Cimini: Chris Ivory, Jets agree to a 3-year, $6 million deal

gsnts725

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JfIm1HNe

AP source: Jets, Ivory agree to 3-year deal

DENNIS WASZAK Jr.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) - A person familiar with the situation says the New York Jets and newly acquired running back Chris Ivory have agreed in principle to a three-year, $10 million deal.

The deal Saturday comes after the Jets traded a fourth-round draft pick to the New Orleans Saints on Friday night. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team hadn't announced the contract.

NFL Network first reported the contract.

Ivory has a shot at being the Jets' starter in a backfield that includes Bilal Powell, Joe McKnight and recently signed Mike Goodson.

Ivory, undrafted out of Tiffin in 2010, rushed for 217 yards and two TDs on 40 carries last year. He was stuck on the Saints' depth chart behind Mark Ingram, Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of you guys must be blind. ive seen all the YouTube high lights. i look @ him and see marshawn lynch type running style all day and maybe even faster. i certainly am not starstruck by chris ivory as i also see lawrence maroney in him.

some of you guys must be blind. ive seen all the YouTube high lights. i look @ him and see marshawn lynch type running style all day and maybe even faster. i certainly am not starstruck by chris ivory as i also see lawrence maroney in him.

Que?  I'm not at all sure where you're going with this. Are you trying to build him up or tear him down?  

I went back and watched Greenes highlights over the years and he looks like the next coming of Barry Sanders/Marshall Faulk. Do you always look at a players 2minute highlight reel to determine how good he is? Now I'm not saying Ivory is useless. He's better than Greene and possibly an above average RB. But Marshawn Lynch? THE beast?

Who is our starting RB on opening day? Ivory? Goodson? Powell?

A primary rotation of Ivory and Goodson?  Ivory definitely has to carry the rock to earn his keep.  By the way, all the critics who cite his last two seasons and say he's done nothing seem to ignore the fact that he rushed for over 700 yards in 2010.  If he stays healthy, he could really be a beast as a starting RB.

I would rather they kept the 4th round pick and taken UCLA's Franklin.    Different kind of player, but the kid was one of the best running backs in the nation last year and has average around 1K yards ever year.  Far more upside, cheaper, etc.     Ivory has not proven a damn thing in college or the pros.  Great we have a bunch of 'smart' people checking out a couple of his youtube highlights.  2 good games doesn't make a good RB.    And at $3 million, not even close to being worth it.   And that's without his injury concerns.

A primary rotation of Ivory and Goodson?  Ivory definitely has to carry the rock to earn his keep.  By the way, all the critics who cite his last two seasons and say he's done nothing seem to ignore the fact that he rushed for over 700 yards in 2010.  If he stays healthy, he could really be a beast as a starting RB.

this

and I think 3 years at 10 mil is a fair deal and I believe he will out play that contract

Every time I've seen Ivory carry the football I've been impressed. I've even said to myself "man how do we get this guy on the jets?" Obviously I am very happy. Impressive blend of size, speed, home run threat and most of all unwillingness to go down after first contact. This guy runs hard and fights for every yard. You won't see him peeling his fat ass off the turf after every carry (cough shonn Greene) either.

Every time I've seen Ivory carry the football I've been impressed. I've even said to myself "man how do we get this guy on the jets?" Obviously I am very happy. Impressive blend of size, speed, home run threat and most of all unwillingness to go down after first contact. This guy runs hard and fights for every yard. You won't see him peeling his fat ass off the turf after every carry (cough shonn Greene) either.

So he's a feature back, provided he stays healthy?

Que? I'm not at all sure where you're going with this. Are you trying to build him up or tear him down?

a little of both i guess;) im not goin to base my opinion entirely on a small clip of his highlights however thats all there really is until training camp.

I went back and watched Greenes highlights over the years and he looks like the next coming of Barry Sanders/Marshall Faulk. Do you always look at a players 2minute highlight reel to determine how good he is? Now I'm not saying Ivory is useless. He's better than Greene and possibly an above average RB. But Marshawn Lynch? THE beast?

dont remember many solid stiff arms by greene, burst in the open field, yards after contact or trucking through multiple defenders before being taken down. ivory could end up as greene but i want to be excited about something:/ so hopefully ivory has his best "highlights" in front of him. greene got this same contract from tennesee, i would rather give it to ivory for what little i know of him than to greene knowing his entire body of work.

I took a lot of sh*t cause I hated this trade. I get he's better then any other running back on our team but

A. They would have taken less, they are in a horrible cap situation to the point they can't sign rookies and they don't play him anyway. Plus he's a FA nest year, TB used that on us.

B. He's ALWAYS INJURED because of the fact he runs like a boss

C. At the fourth there where other RB's I would have rather taken a shot on or another offensive weapon I think would have been a better bet because of the money involved

I say all this in the hope that I can continue to be sh*t on for being wrong the next 3 years since being wrong is what I'm good at. I hope he becomes a feature back but what are the chances we get any real value out of this deal? If it we wanted a RB I would have rather gone with Jonathan Franklin or even Lattimore on Rookie deals. We're not ready to compete for real till next year anyway

A. They would have taken less, they are in a horrible cap situation to the point they can't sign rookies and they don't play him anyway. Plus he's a FA nest year, TB used that on us.

Unless you're telling me you were drinking last night, I don't understand what you're saying here. Lol. He'll certainly play, this thread is about him signing for three years, and what about TB?

And they'll sign all their rookies, and probably a couple cheap vets, too. 

I'm not thrilled with it. I don't think his highlight reel will even come close playing for a substandard offense like the Jets when compared to what he could do in New Orleans. But he certainly has fans here, and the contract isn't terrible. If he's an upgrade over Greene (a given?), then it's probably a good deal. 

I took a lot of sh*t cause I hated this trade. I get he's better then any other running back on our team but

B. He's ALWAYS INJURED because of the fact he runs like a boss

C. At the fourth there where other RB's I would have rather taken a shot on or another offensive weapon I think would have been a better bet because of the money involved

I say all this in the hope that I can continue to be sh*t on for being wrong the next 3 years since being wrong is what I'm good at. I hope he becomes a feature back but what are the chances we get any real value out of this deal? If it we wanted a RB I would have rather gone with Jonathan Franklin or even Lattimore on Rookie deals. We're not ready to compete for real till next year anyway

A. I agree, but Jets waited till last day. Can't blame them though.

B. our entire group of 2013 off season acquisitions are injury prone. If they weren't, price would have been much steeper for all.

C. No rookie 4th rounder would be better than Ivory.

Agreed but he's better than Greene was although he's no Thomas Jones. ( had to add that lol ) . I just hope he stays healthy.

He's a better runner than Greene but he's had 3 catches over last two yrs, nothing like what the Jets. Sexes. We'd be tipping off plays again. Goodson is the better all around RB though.

The big issue I have with this is why trade for anyone? We're not a good team with or without him. We need to get our cap right. We need young players and we need multiple holes filled. We could have used that money to keep Slausson and bell for example and still had the draft pick for someone like Jon Franklin or quinton Patton. But instead two of the best organizations in football drafted them. Jon Franklin/quinton Patton at 500k a year is 10 times better than ivory at 3.3mil a year. Can't believe they did this.

The big issue I have with this is why trade for anyone? We're not a good team with or without him. We need to get our cap right. We need young players and we need multiple holes filled. We could have used that money to keep Slausson and bell for example and still had the draft pick for someone like Jon Franklin or quinton Patton. But instead two of the best organizations in football drafted them. Jon Franklin/quinton Patton at 500k a year is 10 times better than ivory at 3.3mil a year. Can't believe they did this.

Patton's ceiling is a player the Jets already have on their roster and while I guess Franklin could be better than Ivory, it's nowhere near a sure thing. Ivory is a young guy with little tread on his tires who has performed at a very high level in the NFL. It's the exact profile of a RB you want to acquire on the upswing of his career. Remember the last RB tannenbaum signed? A clearly declining LT. 

Archived