Better chance of survival???

courtnj18

Mark Sanchez is a great blight that was visited upon us by cruel Fate. His time here is done. That said, I can't see Woody eating all that money. They can bring Mark back and make him the 3rd quarterback, and then he can go be Mario Lopez's stunt double on Extra.

As long as he sits on a depth chart behind Mario I have no problem with this, but if anything ever happens to Mario it could get rough. Like 2011 Colts rough, Mark has the personality of the droopy face dog.

Fine. As long as Geno Smith is on the sideline learning and holding a clipboard I dont care who is starting. Do not ruin this kid by throwing him into the fire right away.

So many QBs have had success right away.  He played all 4 years in college.  I think it should be a competition.  But if he is the best man, he should start from day one imo.

Quarterbacks should always be treated like an investment, if you have the chance to do anything to help them appreciate in value, you do it. Even if it's to the chagrin of the fans, or serves as a recurring punchline to the ever-unimaginative media.

I'm so fucking tired of the media spin on this. We have to pay him regardless, it's completely illogical NOT to bring him into camp with the rest and keep the best 3. Fans pushing the "it's a distraction" angle are dense. If guys can't handle "distraction" then they get weeded out, but you don't pre-emptively start cutting guys with $8m salaries "just in case it might be distracting".

Hell, Sanchez is the only one likely to be distracted. I'd think any competitive minded player would thrive on the chance to beat him out head-to-head. Cutting Sanchez, rather than letting someone beat him out does nothing but serve as continuation of the coddling culture that ruined Sanchez, only in this case we'd be coddling the person beating him out.

You keep them all, let them thrash it out... whoever is left standing... that's our guy.

The only problem with that is how little they get to work them under the new CBA.  The new practice schedule is a joke and there are so few snaps to be had.  They can't have a 4 man competition (Sanchez, Smith, Garrard, Tebow).  Or even a 3 man competition if you take Tebow out of the mix.

Side note:  McElroy probably spent most of the offseason thinking he was going to win the job.  Would he even play in the preseason with so many guys ahead of him?

Harsh but I agree.

Just curious, but why award winning Hollywood movie star Natalie Portman as your avatar? 

---------------

As far as the real topic - keep Tebow, cut Sanchez as soon as it saves cap space, and give Geno Smith at least 5-6 starts. 

So many QBs have had success right away. He played all 4 years in college. I think it should be a competition. But if he is the best man, he should start from day one imo.

In general I agree but the fact we're working in maybe 3 New lineman and our skill position players are literally worse than what Geno had in college I don't feel like tossing him into a no win situation. No point in shaking his confidence, plus making him really work and feel like he earned it would be a 180 from what we did with Mark.

What else can he say if he expects to cut him in a month or so?  He would not say he is cutting him.  I think it is a question of whehter he is looking for a trade, or whether he wants to cut him before or after June 1.  I believe he will be gone.

I figured Mark would hang around.  I don't see Tebow making it to camp.  He's the easiest to get rid of out them all, and we need to cut back regardless.

The thing for me continues to be that between the two of them, I think Tebow is more likely to get something back in a trade eventually. 

What else can he say if he expects to cut him in a month or so?  He would not say he is cutting him.  I think it is a question of whehter he is looking for a trade, or whether he wants to cut him before or after June 1.  I believe he will be gone.

The June 1 date is inconsequential for cap purposes now. You can release a player at any time and give him that June 1 designation. But what makes that date potentially realistic is the fact that the Jets have OTAs for two weeks at the end of May and beginning of June. They'll have a chance to look at all of their QBs, and could be able to decide who's worth bringing into training camp from there. If Mark is clearly having a mental breakdown around Garrard and Smith, there really isn't much reason to hold onto him. It's not like they were ever going to get their $8.25M worth out of him, anyway. 

The thing for me continues to be that between the two of them, I think Tebow is more likely to get something back in a trade eventually. 

The June 1 date is inconsequential for cap purposes now. You can release a player at any time and give him that June 1 designation. But what makes that date potentially realistic is the fact that the Jets have OTAs for two weeks at the end of May and beginning of June. They'll have a chance to look at all of their QBs, and could be able to decide who's worth bringing into training camp from there. If Mark is clearly having a mental breakdown around Garrard and Smith, there really isn't much reason to hold onto him. It's not like they were ever going to get their $8.25M worth out of him, anyway. 

I also think it is probably a concern that one of these guys could get hurt in a freak play on the field.  Why cut before you must?

Keep Tebow - he actually has some use in the NFL, let him start day 1.

Cut Sanchez - the sooner we put that stain on the organization behind us, the better. 

Keep Garrard - as the old guy mentor on the team who helps bring Geno along.

Keep Geno - he's the future, hopefully.

Cut McElroy - give him a head start on his coaching career because he absolutely cant play NFL Football.

Kill Sims - feel like we need a sacrificial lamb to undo the jinx. 

The Jets were afraid to start Sanchez at home at the end of last season. If they really give him a chance to start in the preseason -in a home game- the fans will be quick and harsh in reminding them that they want nothing to do with him. 

If I'm Idzik, I'm willing to eat 7/8ths of his guarantee to find a trade partner. If even that isn't enough, I'm talking to Sanchez about taking a cut in the guarantee in exchange for releasing him sooner rather than later. The idea being that he'll have a better chance catching on somewhere the more time he has to look. By the time training camp rolls around, if he's cut, he could easily wind up sitting out the year. 

I'm currently thinking holding onto Tebow and rehabilitating his stock is a smart option. Maybe get something of real value for him in a trade next year. 

Looks like Tebow was cut.   Sanchez is just to damn expensive to cut.    What owner would want to eat that ?

Either Sanchez or Garrard will start all 16 games

I can not see anyway either one of those happening IMO

The only way it happens is if they're healthy for the whole season, and the Jets are in contention for a playoff spot right thru week 17. Tough to imagine Garrard lasting the season healthy, or Sanchez leading a playoff run, so I'd have to agree with faba. 

Archived