Cimini: Chris Ivory, Jets agree to a 3-year, $6 million deal

gsnts725

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can he pass protect? If he cannot, he is not worth this trade or contract.....

That, to me, was a good reason to trade for him instead of drafting a rookie.  A rookie you can assume will suck at blocking and risk missing a lot of his assignments.  A veteran entering his 4th year - even if in a new system - is theoretically going to know better and have experience and have his technique down.

The bad news is I read that two things kept Ivory on the bench for the first half of the reg season from screwing up in pre-season: fumbling and poor pass protection.  Now they did bump him back up during the season, so either he got the latter straightened out or they had no choice.  My guess is he got much better at it in practice or they wouldn't let him back on the field and put Brees at risk, and also wouldn't have signed him to a RFA contract with their cap money so tight just on the hopes someone would trade for him.

dont remember many solid stiff arms by greene, burst in the open field, yards after contact or trucking through multiple defenders before being taken down. ivory could end up as greene but i want to be excited about something:/ so hopefully ivory has his best "highlights" in front of him. greene got this same contract from tennesee, i would rather give it to ivory for what little i know of him than to greene knowing his entire body of work.

Hit the nail on the head!

Why pay Greene when you know his ceiling/abilities (which arent great)the same $, when Ivory has shown he has potential to exceed them?

No brainer...plus he can catch...plus he can stutter step....plus he keeps moving even after he hits the ground...etc, etc.

Honestly, Greene is a very substandard NFL running back. You cannot point to one aspect of his game that is above average. Not one.

Scaring the sh*t out of Cromartie worked out that one time...but thats about it. Lol

The big issue I have with this is why trade for anyone? We're not a good team with or without him. We need to get our cap right. We need young players and we need multiple holes filled. We could have used that money to keep Slausson and bell for example and still had the draft pick for someone like Jon Franklin or quinton Patton. But instead two of the best organizations in football drafted them. Jon Franklin/quinton Patton at 500k a year is 10 times better than ivory at 3.3mil a year. Can't believe they did this.

No, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

We shouldve kept the underachieving, loser, middle of the road, disgruntled, older and aging veterens...to mentor our new comers...this way, we keep the same philosphy and maybe by the end of training camp...we'll have the same mindsight as last year...THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

In Idzik We Trust

dont remember many solid stiff arms by greene, burst in the open field, yards after contact or trucking through multiple defenders before being taken down. ivory could end up as greene but i want to be excited about something:/ so hopefully ivory has his best "highlights" in front of him. greene got this same contract from tennesee, i would rather give it to ivory for what little i know of him than to greene knowing his entire body of work.

Their respective pro days were 3-4 years ago already, but 4.49 speed and 4.59 speed aren't the same thing. Also Greene has looked slower recently than he was as a rookie. 

We'll see what we've got soon enough.  

Unless you're telling me you were drinking last night, I don't understand what you're saying here. Lol. He'll certainly play, this thread is about him signing for three years, and what about TB?

And they'll sign all their rookies, and probably a couple cheap vets, too.

I'm not thrilled with it. I don't think his highlight reel will even come close playing for a substandard offense like the Jets when compared to what he could do in New Orleans. But he certainly has fans here, and the contract isn't terrible. If he's an upgrade over Greene (a given?), then it's probably a good deal.

I was drinking scotch heavily and geeked up.

I was saying the Saints hardly use him and they would have had to let him walk next year for nothing like us with Revis. That along with their need to clear cap and the amount of money we gave him, I think we overpayed.

McNight

Based on ???  Nice return guy but what else has he shown?  BTW, this guy was a major let down among Trojan fans -- much to my delight.  He's all-shake, no-bake as a RB.  That's why Ivory and Goodson are here.

Like Ivory and the contract is reasonable.

But what's our plan, we seem to be stuck somewhere in between rebuilding and trying for 9-7 and a wild card.

I think we needed to just draft as many young talented guys we can this year, suck it up, finish 3-13 get a top pick. Then you start making smart signings like this.

I have no problem with the contract, especially given the revised numbers, even though I didn't love the Jets giving up a 4th for him.  That said, considering I was fine with them making the move for a 5th, it's probably not worth getting too worked up over a one round difference of a day 3 pick.  I actually like the kid a lot as a player given what I've seen from him over the past few years, it's just the health concerns that make you a bit wary.  While Powell has been dismissed by most at this point, I thought he was solid last year and I'm guessing you'll actually see him getting a good chunk of carries as Ivory's primary backup in an attempt to help keep Ivory healthy while Goodson works primarily as the 3rd down back.

People act like the Saints were some rushing powerhouse and he sat behind Barry Sanders or something.  The team was near the bottom in the NFL in rushing.

True the Saints are a passing team, but if you cant' even play on a team who isn't exactly 'stacked' with great running backs, it's more than just injury issues.

I mean the leading rusher, Ingram, had 600 yards and something like 3.9 YPC.    You would think a team who thought a guy who had 5.1 YPC would get more than 40 carries.   That's saying a lot.   I just think it's funny people are so enthralled with the guys highlights and use the excuse he wasn't used properly in New Orleans.  The Saints rushing attack sucked.  Their running backs sucked.   Ivory couldn't even be a backup on that team whose leading rusher averaged 3.9 YPC.

People act like the Saints were some rushing powerhouse and he sat behind Barry Sanders or something.  The team was near the bottom in the NFL in rushing.

True the Saints are a passing team, but if you cant' even play on a team who isn't exactly 'stacked' with great running backs, it's more than just injury issues.

I mean the leading rusher, Ingram, had 600 yards and something like 3.9 YPC.    You would think a team who thought a guy who had 5.1 YPC would get more than 40 carries.   That's saying a lot.   I just think it's funny people are so enthralled with the guys highlights and use the excuse he wasn't used properly in New Orleans.  The Saints rushing attack sucked.  Their running backs sucked.   Ivory couldn't even be a backup on that team whose leading rusher averaged 3.9 YPC.

While you've made it excessively clear you are not a fan of Ivory's, and that's fine, are you really suggesting that you can't envision why a team would possibly start it's first round pick over a UDFA?  As Jets fans, we should all understand better than anyone a team's penchant for giving a 1st rounder far more chances than they deserve, no matter how awful they may be.  That's only compounded by the fact that Ingram was their leading rusher despite having, by far, the worst YPC of any RB on the Saints last year, just as he did his rookie year.

In need of a thread title change: RB Chris Ivory didn't receive $10M, as widely reported. It was 3 yr deal, $6M, including $2.25 signing bonus. 

For those that were strongly against the move because of the amount of money, what say you now?? Still dislike it or more palatable? 

In need of a thread title change: RB Chris Ivory didn't receive $10M, as widely reported. It was 3 yr deal, $6M, including $2.25 signing bonus. 

For those that were strongly against the move because of the amount of money, what say you now?? Still dislike it or more palatable? 

I was happy with this deal at 10.  

Someone floated the notion that he can make UP to $10M if he hits yardage bonuses.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm always in favor of performance based incentives...

Agreed.  I don't know it it's true or not, but I would imagine if he does hit said incentives that ten million will still end up being a bargain for him.  I liked the  move at $10 million, so I'm even more thrilled at $6.  This draft reminds me so much of seattles draft last year it's eery: first round pick defensive front 7 explosive athlete, QB rated high on their board in the 3rd round, traded for a RB (lynch) in round 5, 5 of the next 8 draft picks came on the defensive front 7 or the oline and then tossed in two CBs and a RB with the rest.  The formula just seems identical: build up both lines, get RBs on the roster you believe in, get long athletic corners and find a QB you want to groom.  Not saying it'll turn out like Seattle, one can only hope, but the philosophy is pretty spot on.

Fixed

Under Tanny, Ivory would not have hit on his escalators. Of course, Tanny didn't sign him cuz hes gone, but Idzik/Rex might take a similar approach and allow him just enough of a role to not cross that incentive mark, assuming its in 4 digits.

That's not a lot of money for a RB. A good portion of that $10mil is in incentives. There are injury concerns but with the upside, there's really nothing to bitch about.

The initially reported 3 years $10mil deal was actually pretty high considering he was already under contract for this year for $2mil. It was essentially a 2 yr, $8mil extension for a player that has never played a full season. Even then, I mentioned it was slightly higher for my liking. This 3 years, $6 mil is actually a very team friendly figure. The $4 mil escalator is absolutely fine with me. It guarantees production in order to reach it.

Archived