year, before worrying about finding WRs you gotta fix that line. 

I love this draft. 

The defense is supported by replacing the two most glaring losses: Revis and Devito/Pouha

The offense is reconfigured by: addressing the offensive line starters and depth, bringing in an entirely new rushing attack, and drafting the QB of the future. 

The outcry for WRs and TEs is silly, imo. Morninwheg ran a successful WCO in Philly for years without every having a highly touted WR. We have Hill, Kerley, Holmes and some veterans. I can remember McNabb putting up sick numbers and none of his WRs ever had more than like 50 catches, the ball got spread around.... and the TEs came from out of nowhere back then.

I am more please with this draft than any I've ever paid attention to for the Jets. No joke.

He and Winters have a shot at being good starting guards for us. Still, I wish they had brought Moore back on a short term deal.

I'm fine with Brick and Mangold taking on the role of veteran leaders. This is both guys' 8th season! Time flies!

I like the Aboushi pick more than the Winters pick, but I also know far too little about Winters. Has to be something that makes him two rounds better.

Well I guess the front office thinks we're set at WR.  Can't say I'm unhappy with more OL depth.  Hope Austin Howard's play doesn't slip next year though.

Meh, I don't know about that.  I think once you get into rounds 5 through 7, need goes right out the window, no matter how desperate of a need it may be.  You're not talking about an obvious starting solution no matter who you grab, so no point in reaching based on position.  If anything, I don't mind it simply because there seems to be a greater success rate for OL in late rounds than other positions.  I would guess the Jets are looking at building from the inside out and you'll see more of a focus on the playmakers come next year's FA/draft.

Meh, I don't know about that.  I think once you get into rounds 5 through 7, need goes right out the window, no matter how desperate of a need it may be.  You're not talking about an obvious starting solution no matter who you grab, so no point in reaching based on position.  If anything, I don't mind it simply because there seems to be a greater success rate for OL in late rounds than other positions.  I would guess the Jets are looking at building from the inside out and you'll see more of a focus on the playmakers come next year's FA/draft.

Yeah, we probably didn't really covet any WR prospects other than Tavon in this draft, and I'm OK with that.

Archived